Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Since Goku is the only person in the universe capable of winning it sure is a good thing that all of the greatest threats to the universe happened to appear conveniently in his life time, scaled to his current power level of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Jorbs posted:

Since Goku is the only person in the universe capable of winning it sure is a good thing that all of the greatest threats to the universe happened to appear conveniently in his life time, scaled to his current power level of course.
Or, does Goku's existence necessitate the existence of all these nigh-unstobbable evils, both as a balancing act for the universe and to give the demigod who loves nothing more than a fight something to do?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Technically, world-ending monsters do keep showing up even past his life time, not that that stops him.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Cozz posted:

Yesterday I decided to finally read the Dragon Ball Manga that's been collecting dust on my shelf, and I can't believe I waited this long, as Dragon Ball is hilarious. I don't think I've laughed as hard at a manga as when during the 2nd quest for the Dragon Balls Krillan positions Master Roshi's seeing Bulma's breast's so he has a nosebleed arched at the correct angle to cover the invisible man with blood so Yamcha can defeat him.. The fights have all been really entertaining, and most of them are done within a couple of chapters. I'm assuming the tone shifts around King Piccolo/Piccolo Jr arcs from the humor to set up the tone of Z that I know from the show.

Also, Rise of Cooler Abridged was pretty funny. Piccolo learning that all you have to do is punch things harder was great.

It's kinda weird, but I always thought Dragonball actually had better fights than Dragonball Z. In DBZ, there is always one guy who is clearly superior and is basically just wailing on the opponent, until they switch or one transforms, but in Dragonball, there are a couple of fights with two equally matched opponents, were it seems genuinely vague who is going to win.

Tenshinhan vs Son Goku in the final of the 22nd Tournament is easily one of my favorite fights in the entire series, but then, I loving love the tournaments.

e X fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 8, 2014

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

So while I'm here, GT update: This isn't very good but it's not that bad yet either. It's kind of got a classic Dragonball thing going, and while it stacks up poorly to the original, it hasn't gone full Phantom Menace on me.

That said, I've only finished nine episodes. Everything I know tells me this is going to get ugly. Once I'm done with this episode I'll probably go to bed and pick this up later.

Fake edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwoaTeGSlLg

okay this is pretty bad

That clip is my favorite part of the abridged Bardock movie.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
If Dragonball Z was just tourneys it would be the best anime. Dragonball shines when it's the tournament because of how fun the fights were. It never felt like oh man this is going to be just one sided. Hell even Kid Goku still had some trouble fighting the others and that was a refreshing pace to see. Goku v.s. Piccolo Jr was indeed one of the best fights because eventually it went from winning to the match, to WELL the whole ring is destroyed so gently caress it, go all out. I still think Piccolo going from evil to good was probably the wackiest transitions. :v:

I still feel bad, not once but twice his power ups end up being trivialized quickly.

Oh well, at least we'll see a good fight between him and Android 17. If I remember correctly, that was actually an equal match.

edit: I just remembered. Krillin v.s. Goku was not a bad match either. Heh the only time they were almost on equal footing. :unsmith:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 8, 2014

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

e X posted:

It's kinda weird, but I always thought Dragonball actually had better fights than Dragonball Z. In DBZ, there is always one guy who is clearly superior and is basically just wailing on the opponent, until they switch or one transforms, but in Dragonball, there are a couple of fights with two equally matched opponents, were it seems genuinely vague who is going to win.

Tenshinhan vs Son Goku in the final of the 22nd Tournament is easily one of my favorite fights in the entire series, but then, I loving love the tournaments.

All the finals in the tournaments are amazing.

Jackie Chun vs Son Goku is amazing.
Tenshinhan vs Son Goku is amazing.
Piccolo vs Son Goku is amazing.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Shindragon posted:

If Dragonball Z was just tourneys it would be the best anime. Dragonball shines when it's the tournament because of how fun the fights were. It never felt like oh man this is going to be just one sided. Hell even Kid Goku still had some trouble fighting the others and that was a refreshing pace to see. Goku v.s. Piccolo Jr was indeed one of the best fights because eventually it went from winning to the match, to WELL the whole ring is destroyed so gently caress it, go all out. I still think Piccolo going from evil to good was probably the wackiest transitions. :v:

I still feel bad, not once but twice his power ups end up being trivialized quickly.

Oh well, at least we'll see a good fight between him and Android 17. If I remember correctly, that was actually an equal match.

edit: I just remembered. Krillin v.s. Goku was not a bad match either. Heh the only time they were almost on equal footing. :unsmith:

Agreed, I'd pay good money to get a series of nothing but tournament arcs in some kind of once-a-year special. I also love how in Goku vs. Piccolo Jr., even with all of his boasting about how he's gonna kill Goku and he even destroys the ring, he still always fights in-bounds of the ring. I'd expect Goku to always do that, but it makes it funnier that that's how he loses when Goku has just enough strength to knock him out of the ring and win the tournament . It made me slightly less surprised when he became a good guy, since he seems more about defeating Goku than ruling the world like his father was. The basic formula for bad guy turned good always seems to be wanna beat Goku/be the best warrior=turns into good guy, while desire for world/universe conquest=gets killed by Goku and/or hubris.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That they don't actually finish the the 25th tournament is one of the biggest missteps of the series. Come on Toriyama, you could have given us one last Tournament before the series ended, for old times sake.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Dragonball was really great, it had a mix of adventure and really fun, interesting fights. The final tournament was better than a ton of arcs in DBZ.

