Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I just mad a post about Wii Party U on the last page come on!!

The 3 of us who love Mario Party games had a great time drinking and playing Party U last night, so if you do that sort of thing I'd totally recommend it. I've found the mini games a lot more "fair" to casuals than MP8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Little Mac posted:

Does anyone have an experience with Wii Party U? I already have NSMB, played through Wind Waker, and I don't think I'm honestly very interested in Pikmin.

Pikmin is an amazing game, lets get that out of the way.

Having said that, Wii Party U makes for an amazing 4+ person drinking game. Whether or not that makes it worth buying is really up to you though.

LethalGeek posted:

I just mad a post about Wii Party U on the last page come on!!

The 3 of us who love Mario Party games had a great time drinking and playing Party U last night, so if you do that sort of thing I'd totally recommend it. I've found the mini games a lot more "fair" to casuals than MP8.

Have you guys tried Ball Dozer as a party game yet? Drink when your color ball falls and scores points is how we've been playing. Thinking of making some rules for Golden and Poison balls but bonus rounds are already ridiculous enough.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I should mention I do have friends to play with, so I think I'll get WPU. We are the people who buy every Mario Party. Thanks!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Little Mac posted:

We are the people who buy every Mario Party.

That must have ended in disappointment for the last few games.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Metroid Prime looks great but I must be the only dumb idiot baby world struggling with it's controls. Is there something better than the default Wii scheme?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Switch them to advanced controls, the dead zone is loving gigantic on the default setting. If that still doesn't work for you then go hunt down a GC copy of thr game. :v:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Just letting you guys know that the Wonderful 101 deal from a few pages ago doesn't ship/deliver until the end of June or early July.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

TaurusOxford posted:

That must have ended in disappointment for the last few games.

Mario Party 9 wasn't that bad!!!

4 is still my favorite, though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What are people's favorite eShop exclusive titles? I was going to get Earthbound, but then I realized I own it in practically every form already.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

noirstronaut posted:

What are people's favorite eShop exclusive titles? I was going to get Earthbound, but then I realized I own it in practically every form already.

Both NES Remix games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't really have much in the way of eShop-only titles, though I'll be grabbing Pushmo World on the 19th. I mean they have some stuff, like Trine 2, and Shovel Knight soon, but I tend to ignore that portion of the shop.I do have NES Remix and NES Remix 2, but your enjoyment of it will depend on how much you like microgame type challenges like Warioware.

With Virtual Console I usually just grab stuff with Club Nintendo points. The exception has been the Gameboy Advance games since Nintendo is not likely to throw those up as rewards anytime soon.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

noirstronaut posted:

The NES Remix games are pretty swell.
Though the second game is more fun than the first.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

noirstronaut posted:

Both NES Remix games. Pushmo World will be good too but that comes out next week.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

noirstronaut posted:

It's not eShop exclusive but I enjoyed Duck Tales.

nachos posted:

Metroid Prime looks great but I must be the only dumb idiot baby world struggling with it's controls. Is there something better than the default Wii scheme?

I may have to get that now. I was worried that if I never played it until now, it would look really dated. Especially after playing too much MK8.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hmm. I am a huge fan of the Pushmo series. I'm asking mostly because I'll have $10 in my pocket and $10 off $60 isn't much (in my eyes) so I rather spend it on something worth $10.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pushmo World will be $10 bucks so wait for that.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Artix posted:

Switch them to advanced controls, the dead zone is loving gigantic on the default setting. If that still doesn't work for you then go hunt down a GC copy of thr game. :v:

Thanks, that helped a lot

Spacebump posted:

I may have to get that now. I was worried that if I never played it until now, it would look really dated. Especially after playing too much MK8.

It's really good and looks nice as well. I just finished playing Super Metroid (for the first time :negative:) and it's basically Super Metroid 3D.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The NES Remix games are pretty swell.
Though the second game is more fun than the first.

Oh yeah! The NES Remix games exist!

Looks like I found the purchase that will push me to my first (and likely last) Digital Deluxe $5 credit. Thanks!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I spent one day obsessively trying to three rainbow star all the challenges in NES Remix 2. It was really addictive, enough so that I'm now trying to go back to NES Remix 1 to do the same even though it's a bit tougher.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

I spent one day obsessively trying to three rainbow star all the challenges in NES Remix 2. It was really addictive, enough so that I'm now trying to go back to NES Remix 1 to do the same even though it's a bit tougher.

You will get so frustrated when it comes to Mario Bros., Ice Climber and Clu Clu Land. Those games have some of the most anal requirements.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

RMZXAnarchy posted:

You will get so frustrated when it comes to Mario Bros., Ice Climber and Clu Clu Land. Those games have some of the most anal requirements.

