Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Awesome! I just came up with a scene I want to add to my piece and I'll try to chuck it in and get it finished soon. If you'd rather post yours now, I'll leap on that poo poo like an irrelevant simile.

Leap away - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638828

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ax7PrK0_k6e5ibu-9FAbVLKwbpayAAvlc59Z6ToUuww/edit

You don't really have THAT many, but there were about two or three errors that were very clearly ESL errors. Once you spot those, it kind of colors the perception of other errors, so while there were only three clear-cut ESL errors, it made some of your word choice seem like it stemmed from ESL issues as well.

Don't get me wrong, even though I've never tried to write fiction in German, I'm sure I'd make more DaF errors in German than you do in English. If not for "spartanic" I might have just assumed you flubbed or typoed rather than that you were ESL. You shouldn't beat yourself up or anything; I think if you want to publish in English, just having an editor nip out the very few ESL errors you make would be totally fine.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
seb and systran, thanks so much!

systran posted:

if you want to publish in English

Don't know if this thread is the right platform for that kind of question, but can I even do that living in Middle Europe? I thought this business still operated mostly on oldschool mail. Can you publish internationally through the web now?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Entenzahn posted:

Don't know if this thread is the right platform for that kind of question, but can I even do that living in Middle Europe? I thought this business still operated mostly on oldschool mail. Can you publish internationally through the web now?

Yeah, they have email.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Watching some of Sanderson's lectures got me to approach things a little differently, and I think I like the results more so far. But maybe that's part and parcel of having mulled on it for a while beforehand already. He's kind of distracting, though, chowing down on Gummi Bears constantly. And is he wearing a... foam fedora in some of those videos?

I should just finish something and get it out there for crits, jesus :rolleyes:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Entenzahn posted:

seb and systran, thanks so much!

The business runs on email. Anybody locked into paper submissions only is a dinosaur.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Watching some of Sanderson's lectures got me to approach things a little differently, and I think I like the results more so far. But maybe that's part and parcel of having mulled on it for a while beforehand already. He's kind of distracting, though, chowing down on Gummi Bears constantly. And is he wearing a... foam fedora in some of those videos?

I should just finish something and get it out there for crits, jesus :rolleyes:
Yeah he's a huge terrible goon with his awful loving hat and his ill-fitting turtleneck shirts, but he has some good advice about writing!

that hat though seriously

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I discovered something troubling over the past six months. Every time I watch or read something with a particular sounding voice I'll subconsciously start writing in that tone.

For instance, I watch Deadwood and suddenly everyone starts smoothly using big complex words sprinkled here and there with vulgarity and asides. I start reading Stephen King and I start using callbacks to emotional metaphors and using his kind of blurry inner-dialogue third person narrative. I start reading Terry Pratchett and my descriptions become stretched so I can cram them with lengthy metaphors partially based around idioms.

For the most part these typically aren't problems for the things I'm writing. But I once had to rewrite a horror story because the ominous tone was ruined by my Pratchett-esque asides and I had to decide whether I was writing a humorous take on Shadow Over Innsmouth or a straight take on Shadow Over Innsmouth. It started out humorous, then it went dark, and then I didn't know what the hell I was writing.

But the real problem here is that it really makes me feel like I have no voice of my own. It makes me feel like crap since I'm writing my lovely version of King-Style instead of my own unique 'Mr Slam'-style. I feel like Will Graham only with the chops of an amateur.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

That's what editing's for, dude. Every fuckin' thing around you should inspire and change how you write and that's a good thing. Just pick a mood for the final piece and edit it to fit with that, you'll find a style that fits with the stories you wanna write eventually.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MrSlam posted:

I discovered something troubling over the past six months. Every time I watch or read something with a particular sounding voice I'll subconsciously start writing in that tone.
King's own work does that though; and it was always exciting to read his writer's notes at the back of the good books (The Stand for instance) where he'll talk about what was going on when he wrote different parts... it almost adds a little more to the particular voice in that section.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Thanks. I guess it's not all that bad then.