The thing most irritating about GT is how weak Pan is. Daughter of Gohan, one of the most powerful beings in the universe, and Videl, a pretty strong fighter in her own right, should be a badass even as a kid. Instead, she plays a far less useful Bulma-esque role. How stupid. Goten could go Super Saiyan at her age and for him it just kinda happened when he was sparring.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 8, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

yoyomama posted:

The basic formula for bad guy turned good always seems to be wanna beat Goku/be the best warrior=turns into good guy, while desire for world/universe conquest=gets killed by Goku and/or hubris.

There's a couple of exceptions: Cell and Nappa were never redeemed, and Pilaf was never killed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goku never killed anyone. Except for Buu but he got reincarnated so it's okay.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Silver2195 posted:

There's a couple of exceptions: Cell and Nappa were never redeemed, and Pilaf was never killed.

Nappa did want to destroy the Earth, as did Vegeta until he got beaten then surpassed by Goku.

Pilaf is just too much of a dork for anyone to kill.

Cell's the only real exception and even he gave up on just wanting to fight Goku. Makes you wonder what would have happened if Goku really was able to beat Cell. Would he have flipped the table anyway, or admit defeat and gently caress off for a while like Piccolo?

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't he kill the original King Piccolo? He certainly tried to kill Frieza, and would have done it for good if Trunks hadn't shown up.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 8, 2014

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ImpAtom posted:

And King Piccolo. And all his kids minus Piccolo Jr. And Grandpa Gohan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

King Piccolo also got reincarnated. :colbert:

WhiffleballDude posted:

And King Piccolo. And all his kids minus Piccolo Jr. And Grandpa Gohan.

How quickly one forgets Cymbal.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ImpAtom posted:

How quickly one forgets Cymbal.

Cymbal was killed (and eaten) by Yajirobe. Goku killed Drum, and Tambourine.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 8, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cymbal was killed (and eaten) by Yajirobe. Goku killed Drum.

That was the point I made, yes. :colbert:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ImpAtom posted:

That was the point I made, yes. :colbert:

Piccolo only had one good kid, really: Piccolo.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, and Piccolo only had one good kid: Gohan.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

e X posted:

That they don't actually finish the the 25th tournament is one of the biggest missteps of the series. Come on Toriyama, you could have given us one last Tournament before the series ended, for old times sake.

The worst part about it was all the hype and build up it got, then it started for real... and was dropped basically immediately. :sigh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dragonball was really great, it had a mix of adventure and really fun, interesting fights. The final tournament was better than a ton of arcs in DBZ.

The thing most irritating about GT is how weak Pan is. Daughter of Gohan, one of the most powerful beings in the universe, and Videl, a pretty strong fighter in her own right, should be a badass even as a kid. Instead, she plays a far less useful Bulma-esque role. How stupid. Goten could go Super Saiyan at her age and for him it just kinda happened when he was sparring.

It is pretty much complete bullshit yeah, glad to see I'm not the only one frustrated by this misstep above all others :(

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ImpAtom posted:

And the entire Red Ribbon army.

And he certainly thought he killed Tao Pie Pie and Freeza.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Back when the Dragon Ball manga ended she was kinda being set up as more like young Goku than anything else. I think she even had the Power Pole when the group popped up in the Neko Majin crossover.

Can't have that. Nobody can do anything but Goku in GT.

Multiverse may have a lot of sillier story elements mashed together but at least they went with that idea over GT's bratty incarnation.
Still waiting for Dragon Ball Heroes to toss the kid a bone and give her Super Saiyan. There are three other Super Saiyan girls already, and they even got Super 2 and 3!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

StrifeHira posted:

Back when the Dragon Ball manga ended she was kinda being set up as more like young Goku than anything else. I think she even had the Power Pole when the group popped up in the Neko Majin crossover.

Can't have that. Nobody can do anything but Goku in GT.

Multiverse may have a lot of sillier story elements mashed together but at least they went with that idea over GT's bratty incarnation.
Still waiting for Dragon Ball Heroes to toss the kid a bone and give her Super Saiyan. There are three other Super Saiyan girls already, and they even got Super 2 and 3!

Clearly she inherited Gohan's irrelevance gene.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

StrifeHira posted:

Oh? Who are they?

E: And yeah, mark me as another "grumble, grumble, why isn't pan more meaningful grumble." when i watched GT. I barely remember anything but i remember being irritated by trunks and disappointed by pan.

