Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

..oh.

Well, the point is that, while SMG will age wonderfully as the years go by, there's still lots of room for improvement. I mean, it going to HD alone would help things substantially, like the aliasing, for example (though admittedly, it's not nearly a big a problem with SMG as it is with say, Skyward Sword. Wtf happened there, Nintendo?!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cliff Racer posted:

No, I wasn't a fan of the "clay" art style, at least in pictures, I haven't played the remake so I can't say how it looks in motion. But apparently the sail improved game play and its not like Windwaker is playable on Wii U otherwise.

It is playable on the Wii U. You just use a gamecube loader to do it.

I mean, if we're talking about something being playable as the end-all reason-not-to-do-it-again

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Mr Interweb posted:

Do you think WW HD was better looking than the original?

It's an arguable point. Dynamic lighting and higher resolution textures makes WWHD the prettier game in some areas, while the harsh HDR and incredibly ugly scenes that can result from the lighting engine not being entirely well-planned makes for a less cohesive visual style. For a game that's meant to be relaxing and feel-good, WWHD's visuals are a little too striking at times, though I think certain shots are completely gorgeous, and it wows me more than the original does.

All that said, there are so many quality-of-life changes to WWHD that make it a better experience that I'd rather play it than the original. Super Mario Sunshine could almost definitely see a big bump from visual, musical, and possibly gameplay(-al?) changes, provided Nintendo decides to take that route with a remake of the game.

e;

Mr Interweb posted:

(though admittedly, it's not nearly a big a problem with SMG as it is with say, Skyward Sword. Wtf happened there, Nintendo?!)
I would think Twilight Princess would have seen the biggest improvements, especially because it has a lot of dark settings that would have hugely benefited from the dynamic shadows, but man I don't know technology.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 8, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Nintendo comes out with a few enough games a year that I'd really rather they focus on making new games rather than just revamping and tweaking old ones.

I dunno, I just find it to get excited over rereleases. I have more HD re-releases for my PS3 than I'd like to admit but it's not like I was excited by any of those (well maybe Ico/SotC and Okami, but that's it). I also got those all for like less than $15 per collection while with Nintendo games they never go down in price so it'll take quite awhile before I can even justify buying it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ultigonio posted:

I would think Twilight Princess would have seen the biggest improvements, especially because it has a lot of dark settings that would have hugely benefited from the dynamic shadows, but man I don't know technology.

If they rereleased Twilight Princess but made it have Wind Waker's art style and colors I'd be SO down

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

PerrineClostermann posted:

It is playable on the Wii U. You just use a gamecube loader to do it.

I mean, if we're talking about something being playable as the end-all reason-not-to-do-it-again

Which isn't something nintendo would promote or want you to do. At this point you're just being obtuse; there's a pretty clear difference between remaking a wii game, something openly and officially still playable on the console, and a pre wii game. And there are more non backwards compatible PS3s than backwards compatible at this point by far.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ultigonio posted:

Oh, yeah TP would be helped immensely by an upgrade. In its case, it's that it happens to be really inconsistent. Some parts look great (the palace of twilight and the Gerudo desert), but other parts look like rear end (Ordon Village, most of the ground in the game).

axleblaze posted:

Nintendo comes out with a few enough games a year that I'd really rather they focus on making new games rather than just revamping and tweaking old ones.

I dunno, I just find it to get excited over rereleases. I have more HD re-releases for my PS3 than I'd like to admit but it's not like I was excited by any of those (well maybe Ico/SotC and Okami, but that's it). I also got those all for like less than $15 per collection while with Nintendo games they never go down in price so it'll take quite awhile before I can even justify buying it.

Well I just mentioned that since we were on the subject of remakes. I would definitely prefer the next Mario to be be SMG3, however.

Oh, and since we're talking about graphics, what is the deal with Mario Kart 8? It looks absolutely amazing. The MK team has never been incompetent when it comes to graphics, but they've never been stellar either. The games have always been mid to high B level in terms of looks and pushing the hardware, but MK8 is arguably the best looking game on the Wii U. Even better than what the graphics wizards at EAD Tokyo were able to pump out with SM3DW.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mr Interweb posted:

Oh, and since we're talking about graphics, what is the deal with Mario Kart 8? It looks absolutely amazing.

60 FPS, it really does make that big of a difference

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Interweb posted:

The games have always been mid to high B level in terms of looks and pushing the hardware, but MK8 is arguably the best looking game on the Wii U. Even better than what the graphics wizards at EAD Tokyo were able to pump out with SM3DW.