I have a tendency to go back and rewrite everything immediately so I get paranoid and super critical of myself sometimes.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

MrSlam posted:

Thanks. I guess it's not all that bad then.

I have a tendency to go back and rewrite everything immediately so I get paranoid and super critical of myself sometimes.

Everyone is influenced by other things.

and also readers tend to get off on seeing writers grow and change. You should always be aware and protect your style if it is unique but, you know... grow. The time to be worried is when you aren't growing and your stuff seems stagnant.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've always been aware of it, and I try to take advantage of it. I'll think, "I need a bit more Vonnegut," or "I could use more Stephen King," or "Time for a little Bradbury." The only time I feel like my writing suffers from the authors I'm reading is when it's something truly wretched. When I read The Fountainhead, I literally felt like a worse writer.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
If something is so good that it gets stuck in your noodle, writing wise, it's worth stealing and coveting and completely misusing for your own purposes. It's still filtered through you. Your self. So what you're really going to get is a weird slurry that's a little bit King and a little bit Pratchett and a little bit That Person You Know Who Talks a Certain Way, maybe with a dash of Subconscious Recollection of a Certain Nit-picky College Professor You Once Had, or something.

Loot and pillage the works of other authors, for there is nothing new to say and no new ways to say it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Not that I want more competition (not that I think I'm good enough yet to be considered) but Tor.com announced that they're accepting unsolicited, unagented submissions until the end of August. They're looking for complete, unpublished adult novellas/short novels above 17,500 words, with no upper limit. They explicitly want short pieces, so probably don't submit something above 50k.

What that means is, if you don't currently have a short you're working on/have worked on, and want to start today, 560 words a day will not only let you hit that bottom limit, but give you a month's editing time. I know most of us have at least one project we've worked on that fits into that awkward word length of "probably unpublishable" - here's a chance to polish that horrible turd

Here's the submission guidelines/rules/post/everything like that about it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but I'm currently having trouble managing plot threading, I think because I over complicate the process for myself. Outlines work to a degree but sometimes when I write characters, they break the outline (their motivations make more sense but defy the plot), or I accidentally make a dumb plot hole that didn't think of before that I feel is really bad to handwave. In this case, is it best to just restructure the whole story again and rewrite the outline?

Are there any good resources, interviews, etc on threading plots together and how other writers do it? That would be helpful.

I pretty much stuck to short stories until writing an actual novel so I have absolutely zero experience with managing a lot of plots, and this is the most difficult part of the transition.

Thanks!

anime was right fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 8, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Writing the blockbuster novel has a very lengthy section on outlining, revising that outline, and revising as the novel gets written

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

blue squares posted:

Writing the blockbuster novel has a very lengthy section on outlining, revising that outline, and revising as the novel gets written

Cool, I'll check that out. Thanks :)

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but I'm currently having trouble managing plot threading, I think because I over complicate the process for myself. Outlines work to a degree but sometimes when I write characters, they break the outline (their motivations make more sense but defy the plot), or I accidentally make a dumb plot hole that didn't think of before that I feel is really bad to handwave. In this case, is it best to just restructure the whole story again and rewrite the outline?

This is an interesting question, because your options come down to what type of novel you're trying to write. I'm inclined to rewrite plot to fit the character rather than the opposite because I prefer character driven novels. If the motivations feel natural, I let the character pursue them to their natural conclusion, even if I have to sacrifice plot points to do so. I rewrite, and keep rewriting, until the character arcs come to their natural conclusions.

I suppose blockbuster novelists stick firmly to their plot and alter their characters to fit because plot is what their readers buy their books for. However, when a writer can't make their character fit and relegates them to wooden plot puppet with idiotic motivations, all for the sake of pursuing a contrived, high concept idea that just wouldn't happen with real, three-dimensional people—well, gently caress that poo poo. I hate that.

I guess what I'm saying is, more often than not gaping plot holes turn out to be gaping character holes.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Stuporstar posted:

I suppose blockbuster novelists stick firmly to their plot and alter their characters to fit because plot is what their readers buy their books for.

