Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I can't seem to unzip the archive, isn't it corrupted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Just downloaded it and unzipped without problems.

Still, I replaced the archive with a ZIP of different compression now, maybe that helps. Download and try again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

HenryEx posted:

It's not much and doesn't help with summoning people, but if you ever want to BE summoned, you can use this (from last page).

Cheers I'll get it installed. Beat Ornstein and Smough after a couple of goes learning how best to deal with Ornstein, which seemed to be just take a hit and heal a lot. I imagine wearing 3 pieces of Havel's set probably helped a lot. Don't quite have the equipment load with rings to get the boots on and use the Zweihand and a shield. I want to use Havel's great shield too but between needing 50 str and 40+ end I doubt I'll have enough levels by the end of the game

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You don't need 40 endurance, I'd stop at 30 or so and keep the Ring of Favor and Protection on. 40 is great but there are other stats to consider.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jose posted:

Cheers I'll get it installed. Beat Ornstein and Smough after a couple of goes learning how best to deal with Ornstein, which seemed to be just take a hit and heal a lot. I imagine wearing 3 pieces of Havel's set probably helped a lot. Don't quite have the equipment load with rings to get the boots on and use the Zweihand and a shield. I want to use Havel's great shield too but between needing 50 str and 40+ end I doubt I'll have enough levels by the end of the game

If it helps, my newbie first timer run I got by just lovely with a +10 Tower Shield, which only needs 30 Strength, you can buy it from the Crestfallen merchant if you need to. 30 Strength is also enough for BONEWHEEL.

Greatshield of Artorias from Sif's soul and a +10 greatshield only needs 34 Strength and is crazy as hell. You don't even need to upgrade it since it's 88 Stability the whole way through according to the wiki. Though Havel's still beats it out in Magic and Lightning protection. The price you pay for being 10 weight lighter than Havel's I guess.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm only going to do a single play through the game and a +5 lightning Zweihander will get me through it I'd have thought. I've bumped attunement up so I can use a few different pyromancies and got my Str high enough to use a large club that I farmed. Other than vitality its the main stat I'm levelling. I'll probably stop levelling vitality and do just End/Str so I can use Artorias' great shield.

Its strange how different this run is going. Last time I used a guide for reasons I don't really remember so did quite a lot of darkroot basin/garden since I farmed to level my pyromancy glove mainly. This time I'm just going where the game guides naturally guides you. Its taken me around 13 hours to clear anor londo. Last time I stopped before Seath and was around 40 hours on the ps3

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's the nature of the games, once you know how the areas are laid out and how the enemies work most of the difficulty is gone. If you haven't done the Tomb of Giants/New Londo/Lost Izalith/the Artorias DLC you've still got a few curveballs ahead of you.

And yeah, lightning Zweihander is crazy good for damage considering the stat requirements. The overhand attack is so good, if it doesn't knock something down it staggers them. Kinda dangerous sometimes though since it's so slow, enemies you can't stagger will punish you.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm contemplating getting DS2 to play coop with my friend, is this a fun mode? Can we run through the whole game start to finish together?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've done tomb of giants and I'm thinking of levelling int high enough to use the sorcery for it. Either that or find the hat that provides light. New londo too, although I had summons for most of that because it seemed more fun and that looks like its out. Having a look at a guide the only areas I hadn't completed were Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, Crystal Caves and the Kiln of the first flame. I've never done the Artorias DLC either.

Are Ash Lake and The great hollow optional?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I finished up my sorcery run yesterday, had Nito and Gwyn left. It took about 10 minutes (15 max) to go through The Catacombs, Tomb of the Giants, and then beat Gwyn. It's crazy how overpowered this feels with the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring, Dusk Crown, and 50 INT. I mean, end game, fully upgraded weapons are definitely powerful, but at least with those you gotta get up in guys faces. The DLC bosses continue to be the most fun and challenging in the whole game, with every run I do.

The best moment was running through the asylum in NG+, and fighting the Asylum Demon when he first drops down. I'm pretty sure he died in just one Crystal Homing Soulmass, but it was hard to tell because I shot a soul spear immediately after that, and I literally never saw red on his life bar. He dropped down, got hit, and his life bar popped up fully depleted.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

Are Ash Lake and The great hollow optional?