:smith: Right below the belt.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 9, 2014

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Who got it from his mother. It's a family curse, really.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Thyrork posted:

Oh? Who are they?

Officially they're named Note (red), Viola (blue), and Forte (purple), player avatar characters alongside the the other trios (male Saiyan, Freeza clan, Namek, Majin, and Android).

e X posted:

Who got it from his mother. It's a family curse, really.

Holy crap you're right. The Ox King has it too!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

StrifeHira posted:

Officially they're named Note (red), Viola (blue), and Forte (purple), player avatar characters alongside the the other trios (male Saiyan, Freeza clan, Namek, Majin, and Android).

Ha, thats nice to see. :unsmith: What game is that? I know i wont ever play it but i do remember hearing crazy things about a dragon ball z mmo years and years ago, with Sayans, Nameians and "Majin" (I forget what they called them? Buu's people.) as playable races and the pictures reminded me of it.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 9, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Wasn't the reason Pan never went Super Saiyan in GT that Akira Toriyama never drew her as one when making the GT character designs (aka the only input he had on the series)?

My understanding was that at the time Toriyama didn't really know how a female Super Saiyan would look so they just went with the "She can't do it" explanation.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Thyrork posted:

Ha, thats nice to see. :unsmith: What game is that? I know i wont ever play it but i do remember hearing crazy things about a dragon ball z mmo years and years ago, with Sayans, Nameians and "Majin" (I forget what they called them? Buu's people.) as playable races and the pictures reminded me of it.

Dragon Ball Heroes is, of all things, a cardgame videogame series that has basically been spewing the most original content out of the series for the last few years. It's responsible for, among other things, Bardock getting Super Saiyan (the manga and animated special were advertisements for that), grown up Gotenks, Super Saiyan 3 Future and GT Trunks, Baby merged with Janemba, Future Gohan getting Super Saiyan 3, and a ton of neat little animated commercials. Also has an ongoing manga.

Official Site here.

(Should probably add something to the OP about it, methinks.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

StrifeHira posted:

Dragon Ball Heroes is, of all things, a cardgame videogame series that has basically been spewing the most original content out of the series for the last few years. It's responsible for, among other things, Bardock getting Super Saiyan (the manga and animated special were advertisements for that), grown up Gotenks, Super Saiyan 3 Future and GT Trunks, Baby merged with Janemba, Future Gohan getting Super Saiyan 3, and a ton of neat little animated commercials. Also has an ongoing manga.

Official Site here.

(Should probably add something to the OP about it, methinks.)

The song they use on the commercials is catchy as gently caress.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-movie-cooler-2-return-coolers-revenge-reckoning/

With surprise special guest!

e: okay wow i'm super late to the party

Hobo Siege fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 9, 2014

MastG
May 25, 2014

Thyrork posted:

In regards to the MMO, that got shut down back in October which kind of sucks since it was actually pretty neat. I've heard about some people working to revive/emulate it, though I can't remember where it was at.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Dragonatrix posted:

Tien got wrote out of the role of strongest human by being retconned to be like 1% alien or some poo poo. Purely so Krillin could have something.

When was this brought up? I consider myself a huge dbz sperg and ive never seen this mentioned.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

dr.acula posted:

When was this brought up? I consider myself a huge dbz sperg and ive never seen this mentioned.

It is in some Databook.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There is no way in the series you can draw the conclusion Krillin is the strongest. He does jack poo poo in the Cell Saga except get his rear end kicked by 20 and fail at deactivating the androids and has pretty much retired from fighting in the Buu Saga. Tien at least has his spotlight moments in both sagas. Furthermore, yeah Krillin may have gotten Guru's power up, but Tien trained with King Kai (and could beat the Ginyu Force :v:)so you can't make that conclusion. Maybe one of those fan wank Daizenshuus said something about it but there is nothing in the series that suggests Krillin is stronger.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

crankdatbatman posted:

There is no way in the series you can draw the conclusion Krillin is the strongest. He does jack poo poo in the Cell Saga except get his rear end kicked by 20 and fail at deactivating the androids and has pretty much retired from fighting in the Buu Saga. Tien at least has his spotlight moments in both sagas. Furthermore, yeah Krillin may have gotten Guru's power up, but Tien trained with King Kai (and could beat the Ginyu Force :v:)so you can't make that conclusion. Maybe one of those fan wank Daizenshuus said something about it but there is nothing in the series that suggests Krillin is stronger.

He's not saying that Tien is weaker, he's saying that some spergy databook retconned him into being like 1% alien.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I guess his humanity is a victim of the same event that erased all the ki-savvy martial artist and animal people from the world in between Dragonball and Dragonball Z.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The MMO had Krillin and Tien as the new Turtle and Crane Hermits, so I would say they're about equally skilled.

(The MMO did a lot of really neat stuff.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The easiest way I deem Krillin as the strongest is compare the amount of fights they've actually won.

Krillin won against a Saibaman.
Tien got zero actual fights.

Krillin wins.

• Locked thread