I disagree. I've been playing them both lately and think 3D World looks better. Don't get me wrong, they both look really nice but I see rough edges and flaws in MK I don't notice in 3D World.

If you play split screen MK, the flaws become even more pronounced and you can start to notice them in single player.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
edit: Found the answer to my problem.

In other words, I gotta say even though it has been said, Mario Kart 8 is gorgeous. If you don't have it go get it!

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 8, 2014

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It would be completely unnecessary but I would totally buy Metroid Prime again if it were made HD. And yes, I know it still looks fantastic to this day but I wouldn't be able to pass it up.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Trying to play through my back catalog of games and I'm trying to play Lego Marvel. What a terrible port. It pretty consistently drops to a nearly unplayable FPS.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Is the premium bundle really worth it over the basic pack? The difference is about $140 here, and I already have a Wii sensor bar and an external hard drive I can use.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Mad Katter posted:

Is the premium bundle really worth it over the basic pack? The difference is about $140 here, and I already have a Wii sensor bar and an external hard drive I can use.
Do you plan on buying any games digitally? If yes the digital download promotion could be worth it for you

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Xik posted:

I disagree. I've been playing them both lately and think 3D World looks better. Don't get me wrong, they both look really nice but I see rough edges and flaws in MK I don't notice in 3D World.

If you play split screen MK, the flaws become even more pronounced and you can start to notice them in single player.

I think MK8 wowed me a little more than 3D World, but 3D World's style is a little more strong and easy on the eyes, and it's a little more tasteful with certain effects (the bloom/HDR*, for example). Either way, I think Art of Balance does some of the prettiest stuff I've seen with the hardware. I want to see it in motion so badly.

*I note both because I have a hard time telling the two apart.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Who knew choosing a free game would be so tough? What did you guys opt for? I'm torn between Windwaker HD (never played it, not a *huge* Zelda fan, but I enjoy them somewhat) and NSMBU (love me the Marios)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Go for NSMBU. A lot of people complain about the music and art style being generic, myself included, but it's a great platformer and easily the best of the "New" games. The extra modes are awesome too.

I saw someone mention this in the MK8 thread but redeeming the free game from the MK8 deal actually counts towards the Digital Deluxe Promotion.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

noirstronaut posted:

Who knew choosing a free game would be so tough? What did you guys opt for? I'm torn between Windwaker HD (never played it, not a *huge* Zelda fan, but I enjoy them somewhat) and NSMBU (love me the Marios)

I think if I didn't already own NSMBU I would have opted for that. The game is ridiculously fun. I went for Wind Waker but sort of regret it as I have already played it. Pikmin 3 should have been what I went for.

But ah well, Wind Waker is a fun game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

SeANMcBAY posted:

Go for NSMBU. A lot of people complain about the music and art style being generic, myself included, but it's a great platformer and easily the best of the "New" games. The extra modes are awesome too.

I saw someone mention this in the MK8 thread but redeeming the free game from the MK8 deal actually counts towards the Digital Deluxe Promotion.

Yep, for $60 you get Mario Kart, a choice of second game, and $10 for Deluxe owners. It almost works out to three games, if you have your eyes on a GBA or SNES game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Elliotw2 posted:

Yep, for $60 you get Mario Kart, a choice of second game, and $10 for Deluxe owners. It almost works out to three games, if you have your eyes on a GBA or SNES game.

Get Earthbound

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Elliotw2 posted:

Wait, can this be explained? I got the MK8 bundle and if I can play Earthbound on my Wii U, I am going to do that all drat day.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

24 hours after you first activate everything, go to https://ddp.nintendo.com and sign into your NNID. Then you can get two $5 codes for the eShop, and you can get another $5 code for every $50 you spend in the eShop. It's worth keeping in mind that it counts actual purchases, and gift codes from Club Nintendo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

noirstronaut posted:

Wait, can this be explained? I got the MK8 bundle and if I can play Earthbound on my Wii U, I am going to do that all drat day.

Well the MK8 Bundle has a Deluxe system, which means you get access to the Digital Deluxe Program. For every $50 you spend on the eShop, you get a $5 redeemable credit for use on any 3DS or Wii U. Mario Kart 8 counts for 60 and so does whatever free game you redeem via Club Nintendo, giving you $10 in eShop credits redeemable via the website I just linked.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's on virtual console. So step one. Register your WiiU and tie your eShop account to Club Nintendo. Step 2. When you register your WiiU or Mario Kart 8 on club Nintendo it will prompt you for your free game, pick one of those. Step 3. Go to https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/ This is the deluxe digital promotion. Basically for every $50 you get a $5 eShop card. Mario Kart 8 and the free game are going to count for more than $100 probably and you will probably get 2 $5 gift cards. Step 4. Earthbound is available on Virtual Console.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Ah, wonderful. Thanks everyone! I think I'll go with NSMBU but I feel like I'm missing something entirely by skipping Wind Waker.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

noirstronaut posted:

Ah, wonderful. Thanks everyone! I think I'll go with NSMBU but I feel like I'm missing something entirely by skipping Wind Waker.

