Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Also that was me you kept throwing red shells at and ramming off the road. Those few races I got slammed into more walls and pits than I could count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Spectacle Rock posted:

I wanted to come here to post this! This is one of the top rated images on imgur right now.

Nintendo either misses the mark or super hits the target. They hit the target with this one. Mario Kart TV is basically 64 million dollars worth of free publicity.

It's pretty amazing. There are literally people being convinced into getting a WiiU to get Mario Kart strictly because of these Luigi gifs. I mean not in the numbers needed to save the system, but it's still impressive how much impact the MKTV thing is having

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Elliotw2 posted:

Also that was me you kept throwing red shells at and ramming off the road. Those few races I got slammed into more walls and pits than I could count.

Sorry! I don't really remember bumping into anyone that much though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if it's possible for them to improve MKTV at all through patches? I wish you had more control over the editing, it'd make it a lot easier to share cool stuff

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Being able to actually record Slo-Mo would be amazing.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finished a goon race on tick tock clock and had to put the game down.

I shouldn't of won that, I think I made a new accidental shortcut and it scared the poo poo out of me
Those were some pretty cool cuts.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Playing Mirror literally makes my head hurt. Some of the anti-grav sequences cause me to twist my head a little as the angle changes but at this point after playing online for ~10 hours I have it down to muscle memory. Going into Mirror and having to actually look at the tracks again and go against what feels like is next, I may not even bother with this poo poo. Getting it done may doom myself to loving up the regular tracks all over again.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
Really dumb question: Generally speaking, should I try to stay in the air as long as possible during jumps, or should I land ASAP and get back to drifting? Like, by tilting upward when in the air, and I going to decelerate and end up doing more harm than good?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if it's possible for them to improve MKTV at all through patches? I wish you had more control over the editing, it'd make it a lot easier to share cool stuff

It'd be possible, but it would probably require the replay feature to work very differently than it is now. It all comes down to how much money Nintendo wants to put behind Luigi gifs.

I say they should go all-in.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

If Nintendo was smart they would expand the replay editor, unlock full youtube uploads, and do it when they start that youtube affiliate program. Alternately, make a separate Wii-U app to do it and plan for future games to also let their content be pulled into it to be chopped up/uploaded/monetized.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Really dumb question: Generally speaking, should I try to stay in the air as long as possible during jumps, or should I land ASAP and get back to drifting? Like, by tilting upward when in the air, and I going to decelerate and end up doing more harm than good?

in my experience ground is def faster than gliding.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Chance posted:

If Nintendo was smart they would expand the replay editor, unlock full youtube uploads, and do it when they start that youtube affiliate program. Alternately, make a separate Wii-U app to do it and plan for future games to also let their content be pulled into it to be chopped up/uploaded/monetized.

I think Nintendo won't give us custom controlls for MKTV and here's why. As long as the algorithm determines the camera at least something interesting is going on and scenes don't last too long. This ensures the quality of all user generated clips is somewhere from okay to good.

If we had full camera control people would post dumb videos like stare at the sun for 3 minutes or try to make some kind of perverted CG movie.

So, that's why I believe we aren't given manual camera control during replays. It ensures that all videos pass some sort of quality control.

People could leave streaks in the dirt through drifting that spell curse words for example. In fact, this could still be done just hard to pull off.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I've got to figure out the drat boomerang because I can't hit poo poo with it but for other people it seems like a homing missile that veers left and right all over the track until it hits you. And it can't be blocked as far as I can tell.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

greatn posted:

I've got to figure out the drat boomerang because I can't hit poo poo with it but for other people it seems like a homing missile that veers left and right all over the track until it hits you. And it can't be blocked as far as I can tell.