Completely. There's stuff in both to pick up, obviously (Ash Lake in particular has a covenant and the majority of dragon scales found in the world).

Zwabu posted:

I'm contemplating getting DS2 to play coop with my friend, is this a fun mode? Can we run through the whole game start to finish together?

You're kinda in the wrong thread, but it's possible to coop through most of the game. You can't just set up a lobby or whatever and every time you beat a boss it'll desummon whichever one of you is a phantom. Plus you'll have to beat every boss twice. Coop is fun but it's not like most games.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 8, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

You're kinda in the wrong thread, but it's possible to coop through most of the game. You can't just set up a lobby or whatever and every time you beat a boss it'll desummon whichever one of you is a phantom. Plus you'll have to beat every boss twice. Coop is fun but it's not like most games.

To go with this, you lose some of you health bar every time you die and go hollow but doing co-op successfully turns you back into a human. There are 2 soapstones too, small and normal. The small if used at a bonfire will only need you to kill a few enemies before you go back a human with an item for trading to crows. It also repairs your items if they're not broken and refreshes all uses of estus/spells

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Jose posted:

I'm only going to do a single play through the game and a +5 lightning Zweihander will get me through it I'd have thought. I've bumped attunement up so I can use a few different pyromancies and got my Str high enough to use a large club that I farmed. Other than vitality its the main stat I'm levelling. I'll probably stop levelling vitality and do just End/Str so I can use Artorias' great shield.

You're at least going to want a +15 weapon for the DLC. The large club would be fine though, if you have minimum stats for it you're up against the soft cap 2-handed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Are things resistant to lightning in the DLC? Would making a weapon go fire also be a bad idea?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fire is in the same boat as lightning, no stat scaling. Kalameet might resist lightning but Manus and Artorias sure don't. Neither does the Sanctuary Guardian. Your big issue with the Zweihander in the DLC is how slow it is, but it's still good for cutting Kalameet's tail off since the overhand attack can hit it even when it's not touching the ground. It's also nice for the last enemy type you'll come up across.

I'd probably drop it after Artorias though, sans cutting Kalameet's tail if you want to try for that.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 8, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well I can always swap to a balder side sword and stick lightning on that to get around having barely any dex

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Goddamned. Advice needed. I just killed queelag. Before ringing the bell, I went to explore a bit, found a hidden wall with a guy behind it, who asked if I was a servant. Just after I said yes, I had unexpected visitors from my parents, so I alt-F4'd the game to accelerate the quitting the game process (aside, who in their insane minds thought it a good idea to force you go back to main menu via the promo splash screen before allowing you to quit the game?).

Later I restarted the game, continued the character ... and fell straight through the level geometry. I died by colliding with a building below me. Just before I died the screen flashed "demon town" or something. And I can't find my souls anywhere near the area I was in.

Would I be able to recover those souls, and if so do I need to go to this demon town, and if so is it at all feasable to get through on a first go through the area? I've never gotten further than blighttown before.

That's 28000 souls and 3 humanity I might lose due to bullshit.

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 8, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

Well I can always swap to a balder side sword and stick lightning on that to get around having barely any dex

Don't do that. Not every weapon is good without scaling. Just stick with the Zweihander if you don't have the stats in anything.

double nine posted:

That's 28000 souls and 3 humanity I might lose due to bullshit.

Demon Ruins are down the path opposite the guy behind the hidden wall, try that. If they're not there, well... Oh well, I guess. :v: 28k is a lot where you are but in the grand scheme of things you've lost like one level.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I intend to keep using it but the damage difference between a +5 lightning and +15 doesn't seem too great on most weapons if you aren't buffing them and since I have extremely limited amount of buffs and more important things to spend souls on in NG it seems better in most cases to go for lightning. I don't plan on doing any pvp where I need to focus my stats more carefully

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

Don't do that. Not every weapon is good without scaling. Just stick with the Zweihander if you don't have the stats in anything.

Demon Ruins are down the path opposite the guy behind the hidden wall, try that. If they're not there, well... Oh well, I guess. :v: 28k is a lot where you are but in the grand scheme of things you've lost like one level.