That's not what the book I mentioned talks about at all. It uses the actual outlines from Ken Follets huge success, The Man From St Petersburg, and each change is done to strengthen the character ties and make them better overall. One of the other novelss studied in the book is Gone With the Wind, so by blockbuster it doesn't mean Clive Cussler shlock.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Whalley posted:

Not that I want more competition (not that I think I'm good enough yet to be considered) but Tor.com announced that they're accepting unsolicited, unagented submissions until the end of August. They're looking for complete, unpublished adult novellas/short novels above 17,500 words, with no upper limit. They explicitly want short pieces, so probably don't submit something above 50k.

What that means is, if you don't currently have a short you're working on/have worked on, and want to start today, 560 words a day will not only let you hit that bottom limit, but give you a month's editing time. I know most of us have at least one project we've worked on that fits into that awkward word length of "probably unpublishable" - here's a chance to polish that horrible turd

This made me dig after an old project that I had only written about a page of.
Oh well, guess I've got an excuse to expand upon it now and take a break from my novel.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Whalley posted:

Yeah, thanks a bunch for posting this. I wasn't planning to move on to a certain sci-fi project I've had in mind until this fall, but maybe I need to swap my schedule around a bit.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Describing people is hard. Not just the technique of layering the description into the narrative so it's not so drat obvious what you're doing (though some authors make it work having someone look in the mirror and describe themself), but also figuring out the words to use.

How do some of y'all approach this horrible facet of writing? Both the insertion and the choosing.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

Describing people is hard. Not just the technique of layering the description into the narrative so it's not so drat obvious what you're doing (though some authors make it work having someone look in the mirror and describe themself), but also figuring out the words to use.

How do some of y'all approach this horrible facet of writing? Both the insertion and the choosing.

Jesus christ you are not wrong. One of the trickiest things with writing Star was doing the description well--I couldn't have the main character describe his friends, because no one does that in a casual setting, and describing themselves in a mirror is really hacky imo. (Although I can't talk, because the main character does at one point.)

The key is to remember you don't have to describe everything. Skin color, hair color, and style of dress seem to be the basics, although if there are any defining, noticable characteristics like horrible burn scars or a tail you should mention those too. Insert those little details into the actions of the characters (running a hand through their red hair, or something) and it isn't so glaring.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CantDecideOnAName posted:

Jesus christ you are not wrong. One of the trickiest things with writing Star was doing the description well--I couldn't have the main character describe his friends, because no one does that in a casual setting, and describing themselves in a mirror is really hacky imo. (Although I can't talk, because the main character does at one point.)

The key is to remember you don't have to describe everything. Skin color, hair color, and style of dress seem to be the basics, although if there are any defining, noticable characteristics like horrible burn scars or a tail you should mention those too. Insert those little details into the actions of the characters (running a hand through their red hair, or something) and it isn't so glaring.
You won't describe yourself in a mirror, but people are self-critical to a delightful fault:
-- "Goddamn when did I get age spots on my hands?"
-- I wondered what's another cheeseburger at this point?
-- Ran a hand through my hair, paused and debated if it was worth it to get another haircut or just wait for the rest to fall out.

Packing it all into the first three paragraphs is overkill, but these things scattered into the chapter help paint a picture.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

magnificent7 posted:

You won't describe yourself in a mirror, but people are self-critical to a delightful fault:
-- "Goddamn when did I get age spots on my hands?"
-- I wondered what's another cheeseburger at this point?
-- Ran a hand through my hair, paused and debated if it was worth it to get another haircut or just wait for the rest to fall out.

Packing it all into the first three paragraphs is overkill, but these things scattered into the chapter help paint a picture.

Doing it this way is so much more effective because it helps define the character as well. There are three types of details where character shines through:

1. Minor details even a slob could control if told to shape up for a job interview, such as hair, nails, polished shoes, etc.
2. Major details that require dedication, such as staying in shape.
3. Things beyond the character's control, such as aging.

How the character deals with these things, or fails to, can tell so much about a character's psychology that they're more important than just giving the reader a clear mental picture of how they look. Details writers think people need to know, like height and eye color, just don't matter as much compared to posture and presentation.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

So I'm writing a short story about different gods.
Somewhere along the lines I decided to avoid using gendered pronouns to keep anything gender related ambiguous, since it doesn't really have any bearing on the story anyway.

