Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bellbros? No, bellbras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Clearly bellbra-less

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bellbrahs.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Went back to an old character of mine, who's in full Heide Knight getup. Might as well be a Heide Knight run, along with being a Blue Sentinel. Gonna be tempted to use miracles even though the Heide Knights don't seem to use them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

West Ham Sandwich posted:

what happened to that bra, huh :colbert:

Clearly she unequipped it to put on the wings. You can only wear one thing in a slot, after all. :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

West Ham Sandwich posted:

what happened to that bra, huh :colbert:

It is kind of weird that your underwear will vanish depending on what kind of armour you're wearing. It was really weird to me in Dark Souls when wearing one piece of the Baldur armour caused you to wear a really small thong for seemingly no reason.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

animatorZed posted:

You're looking at it in the wrong way. Think about it. If the blue/red phantoms are invading, they have to be in the belltower. In the belltower. Next to the bell. They could be bellringers. That gray one over there? He might be standing with you now, but in his world, he could be a bellringer. You never know. You have to be safe, keep the bell safe. Kill them all.

Well the bluecop doesn't have to be in the Belltower. Won't you give the spirit of jolly cooperative murder a chance? :colbert:

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Man, had a fun crazy 4 person free for all in the belfry, invading here is the best.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How important is armor/physical resists in PVP? I fought a guy with mixed havels/ironclad armor and couldn't believe my caestus were hitting him for 68 damage. It was clear my caestus would break before I could kill him. For reference I have 46 STR / 33 DEX and my caestus have a respectable AR of 306.

On a different note, good lord the Chariot Lance is incredible. I think the 1-handed lunges are longer than the 2-handed attacks, but don't quote me on that. It's proven to be deliciously effective against casters in particular.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Sanctum posted:

How important is armor/physical resists in PVP? I fought a guy with mixed havels/ironclad armor and couldn't believe my caestus were hitting him for 68 damage. It was clear my caestus would break before I could kill him. For reference I have 46 STR / 33 DEX and my caestus have a respectable AR of 306.

Sounds like you already know the answer.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

He was probably engaging in ~the new meta~ which involves stacking damage resist buffs.
Taking less damage is always good, might as well wear the heaviest you can without fat rolling. Whether you want to sink extra points into vitality or use fewer weapon slots depends on your playstyle (but probably not). Also keep in mind that you can get a pretty huge boost just from upgrading your armor.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Domattee posted:

He was probably engaging in ~the new meta~ which involves stacking damage resist buffs.
Taking less damage is always good, might as well wear the heaviest you can without fat rolling. Whether you want to sink extra points into vitality or use fewer weapon slots depends on your playstyle (but probably not). Also keep in mind that you can get a pretty huge boost just from upgrading your armor.

Nah, he was probably just high level. The whole buffs lasting longer honestly doesn't change anything since you could always just level really high, slap on some decent armor, and take no damage from practically anything even without buffs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fashion souls is the most important part of PvP. If you're gonna kill people, you've got to do it with style. Who cares if Havel's Smelter whatever is the optimal build, it looks like poo poo. Dress up in whatever looks best.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I've been blue invading in dranleic as the mirror knight lately, fashion is the most important aspect of the game.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Genocyber posted:

Nah, he was probably just high level. The whole buffs lasting longer honestly doesn't change anything since you could always just level really high, slap on some decent armor, and take no damage from practically anything even without buffs.

The phys resist bonus isn't that high so I seriously doubt that plain armor could reduce 300 down to 70. I remember hitting plain Havels with the standard club (~ 350 physical) while grinding orbs and still doing 150-200 points of damage. Buffs cut that in half.

e: 150 points per hit is still stupid low given that everybody has at least 2.5k health at high level but that's not nearly as bad as it's now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

neetengie posted:

Went back to an old character of mine, who's in full Heide Knight getup. Might as well be a Heide Knight run, along with being a Blue Sentinel. Gonna be tempted to use miracles even though the Heide Knights don't seem to use them.