Not demon ruins. Demon town.

edit: given that I can find no souls anywhere in the area, not in blighttown, not in queelaag's domain, not in demon ruins, I assume they're somewhere inaccessible.

I hate asking this, but is there a way to noclip in dark souls? My souls might be on the place that I died at.

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 8, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

I intend to keep using it but the damage difference between a +5 lightning and +15 doesn't seem too great on most weapons if you aren't buffing them and since I have extremely limited amount of buffs and more important things to spend souls on in NG it seems better in most cases to go for lightning. I don't plan on doing any pvp where I need to focus my stats more carefully

You aren't accounting for how defenses work in the series, the damage difference is more than you think. Let's say you do 50 physical damage and 50 lightning and attack an enemy with 40 defense in each stat. They'll take 20 damage compared to the 60 you'd do with a weapon that does an equivalent amount in only one of those (if I remember right, I'm sure someone will correct me if I don't). There are good weapons to make lightning but not everything is, and eventually scaling will always overtake it.

double nine posted:

There's no such thing as demon town. :v: Just move on.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

double nine posted:

edit: given that I can find no souls anywhere in the area, not in blighttown, not in queelaag's domain, not in demon ruins, I assume they're somewhere inaccessible.

I hate asking this, but is there a way to noclip in dark souls? My souls might be on the place that I died at.

You're probably out of luck, sorry man. 28k isn't hard to recover though, if you cleared Blighttown you're getting close to the part of the game where everything drops 500 minimum.

If you're using DSFix you should turn on the save backups, in case of bugs or hacking invaders.

If you're really desperate for the 28k, read this (cheating): there's an item duplication glitch that still hasn't been patched. You can reuse Queelag's soul to get yours back, do some Googling

Eldred fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 8, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

double nine posted:

Using Cheat Engine to straight up give yourself 28000 souls and 3 humanity is a lot simpler than using Cheat Engine to noclip and go exploring.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Or alternatively, stop being a pussy and keep playing. You will die way, way more often in this game.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Can I stick a sign down for bosses to help people when i've already beaten the boss? Levelling pyromancy is really expensive and I want it maxed before fighting the 4 kings

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Man, that talk earlier of the Lightning Zweihander made me go make it and fully upgrade it on my level 50 coop character. I generally hate slow weapons so have avoided them, but there's something very satisfying about how hard it hits, especially the overhand attack. I basically got the BKH on this character and specced to that, stopping at level 50 to coop O&S with people. So it won't do much good against Ornstein, but whatever. I also spent the morning running around figuring out a nice looking outfit and upgrading a reinforced club to +10 Fire, for no real reason. This is what I settled on this to satisfy my need for Fashion Souls...

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Flumpus posted:

Man, that talk earlier of the Lightning Zweihander made me go make it and fully upgrade it on my level 50 coop character. I generally hate slow weapons so have avoided them, but there's something very satisfying about how hard it hits, especially the overhand attack. I basically got the BKH on this character and specced to that, stopping at level 50 to coop O&S with people. So it won't do much good against Ornstein, but whatever. I also spent the morning running around figuring out a nice looking outfit and upgrading a reinforced club to +10 Fire, for no real reason. This is what I settled on this to satisfy my need for Fashion Souls...

The thing with the zweihander is that it has an actually really fast attack two handed.

Also drat those pants are tight. :v:

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

The thing with the zweihander is that it has an actually really fast attack two handed.

Also drat those pants are tight. :v:

Ha, I'm not thrilled with the pants, but I needed something light to keep fast roll (plus the Lord's Blade shoes look ridiculous) and those seemed to fit the bill. They're growing on me...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Zweihand works fine against Ornstein you just have to eat a hit so need to learn which you're in range and going to hit and not take a massive amount of damage. The fact that he loves to move side to side making the overhand swing miss is infuriating though. I swear he has iFrame invinciblity on dodges

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Jose posted:

Zweihand works fine against Ornstein you just have to eat a hit so need to learn which you're in range and going to hit and not take a massive amount of damage. The fact that he loves to move side to side making the overhand swing miss is infuriating though. I swear he has iFrame invinciblity on dodges

I just meant the fact that I upgraded it to Lightning...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Can I stick a sign down for bosses to help people when i've already beaten the boss? Levelling pyromancy is really expensive and I want it maxed before fighting the 4 kings

Yes. You should be in level range though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Yes. You should be in level range though.

