Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

I've always found it odd how many people forget Call of Duty 2 was a launch game. That poo poo was in every single store display, from day one, and it was amazing. The PS4 had Knack and Fifa. I'm not sure I've even seen a One or U display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

kater posted:

I've always found it odd how many people forget Call of Duty 2 was a launch game. That poo poo was in every single store display, from day one, and it was amazing. The PS4 had Knack and Fifa. I'm not sure I've even seen a One or U display.

Stop avoiding big department stores.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alteisen posted:

The state of PC gaming is pretty dire to, I can't think of much coming in the next couple of months, not to mention all the unoptimized console ports.
Thing about PC gaming is that breakout hits really come out of nowhere because it's a wide open space, so it's not a worry yet. I mean it also means a lot of lovely will-never-be-finished Early Access games, but that comes with the territory of having The Most Software of Any Platform.

Also you're forgetting GOTY Hotline Miami 2 this fall.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

The install base is growing rapidly enough that 'next-gen' games will probably start arriving quickly

The Xbone seems to have cratered in sales, and PS4 has is bound to cool off (sales are already lackluster - USA to terrible - Japan in the regions we get actual numbers for). The install base is probably not going to keep "growing rapidly".

Alteisen posted:

The state of PC gaming is pretty dire to, I can't think of much coming in the next couple of months, not to mention all the unoptimized console ports.

The PC offers an absurd amount of exclusives in all genres, stuff not possible on consoles. No reason to worry: And it is even able to play games not released within the last 8 months at high fidelity!

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 8, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

The Xbone seems to have cratered in sales, and PS4 has is bound to cool off (sales are already lackluster - USA to terrible - Japan in the regions we get actual numbers for). The install base is probably not going to keep "growing rapidly".

Haha, what?

Yes, I'm sure that people are going to stop buying the next-generation consoles and nobody is going to develop for them. That is incredibly plausible and likely.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Haha, what?

Yes, I'm sure that people are going to stop buying the next-generation consoles and nobody is going to develop for them. That is incredibly plausible and likely.

Haha, what?

Yes, I'm sure consoles are totally fine. Bad sales numbers across the board are bound to improve because I just claimed so.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also you're forgetting GOTY Hotline Miami 2 this fall.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but Hotline Miami was one of the best games I've played in recent memory.

Speaking of PC games, I'm looking forward to Shovel Knight, which is also going to be a Wii U and 3DS exclusive. Definitely smart idea for Nintendo to finally be getting into the indie/kickstarter game.

Edit:

Fame Douglas posted:

Haha, what?

Yes, I'm sure consoles are totally fine. Bad sales numbers across the board are bound to improve because I just claimed so.

XBOX One sales are meeting or exceeding XBOX 360 sales in the same time frame of launch, and XBOX 360 didn't have any other "next-gen" consoles to compete against. And XBOX One is selling at a lower rate than PS4. I think the console business is doing just fine.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 8, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Haha, what?

Yes, I'm sure consoles are totally fine. Bad sales numbers across the board are bound to improve because I just said so.

Console sales are pretty much what you would expect. The X-Box One isn't underperforming because consoles are on the verge of dying, it is undeperforming because it was badly launched and overpriced compared to the competition. The PS4 had a very successful launch everywhere that isn't Japan, and Japan's game industry is in the toilet no matter what you're talking about. (Aside from smartphones.) The game industry as a whole is seeing lower sales but that is a due to a number of factors, including a weak economy and the rise of mobile gaming.

If you honestly believe that the Dawn Of The PC Gaming Master Race is right around the corner, I'm not sure what to say but it's hilariously implausible. Even if the game console industry collapsed tomorrow, that isn't going to be met with a mass migration to making excellent games for PC that were being held back because of the weaker consoles. The best games on the PC these days take advantage of the fact that it is an open platform more than they do the power of the PC.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 8, 2014

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
I was thinking about getting a Wii U. But the only game I really enjoyed on the regular Wii was Fire Emblem. Regardless, there should definitely be a Pokemon Snap U.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Console sales are pretty much what you would expect. The X-Box One isn't underperforming because consoles are on the verge of dying, it is undeperforming because it was badly launched and overpriced compared to the competition. The PS4 had a very successful launch everything that isn't Japan, and Japan's game industry is in the toilet no matter what you're talking about. (Aside from smartphones.)