I found my favorite message in the game at the Heide Knight between the Shrine of Winter and Drangleic Castle:

code:
Visions of friend...therefore sadness.
I really do feel bad that I kill these dudes instead of befriending them. Not that I have to kill them. So I guess I'm just a sociopath.

EDIT: On the other hand, Heide Knight Sword is so good.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 8, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_666 posted:

I really do feel bad that I kill these dudes instead of befriending them. Not that I have to kill them. So I guess I'm just a sociopath.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Domattee posted:

The phys resist bonus isn't that high so I seriously doubt that plain armor could reduce 300 down to 70. I remember hitting plain Havels with the standard club (~ 350 physical) while grinding orbs and still doing 150-200 points of damage. Buffs cut that in half.

e: 150 points per hit is still stupid low given that everybody has at least 2.5k health at high level but that's not nearly as bad as it's now.

With a DW buffed Dark Ruler's Sword (with 1 million souls, of course) I did ~90 damage a hit to a guy, and he had no buffs on. Level up enough and you become virtually invincible.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I would gladly pay him souls for his weapon, and he could go right back to sitting there, being all full of arrows, contemplating the lost land from whence he came.

EDIT: Also why is Vengarl's Helm not silver, so I can pretend I'm simply The Hound aka The Worlds Biggest Pragmatist.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 8, 2014

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

axelsoar posted:

I've been blue invading in dranleic as the mirror knight lately, fashion is the most important aspect of the game.

You must put your red soapstone sign down in Dranleic and become little mirror knight. Be a Mirror Knight BFF today.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

I am a big dumb idiot.

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: Also why is Vengarl's Helm not silver, so I can pretend I'm simply The Hound aka The Worlds Biggest Pragmatist.

Mod it in as a skin I guess? Use that one ring that makes you a White Phantom for no reason is also a choice I guess.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
So are the only Heide Knight weapons worth Lightning infusing are the Lance and Sword? So far my Greatlance seems to be weaker since I infused it - I'm asking just to make sure.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Domattee posted:

I've been invaded a few times by people running caestuses (caesti?) and they don't really do much damage when you have good armor. One guy infused his with poison and did single digit damage per hit. :v:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

...I don't like the Shrine of Amana. Normally I'm smashing face with my Pursuer's UGS +4 but here I just slowly trundled my way through the area with a bow-- sniping mages and attempting to lock on to anything that might be underwater every five steps. Then it turns out using a bow completely trivializes the Demon of Song too! :shrug:

Aesthetically it looks very nice but wide open water areas don't sit well with me. Somewhat of a phobia. I very rarely set foot in Ash Lake in DaS1 for that reason. Heck even fighting the Hydra in Darkroot made me uneasy but I'd do it to get access to the DLC.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Rynex posted:

You must put your red soapstone sign down in Dranleic and become little mirror knight. Be a Mirror Knight BFF today.

I do, I go in and protect mirror dad with warmth and then try to copycat his actions (leap strike when he does, R2 when he does his lightning, combo when he combos, etc.)

Also, pvp is fun and all but some of these weapon hitboxes are just silly. the katanas Hanzo Steel weapons attack way outside their visual range and this last guy I fought hit me with his shortsword when I was behind him.

edit: HOLY poo poo, when clearing out the bell guardian npcs in Sol, I knocked a firebomb out of the air back at them, I had no idea you could do that!

