Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
If you use BBF with a lens with Full-Time Manual focusing then you never need to touch that little switch. It's perfect for walking around because you can keep it pre-focused for shoot wide shots, then quickly AF on something near, then just manually put it back to infinity(or whatever distance you want) using the distance scale, and you never have to actually use your viewfinder to manually focus. :feelsgood:

edit: And because it's pre-focused, your camera doesn't need to hunt for an AF point as you hit the shutter so it's instantaneous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

AF Servo has been a godsend to me, I keep my 60D in it 24/7. Back button is great if you think about focusing and recomposing, which gets tougher if you're having to hold a button halfway - it's just awkward.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

The way I look at it, there are three steps in camera to making an exposure. Meter, focus and shoot. It is useful to be able to control them independently.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Back-button focus is the only way to go. I even had it set on my Rebel.

-Provides a built-in AF lock.
-Lets you stop the AF if you've got obstructions in your field of view while keeping on the shutter button
-Lets you manually prioritize AF or shutter release during bursts
-It's much easier to smash down to be sure you're autofocusing than a finely-controlled half-press of a shutter
-Lets you focus and recompose quickly

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

God help you if you give your camera to someone else to take a picture of you though.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

God help you if you give your camera to someone else to take a picture of you though.

Just spin the dial to the green square and tell them to just push the shutter button.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Graniteman posted:

Just spin the dial to the green square and tell them to just push the shutter button.

Yup. The auto modes put the focus back on the shutter button. It goes back to the back button when put back into the manual modes, so you can let some one play with your camera without digging through the menus to reset the focus button.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So all this back focus talk made me want to try it out on my 6D. Honestly I kind of like it, makes more sense to me.

I'm shooting a wedding tonight, we'll see if I stick with it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

iSheep posted:

So all this back focus talk made me want to try it out on my 6D. Honestly I kind of like it, makes more sense to me.

I'm shooting a wedding tonight, we'll see if I stick with it.

That's guts.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I focus and recompose a lot and that's very painful to do without back button focusing. Same with metering, a lot of times I have a specific spot I want to meter from. When it's all tied together it feels like auto-dummy mode.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe office life has left me decadent and soft but when I went to spain recently I felt that dragging my XSi around was a chore. Is the Canon EOS M a worthy replacement? The only thing that has me hesitant to pull the trigger is that I would have to buy an adapter to reuse my current lens.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Peven Stan posted:

Maybe office life has left me decadent and soft but when I went to spain recently I felt that dragging my XSi around was a chore. Is the Canon EOS M a worthy replacement? The only thing that has me hesitant to pull the trigger is that I would have to buy an adapter to reuse my current lens.

If you want to go that route you may as well go with another company that has their mirorless act together and sell off your Canon gear.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

harperdc posted:

AF Servo has been a godsend to me, I keep my 60D in it 24/7. Back button is great if you think about focusing and recomposing, which gets tougher if you're having to hold a button halfway - it's just awkward.

5DM3 supremacy: you can leave the camera on normal AF but activate servo holding down the DOF preview button for moving targets :iia:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Half the point of the AF button is not letting the camera AF each time you use the release.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Seamonster posted:

5DM3 supremacy: you can leave the camera on normal AF but activate servo holding down the DOF preview button for moving targets :iia:
Most newer camera can probably do that, I can change my DOF button to activate AI servo on, wait for it, my 6D.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Haggins posted:

If you want to go that route you may as well go with another company that has their mirorless act together and sell off your Canon gear.

I am teatering on swapping all my Canon stuff for m4/3.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

spog posted:

I am teatering on swapping all my Canon stuff for m4/3.

Give me your Canon stuff. It'll make you feel better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sell all gear and get the new Sony Full Frame mirrorless bodies so you can shoot in the dark at ISO 1million or whatevers

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah ok Canon m series needs work but fingers crossed that they will catch up within 1 or 2 generations.

probably not

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sell all gear and get the new Sony Full Frame mirrorless bodies so you can shoot in the dark at ISO 1million or whatevers

I suppose if I sold all my Canon stuff, I could buy the Sony and both the lenses available on that system.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I made a similar "Sony hab no lenses" comment somewhere a while back and someone replied with a list of Sony's lens range. There seems to be a very decent line of them but I'm guessing that's more for their DSLRs. If they released their cameras with EF or DX mounts, they could clean up.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

For the new full frame system, if you want to use adapters you're ok, but if you want native lenses you have basically have 2 primes and 2 zooms to choose from. All pretty slow for what they are (f/4 on the zooms and f1.8 and 2.8 on the primes).

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Haggins posted:

For the new full frame system, if you want to use adapters you're ok, but if you want native lenses you have basically have 2 primes and 2 zooms to choose from. All pretty slow for what they are (f/4 on the zooms and f1.8 and 2.8 on the primes).

Plenty of cameras though.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

And several new bodies each year so I can stop worrying if I have glass and start worrying about having the shiniest body on the block.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Their main goal is to keep your bag lighter by reducing the camera size, reducing the lens selection, and only offering slow and light glass.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I absolutely cannot find a 1ds mark iii anywhere, will I be poorly served by a 1ds mark ii autofocus?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Why the insistence? How about 1dx or a 5d3

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
so my decoded third party batteries have finally died in the rear end, they will charge to full but after about 20 seconds in camera will show up as empty then shut off.. I have one legit battery that's fine but I really don't feel like paying $60-70 x3 to replace these. The ones I have now are no name brands but can anyone recommend a good third party canon brand? (I have a 5dm3 so they have to be the LP-E6)

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

sildargod posted:

I absolutely cannot find a 1ds mark iii anywhere, will I be poorly served by a 1ds mark ii autofocus?

the mark II is pretty good in descent light but it hunts/slows down in very low light or when shooting people wearing black/dark colors.