Maybe I'll stick to Smough and Ornstein though, I gained around 15 levels in Anor Londo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You don't need to eat a hit against Ornstein with the Zweihander, it is entirely possible to hit him and get away.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I imagine its doable but Smough wouldn't stop charging at me whenever there was any distance at all, which was usually when Ornstein was in range. I could have dragged it out but didn't really want to

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Now accepting Artorius hints. Been going with light armor, a Utchikatana +15 that a suspiciously friendly invader dropped me (with a +10 Battleaxe and Halberd that I was using before that), some basic pyromancies, and Steel Protection + Wolf Rings. SL 60 or so. I know that blocking him is usually a bad idea. This is a really fun battle so far, though. People keep talking about Dark Souls as fair, and I think this is the boss they're actually talking about.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Blocking can be done if you/your shield is good enough. I did it with a +9 medium shield and a Black Knight Ultragreatsword, but it took a while.

Is the Wolf Ring actually helping in the fight? I forget if poising through his attacks was a reasonable expectation. Drop it if not. Steel Protection isn't great since defense stats that aren't poise matter less than you might think. Are you stopping his power-ups? That's an important thing to do.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

aegof posted:

Blocking can be done if you/your shield is good enough. I did it with a +9 medium shield and a Black Knight Ultragreatsword, but it took a while.

Is the Wolf Ring actually helping in the fight? I forget if poising through his attacks was a reasonable expectation. Drop it if not. Steel Protection isn't great since defense stats that aren't poise matter less than you might think. Are you stopping his power-ups? That's an important thing to do.

I've got a 9ish Grass Crest that I've been keeping on my back. For Rings, I've got the usual suspects -- FAP, Havel, Flip, the Tearstones. I just don't see muhc of a use-case for any of them. :v:

The Wolf Ring is super helpful, yeah, I can usually keep hitting through his attacks. I've stopped his WotG-thing before, but it's super-tempting to just run away and Estus for a little health. Will Lightning resin help?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The key to Artorias is when he jumps backwards twice. It means he is about to power up massively, but it also means he isn't defending himself in any way. Switch to two-handed (if you're not fighting that way already) and rush in on his second jump and then smack him - 3 good shots should do enough damage to cancel his powering up. You'll do the bulk of your damage to him that way, as well as prevent him from getting overpowered and capable of one-shot KOing you.

For his other moves, he has both a two attack animation and a four attack animation, and after both he will be momentarily open to attack. Be careful about the two attack animation, because if it turns out to be the 4 and you move in to attack you're going to take some heavy damage. You can roll to avoid his swings or use your shield to block the attacks, just watch your endurance. If he leaps high and pauses in the air then he is preparing to come crashing down hard where you're currently standing. Roll before he hits and again he should be momentarily open to attack.

The key is really on that two jumps backwards move though. I went from struggling to keep up with him to putting him down with relative ease once I switched to two-handed and smacked him about while he was trying to charge up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bogart posted:

Now accepting Artorius hints. Been going with light armor, a Utchikatana +15 that a suspiciously friendly invader dropped me (with a +10 Battleaxe and Halberd that I was using before that), some basic pyromancies, and Steel Protection + Wolf Rings. SL 60 or so. I know that blocking him is usually a bad idea. This is a really fun battle so far, though. People keep talking about Dark Souls as fair, and I think this is the boss they're actually talking about.

I find the best times to hit him are when he does his straight lunge at you and when he does his huge leap. Not the spin attack, though you do have time to hit him before he moves he will attack out of that so you have to dodge. If you can deal enough damage to knock him out of it you can hit him during his power up phase as well, which will leave him stunned for a few seconds. Just don't overcommit to that because he can attack as soon as the stun wears off. Everything else you should dodge or block, and if you're going the dodge route you should try for the light roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Wait, I got what?

Is there any other boss that has a rare (not tailcut) drop?

• Locked thread