Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Aww. Also, I am running around randomly killing things because I have no idea what I am doing haven't played since launch. Is it normal for it to take 1-2 minutes to kill a single trash mob in this game?

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Are there any new clothes with issue 9 (as rewards or purchases or whatever) besides the school uniform?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Rincewind posted:

Are there any new clothes with issue 9 (as rewards or purchases or whatever) besides the school uniform?

Tokyo merchants sell different colored kimonos and hakamas, but they cost sequins, which are better spent upgrading your AEGIS. Completing the first mission in 4:30 seems to award something, what I don't know. Also completing it in 4:30 seems utterly impossible. I can barely do it in 10. Also as always, complete the issue, get an ugly t-shirt.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ShadowMoo posted:

Aww. Also, I am running around randomly killing things because I have no idea what I am doing haven't played since launch. Is it normal for it to take 1-2 minutes to kill a single trash mob in this game?

No. Your gear and/or build are not good.

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
I mainly ran elemental magic + fist weapon during my short stint playing the game. Mainly specced to heal though, with elemental magic being my damage dealer. Though these days I'm finding myself playing alone in the early game. Would it be an idea to start moving into other skills like pistols or chaos magic to increase damage or something? I can heal really well, but there's not much point if I'm doing piss all damage.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Okay, there is significantly more story and mission content than there was on Testlive (Issue 9 is easily 2-3 times the size of any other issue) and it gets really, really good. Tokyo also looks amazing compared to before. I absolutely recommend getting this.

Broand posted:

I mainly ran elemental magic + fist weapon during my short stint playing the game. Mainly specced to heal though, with elemental magic being my damage dealer. Though these days I'm finding myself playing alone in the early game. Would it be an idea to start moving into other skills like pistols or chaos magic to increase damage or something? I can heal really well, but there's not much point if I'm doing piss all damage.

Elemental is somewhat bad for damage right now. I'll try to make a leveling-specific build later, but for now move into Chaos/Fist or AR/anything to level a lot more smoothly. Oh, and go buy tacos in London, it's much more efficient to kill things quickly and recover health in between mobs than it is to be healing yourself during combat.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Cheston posted:

Okay, there is significantly more story and mission content than there was on Testlive (Issue 9 is easily 2-3 times the size of any other issue) and it gets really, really good. Tokyo also looks amazing compared to before. I absolutely recommend getting this.

Cheston and I just went through the story quest, and it was quite a ride. Funcom seem to have realised that fear is a much better story tool than excessively-tough mobs (although there are still a few of those).

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Cheston and I just went through the story quest, and it was quite a ride. Funcom seem to have realised that fear is a much better story tool than excessively-tough mobs (although there are still a few of those).

I'm probably gonna be doing this somewhat regularly if people wanna come along. It'll be like dungeons, but with cutscenes, spiky hell tunnels and AEGIS grinding.

(**and meanie, because I totally forgot to undeafen myself and you should come on this)

Cheston fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 8, 2014

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Cheston posted:

I'm probably gonna be doing this somewhat regularly if people wanna come along. It'll be like dungeons, but with cutscenes, spiky hell tunnels and AEGIS grinding.

(**and meanie, because I totally forgot to undeafen myself and you should come on this)

Also, confirmed with Zephonith that everyone seems to get data when grouping, so 5 man trams seem the most efficient way to power up your aegis.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I haven't played this in forever but I have the itch. I think the last issue I played was Tyler Freeborn. What's the best/easiest way to get caught up on all the issues? Do I buy them through the item store? I'm still downloading the client so I'm not sure.

EDIT: Did some digging on the website and it's all in the store there. I always wanted to try out the paid DLC and now I can, sweet!

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 8, 2014

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Yea, thx for tip. looked at my gear and I still had my heal set on for a while back. Dumped in tons more hit and pen now I can actually kill things.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Profiteering is in full effect. You can sell the AEGIS upgrade toolkits for more than 15m pax each, and they cost 25 tokyo tokens. Basically, complete Issue 9 before more missions come out and you get 15m pax. If you still want pax :(

Cheston fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 8, 2014

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Am I doing something by trying to find people to group with for Hell Raised in The Savage Coast or something, because no one ever responds and the only other people using the LFG channel on there were looking to do Darkness Wars for some reason. Is that a thing on here for some reason, arranging to do dungeons in the area before wherever they are?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I just started this again and found a few old blood/elem builds but they're dated and I wanted to confirm if it's still a good built to solo/level (I'm QL 2-3). I really don't care about ele but I do want to play a blood/x build if that's good.