Again, XBOX One is under-performing only in direct comparison to PS4. From launch to the following end of fiscal year (fall 2005-June 30, 2006) the XBOX 360 sold 5.0 million units and it didn't have another "next-gen" console to compete against. XBOX One shipped 5.0 million units from launch to end of next quarter (Fall 2013-March 2014). I bolded shipped because they aren't direct comparisons with XBOX 360's first fiscal year being sales and not shipments.

But still, shipping in the first two quarters what you sold in the first 3 quarters of your last console is not a bad place to be in by any means, especially when you have a direct competitor that you didn't have the first time around, and that competitor is beating you.

ImpAtom posted:

If you honestly believe that the Dawn Of The PC Gaming Master Race is right around the corner, I'm not sure what to say but it's hilariously implausible. Even if the game console industry collapsed tomorrow, that isn't going to be met with a mass migration to making excellent games for PC that were being held back because of the weaker consoles. The best games on the PC these days take advantage of the fact that it is an open platform more than they do the power of the PC.

Not to mention that Steam, the undisputed owner of PC gaming sales, is getting into a pseudo-console business with Steam Boxes and the big-screen format of Steam.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Console sales are pretty much what you would expect. The X-Box One isn't underperforming because consoles are on the verge of dying, it is undeperforming because it was badly launched and overpriced compared to the competition. The PS4 had a very successful launch everything that isn't Japan, and Japan's game industry is in the toilet no matter what you're talking about. (Aside from smartphones.)

NPD suggest pretty tepid sales even for PS4 lately. There's no guarantee of PS4 being slated for mass market success - and plenty of indication against.

ImpAtom posted:

PC gaming is hugely successful on its own, consoles don't factor into it, to me. Whether AAA console titles and publishers will continue to exist is pretty much irrelevant (of course, I'd rather see the continued existence of a varied - albeit much smaller than just a few years ago - AAA field).

Fremry posted:

Again, XBOX One is under-performing only in direct comparison to PS4. From launch to the following end of fiscal year (fall 2005-June 30, 2006) the XBOX 360 sold 5.0 million units and it didn't have another "next-gen" console to compete against. XBOX One shipped 5.0 million units from launch to end of next quarter (Fall 2013-March 2014). I bolded shipped because they aren't direct comparisons with XBOX 360's first fiscal year being sales and not shipments.

But still, shipping in the first two quarters what you sold in the first 3 quarters of your last console is not a bad place to be in by any means, especially when you have a direct competitor that you didn't have the first time around, and that competitor is beating you.

Except sales have cratered hard this year, it's only a question of (a short amount of time) until Xbone will have fallen behind 360's launch-aligned numbers. A bigger launch, but not much staying power by the looks of it.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 8, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fame Douglas posted:

Except sales have cratered hard this year,

No they haven't. Not even the Wii U's done that.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Except sales have cratered hard this year, it's only a question of (a short amount of time) until Xbone will have fallen behind 360's launch-aligned numbers. A bigger launch, but not much staying power by the looks of it.

Because sales cratering after the initial launch is a totally new phenomenon.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nintendo Kid posted:

Except they have.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

I was with you until the second sentence

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Quest For Glory II posted:

I was with you until the second sentence

The Wii U was already in crater, it didn't crater further.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

NPD suggest pretty tepid sales even for PS4 lately. There's no guarantee of PS4 being slated for mass market success - and plenty of indication against.

The PS4 is selling reasonably well month after month. It is not seeing a huge bumps in sales because those usually coincide with either major new releases or holidays. That is how sales work. Your argument is basically predicated on the idea that sales will never improve again which is hilariously unlikely once next-gen Call of Duty or whatever hits.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Except they have.

What we are seeing is the exact same type of display in sales of the last generation of consoles, only at slightly higher levels in a more crowded and directly competitive market. Console sales are doing fine, they are doing what one would expect, and anyone who infers that it means the console market is slowing is ridiculous and anyone who infers that it means consoles are on their way out is downright lying.

