Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
My 1st character, who's just picked up the King's Ring (after 45 hours of play....yeah, I'm not the fastest) has been invaded a few times to date - once in the Lost Bastille, once in Black Gulch (by a hacker, that time), once in Brightstone Cove (another hacker) and once in Undead Crypt. So that's 4 invasions, or roughly 1 invasion per 11 hours of playtime. And 50/50 on hackers versus regular people, but I imagine that's a skewed data set and the actual number of hackers around is quite low. I certainly hope it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

ninjaiguana posted:

My 1st character, who's just picked up the King's Ring (after 45 hours of play....yeah, I'm not the fastest) has been invaded a few times to date - once in the Lost Bastille, once in Black Gulch (by a hacker, that time), once in Brightstone Cove (another hacker) and once in Undead Crypt. So that's 4 invasions, or roughly 1 invasion per 11 hours of playtime. And 50/50 on hackers versus regular people, but I imagine that's a skewed data set and the actual number of hackers around is quite low. I certainly hope it is!

There are going to be a lot less invaders in NG than NG+ due to the low availability of Cracked Red Eye Orbs. In NG+ and beyond you can buy them for 10k apiece, but in NG the only way is to win duels in the blood arena or farm pigs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Inspector_666 posted:

I have no sin.

I actually got invaded by the same guy twice today.

Just what a sinner would say.

No one is innocent

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nahxela posted:

You should watch this video if you haven't already (or at least the fight at ~13:30):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTHnNvr5U6k

What Armor and pants is he wearing in that video, anyway?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So do arbiter spirits never stop appearing once you're a sinner? I've died more than I've invaded now, and I'm real sick of getting killed by people with the world's shittiest connections. I mean I guess I could just burn effigies for the rest of NG+ because there isn't anyone else around 6 or 7 SM, but still.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

As far as I know every time you get murdered by an arbiter spirit it lowers your sin by 1, meaning that while you need to die to them a bunch they cannot invade you indefinitely.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

So do arbiter spirits never stop appearing once you're a sinner? I've died more than I've invaded now, and I'm real sick of getting killed by people with the world's shittiest connections. I mean I guess I could just burn effigies for the rest of NG+ because there isn't anyone else around 6 or 7 SM, but still.

I think dying to Arbiter spirits is the only way to reduce your sin. Eventually you'll stop getting invaded, provided that you're not actively invading people.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I didn't think the stories were true but I'm edging up to 5million soulmemory and everyone I run into has havel armor pieces mixed in and my speedy-knifey character just can't stay competitive unless I chain backstabs anymore. It's basically havel arms and legs and greatswords as far as the eye can see and that R2 stab-spin always gets me in the end.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the deal with the cyclops's bite? It instantly killed me, but I went to bleeding, fell out of its mouth, moved away, then died. It was still actually eating me though.

argondamn posted:

I think dying to Arbiter spirits is the only way to reduce your sin. Eventually you'll stop getting invaded, provided that you're not actively invading people.

I haven't been, I wonder if it was counting other things I've been doing or something? But I also haven't been killing NPCs. I really wouldn't care and would enjoy it, but the Nth time of dying because the game thinks he's rolling instead of stabbing me and backstabbing me instead of running away from has gotten real old.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Killing NPCs and hosts is the only way to gain sin as far as we know. Dying to arbiters is the only way to lose it. If your status is "Wretch" you are a permanent sinner now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Domattee posted:

Killing NPCs and hosts is the only way to gain sin as far as we know. Dying to arbiters is the only way to lose it. If your status is "Wretch" you are a permanent sinner now.

Not that high yet, only Sinner status. Does it count successful invasions or just invasions in general? That could be why.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

FlocksOfMice posted:

I didn't think the stories were true but I'm edging up to 5million soulmemory and everyone I run into has havel armor pieces mixed in and my speedy-knifey character just can't stay competitive unless I chain backstabs anymore. It's basically havel arms and legs and greatswords as far as the eye can see and that R2 stab-spin always gets me in the end.