This isn't working out so great, so far it's all clumsy as gently caress and I just realized they refer to the other gods as brothers anyway so gently caress it. Guess I'll have something fun to edit in post!

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Sometimes I think, "does it even matter if I describe the character?" Most of the time I just drop in the odd relevant descriptor early on and let the reader imagine what they want, because they mostly will anyway. The problem is if you leave it too long they will already have imagined something, and then you have to tell them they're wrong, which knocks them a bit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoshAlligator posted:

Sometimes I think, "does it even matter if I describe the character?" Most of the time I just drop in the odd relevant descriptor early on and let the reader imagine what they want, because they mostly will anyway. The problem is if you leave it too long they will already have imagined something, and then you have to tell them they're wrong, which knocks them a bit.

Describe the character only where doing so conveys character or plot.

This is one of those rules that it's fine to break but you have to have a good reason to break it (like all of them, I guess).

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Remember that actions speak louder than words: the way a character responds and reacts to their environment tends to say a lot more about them than just spilling exposition everywhere. The good news there is that you can weave it pretty organically into the plot without having too many issues.

It's also in the little verb choices: if they need to get to the other side of the room, do they stomp, glide or swagger? Being aware of the character's movements and body can get across a lot more about them and their history than saying "she has red hair".

quote:

(though some authors make it work having someone look in the mirror and describe themself)
Never do this. This is the most lazy, hackneyed, overused way of getting a character description out there. Every time I see it, I groan. If you really must say what they look like, switch PoV and have another character describe them.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah if I see the mirror thing, I stop reading, full stop. If that's how an author chooses to solve that particular problem, I'm not going to be thrilled with how they handle other, trickier expository issues.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I think the mirror thing can work.

In cheesy romance.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Or Bret Easton Ellis novels. But then, it's hard for him to write someone entering a scene without describing their outfits down to the thread count of their underwear, so...

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
10th rejection letter tonight. I think it's time to rewrite the query from a different POV.

Cache Cab
Feb 21, 2014
Alright, I'll bite:

After my kids saw the first Hunger Games movie, they begged me to read the books to them. They don't like reading, but for some reason they'll listen to me read, so I ended up reading it to them like an hour every night. They knew what most of the characters looked like from the movie, but then the second book starts introducing new characters, so my kids are asking me, "Daddy, what does Finnick look like?" I didn't really know so I just guessed based on what the character had done so far, "He's tall and strong looking, and he's got a cleft in his chin," (of course my daughter didn't know what that meant, so I had to tell her he had a 'butt chin' like Jay Leno...of course she didn't know who that was either). So then they keep asking me questions and interrupting me from reading, "What does Katniss' hair look like???" (daughters...omg) Anyway, I just make stuff up as I read it, and they seem to enjoy it.

Right, these are kids though, so they need someone to jumpstart the imagination and to teach them that when you read a story you can fill the blanks in on your own; you don't just have to let the author dictate to you how someone looks. As adults--and more importantly as writers--I think we can leave a few scraps or paint some broad strokes and let the reader have the fun of tailoring the character's physical traits to their own mental image of how the character acts and carries him or herself.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

(though some authors make it work having someone look in the mirror and describe themself)

I'm in another writer's group, and June's theme is "mirrors".

Guess how many stories have that kind of setup :shepface:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the new mirrors is looking at social media photos of themselves

(i did this but it was handy in illustrating a couple of other things about the setting real fast)

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm in another writer's group, and June's theme is "mirrors".

Guess how many stories have that kind of setup :shepface:

I'd love to see a story where the theme is mirrors, and you fill the story with them, and yet you manage to have the character not look at themselves--not once.

Edit: and no vampires, because that's cheating.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The Invisible Man in... The House of Mirrors! :drac: dun dun dunnnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Stuporstar posted:

I'd love to see a story where the theme is mirrors, and you fill the story with them, and yet you manage to have the character not look at themselves--not once.

write ulililia fanfic

• Locked thread