Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
XP-50 is completely delightful to shoot at with bomber gunners.

The pair of massive radial engines relatively close together makes it an easymode practice target. I don't think I ever had an XP-50 attack my Tu-2 and not-die to the 20mm :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm researching it myself now. I hope it's more useful than the WoT incarnation but god drat if it's not the cutest little tank I ever did see. :kimchi:

No derp gun for this Hetzer, sadly. It's slow as poo poo, but has a decent gun and the front armor is very bouncy. If somebody pens you from the front, they probably hit your lower glacis. It's very much a "find a good spot and wait" tank destroyer, so you may be disappointed with it if you're used to being aggressive with the Stugs.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Disco posted:

No derp gun for this Hetzer, sadly. It's slow as poo poo, but has a decent gun and the front armor is very bouncy. If somebody pens you from the front, they probably hit your lower glacis. It's very much a "find a good spot and wait" tank destroyer, so you may be disappointed with it if you're used to being aggressive with the Stugs.

If you hide your driver slit behind a rock it suddenly becomes very good. Beware of inclines because they either expose your lower hull or make your top armor flat. Either conditions make the armor terrible

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
FlakPz 37mm

lawrd have mercy... battlebus. Even the 20mm, you can cut a swath through the lightly armoured tanks.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
reminder that Thunderbolts are almost comically huge:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So after grinding my rear end off this weekend, I managed to finally get the Boston and man was it worth it. It flies just like the Havoc MK1 only it turns better and has a better roll rate.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

So after grinding my rear end off this weekend, I managed to finally get the Boston and man was it worth it. It flies just like the Havoc MK1 only it turns better and has a better roll rate.

Could be one of those planes they forgot to apply FM changes to.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Put invasion stripes on everything.

Also, have some diagrams:

If Gaijin accurately laid out carriers, so many people would die on takeoff:

Post this on the WT forums every time you'r SBD-3 gets shot down by AAA:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grumio posted:

reminder that Thunderbolts are almost comically huge:

that 18 cylinder pratt whitney R-2800 is loving enormous...

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I just got the PBJ-1H and i want to know what can the 75mm cannon kill with it? I tried to hit destroyers and heavy tanks but it looks like it doesn't really cause much damage against them, i am hoping this changes when i get the armoured target shell rack.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fizzil posted:

I just got the PBJ-1H and i want to know what can the 75mm cannon kill with it? I tried to hit destroyers and heavy tanks but it looks like it doesn't really cause much damage against them, i am hoping this changes when i get the armoured target shell rack.

With the AP rounds, it takes out light pillboxes in one hit, if you aim well.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

drat, not gonna get the boston, got the 70 kills all right but 70 battles? Seriously? That's like 12 hours assuming around 10 minutes per battle (and they very often stretch longer than that)
I still have like 30 or so battles left.
EDIT: How is battle activity counted anyway? Could I just jump in one plane per AB and shoot the first plane I see and ram another one and be done or how does that work?

organburner fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 8, 2014

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

organburner posted:

drat, not gonna get the boston, got the 70 kills all right but 70 battles? Seriously? That's like 12 hours assuming around 10 minutes per battle (and they very often stretch longer than that)
EDIT: How is battle activity counted anyway? Could I just jump in one plane per AB and shoot the first plane I see and ram another one and be done or how does that work?

You have to be doing something for 50% of the total match time. So if the match lasts 10 minutes, you need to be moving your mouse for 5 minutes.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

organburner posted:

If you really need to grind wins, get with some goons and "5 Minute Warning" some fuckers. You should win 90-95% of matches and they should never last over 6 minutes (Mozdok :argh:)

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

I am in a La-7 and the F8Fs I am now fighting seem to just be better than me. Please advise.

e: I suck balls at flying this plane.

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 8, 2014

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
The XP-50 gets an air start on Bulge, because why not give one of the best climbing planes a 3 km advantage :psyduck:

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heliosicle posted:

The XP-50 gets an air start on Bulge, because why not give one of the best climbing planes a 3 km advantage :psyduck:

Does Hitlerbolt not get airstart there anymore? Bulge simply is Pay2Win; the map.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Teal posted:

Does Hitlerbolt not get airstart there anymore?

It does not.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I just ran into an entire squad that was invisible, flat out. They didn't render at all, no matter what :confused:

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heliosicle posted:

At least it made me pay attention if I spawned in my Hitlerbolt. Once I was Alt+Tabbed and one buzzed me and I drat near shat myself.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fart Car '97 posted:

I just ran into an entire squad that was invisible, flat out. They didn't render at all, no matter what :confused:

Did they kill people you could see while invisible? The rendering is currently poo poo. If a tank spawns and nobody sees it, it will show the muzzle blast and exhaust smoke at its last known location until someone spots it, even if that location is across the map.

Its rare but you can force it in small games by going the long way around and getting to the enemy spawn.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 8, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

Did they kill people you could see while invisible? The rendering is currently poo poo. If a tank spawns and nobody sees it, it will show the muzzle blast and exhaust smoke at its last known location until someone spots it, even if that location is across the map.

Its rare but you can force it in small games by going the long way around and getting to the enemy spawn.

They were just invisible. Like, one guy was maybe a hundred meters away from me over flat land and just didn't render, same with the guy 200 meters behind him. It could have just been on my end.

Also I feel so bad for anyone who brings a KV-2 into kursk lol

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

If a russian tank kills a Panther in the woods, and nobody is around...

Will the pubbies still rage about it?

e: thanks fart, fixed.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 8, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Michaellaneous posted:

If a russian tank in the woods kill a panther...

