Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

What's the raft. is it White Castle of fear related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

epitasis posted:

WCW, shortly before Hogan formed the nWo, were selling inflatable Hulk Hogan rafts. There are goons on the case to try and find one, much like someone found the infamous birdshit ad that is posted somewhere in this thread.

vvv Or it was after he turned back to the red and yellow. WCW post-1998 and pre-nWo is one giant blur to me.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 31, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

epitasis posted:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

WCW, shortly before Hogan formed the nWo, were selling inflatable Hulk Hogan rafts. There are goons on the case to try and find one, much like someone found the infamous birdshit ad that is posted somewhere in this thread.

It was a giveaway if you mailed in proof of purchasing Great American Bash in 2000, not a normal item for sale online.

E:FB

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Luigi Thirty posted:

From what I heard he's notoriously hard for the first few weeks and then eases up once he's weeded out all the Robocop fanboys from his class.
I hear Greg Gaffin (creator of Bad Religion) is the same way in his introductory biology courses.

Jerusalem posted:

:stare:

I never in a million years would have thought that Peter Weller would do something like that. Hell, I thought he only did Robocop 2 because it was in his contract or he mistakenly thought they were going to continue to explore the nature of man and the Christ metaphor or something.
Knowing WCW, they probably paid him all out of proportion to the work.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

I bet if you just sent a regular cable without the ppv on it they'd send you the raft

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

bobkatt013 posted:

I am almost positive he gets pissed if you take his art history class and ask about Robocop. I wonder how pissed he would get if you ask about robocop in WCW.

I took his class the first year he taught it and he brought up ROBOCOP in a discussion about themes in film.

"What was the THEME of ROBOCOP?"
Points at a guy - "REVENGE?"
"NO, NO, NOT REVENGE. But it IS an R word."
Points at me - "r...robots?"
"RESURRECTION."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Karma Tornado posted:

I took his class the first year he taught it and he brought up ROBOCOP in a discussion about themes in film.

"What was the THEME of ROBOCOP?"
Points at a guy - "REVENGE?"
"NO, NO, NOT REVENGE. But it IS an R word."
Points at me - "r...robots?"
"RESURRECTION."

I hope he shot you all through windows for not knowing about the Christ metaphor in that movie.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

quote:

Meltzer in the 90s ‏@ObserverQuotes 1m

It's time to get used to the idea that much of the fun is seeing how WCW can't keep anything logical or keep storylines straight. [5/96]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Karma Tornado posted:

"r...robots?"

This is really adorable :3:

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

MassRafTer posted:

I hope he shot you all through windows for not knowing about the Christ metaphor in that movie.

Man, I signed up for the class entirely because I had to fulfill an Art History requirement and it only met once a week. I was so confused when Buckaroo Banzai walked in that I didn't know what to do.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Karma Tornado posted:

Man, I signed up for the class entirely because I had to fulfill an Art History requirement and it only met once a week. I was so confused when Buckaroo Banzai walked in that I didn't know what to do.

Should've asked a bunch of questions about Screamers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I guess I should post this here, an incredibly NWS tribute to Eric Bischoff always having his head up one rear end or another:

:nws:http://i.imgur.com/yRmU7zX.jpg:nws:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
From Mike Johnson's article on TNA running New York City:

quote:

1993: WCW runs the Theater in Madison Square Garden for the first time. Chris Benoit receives a standing ovation for his NYC debut. Two minutes later, his match against Ron Simmons is stopped after they crash hard into the guard rails. The crowd turns ugly. Ring announcer Gary Michael Cappetta then announces Ric Flair will miss the show. Refund chants begin as soda cups are tossed at the ring. WCW doesn't return for years.

Is there a fan cam of this show?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Vince didn't have MSG locked down in 1993?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Vince doesn't care about the Theater.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Theater is a really tiny space. Probably slightly bigger than the Hammerstein.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight it is all the fall out from Bash at the Beach 97!

Why did Curt Hennig walk out on DPP?

WHY DID THE TOTALLY REAL AND NOT AN IMPOSTER AT ALL STING BETRAY US ALL?

What about Raven?

Meanwhile:

Super Calo vs La Parka

Eddy vs Chavo

Jarrett vs Flair

AND SO MUCH MORE! Including a MAJOR DEBUT THAT WILL CHANGE THE FACE OF NITRO!

Then in episode 2...