Thinking OV + Blood shot is a good single target combo to aim for, GFG for aoe? Would blade or another weapon be better alongside blood?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

xanthan posted:

Am I doing something by trying to find people to group with for Hell Raised in The Savage Coast or something, because no one ever responds and the only other people using the LFG channel on there were looking to do Darkness Wars for some reason. Is that a thing on here for some reason, arranging to do dungeons in the area before wherever they are?

I wouldn't put much effort into the leveling dungeons. They can be fun, but the time spent putting together a group could be better used doing the zone and story content to get up to ql10. Then do the elite versions of the dungeons which are all in agartha, finding a group for those should be easier.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Schrodingers cat posted:

I just started this again and found a few old blood/elem builds but they're dated and I wanted to confirm if it's still a good built to solo/level (I'm QL 2-3). I really don't care about ele but I do want to play a blood/x build if that's good.

Thinking OV + Blood shot is a good single target combo to aim for, GFG for aoe? Would blade or another weapon be better alongside blood?

Blood/Ele is apparently a super-good endgame DPS build, but I never used it or figured out how it works, and if it relied on Seal the Deal then I think it just got nerfed.

Blades/Blood can work for leveling. You might want to save up for Breakdown (the passive that lets you Weaken with blade abilities). If you do, build with a blade attack to apply weakened. As for consumers, 4x builder, 2x bloodshot, off-weapon consumer, and then Exsanguinate on Elemental Force would work really well as a single-target rotation. (Exsanguinate is a focus ability, and focus abilities work really well with EF.)

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you very much, Cheston!

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
So far I have really liked issue 9, aegis is interesting though it certainly is opening up another can of worms before they even sorted all the others they've opened.

I think they've done a pretty good job though.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Also, confirmed with Zephonith that everyone seems to get data when grouping, so 5 man trams seem the most efficient way to power up your aegis.

Just popping in to say that '5 man trams' sounds extremely erotic. Thanks

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

That split the night

College Slice

Brain In A Jar posted:

Just popping in to say that '5 man trams' sounds extremely erotic. Thanks

That was meant to be teams, but 5-man trams sound very cosy!

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
If you talk to Inbeda he mentions wanting to make a human centipede with barbed wire.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
The 'chase' mission to get into tokyo is kind of tedious, but the missions IN Tokyo are cool.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Toyko finally got released?

Hot drat, might actually boot up this game again.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005
I usually play games with a group of 3 people and we're thinking about starting this up. Is this a good MMO to play in a small team? Also, one of my friends hates 'WoW-Style' combat where you just pick a target and mash 1234. This look more like Guild Wars 2 style combat which he liked. Is that correct? How do guns work? Free aim or targeted or a mix? I've watched some gameplay videos but I can't really tell.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Outside uniforms, handlers and HQs, is there a sizeable difference between the factions? I found a few threads on the matter but they are over 1.5 years old.

Most seem to indicate "Templar has best story quests, Illuminati have best handler, Dragons are weird as hell, HQ's are based on taste (Illu = techno secret house, Templar = old european castle, etc...).

Basically, what I'm wondering is: would restarting as an illuminati from a 75 AP QL 2-3 character be a waste of time (That character was made back when the game was initially released and took place in the mayan event a little, if that matters for things new characters don't get).

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Schrodingers cat posted:

Outside uniforms, handlers and HQs, is there a sizeable difference between the factions? I found a few threads on the matter but they are over 1.5 years old.

Most seem to indicate "Templar has best story quests, Illuminati have best handler, Dragons are weird as hell, HQ's are based on taste (Illu = techno secret house, Templar = old european castle, etc...).

Basically, what I'm wondering is: would restarting as an illuminati from a 75 AP QL 2-3 character be a waste of time (That character was made back when the game was initially released and took place in the mayan event a little, if that matters for things new characters don't get).

You only actually have like 3 or 4 story quests in the end so I wouldn't say your faction choice is a huge deal.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Scags posted:

I usually play games with a group of 3 people and we're thinking about starting this up. Is this a good MMO to play in a small team? Also, one of my friends hates 'WoW-Style' combat where you just pick a target and mash 1234. This look more like Guild Wars 2 style combat which he liked. Is that correct? How do guns work? Free aim or targeted or a mix? I've watched some gameplay videos but I can't really tell.

It's good for small teams but it is WOW/Guild Wars style combat where you still press 1234. Despite that you still need to constantly be moving, dodging and interrupting attacks.

Schrodingers cat posted:

The Templar get access to one of the best missions in the game (Virgula Divina) though but aside from that you aren't missing much. Most of it is just flavour texts or doing different parts of an event.