Will the pubbies still rage about it?

I think you meant "If a Russian tank kills a Panther in the woods and there's nobody else to see, will the pubby still rage about it?"

Also if you want to essentially TK teammates with no repercussion, just shoot their barrels off

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 8, 2014

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I have yet to actually see somebody flip out over getting their tiger/panther wrecked. You guys must be doing something I don't because killing droves of them just doesn't seem to do it. Then again I'm far too busy murdering things to stare at chat.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Warbadger posted:

I have yet to actually see somebody flip out over getting their tiger/panther wrecked. You guys must be doing something I don't because killing droves of them just doesn't seem to do it. Then again I'm far too busy murdering things to stare at chat.

We troll in general chat.
And read the forums.

Two things you should not do if you want to stay sane.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Warbadger posted:

Most of the time the rage isn't public because shame. Instead they whine nonstop in teamchat that the game is bullshit or something.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

I just got Kursk in RB. Is that new?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ardlen posted:

Somewhat new, it's been going on for a week or so.

Also, I've just unlocked the Su-122 and it's hilarious. I love the tiny nonthreatening sound the huge gun makes. It's just "bloop" and somewhere a Pz IV suddenly blows apart.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 8, 2014

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Ardlen posted:

It's not brand new, but it is pretty recent.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Woop, I just failed to penetrate a panther frontally from less than 400 meters with the T-34-85. Please explain, these spreadsheets aren't adding up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well, that sure was worth it :downs:. Also, in an attempt to get those last few matches more easily I went back to a few rounds of planes arcade, and I think RB has spoiled me to the point where I can't really enjoy that anymore. Everything's so drat floaty and it feels like it barely even matters what kind of plane you're sitting in. CA is pretty great in that it has very tangible goals and there's generally clear movement, whereas planes arcade is such a directionless clusterfuck that drags on forever until somebody manages to make a suicide run at that last target or everybody's dead.

So basically what I'm saying is if you're only playing arcade, give RB a try and you might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Edit: Also now I can't wait until the other nation's tanks are implemented, 'cause until then I'll rarely ever use their planes.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'd rather play RB than Arcade for planes, but I'd really like to play battles that are larger than 5v5 and also half the time I don't actually end up doing anything because my teammates have killed everything before I can even get in range so all I end up doing is flying around. Boring.

e: I've tried playing RB planes in CA for some more instant action, except I get shot down by AAA any time I try to do anything soooo

Subyng fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 8, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Subyng posted:

I've tried playing RB planes in CA for some more instant action, except I get shot down by AAA any time I try to do anything soooo

Keep trying. This isn't something that happens all the time. Some maps are definitely worse than others, and if you're the only thing in the sky then obviously you're going to have a bad time.

I find trying to kill AAA yourself generally ends with them not hitting you (so long as you don't fly straight at them; aim a bit below them, then bring your sights up on to them as you reach convergence range), so if the tanks aren't managing to thin it out and there's nothing else to shoot, that's something you can do.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I just found out that there is a 150.000 lions battle trophy... that turned an average Jagdpanzer 38(t) match into a great round in terms of lion income. :unsmith:

Also sorry Renaussance Robot for shooting your KV gunner. Shooting gunners is just something I do out of habit.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Subyng posted:

I'd rather play RB than Arcade for planes, but I'd really like to play battles that are larger than 5v5 and also half the time I don't actually end up doing anything because my teammates have killed everything before I can even get in range so all I end up doing is flying around. Boring.

e: I've tried playing RB planes in CA for some more instant action, except I get shot down by AAA any time I try to do anything soooo

Make sure you're on any available, unless you're trying to do tanks at BR 5.0+ in which case it'll mostly be small matches.

And with flying planes just don't bother on Karelia, on every other map just try to avoid ever flying over their AAA, its tough but totally possible.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Feindfeuer posted:

I just found out that there is a 150.000 lions battle trophy...

There are trophies that go much higher than that, 1 million at least.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Feindfeuer posted:

I just found out that there is a 150.000 lions battle trophy... that turned an average Jagdpanzer 38(t) match into a great round in terms of lion income. :unsmith:

Also sorry Renaussance Robot for shooting your KV gunner. Shooting gunners is just something I do out of habit.

There are a million lions battletrophy as well.

But really, at some point - b17 unlocked - you start to be unable to spend all the lions anyway.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Even on Karelia you can often thin out the AAA from the ground to the point where it's fairly safe when you spawn on point #2 (on that note, always spawn on #2 on Karelia). It's got a pretty nice payoff too, because that central capture point is just made for giant multikills if you manage to drop a bomb on it. Generally speaking, AAA is at its most dangerous when you're flying in a straight line and/or rather slowly, even at pretty huge ranges, so unsurprisingly bombers and attackers get completely wrecked by it. It's actually surprisingly safe to pick them off in a fighter as long as you come in fast and turn away quickly, so that can often be a good use of your time if there aren't any enemy planes around for you to hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Michaellaneous posted:

There are a million lions battletrophy as well.

But really, at some point - b17 unlocked - you start to be unable to spend all the lions anyway.

While I don't grind bombers for lions I rarely need to save up on anything. I was almost out on lions recently cause grinding through the tank techtree was so superfast, but even that is not really a problem now that I got everything I wanted. But somehow my mind still connects high numbers at the end of the round with 'good', so it makes me kind of happy when I see big numbers in the post mission screen, even if I don't need them. It's weird, i know.

• Locked thread