Despite it being a big feature of the games, Dark Souls PvP is laughably unbalanced and bad.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

FlyinPingu posted:

Despite it being a big feature of the games, Dark Souls PvP is laughably unbalanced and bad.

I think you're just bad at pvp :smuggo:

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

RBA Starblade posted:

Not that high yet, only Sinner status. Does it count successful invasions or just invasions in general? That could be why.

Successful invasions only. And has to be through a red orb. Despite the fact that you get a token of spite for a red sign win you don't get any sin, and no sin for bells/dragons/blues.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Successful invasions only. And has to be through a red orb. Despite the fact that you get a token of spite for a red sign win you don't get any sin, and no sin for bells/dragons/blues.

Well, I guess it'll drop any time now then, I guess. But man, it's not nearly this bad in pvp when the other guy isn't a blue spirit. They don't even have to look at me to attack me. They can be pointed in any old direction. And one of them figured it out and had gower's ring of protection on.

e: Oh, there it goes. Thank God.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
General opinions on the light crossbow? Making a Lightning Farron build (shut up) and I'm trying to think of a replacement for the gun.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 8, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Flytrap posted:

General opinions on the light crossbow?

It's not that heavy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Every crossbow other than Avelyn is garbage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Every crossbow other than Avelyn is garbage.

Sadly true. I've been using one as a backup on my melee character and the heavy crossbow does basically no damage. It's only useful for drawing things. I never tried any bows though. Maybe I should do a dex/bow run later.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Nahxela posted:

You should watch this video if you haven't already (or at least the fight at ~13:30):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTHnNvr5U6k

Ahaha that caught me completely off guard. Him, too!

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I got a few questions about fire weapons. What kind of stats should I focus on when using a couple of Fire Caestus, and if I already have the Flame Weapon spell, would it be pointless to infuse fire to a weapon? Thanks!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

FlocksOfMice posted:

I was excited at getting my second Mytha's Bent Blade but with the ~*new meta*~, it feels almost worthless using them. :smith: I try to punish buffing but I'm getting real tired of Haveldads.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the deal with the cyclops's bite? It instantly killed me, but I went to bleeding, fell out of its mouth, moved away, then died. It was still actually eating me though.

That's happened to me too. It teleported me into its grab from several feet to the side, then instantly killed me while I could still move and swing my weapon behind the YOU DIED message. Polish!

Also after having tried to kill the drakekeepers with no ranged attacks I now completely understand the problem with them (or enemies in general) having no stamina restrictions. They just do not ever have to stop loving attacking unless they feel like it. Also the same attacks can stagger you for wildly different lengths of time at the same poise.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Thwack! posted:

I got a few questions about fire weapons. What kind of stats should I focus on when using a couple of Fire Caestus, and if I already have the Flame Weapon spell, would it be pointless to infuse fire to a weapon? Thanks!

Don't infuse caestuses with fire or anything else for that matter. Their main advantage is their high scaling with strength and dexterity and infusions ruin that.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Thwack! posted:

Fire weapon isn't a good buff these days, and infusing a caestus wrecks its scaling, which is one of the weapon's positives. If you're determined, then you probably want a high average of int and faith, to get your Fire Bonus high, and additionally throw around whatever spells that gets you.

edit: usually elemental infusion + same element spell buff is the way to maxx damage, though, so with other elements and weapons, it's a good plan.

Else, stock up on charcoal pine resin and take str and dex to 40ish.

Vanderdeath posted:

I was excited at getting my second Mytha's Bent Blade but with the ~*new meta*~, it feels almost worthless using them. :smith: I try to punish buffing but I'm getting real tired of Haveldads.

Are poison and toxic damage reduced by the buffs, or are they so tanky they can moss right in front of you?

aegof fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 8, 2014

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Can you not punch Neshandra's curse orbs with a caestus? I punched the hell out of the air around it, but it never went away.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EvilCornbread posted:

Can you not punch Neshandra's curse orbs with a caestus? I punched the hell out of the air around it, but it never went away.