Edit: You are either trolling, are extremely short sighted, have no clue about the history of console sales, parroting crap from someone else, and/or have no business sense whatsoever.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 8, 2014

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fremry posted:

Edit: You are either trolling, are extremely short sighted, have no clue about the history of console sales, parroting crap from someone else, and/or have no business sense whatsoever.

That's this entire thread lol

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

elf help book posted:

That's this entire thread lol

Nintendo should go mobile imo and put mario on everything and make a pokemon mmo! Billions in profits!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ramadu posted:

Nintendo should go mobile imo and put mario on everything and make a pokemon mmo! Billions in profits!

I work for Wedbush Securities and declare the Wii U to be awesome!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fame Douglas posted:

It's Q1 7 months after the consoles launched you shlub, did you just turn 13 and start paying attention to sales or something? It's always relatively slow this time of year and within the first year of every console launch ever. Go back to GameFAQs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There has never been a successful console folks.

(both of the new ones are outselling their predecessors in the post-launch timeframe)

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 8, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

PC gaming is hugely successful on its own, consoles don't factor into it, to me.

PC-exclusive AAA games basically don't exist anymore. Nearly every big PC game is a console port, even PC Master Race flagships like The Witcher and Crysis are multiplatform titles now. All you have left aside from that is indies and f2p garbage, and even then the new generation of consoles were built around these.

PC gaming is literally subsidized by consoles.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Louisgod posted:

It's Q1 7 months after the consoles launched you shlub, did you just turn 13 and start paying attention to sales or something? It's always relatively slow this time of year and within the first year of every console launch ever. Go back to GameFAQs.

This does't even warrant a serious response. Why is you claiming everything will turn out peachy when the numbers don't bear that out reasonable in any way?

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

There has never been a successful console folks.

(both of the new ones are outselling their predecessors in the post-launch timeframe)

It's a terrible business to be in. And again with the meaningless data point! Xbone is pretty much certain to fall behind 360 very soon (especially considering there was no sign of lack of units available on store shelves for launch).

...of SCIENCE! posted:

PC-exclusive AAA games basically don't exist anymore. Nearly every big PC game is a console port, even PC Master Race flagships like The Witcher and Crysis are multiplatform titles now. All you have left aside from that is indies and f2p garbage, and even then the new generation of consoles were built around these.

Plenty of PC exclusive "AAA" titles (pretty sure each DOTA 2, LoL or World of Warcraft alone are bigger than any console AAA game). But contards subsidizing my PC gaming sounds very sweet to me!

But if we're talking about flagship, maybe stuff like Arma or DayZ is worth mentioning instead of either Crysis or Witcher.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 8, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think a lot of people only spend time talking to their friends and internet communities, and get this really hosed up view that reality is what they discuss with their tiny group of people who share their interests. Nintendo fans who talk to their friends about how the recent upswing in sales means Nintendo is on fire and has never done better, PC gamers who talk to their friends about how PCs are objectively superior so the downturn in non-holiday spending means that consoles are dying, etc.

The reality is that they are an extremely small niche of consumers with a specific interest who talk among themselves in an infinite feedback loop of validation and then apply those conclusions to the millions on consumers whose buying decisions share absolutely nothing with them and their niche community. For instance, many of these people have a lot of time on their hands to talk about this stuff because they don't have children. It would never dawn on them to make decisions based on the irrational whims of your children, and it would never dawn on them that the the secondary decision after that is to make decisions based on an elementary school schedule.

People with kids who buy videogames and videogame consoles are a huge part of the consumer base, but they never cross the minds of the 20-something people with enough time on their hands to argue videogames on the internet.

Edit:

Fame Douglas posted:

This does't even warrant a serious response. Why is you claiming everything will turn out peachy when the numbers don't bear that out reasonable in any way?

Because you are categorically wrong, the numbers are absolutely fine, and in many respects better than could be expected. But you don't understand it.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Fame Douglas posted:

I can predict the future contards! You say the ~30 years of consoles isn't going to suddenly stop? Well MMORPGs sell a lot and that refutes your argument somehow! Watch me throw around my opinions without linking to any evidence to back it up!