You're missing a lot of tedious boring-rear end sailing. I don't hate the game the way I used to, but sailing to get around is a real chore before you get a couple items/abilities to make travel bearable. Get it if it's ever super cheap, but cash in your code on something more valuable.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So I'm in like NSMBU Level 3-3 and it only now occurs to me that this ugly rear end Yoshi I picked up a dozen levels ago is actually the worlds most over-powered easy mode and not something I'm intended to be using.

I realize this because I just completed a swimming level in a Mario game and didn't loving hate it and there's not a drat chance I'm giving it up.

Also you only get $5 from registering the Mario Kart bundle. Mario Kart is packed in, not a download. I didn't get a Club Nintendo code for it either, so no 70 points either.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Meldonox posted:

You're missing a lot of tedious boring-rear end sailing. I don't hate the game the way I used to, but sailing to get around is a real chore before you get a couple items/abilities to make travel bearable. Get it if it's ever super cheap, but cash in your code on something more valuable.

It's totally bullshit the US gets such a small selection of games. I'll be going with Wind Waker because it's the only one I'd get any use out of (I own NSMBU, I don't like Pikmin games and wouldn't use the party game often enough). But I'd totally use it on Sonic Lost World if I had that option. It seems fun from the demo but not fun enough that I'd want to spend money on it.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Macaluso posted:

It's totally bullshit the US gets such a small selection of games. I'll be going with Wind Waker because it's the only one I'd get any use out of (I own NSMBU, I don't like Pikmin games and wouldn't use the party game often enough). But I'd totally use it on Sonic Lost World if I had that option. It seems fun from the demo but not fun enough that I'd want to spend money on it.

Yep. Only reason I'm not harping on everyone to get Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is because it's not on offer for everyone (well, and it's seen sales lately and will again). Best game on the console easily.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Interweb posted:

Why not remake a legitimately great game if one is going to go through the effort of making a remake?

Eternal Darkness :unsmigghh:.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eternal Darkness :unsmigghh:.
Imagine the insanity effects they could do on the gamepad :vince:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Who even has the rights to Eternal Darkness at this point? Does Silicon Knights even still exist in any form?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo owns the IP, Silocon Knights/Dyack are never gonna do anything worthwhile ever again, Eternal Darkness is (hopefully) gone forever.

Tecmo-Koei already announced a new Fatal Frame for Wii U, a franchise Nintendo seems to have some sort of stake or at least heavy interest in, so I can't imagine they'd be working on two horror games at once.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The funny thing is Silicon Knghts were actually working on Eternal Darkness 2, but that's partially what caused their downfall because they were putting way more of the money they were getting paid to make the crappy X-men game into ET2 than they were into the X-men game.

They were just sort of a terrible company that managed to make two good games.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Macaluso posted:

If you're interested in Sonic Lost World and haven't bought Mario Kart 8 yet, you can get $20 off Lost World if you order MK8 from Best Buy online.

I'm going with Pikmin 3. Any reason why you say you don't like the Pikmin games? I've heard pretty much only good things about the third game. In fact I don't think I've heard any really big complaints about the series, though admittedly it is pretty niche.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I don't even own a Wii U yet and I've already purchased:

Mario Kart 8
Pikmin 3
NSMBU
Mario 3D
W101
ZombiU

I think I have a problem. I really wish the goddamn refurb shop would ship my order.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I think I have a problem. I really wish the goddamn refurb shop would ship my order.

I know how you feel! I paid for overnight shipping Friday morning, checking the status it looks like "Overnight" means "Monday."

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

CatsPajamas posted:

I know how you feel! I paid for overnight shipping Friday morning, checking the status it looks like "Overnight" means "Monday."

I ordered Thursday and it still says "processing".

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Overnight just means that Fedex will drop it off the day after Nintendo gets off their lazy butts and put it in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

Comrade Flynn posted:

I ordered Thursday and it still says "processing".

Really? I ordered Thursday and it shipped the next day. Getting it tomorrow.

• Locked thread