Scags
Nov 12, 2005

Kegslayer posted:

It's good for small teams but it is WOW/Guild Wars style combat where you still press 1234. Despite that you still need to constantly be moving, dodging and interrupting attacks.

He does like Guild Wars 2, but hates WOW. I feel like they are different enough. For example, if you swing a sword in TSW, does it hit everything in the arc? Do you only hit your target? Do you even need to target or can you just aim and swing like GW2?

Edit - for some reason this matters to him. I don't give a crap.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, so no point re-rolling unless I'm really super into the HQ and uniforms.

Much appreciated, Kegslayer/Saboteur!

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Scags posted:

He does like Guild Wars 2, but hates WOW. I feel like they are different enough. For example, if you swing a sword in TSW, does it hit everything in the arc? Do you only hit your target? Do you even need to target or can you just aim and swing like GW2?

Edit - for some reason this matters to him. I don't give a crap.

It depends on the skill and weapon. Some weapons and attacks are an aoe/spray and so will hit whatever is in front, others will just hit whatever is tabbed. That said the combat isn't anything new or innovative.

This game's best feature is it's stories and it's characters and if you play it like a casual single player rpg, you're going to have an awesome time but if you sperg out over numbers and achievements then this game is going to frustrate you to no end because Funcom is still terrible.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
It's weird, because the combat is probably a 6/10, but the dungeon design is terrific, so you'll have fun doing those.

Depending on the weapons you choose, combat while leveling CAN be pretty active and fun, but it's not like this is TERA, or even GW2. There are some cool things like a dodge mechanic, but the majority of abilities are auto-target. Like most MMOs, AoE abilities are the main exceptions to this.

The storytelling is the real selling point of this MMO.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 9, 2014

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Frankenstein Dad posted:

It's weird, because the combat is probably a 6/10, but the dungeon design is terrific, so you'll have fun doing those.

Depending on the weapons you choose, combat while leveling CAN be pretty active and fun, but it's not like this is TERA, or even GW2. There are some cool things like a dodge mechanic, but the majority of abilities are auto-target. Like most MMOs, AoE abilities are the main exceptions to this.

The storytelling is the real selling point of this MMO.

The combat is a huge plus for me (may vary on the build I guess) because of how you can make various builds work and 'synergize' abilities through passives and and status effects (afflicted, etc...).

The story is great, VA is not A++ but it's still much better than auto-accepting quests in WoW and only caring about where the dot appears on your world map.

Polaris is the only dungeon I have run so far and it's really fun, pretty short, really good looking and the cutscenes are pretty cool (displaying your characters is icing on the cake).

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Will I ever tire of the zebra head.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ShadowMoo posted:

Will I ever tire of the zebra head.

I haven't been without an animal head since the horse mask came out so probably not.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Schrodingers cat posted:

Ok, so no point re-rolling unless I'm really super into the HQ and uniforms.

Much appreciated, Kegslayer/Saboteur!

You do also get faction-specific texts when you turn in missions, and faction can change the tone of certain parts of the game significantly. 75 AP is pretty much nothing, so if you want to change faction now, go ahead.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
As someone who was stupid enough and curious enough to play all three to Transylvania completion I can tell you there's honestly not a lot of gameplay changes, each has a radically different connecting mission for areas and it changes the tone of the game a fair bit. Templar stuff tends to come off as really stuffy, overly romantic, and hypocritical. Illumanti is just crazy evil, results driven, and always disappointed in you. I actually ended up liking the Dragon best, their poo poo is all incredibly weird but of any faction by far they give you the most incidental information on the secret world between a combination of cookie cutter fortune cookie wisdom and legitimately insightful emails.

But really, how can you turn down Kirsten Geary? My advice would be if you are only going to do one character do the Illumanti and if you do a second one, make it the Dragon.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 9, 2014

Dry Hump
Sep 14, 2013
So if I don't have a million pax, do I have to buy Issue 8 to get to Tokyo?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Templars have the best deck outfits though, which clearly matters more than a meme-spewing handler you talk to like a handful of times :colbert:

Dry Hump posted:

So if I don't have a million pax, do I have to buy Issue 8 to get to Tokyo?
No but you have to get the required amount of tokens from just the one map/difficulty that's provided for free in that case.

orcane fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 10, 2014

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

orcane posted:

Templars have the best deck outfits though, which clearly matters more than a meme-spewing handler you talk to like a handful of times :colbert:

No but you have to get the required amount of tokens from just the one map/difficulty that's provided for free in that case.

I hate to say it but it's true. Templar deck outfits are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The Lumie Mercenary deck begs to differ :colbert:

No but really, Templar are the best vanity-wise.

• Locked thread