Someone earlier in the thread said it didn't have a large enough hitbox to accomplish it, no.

TurboPriest
Aug 30, 2012

FlocksOfMice posted:

That is the main problem with soul memory, since level doesnt matter anymore builds are no longer a thing, is just a sea of quick rolling havels using washing poles/spin attacks who also have the power to hex indiscriminately.
While good on theory to protect new players it just bad for late gameplay, and its so easy to fix by either making it swap to be a level matchmkaing after a certain cap; or making the amount of souls needed to lvl up escalate exponentially after lets say lvl 50, making it almost impossible to hit a level over 100.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

aegof posted:

Are poison and toxic damage reduced by the buffs, or are they so tanky they can moss right in front of you?

It's a bit of both. Some of them take less than 40 damage per hit while others will chow down on a moss and completely negate all of the effort it took to poison them. I'm at around 4.3M SM, too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOSq0wu5CRM

This guy's channel is a good example of why SM (or really, being able to level really high at all) is pretty terrible.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Genocyber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOSq0wu5CRM

This guy's channel is a good example of why SM (or really, being able to level really high at all) is pretty terrible.

Just go back to Dark Souls 1 already.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to go for some sort of caster monk kind of build with pyromancy. I already have my STR and DEX at 40 for my caestuses, but I am a bit indecisive with what kind of magic goes well with boxing, so I sorta have an even split of ATN, INT and FTH. Any suggestions? By the way, this is a NG+ run and my SL is 147.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Farming Silverblack Sickle has singlehandedly kill my desire to play this game for the third time. Gather 'round and I'll tell a tale of immense stupidity and poor foresight.

I decide that on my melee hexer, I want to try to silverback sickle; so I make the journey through Drangleic Castle, kill the two bosses, and then descend the depths that is Shrine of Obama, after getting through effortlessly I finally come to the area where the enemy I need to farm resides. I put on my item find gear, use a rusted coin and get started. Turns out; the guys I need to farm are the sickle carrying wardens near Agadyne. They seem perfectly content to sit there and die to dark fog with no aggression on their part. Several bonfire runs, and many repair powders later I get no drop. I then realize this character is missing the Prisoner's Tatters item find piece; fortunately the nearby endlessly respawning prisoners drop it so I farm them......for 20 minutes until I finally get a drop. I use another rusted coin and make the run to the grave wardens to discover I've exhausted their their respawn limit..... Joy.

Well no matter I say; I'll just use a bonfire asc- Oh, I don't have any. Well I'll just buy one from Chesty La'Rue back at... No. OH well still no big deal; there's an easy bonfire asctetic at brightston- NOPE. I look online and find out OH THERES ACTUALLY 3 FREE ONES BACK AT THE BOSS YOU KILLED ABOUT AN HOUR AGO so I go back, retrieve the item and make my way back to the bonfire. I use the ascetic to be greeted with the message "Defeat the lord of this quarter" WELL! RETS GO.

I cheese my way through the hordes of enemies using hexes and come to the long hallway where the Fromsoft B decided to stuff a massive shitload heavily armored enemies. Normally I skip these guys but then I spot a summon sign and figure "what the hell, co-op is fun!" It's Agadyne; I pop the sign as I continue the kite the massive amount of boring enemies around the arena. Agadyne finally emerges, blocking my movement momentarily and I get instantly slaughtered by the giant train I was herding. Woops!

So now, hours into this run for a stupid weapon for PVP, I rush my way down again, frustrated. I clear the room, summon Agadyne and some random guy and start the boss fight. Long story short, I run out of spells quickly, my melee attacks do 16 damage to the boss and both phantoms died. As I navigate my packed to burst weapon menu to swap in my spare lightning weapon; I get murdered by a long ranged magic attack. Hehehahaohiohhohiohuihuhiheue

Third run! I run down, summon agadyne and some other guy after clearing the room again and run in. Kill the boss easily and collect my prize; a half naked giant milling around with a sword, and annoying ring.

