Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

How you're either sure they'll never fire you or you're really dumb:

And with Randy, you never know.

Plenty of current people who work there have spoken at length about Benoit on podcasts. Jericho has an entire chapter on the situation and how he feels the way the WWE treated the entire mess, right down to wiping Benoit from the history books, is total bullshit and he's worked there since. I don't think simply mentioning you faced him once is going to have any negative repercussions, especially when I can watch a ton of Benoit matches on the Network right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

It seems like the guy Randy is replying to is trying to be a snarky smartass, and Randy is putting him in his place by saying who it is like it's no big deal.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
To me wiping Benoit from WWE history was the right thing to do. Anything else would be to promote a murderer, and gently caress that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

To me wiping Benoit from WWE history was the right thing to do. Anything else would be to promote a murderer, and gently caress that.

I don't disagree, but I also get where Jericho is coming from. Benoit was not always a monster, like Vince's line seems to be. Through substance abuse and concussions he had his mind turned to swiss cheese, and the business is partly to blame for it. There's a larger issue there, and one that Vince would rather not acknowledge, and in turn just erased everything. I don't think Benoit was as much of a victim as his wife and son, but not 100% of the blame rests on the man he was at one point before all that poo poo went down either.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

let's discuss it at legnth

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

epitasis posted:

let's discuss it at legnth

Benoit's finisher (the headbutt) was dumb :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheJoker138 posted:

I don't disagree, but I also get where Jericho is coming from. Benoit was not always a monster, like Vince's line seems to be. Through substance abuse and concussions he had his mind turned to swiss cheese, and the business is partly to blame for it. There's a larger issue there, and one that Vince would rather not acknowledge, and in turn just erased everything. I don't think Benoit was as much of a victim as his wife and son, but not 100% of the blame rests on the man he was at one point before all that poo poo went down either.

He had been abusive to his wife for years.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

He had been abusive to his wife four (horsemen) years.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Famer Chris Benoit

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I may be misremembering since it's been a long time since I read his book, but I thought Jericho said he understood exactly why they effectively erased Benoit but even though he didn't necessarily agree with it he was fine with it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

He had been abusive to his wife for years.

Hadn't heard that. Makes sense.

Benoit was a psychotic shitheel that used to abuse people and it always got explained away by "Lol that's our Benoit."

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Deadpool posted:

I may be misremembering since it's been a long time since I read his book, but I thought Jericho said he understood exactly why they effectively erased Benoit but even though he didn't necessarily agree with it he was fine with it.

Never read the second book but I remember him speaking about how Benoit almost killed wrestling sooo... no problem with it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Deadpool posted:

He seems pretty conflicted from what I remember. Which is understandable, seeing as he was good friends with him. Must be really hard to process that poo poo.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how is this even a joke

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

epitasis posted:

how is this even a joke

One of them is Mongo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HulkaMatt posted:

Never read the second book but I remember him speaking about how Benoit almost killed wrestling sooo... no problem with it.

TheJoker138 posted:

He seems pretty conflicted from what I remember. Which is understandable, seeing as he was good friends with him. Must be really hard to process that poo poo.

Yeah, actually went and dug the book out to find what I thought I had read. Here's the quote I kind of remembered.

"Not long after that, the WWE erased Chris Benoit from their memory forever, and I don’t blame them - he almost brought the entire company down. But I’ll never be able to erase Chris Benoit from my memory, and his actions still haunt me every single day."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

epitasis posted:

how is this even a joke

The Croc posted:

One of them is Mongo

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I always wonder; How many squats wouldn't have been done if anyone watching Benoit had realised "Wait, that man is mentally ill" rather than thinking that he was just really dedicated.

Poor Davari wouldn't have pissed muscle tissue for nothing.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Chris Ben Wah

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

JRsBBQ posted:

Is it too much for NBA's teams to put their hand over their heart during the National Anthem? That is unless their religion forbids it.

:cripes:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

And so the sympathy built up by being in the hospital melts away.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Moose was right.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
God loving dammit JR.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I wonder what he thinks of Blackhawks fans raucously cheering and applauding the anthem.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

I don't really see anything wrong with J.R.'s statement here. Putting your hand over your heart during the anthem is a classy move. I personally don't really care whether they do it or not, but I can at least see how some people could want athletes to be doing the anthem salute all the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

JR whyyyyyyy :cripes:

MassRafTer posted:

Moose was right.

Reggie was after Midge all along! :argh:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

You put your hand over your heart for the pledge not the national anthem jesus christ did you ever go to elementary school JR

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

NowonSA posted:

I don't really see anything wrong with J.R.'s statement here. Putting your hand over your heart during the anthem is a classy move. I personally don't really care whether they do it or not, but I can at least see how some people could want athletes to be doing the anthem salute all the time.

It's the second part, making reference to their religion forbidding it, which is a pretty classless thing to say.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

BlueArmyMan posted:

It's the second part, making reference to their religion forbidding it, which is a pretty classless thing to say.

Ah, I can see that a bit. J.R.'s said at least 5 things that are more dumber than this though, and I still love him.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I already have no good will for JR because I've listened to several episodes of his podcast.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

NienNunb posted:

I already have no good will for JR because I've listened to several episodes of his podcast.

He really does come off like an old man who's angry the world has passed him by in a lot of ways. And he makes the same three loving comments about ways to improve the business every week. They're all "make it like it used to be," by the way.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that's a dumb tweet because anthem decorum doesn't call for the hand over the heart merely removing one's hat

BlueArmyMan posted:

What are you talking about that's the part where he proves himself considerate??

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

epitasis posted:

that's a dumb tweet because anthem decorum doesn't call for the hand over the heart merely removing one's hat

What are you talking about that's the part where he proves himself considerate??

Spoiler: He's not saying it to be considerate.

This one was even better:

quote:

@thiggerz .. I expressed an opinion re: respecting our national anthem. Take our cash respect our flag. I respect all countries I visit.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

yo JR I don't ever see you complain about OU fans screaming "home of the brave SOONERS" during the national anthem at every sporting event in the state so please don't judge the euros standing politely at attention during the national anthem

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Why do old people care about everything so much. Try not giving a poo poo once in a while, it's great.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Why do old people care about everything so much. Try not giving a poo poo once in a while, it's great.

Just wait til you're old and have nothing but time to be angry about everything and anything.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

epitasis posted:

JR's referencing this incident, where an NBA player who practices Islam declined to stand for the national anthem, citing personal and religious beliefs: http://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/14/sports/pro-basketball-abdul-rauf-vows-not-to-back-down-from-nba.html

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BlueArmyMan posted:

JR's referencing this incident, where an NBA player who practices Islam declined to stand for the national anthem, citing personal and religious beliefs: http://www.nytimes.com/1996/03/14/sports/pro-basketball-abdul-rauf-vows-not-to-back-down-from-nba.html

jesus christ even in the 90s professional sports were populated by gigantic manchildren.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
At least his BBQ sauce is really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jim Ross was raised in Oklahoma in the 60s, so we should be happy every day he doesn't say something incredibly ignorant.