The Giant vs Muta

Malenko vs MONGO

Ultimo Dragon vs Steve Regal

The Outsiders vs Flair and Benoit

AND SO MUCH MORE

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

8 PM for Nitro, 7:30 PM for Cowboy Who? I believe it is the season 2 finale.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Just to give everyone some extra warning, the next Tuesday Nitro will be moving up a couple days to THIS SUNDAY

I won't be around Tuesday and besides that I want to put this on a more accessible day because it is a night I have looked forward to for a long, long time. I am going to tag this since there's probably a couple people who don't know:

The second of the two shows on Sunday is the episode where Lex Luger challenges Hulk Hogan for the WCW title. Luger winning the belt is one of the best moments in the history of WCW and might be the biggest reason I became a wrestling fan for life.

So we'll be watching two episodes Sunday starting at 7 PM. Yes, an hour early for those people who have to duck out early on Tuesdays. If you watch one set of Nitros this year MAKE IT THESE! It's going to be great.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I might miss this :argh:

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I still remember how amazing that night felt and how pointless it turned out to be so fast. I still wonder why they did it at all? Was it for the ppv buy pop?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The American Dream posted:

I still remember how amazing that night felt and how pointless it turned out to be so fast. I still wonder why they did it at all? Was it for the ppv buy pop?
It was a 3 hour 100th episode special that drew the highest ratings of any head-to-head show to date.
Ratings went began a stronger upward trend, but the following PPV was Road Wild so they drew $0 and the buyrate was below expectations. WCW.txt

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Every now and then I remember that at one point Stevie Ray was the leader of the nWo and I laugh. Why even bother continuing the group at that point, I guess just to have an excuse to sell the shirts?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Every now and then I remember that at one point Stevie Ray was the leader of the nWo and I laugh. Why even bother continuing the group at that point, I guess just to have an excuse to sell the shirts?

DDT Digest's nWo B-team fanfic makes me laugh even unto this day.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Was he ever actually leader of the whole stable? I remember he was the top B&W/B-team guy after the Wolfpac turned heel and became the A-team.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

triplexpac posted:

Suckas gotsta know

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Thauros posted:

Was he ever actually leader of the whole stable? I remember he was the top B&W/B-team guy after the Wolfpac turned heel and became the A-team.

Well I'm watching a 1999 WCW PPV where they call Stevie the leader of the nWo. Doesn't seem to be any Wolfpac or anything in existence at this point (Slamboree 1999)

Edit: Nevermind, Scott Steiner is coming out to the Wolfpac theme so I guess it's still around

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Did WCW ever use Buffer in an angle or was he smart and negotiated a contract where he was run announcer only?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

joshtothemaxx posted:

Did WCW ever use Buffer in an angle or was he smart and negotiated a contract where he was run announcer only?

I don't think he was ever involved in any angles. Bruce was a pretty kickass negotiator for Michael.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

triplexpac posted:

Well I'm watching a 1999 WCW PPV where they call Stevie the leader of the nWo. Doesn't seem to be any Wolfpac or anything in existence at this point (Slamboree 1999)

Edit: Nevermind, Scott Steiner is coming out to the Wolfpac theme so I guess it's still around

Yeah, if I remember right Stevie Ray just took over the Black and White once all the top B&W guys left or turned face. The Black &White were always the lame grunts of the stable while the Wolfpac were the cool guys. Then the finger poke of doom happened and anyone that mattered joined the nWo Elite and Stevie's crew were just silly.

At least until they got stripped. I remember there was some point where the nWo Elite went around disbanding all the nWo splinters and knockoffs. Although I don't know if they ever got to Japan.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

fatherdog posted:

DDT Digest's nWo B-team fanfic makes me laugh even unto this day.

I loved the Adventures of the NWO B-Team. Stevie Ray keeping everyone in line with the dreaded SLAPJACK and H-Bomb with his "H-bomb Post-Nuclear Apocalypse Driver" aka the Samoan drop.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Grant DaNasty posted:

I loved the Adventures of the NWO B-Team. Stevie Ray keeping everyone in line with the dreaded SLAPJACK and H-Bomb with his "H-bomb Post-Nuclear Apocalypse Driver" aka the Samoan drop.

The H must stand for Harlem, Texas.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

The H must stand for Harlem, Texas.

This is H-Bomb brother.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Isn't the theater at MSG a stage? A ring up on a stage is a weird setup for a wrestling show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

weekly font posted:

Isn't the theater at MSG a stage? A ring up on a stage is a weird setup for a wrestling show.

I assume they just put it on the floor.