One of the reasons why it's great to have a Wii U and a PC is to get the great first-party AAA experience from Nintendo and the indie market on the PC. I really think things like Steam sales have not been good for expensive PC game development - I know I haven't spent more than like $10 on a PC game in years. However, I'm glad to have access to both environments because they provide different kinds of entertainment.

Heck, just taking a look at the front page of https://vgchartz.com shows there's been about ~20M current-gen consoles sold so far, and ~50M handhelds. Unfortunately for Nintendo I don't think the Wii U is going to reach the Wii's 100M numbers, but MK8 is still the 2nd Global Top Selling game right now.

I think Nintendo's problem is not making use of planned obsolescence. If they made the Wii to fail like Apple devices or the Xbox 360 (though the latter might not have been intentional) they would probably sell more Wii U's.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Mandrel posted:

Come on guys, this year it's all about the games. *gestures vacantly towards vast expanse of sun-bleached wastes across which reggie's voice echoes into eternity and reaching the ear of no being living or dead*

drat this is really loving funny.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Plenty of PC exclusive "AAA" titles (pretty sure each DOTA 2, LoL or World of Warcraft alone are bigger than any console AAA game). But contards subsidizing my PC gaming sounds very sweet to me!

But if we're talking about flagship, maybe stuff like Arma or DayZ is worth mentioning instead of either Crysis or Witcher.

I can't tell if you're an idiot or a believable troll.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Fame Douglas posted:

PC gaming is hugely successful on its own, consoles don't factor into it, to me. Whether AAA console titles and publishers will continue to exist is pretty much irrelevant (of course, I'd rather see the continued existence of a varied - albeit much smaller than just a few years ago - AAA field).

Are you retarded

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

PC gaming would be great if we didn't constantly have to beg for ports, or if major games like GTA V didn't skip it entirely. Anything that does get ported is just whinged at for playing better with a controller.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

That loving Sned posted:

PC gaming would be great if we didn't constantly have to beg for ports, or if major games like GTA V didn't skip it entirely. Anything that does get ported is just whinged at for playing better with a controller.

Odds are good GTA V will end up on PC. Rockstar tend to take a long time to make their PC ports. Except for RDR which didn't get one because they're dickheads.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

PS4's supposedly sub-par April sales were better than all but 2 of 360's Aprils and all of PS3's IIRC.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

But contards

:ughh:

You're not gonna get people to listen to you if you say poo poo like this, maybe on 4chan but not here.

Let's just say all consoles are doomed and call it a day. :D

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to E3, if only to see each companies respective gaffes. Nintendo especially.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

That loving Sned posted:

Every main series GTA game has been on PC, only fools think they're deliberately skipping it for GTA V.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Do not engage Fame Douglas on any discussion of Consoles vs. PCs

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Every main series GTA game has been on PC, only fools think they're deliberately skipping it for GTA V.

Yeah, it's fairly likely that ports of it will be announced at E3, but it's still crazy that PCs are still given the second-class treatment. You almost never see just the Xbox or Playstation version of a multiplatform game being delayed, they're always released at the exact same time, while the PC and Wii U versions often trundle along afterwards, like with Dark Souls II or Watch Dogs.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah, it's fairly likely that ports of it will be announced at E3, but it's still crazy that PCs are still given the second-class treatment. You almost never see just the Xbox or Playstation version of a multiplatform game being delayed, they're always released at the exact same time, while the PC and Wii U versions often trundle along afterwards, like with Dark Souls II or Watch Dogs.

Wii U doesn't have many units in homes so they aren't as concerned with pushing ports out.

The PC has a lot more hardware configurations to take into account, as well as driver versions to worry about. PC versions also traditionally don't sell as well as the console ones for many games, although that could be at least partially due to the delays.

It's really not that surprising that PC ports take longer to push out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

That loving Sned posted:

Yeah, it's fairly likely that ports of it will be announced at E3, but it's still crazy that PCs are still given the second-class treatment.

It's not crazy at all, it's exactly what they've done for at least 13 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

The PC has a lot more hardware configurations to take into account, as well as driver versions to worry about. PC versions also traditionally don't sell as well as the console ones for many games, although that could be at least partially due to the delays.

It's really not that surprising that PC ports take longer to push out.

Steam also plays a part in this, its conditioned people to wait for the big sales before buying anything.

• Locked thread