Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

100% Safety Dance

That's some Lord of the Flies throwing under the bus there :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
KLR KLR KLR

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

:circlefap:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is there still an IRC channel? I want to hang out with the cool kids

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

Schroeder91 posted:

I hate driving the car. 18k miles in less than a year on the bike:getin:

21k since my MSF in November. It's all I ever want to do now.

Do some of you seriously get only two or three decent months out of a year?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My bike had to hibernate for nearly 5 months this winter, and I risk heat stroke if I ride above 85 in the summer. Which is all july and august here.

"I'm not bitter," I say, bitterly, with a bitter expression

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

M42 posted:

My bike had to hibernate for nearly 5 months this winter, and I risk heat stroke if I ride above 85 in the summer. Which is all july and august here.

"I'm not bitter," I say, bitterly, with a bitter expression

Mesh gear exists for a reason.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh, it's fine when I'm moving. It's when I'm stopped the heat becomes a problem, and we have some of the worst traffic in the country. Mesh gear wouldn't help that much when you're just sitting.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
And that is why I love Colorado. If it's too hot to ride in Denver, I ride into the Mountains.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Oh, it's fine when I'm moving. It's when I'm stopped the heat becomes a problem, and we have some of the worst traffic in the country. Mesh gear wouldn't help that much when you're just sitting.

I've lived in DC my entire life and still not used to the humidity we have here. When riding in August just stick with back roads earlier in the day. We've gone on long rides when it's over 90 - you just have to stay hydrated.

Also, I don't condone this but I've filtered through gridlock downtown traffic before on a few brutal days. No one really gives you a second look if traffic is at a standstill.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I know it's not the only bike that has this but WTF Kawasaki for designing a stupid axle nut that requires a 22mm hex key that I pretty much need to specially order a single hex socket bit to remove it. I do have the motion pro hex axle tool but it doesn't work for removing the nut because it wont insert all the way to to the 22mm section. I know theres ways around it like using a long 22mm nut and wrenching it off but gently caress it. Guess the front dunlop Q3 can wait a couple days.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think the front axle on my XTX is the same way, I'll have to check. The biggest hex key I've seen was 19mm, but I assume a suitable socket is available?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W82PGS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ordered one of these, good price and Amazon prime should have it to me by Tuesday :V

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
On my bandit 1250 I have that on one side and the other is a bolt that threads into the end of the rod. I tighten down the pinch bolts on the hex side, loosen them on the bolt side, remove the bolt, loosen the pinch bolts and tap it through.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

I know it's not the only bike that has this but WTF Kawasaki for designing a stupid axle nut that requires a 22mm hex key that I pretty much need to specially order a single hex socket bit to remove it. I do have the motion pro hex axle tool but it doesn't work for removing the nut because it wont insert all the way to to the 22mm section. I know theres ways around it like using a long 22mm nut and wrenching it off but gently caress it. Guess the front dunlop Q3 can wait a couple days.

They didn't put something in your toolkit? My Buell came with a hex key that was specifically for that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

infraboy posted:

Buy an appropriately sized lug nut from the auto parts store.

Buy an appropriately sized socket extension from the auto parts store.

Electrical tape them together and congratulate yourself on having saved $Liberia.

clutchpuck posted:

100% Safety Dance

:mad:

That's more like it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The front axle nut on the SV650 is also a hex, for some reason.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've got a set of large hex and square bits that I bought to undo various kinds of automotive drain/fill plugs on diffs, transmissions and so on. The largest one fitted the axles on my zx10 and zrx, it's a 22mm.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Went out on a limb and posted my GSX up on CL as possible trade for a dual sport or street titled dirt bike. I have recently and best been described as having automotive tourettes.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

petercodeine posted:

21k since my MSF in November. It's all I ever want to do now.

Do some of you seriously get only two or three decent months out of a year?

:eyepop:

It's all I do now too.. 500 miles yesterday and I feel like doing 500 more today. Unfortunately I typically do it all alone which kinda sucks, but I still love it. I wish I had an adventure bike (Triumph Tiger Explorer XC :fap: ) so I could go on dirt/gravel roads. And the power.

I've only done about 12.5k since November. I crashed in November and was off the bike for 2 weeks with a twice broken arm and after getting back on I was in no condition to do anything serious, my arm still hurt a lot for the next month or so. I've since picked it up and do probably 500+ a weekend. I did 500 yesterday.