I go to use my homeward bone and... I dont have any more. Murdering the entirely too chatty emerald herald for her feather crossed my mind, but I decided to just book it back towards the shortcut, and to the bonfire "FINALLY" I thought. I burn the ascetic and rush up to the grave warden area and... there's nothing there.

"...What?"

I go look at a guide, and keeping in tradition with Fromsoft B's level design that calls for a bonfire every 5 rooms, there's a bonfire I missed in some tiny corner before the grave wardens; meaning that entire misadventure before was a complete loving waste of time. I use my other Bonfire Doughnut and rush up; but in NG+ mode there's a bunch of those shield dicks blocking the way; SOOOO I rush back, warp to the second bonfire; and make the run. More coins and runs later; STILL no drop. On my last run, I get impatient with the poison method and just start shooting hexes at the wardens, only to be promptly murdered by them. I look at the block and see "2:00pm" and ask myself "WTF am I doing" and alt F4 out.

The moral is this story is; why does Grave Keeper Agadyne have a big dumb final fantasy sword? He's a cool looking character but when you summon him he's just swinging around this formless mass of lego.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Pyromancy doesn't really need any stat investment besides Attunement, since it scales mostly with the level of the flame. You can totally do that caster/monk thing, it's just Flame Weapon got overnerfed recently. Personally, I like Faith as a side to fisticuffs, because Emit Force has an acceptable likeness to the kamehameha and Great Heal is nice for invasions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I go look at a guide, and keeping in tradition with Fromsoft B's level design that calls for a bonfire every 5 rooms, there's a bonfire I missed in some tiny corner before the grave wardens; meaning that entire misadventure before was a complete loving waste of time. I use my other Bonfire Doughnut and rush up; but in NG+ mode there's a bunch of those shield dicks blocking the way; SOOOO I rush back, warp to the second bonfire; and make the run.

If it makes you feel better those new greatshield guys don't respawn.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Looks like someone who is really dogshit at dark souls has money to spare hahaha.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I cringe every time I get grabbed by the cyclops or leeches. Watching your character get eaten alive is pretty loving painful. I'm glad I'm not poo poo enough to have ever seen the Covetous Demon's grab.

IMO if you're gonna farm for some item that has a low drop rate and only a few enemies to get it from, you should backup your save. Its dumb to have limited respawns and incredibly rare drops at the same time. If you backup your save before farming the enemies though, you can just replace it if you hit the respawn limit rather than use an ascetic.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 9, 2014

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

If I use the ascetic in Dragon Aerie. Will it restock all those dragon bones and crystal lizards? Seems like the best way to get a bunch of upgrade materials.

EDIT.

Also the easiest way of dealing with those ghost spawning obelisks in the crypt is to just throw firebombs at them from medium range. 3 regular firebombs will destroy the obelisk without the ghosts spawning or the bell ringing being triggered. Just don't hit the damned bell that's next to one of them.

White Phosphorus fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 9, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Night Blade posted:

I go look at a guide, and keeping in tradition with Fromsoft B's level design that calls for a bonfire every 5 rooms, there's a bonfire I missed in some tiny corner before the grave wardens; meaning that entire misadventure before was a complete loving waste of time. I use my other Bonfire Doughnut and rush up; but in NG+ mode there's a bunch of those shield dicks blocking the way; SOOOO I rush back, warp to the second bonfire; and make the run. More coins and runs later; STILL no drop. On my last run, I get impatient with the poison method and just start shooting hexes at the wardens, only to be promptly murdered by them. I look at the block and see "2:00pm" and ask myself "WTF am I doing" and alt F4 out.

How could you possibly miss either bonfire in Undead Crypts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

argondamn posted:

Just go back to Dark Souls 1 already.

It is good to know that there are only two solutions on the matter.