TONIGHT AT 7 PM EASTERN: Nitro on a special night! I won't be around Tuesday and this week will feature my favorite Nitro in the history of Nitro. So I am going to show it on the best night of the week for wrestling mega events, SUNDAY! Episode 2 is a special THREE HOUR NITRO SPECIAL to celebrate the 100TH Nitro! It features one of the best moments in Nitro history, if you are going to tune in for anything tune in for this!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Episode 1:

Ultimo Dragon defends the TV title against Prince Iaukea

Chris Jericho defends the cruiserweight title against Alex Wright

DDP takes on Syxx

Dean Malenko faces Hector Guerrero

The Giant wrestles The Great Muta

LA PARKA vs Konnan

and your main event is

Scott Steiner vs Randy Savage

Episode 2

This is the 100th Nitro and a 3 hour special. I'm not going to spoil anything about this show, it's 17 years old so maybe you know what happens, maybe you don't. Just watch it. It is real cool.

7 PM for Nitro! http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling I'm not going to do Cowboy Who? it'll be back next week. Instead at 6:30 we'll have Kushida vs Ricochet.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

weekly font posted:

Wouldn't be the first time they've done something like that. They had a house show in Columbia, South Carolina about five months ago at a venue that if memory serves me right was just a small community theater. I guess they pulled back the curtain and used most of the backstage area so they could go outside the ring, but it must have looked janky as gently caress regardless.

The only other way I can think of doing it is to tear down a bunch of the seats and relocate them to the stage so the ring could go in the very middle of the room, but that would have been a terrible setup as well.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 8, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

100th Nitro delivered.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

STAC Goat posted:

At least until they got stripped. I remember there was some point where the nWo Elite went around disbanding all the nWo splinters and knockoffs. Although I don't know if they ever got to Japan.

IIRC they did not and Chono still wears his nWo gear from time to time.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Does anyone remember when Russo and Ferrara started booking WCW? I feel like there was a decent early period of this which included an amazing first match between Bret Hart and Chris Benoit where Hart reverses the Crippler Crossface into a sharpshooter, but holy poo poo things immediately fell off the wagon (I have to admit my timelines or fuzzy so that match might have happened before Russo came on board). Hart and Jarrett got injured and they put the belt on Benoit only to have him and the Radicalz walking out the night after. Then when he came back Russo started getting way too much screen time and being an awful on-screen antagonist because he's just a doughy New Yorker compared to McMahon's roided out physique and on-screen gravitas.

Am I crazy or was his first run in WCW semi-decent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

Does anyone remember when Russo and Ferrara started booking WCW? I feel like there was a decent early period of this which included an amazing first match between Bret Hart and Chris Benoit where Hart reverses the Crippler Crossface into a sharpshooter, but holy poo poo things immediately fell off the wagon (I have to admit my timelines or fuzzy so that match might have happened before Russo came on board). Hart and Jarrett got injured and they put the belt on Benoit only to have him and the Radicalz walking out the night after. Then when he came back Russo started getting way too much screen time and being an awful on-screen antagonist because he's just a doughy New Yorker compared to McMahon's roided out physique and on-screen gravitas.

Am I crazy or was his first run in WCW semi-decent?

You are confusing the period before Russo started with the start of his run. The Hart/Benoit match came just before he started booking. His actual run included the absolute worst world title tournament in history (to that point) where Madusa was eliminated from the tournament twice. The title was vacated because Hogan laid down for heel Sting who then lost it to Goldberg in an impromptu match on Halloween Havoc seconds later. The whole big storyline of his return was just to set up another Montreal finish and to bring back the nWo. It was really bad.

It was just slightly better than the total garbage WCW was putting out from May of 99 through September. There was a brief period in early September with some good stuff after Bischoff was fired and before Russo came in, but that's about it. It cannot be overstated how bad the summer of 99 was. There was a storyline where Bischoff tried to appeal to us he was changed and sorry about the nWo so they repeatedly aired vignettes to get him over as a babyface. Then Kevin Nash and Macho Man had a feud centered around pouring poop on the other, Hogan came back as a face and became champion, Sting turned heel, it was all terrible. So Russo comes in and presses the restart button, pushes Bret Hart, sort of pushes Benoit, brings in some new talent and everyone screamed THANK YOU JESUS FOR RIDDING US OF KEVIN NASH AS BOOKER! Then we realized this was all really bad in its own right.

However the 100th Nitro was awesome, Lex Luger was awesome, DDP was awesome, the Giant was awesome, Hogan was awesome (even though he took way too much offense in the Luger match because he was losing) JJ Dillson was an idiot, everything was awesome.