Not having year road riding weather would suuuuck. I mean it gets 110+ outside and its miserable, but I ride with my Camelbak and once I leave Phoenix it cools down a bit, if I'm going north. I went to Tucson a month or so go and it SUCKED!!! Nighttime dips pretty good outside the city too so its pretty chilly riding in the night at 6000 elevation!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

I've lived in DC my entire life and still not used to the humidity we have here. When riding in August just stick with back roads earlier in the day. We've gone on long rides when it's over 90 - you just have to stay hydrated.

Also, I don't condone this but I've filtered through gridlock downtown traffic before on a few brutal days. No one really gives you a second look if traffic is at a standstill.

Ugh yeah, I'm never gonna get used to it. Early morning seems to be pretty cool on 85+degree days, you just gotta avoid traffic (so basically, no weekday early morning rides)

I've resigned myself to getting a ticket for splitting in the summer - I mean, it's better than passing the gently caress out on the street. Maybe I should just do that in front of the cop. "Do you know why I stopped you?" *faints*

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Schroeder91 posted:

:eyepop:

It's all I do now too.. 500 miles yesterday and I feel like doing 500 more today. Unfortunately I typically do it all alone which kinda sucks, but I still love it. I wish I had an adventure bike (Triumph Tiger Explorer XC :fap: ) so I could go on dirt/gravel roads. And the power.

I've only done about 12.5k since November. I crashed in November and was off the bike for 2 weeks with a twice broken arm and after getting back on I was in no condition to do anything serious, my arm still hurt a lot for the next month or so. I've since picked it up and do probably 500+ a weekend. I did 500 yesterday.

Not having year road riding weather would suuuuck. I mean it gets 110+ outside and its miserable, but I ride with my Camelbak and once I leave Phoenix it cools down a bit, if I'm going north. I went to Tucson a month or so go and it SUCKED!!! Nighttime dips pretty good outside the city too so its pretty chilly riding in the night at 6000 elevation!

You can do dirt and gravel roads on any bike.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I had my first experience with a "BACK IN MY DAY" guy yesterday. We'd stopped at a place for donuts, and he came in behind us.

Gave us a look over (we were both wearing mesh, and it was about 75 yesterday) and said, "You got too much gear on! You're gonna be way too hot. I used to get on MY HOG with a t-shirt and shorts, and gently caress wearing a skid lid!" :bahgawd:

I mean, seriously, how do you even respond to that? "Yes, I bet the good old days of picking rocks out of your face meat and enjoying the sunburn and taste of bugs was super cool, dude!"

Anyone who says mesh (or perforated leather) is worse than a t-shirt hasn't tried it. Honestly, it's all the benefits of the t-shirt and jeans (cooling-wise) with none of the drawbacks (bee in your skin, legs super-heated from the engine, sunburn).

On that note, I'm getting close to 5k on my bike since February. I love bieks. :swoon:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The answer to "you're going to be too hot" is "sounds like you aren't riding fast enough."

*slams down mirrored visor*
*flicks cigarette at u*
*wheelies over the horizon*

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

You can do dirt and gravel roads on any bike.

I've done it before, but I'm still worried of dropping it. And it gets my pretty bike dirty :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I just got back from riding through northern Michigan, and having squeegeed off my visor every hundred miles, there's no way I would have done it without a full face shield. Sooo many huge dead bugs.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

After a ride up the 5 to San Francisco last spring I am pretty sure my bike was 25% organic matter by weight when I got there.
The entire front of my bike, jacket, helmet and gloves were basically just splatters with tiny wings sticking out of them. Doing a ride through cow country not covered head to toe in gear would be disgusting. Unsafe AND disgusting.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah I don't understand the whole "bare face on the interstate" thing.

I rode around the Road America grounds with just a t-shirt and jeans, and then did the "sunset cruise" thing on the track that way because I didn't have time to go get my poo poo from my tent, but drat son. My face was all crusted with horizontal salt deposits from the tears streaming across my face after riding on the track at 30 mph plus with nothing on my face.

First time in my life I've ridden without a helmet, even in my alley and in parking lots. Even if you're not worried about your brain (I'm not from Wisconsin so IDK if that's a thing), bug guts. SO MANY GUTS

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ That. Seriously, the other day I pulled out of a lot with my visor up for less than two seconds, and got simultaneous bug strikes in both loving eyeballs.