I swear one of you goons just hung behind me the last race I was in and was content just bashing people over the head with it

What a blood bath.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

greatn posted:

You can destroy boomerangs. I don't know about whether it works with shells but the horn definitely ruins them

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You didn't hit Yeah! on this, you monster.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Nephzinho posted:

Playing Mirror literally makes my head hurt. Some of the anti-grav sequences cause me to twist my head a little as the angle changes but at this point after playing online for ~10 hours I have it down to muscle memory. Going into Mirror and having to actually look at the tracks again and go against what feels like is next, I may not even bother with this poo poo. Getting it done may doom myself to loving up the regular tracks all over again.
Somehow, I actually do better on the mirror versions. Probably because they make me pay attention instead of replying on muscle memory.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I think the 150cc AI are bigger jerks than Mirror Cup AI.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So uh, how do you actually get the game to recognize the Wii Wheel? There doesn't seem to be any sort of in-game options menu, and while the wiimote works, the game doesn't recognize it at all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Isn't the Wii wheel just a chunk of cosmetic plastic?

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Ground's generally faster, if you have a mushroom or something stay in the air for the whole boost.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

greatn posted:

Yep, default Wiimote mode is tilt controls, so you don't have to do anything to make it recognize the Wheel. If you wanna use the buttons you have to pause the game though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh, I forgot the wheel is at least somewhat ergonomic as well, so calling it just a chunk of cosmetic plastic may be unfair.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

greatn posted:

I meant a Wiimote; I've gotten it synced, the Home button works, but I can't actually get it to recognize that I want to use it in-game. All the game lets me use is the Gamepad, and I can't find any sort of menu to toggle the controllers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Alabaster White posted:

I meant a Wiimote; I've gotten it synced, the Home button works, but I can't actually get it to recognize that I want to use it in-game. All the game lets me use is the Gamepad, and I can't find any sort of menu to toggle the controllers.

Back out to the "Press A to start" start menu of the game, and press A on your desired control method, be it the Pad, a Pro controller, or a Wiimote.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The turn after the glider section on Dry Bone Dunes is a nightmare.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dugong posted:

The turn after the glider section on Dry Bone Dunes is a nightmare.

It's seriously one of the trickiest turns in the game. My advice is to land as quickly as you can and (if you're a heavyweight) start drifting right after you land.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Those bikes with the crazy drifting are really good on that one turn.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

It doesn't seem especially tight but most vehicles seem to slide all the way to the other side. The platform above isn't easy to land either.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Help Im Alive posted:

Those bikes with the crazy drifting are really good on that one turn.

They can handle it better but bikes usually come with absolutely terrible grip so you still glide towards the wall.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Dugong posted:

It doesn't seem especially tight but most vehicles seem to slide all the way to the other side. The platform above isn't easy to land either.

If you dive into the sand fountain you'll bounce straight onto the platform above. The turn up there's worse than the one below, though.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

JordanKai posted:

It's seriously one of the trickiest turns in the game. My advice is to land as quickly as you can and (if you're a heavyweight) start drifting right after you land.

This has been my experience as well. I went and practiced this course like 10 times in a row one day and the best I did on that turn was divebombing onto the lower ledge at the soonest possible opportunity and then drifting as hard as I could

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000
Does anyone know the specific ports that need to be open for MK8 online? My router is being weird, so I have to do this funky dance where I turn off DMZ to connect to Nintendo network, then turn it on again to connect to a game. Sonic Transformed used to do this, too, until I configured an exact port to forward.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Mobius posted:

Does anyone know the specific ports that need to be open for MK8 online? My router is being weird, so I have to do this funky dance where I turn off DMZ to connect to Nintendo network, then turn it on again to connect to a game. Sonic Transformed used to do this, too, until I configured an exact port to forward.

There were a whole bunch, last time I looked--it was enough of a hassle that I gave up and put my Wii U in the DMZ because of that. I'm going to try your trick tomorrow and if it gets me into rooms easier I will owe you a debt of gratitude.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So since when does Wario own a Ski Resort and a Hydro-electric Dam anyways

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Dude's all over the world getting hella paid by stealing money from all kinds of bad guys. He has to embezzle that somehow.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

He's gotten spend all that hoarded gold on something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I want a Wario Ware Game Factory stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Wario owns everything. He's Mario universe Scrooge McDuck.

• Locked thread