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 8, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trying to grab the Catarina set. It's horrible. Especially when we kill each other at the same moment, and I can see an item on the floor as we both fade into ashes. :smith:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
finally popped the ds2 cherry. kind of an amateur fashion souls attempt but whatever
enjoying my bear skin doublet and smiley face knee armor

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why would you hide that face?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Haha, just got white soapstone summoned at Sinner's Rise. The host then takes me (shirtless Greatsword) and the other phantom (Tseldora hexing sunbro) over to the bastille to whack walls for a while. While I'm sending him a message to try the interact button, he heads downstairs to the lockstone treasure room, and as we exchange messages he asks me where "the flying boss" is. I assume he means the gargoyle, then he asks me where the belltower is. So I I WON'T BITE and take him over to the Ruin Sentinels.
Turns out the Sentinels crumble when faced with a +10 Greatsword and Resonant Soul spam.
A couple more instructions after the fight and a new would-be belltoucher is born.

tl;dr: 360 Bellbros at ~400k sm? You're welcome.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Ninkobei posted:

finally popped the ds2 cherry. kind of an amateur fashion souls attempt but whatever
enjoying my bear skin doublet and smiley face knee armor

fashion souls? what did you design your character as?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Apparition posted:

fashion souls? what did you design your character as?

im not very good at this. because of the glorious mustache? its really just my first time sitting on the throne so I wanted to post it

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Been Blue invading in the Gutter. Turns out that people really don't want to deal with that poo poo and will just disconnect before you can even find them!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, of course they don't. Not exactly a fun place to fight.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Thanks for the heads up about the buffs. I'd been letting people cast their buffs before the fight, but now I'll be sure to punish them for it. I mean if they are just applying resin or casting sunlight blade they should be able to dodge in time anyways.

As suggested I tried the dragon covenant, so far it seems no different than the brotherhood of blood. On the plus side I've been practicing those bridge jumps until they felt second nature; so when some guy tried to jump off the bridge and heal I was right on his rear end this time.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fun fact for those Smelter Demon lovers out there: You can give yourself his fire core effect. Though since it's meant for someone way larger than you it makes you look like an apocalyptic fire spirit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp, used up all my bonfire ascetics, got two broadsword +5s, one crossbow +5, two catarina leggings and one catarina gloves.
No helmet. :negative:

ninotoreS
Aug 20, 2009

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

FlyinPingu posted:

Been Blue invading in the Gutter. Turns out that people really don't want to deal with that poo poo and will just disconnect before you can even find them!

No reason to disconnect. The host has a lot of ways to make life miserable for an invader down there. I've farmed awestones doing it.

Invaders in the Gutter almost always spawn behind the host in terms of level progress, and the host can exploit that by lying in wait. Hiding with a silver talisman / Chameleon works really well down there, and several multi-level zones require ladder traversal, and that's a problem for the invader when the host can anticipate that. Or the host can just use a seed. The hollows there die easy, but they also hit stupid hard with their Dark-buffed weapons, and if an invader doesn't realize they're aggro'ing on him (which happens more often than you might think, especially if the host hasn't been lighting any sconces, hint hint) he can die really fast.

aegof posted:

Turns out the Sentinels crumble when faced with a +10 Greatsword and Resonant Soul spam.

Well, yeah.

neetengie posted:

So are the only Heide Knight weapons worth Lightning infusing are the Lance and Sword? So far my Greatlance seems to be weaker since I infused it - I'm asking just to make sure.

If your Faith is low, it really can actually weaken the weapon for you if you 'double' infuse it with more lightning, despite what the numbers in your player menus may seem to claim.

Sanctum posted:

On a different note, good lord the Chariot Lance is incredible. I think the 1-handed lunges are longer than the 2-handed attacks, but don't quote me on that. It's proven to be deliciously effective against casters in particular.

It really is great in PvP... until you finally run into someone who realizes how incredibly easy it is to parry. Fortunately, that seems to be only like 1 in 50 players.

ninotoreS fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 8, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Shindragon posted:

(god navlaan is one creepy rear end bastard with that laugh)

I just found out the VA did the voice for Griggs of Vinheim in DkS 1, definitely wouldn't guessed that. An all-around great selection of VAs.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tallgeese posted:

Fun fact for those Smelter Demon lovers out there: You can give yourself his fire core effect. Though since it's meant for someone way larger than you it makes you look like an apocalyptic fire spirit.

I realize this is the second time I've said this but you seriously need to be providing pictures of this stuff because that's cool as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
The Sentinels really hate Holy Water, too.