Two loving seconds and I was completely incapacitated :psyduck:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Glasses-wearing-nerd supremacy. :smug:

On that note, I'm glad my glasses decided to hold up while I was riding around this weekend. One of the nose pads started falling off the other day, and it finally gave up the ghost tonight. I've got a blob of Sugru curing on there now, but for the time being I'm just squinting.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You know that literally any optical shop, be it a private one or even Walmart, will replace those for (usually) free, right? I was an optician for around six years and replacing nosepads was probably a good 20% of my job.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Glasses-wearing-nerd supremacy. :smug:

On that note, I'm glad my glasses decided to hold up while I was riding around this weekend. One of the nose pads started falling off the other day, and it finally gave up the ghost tonight. I've got a blob of Sugru curing on there now, but for the time being I'm just squinting.

Glasses are just the absolute worst thing in the rain. For a while it's ok and you can fight the fogging but eventually rain WILL get inside your visor and on your glasses and then you're functionally blinder than you would be without them.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Theres a misconception that wearing gear will make you hotter. When it's really hot out, gear protects your skin from sun exposure and most gear has some ventilation. Riding around in a Tshirt means you're just exposed to the ambient tempurature and sun exposure. Sweat is easily replaced with fluid intake, getting severe sunburn isn't so nice.

I've had way too many bees die on my helmet/visor to wear anything less than a full faced helmet.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

infraboy posted:

I've had way too many bees die on my helmet/visor to wear anything less than a full faced helmet.

Yep. Back when I lived in Georgia, riding anywhere after dark was guaranteed to result in the genocide of at least one species of fly.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

You know that literally any optical shop, be it a private one or even Walmart, will replace those for (usually) free, right? I was an optician for around six years and replacing nosepads was probably a good 20% of my job.

Eh. It'd been about three years since my last eye exam and my prescription changed a little bit anyway. This pair is showing their age.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Safety Dance posted:

Eh. It'd been about three years since my last eye exam and my prescription changed a little bit anyway. This pair is showing their age.

I don't know if you have a guy you like, but if you have your prescription in hand, you can get tons of glasses from zennioptical.com. I love that place. They do take a couple of weeks, but the most expensive pair I've gotten from them has been under $20. I think I have 5 pairs of glasses now, and this has turned into glasseschat! Yay!

How was your ride around the lake? IDK if you posted a writeup in another thread, but I did see that you passed out in a seedy motel for a while.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

LASIK supremecy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Lynza posted:

(bee in your skin, legs super-heated from the engine, sunburn).

Given a sufficient quantity of miles, none of that is avoidable.

I've had a hornet somehow manage fly up the sleeve of my leather jacket on the interstate and sting me multiple times and I've a horse fly go down the back of my jacket and begin feasting. On a separate occasion, I got stung through my mesh on my thigh.

My neck and nose always burn on the bike and the rest of me does in 5 minute intervals at gas stations.

And I can tell you a thing or two about leg burns through mesh

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

I don't know if you have a guy you like, but if you have your prescription in hand, you can get tons of glasses from zennioptical.com. I love that place. They do take a couple of weeks, but the most expensive pair I've gotten from them has been under $20. I think I have 5 pairs of glasses now, and this has turned into glasseschat! Yay!

How was your ride around the lake? IDK if you posted a writeup in another thread, but I did see that you passed out in a seedy motel for a while.

I'm gonna keep that link. Thanks.

I haven't written up the trip yet. I need to find a time to sit down and get my thoughts in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Lynza posted:

I had my first experience with a "BACK IN MY DAY" guy yesterday. We'd stopped at a place for donuts, and he came in behind us.

Gave us a look over (we were both wearing mesh, and it was about 75 yesterday) and said, "You got too much gear on! You're gonna be way too hot. I used to get on MY HOG with a t-shirt and shorts, and gently caress wearing a skid lid!" :bahgawd:

I mean, seriously, how do you even respond to that? "Yes, I bet the good old days of picking rocks out of your face meat and enjoying the sunburn and taste of bugs was super cool, dude!"

Anyone who says mesh (or perforated leather) is worse than a t-shirt hasn't tried it. Honestly, it's all the benefits of the t-shirt and jeans (cooling-wise) with none of the drawbacks (bee in your skin, legs super-heated from the engine, sunburn).

On that note, I'm getting close to 5k on my bike since February. I love bieks. :swoon:

And not bothering to mention that he rode to the bar, all of 10 minutes, in the evening.