For the price of a 1Ds mkII you could get a 5D mkIII which is what I'd do for the best of full frame and AF.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bang3r posted:

so my decoded third party batteries have finally died in the rear end, they will charge to full but after about 20 seconds in camera will show up as empty then shut off.. I have one legit battery that's fine but I really don't feel like paying $60-70 x3 to replace these. The ones I have now are no name brands but can anyone recommend a good third party canon brand? (I have a 5dm3 so they have to be the LP-E6)

Sterlingtek. My sterlingtek batteries have lasted me probably close to 4 years and are still going solid, and hold a charge longer than my canon battery. I won't buy replacement batteries from anywhere else.

Verman fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 10, 2014

theloafingone
Mar 8, 2006
no images are allowed, only text

Bang3r posted:

I've used Wasabi, Watson and Green Extreme(?) third party batteries on mine and haven't had any issues in the 8 months I've had them. That being said, I rotate between 6-8 batteries so they don't get nearly as much use due to that so take it with a grain of salt.

I've also heard great things about the above-mentioned Sterlingtek batteries but haven't used any myself yet.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I'm making my journey back to a standard DSLR after having my Fuji for a bit. While I love the camera the fact that there are a fraction of lenses for it that are not super expensive hurts. I bought a used 50D + 10-22mm for less than the price of the Fuji 10-24, saving about 300-400. I started to realize I needed to get out more rather than complain that I didn't like my "bulky" cameras. I enjoy shooting again .. regardless of what camera I have. But I cant afford the tons of cash for Fuji lenses.

Edit : Oh and BBF is the best, anyone that doesn't agree is taking crazy pills.

Edit 2 : I've owned many STK batteries .. they worked well for me.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 10, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
So the UPS man just stopped by...

My first wide angle lens, so time to shoot a lot of landscapes and hilariously bad portraits.

Finally, a pinch cap. Plastic mount is meh, but the lens is so light I doubt there will be much stress on it. The STM focus is as fast and silent as the 18-135mm.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

So the UPS man just stopped by...

My first wide angle lens, so time to shoot a lot of landscapes and hilariously bad portraits.

Finally, a pinch cap. Plastic mount is meh, but the lens is so light I doubt there will be much stress on it. The STM focus is as fast and silent as the 18-135mm.

I really wish I knew of this before I bought my 10-22 off eBay.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

mrlego posted:

the mark II is pretty good in descent light but it hunts/slows down in very low light or when shooting people wearing black/dark colors.

For the price of a 1Ds mkII you could get a 5D mkIII which is what I'd do for the best of full frame and AF.

Unfortunately this country is a shithole - the cheapest legitimate 5d mkiii I can find is about $3300, whereas I can get a 1ds mkii for $950. I can't financially justify the extra $2400 at this point. I have a few shoots coming up starting on friday, and I don't want to wait on the hope of something turning up at this point. Eh.. the low light hunting is what I was hoping to avoid, so perhaps I should steer clear and carry on waiting for something newer, I'm sure I can bully what I have now into working.

Thanks!

sildargod fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 11, 2014

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

sildargod posted:

Unfortunately this country is a shithole - the cheapest legitimate 5d mkiii I can find is about $3300, whereas I can get a 1ds mkii for $950. I can't financially justify the extra $2400 at this point. I have a few shoots coming up starting on friday, and I don't want to wait on the hope of something turning up at this point. Eh.. the low light hunting is what I was hoping to avoid, so perhaps I should steer clear and carry on waiting for something newer, I'm sure I can bully what I have now into working.

Thanks!

No options for camera rental?

In low light I use one shot AF and adjust if AF misses or just focus manually 100% because, on a darkish dancefloor, there's no point in AF. If you're ok with the limitations of the 1Ds and you've used a 1 series before, I'd say go for it. Take some high ISO test shots before buying.

Also make sure you get good batteries, unless you trust the owner's word on battery age/use. The NP-E3 batteries don't last forever so that might be a crucial factor if you can't obtain new Canon or quality 3rd party batteries easily in your country.

mrlego fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 11, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Canon refurb store news since they're doing a big sale: 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS) is in stock with an additional 15% off so it $985.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...28l-refurbished

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
The canon sale is great, unfortunately all their lenses are out of stock so it's kinda a moot point :-(

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

I picked up the 40mm f/2.8 since it was heavily discounted (with the cashback, it was less than half price) and...I should've bought this years ago :D

Good sharpness, low CA, and tiny

100% crop of the above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Turd Nelson posted:

The canon sale is great, unfortunately all their lenses are out of stock so it's kinda a moot point :-(
The 100mm ƒ2.8L is $125 off and available and the 16-35 ƒ2.8L is $203 off and available. I own both and they're great lenses. The 100mm was the most surprising purchase, because I thought I would be using it for macro stuff all the time, but in reality, I use it as a portrait lens all the time. I like it more and more. It's not bulky either, which is a bonus.

Djimi fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 14, 2014