Wait until you get to "Golf." That will make you want to throw your controller in frustration. It is literally trial and error.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Spectacle Rock posted:

Wait until you get to "Golf." That will make you want to throw your controller in frustration. It is literally trial and error.

Yeah, those can be pretty bad. But the controls in Clu Clu Land were more annoying than replaying the golf challenges constantly.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Just wanna say that if you get the Deluxe Promotion on an MK8 Wii U, it only amopunts to $5 because fo the free game. Since MK8 is a retail disc, you don't get anything for it. Should be logical, but here I am.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Rainbowing everything in one wasn't too bad for the actual games, the remixes were what was too difficult for me.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Is there a way, in Mario Kart 8, to make it where one player has his/her own screen when playing 2-player with the Wii U pad? Like, one player has the TV, and the other has the Wii U pad, and there's no splitscreen. It was done with Sonic All-Stars; surely they did it for this game. I can't find an options screen and I can't turn anything up on Google.

I also didn't see a dedicated Wii U game thread so I figured this was the best place to ask.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

matrix ripoff posted:

Is there a way, in Mario Kart 8, to make it where one player has his/her own screen when playing 2-player with the Wii U pad? Like, one player has the TV, and the other has the Wii U pad, and there's no splitscreen. It was done with Sonic All-Stars; surely they did it for this game. I can't find an options screen and I can't turn anything up on Google.

I also didn't see a dedicated Wii U game thread so I figured this was the best place to ask.

Nope. It's to prevent unfair advantages for the GamePad player, I think, and also to ensure a steady 60FPS.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

DoctorWhat posted:

Nope. It's to prevent unfair advantages for the GamePad player, I think, and also to ensure a steady 60FPS.

What advantages, exactly?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I don't know why Nintendo didn't include that feature. The gamepad user already gets a huge advantage with the map plus they get to see everyone's items, and it shouldn't have a problem running at 60fps if there's only one person using the TV.
I almost expect Nintendo to patch this feature in, but expecting Nintendo to do anything usually doesn't pay off

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

.TakaM posted:

I don't know why Nintendo didn't include that feature. The gamepad user already gets a huge advantage with the map plus they get to see everyone's items, and it shouldn't have a problem running at 60fps if there's only one person using the TV.
I almost expect Nintendo to patch this feature in, but expecting Nintendo to do anything usually doesn't pay off
MK8 pretty much pushes the Wii U to its limits, they didn't even have the spare cycles to add anti-aliasing, no way could they have managed to render an entire second screen view without lowering the framerate.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rayman Legends is $19.99 at Best Buy right now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rayman-legends-nintendo-wii-u/5768338.p

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I actually finished up Mario Bros. and Clu Clu Land the other day. Still need to work on Ice Climbers and Golf.

I'm a horrible gaming masochist. :(

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

PrBacterio posted:

MK8 pretty much pushes the Wii U to its limits, they didn't even have the spare cycles to add anti-aliasing, no way could they have managed to render an entire second screen view without lowering the framerate.

How do you think splitscreen works in the first place? (hint exactly like that)

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

noirstronaut posted:

Just wanna say that if you get the Deluxe Promotion on an MK8 Wii U, it only amopunts to $5 because fo the free game. Since MK8 is a retail disc, you don't get anything for it. Should be logical, but here I am.
If you buy MK8 on the eShop, it nets to $10. You get 599 points for the game itself and another 599 for the freebie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Edit: wrong thread

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010

TVs Ian posted:

If you buy MK8 on the eShop, it nets to $10. You get 599 points for the game itself and another 599 for the freebie.

noirstronaut posted:

Just wanna say that if you get the Deluxe Promotion on an MK8 Wii U, it only amounts to $5 because of the free game. Since MK8 is a retail disc, you don't get anything for it. Should be logical, but here I am.

The bundle dear, it comes with a retail disc vs buying digital because you got the bundle with the console itself.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

BingeHooligan posted:

The bundle dear, it comes with a retail disc vs buying digital because you got the bundle with the console itself.

Oh right, forgot there was a bundle for that now.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Buying a refurb when you are impatient is the worst goddamn decision I've ever made.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Comrade Flynn posted:

Buying a refurb when you are impatient is the worst goddamn decision I've ever made.

Buying Rayman while you're waiting might help

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I finished Pikmin 3 today. Wow, that game was really, really short. I thought you'd have to go back and collect all the fruit but I guess not. I'm happy I didn't spend any money on it because I don't think 60 bucks is really fair for a game that only takes 8 or 10 hours to finish. They really should've added some levels before you go fight the last boss that build on the things you've already learned. I think I only spent a day or two with all the possible Pikmin. The game was cool and it sorta had a Metroid-esque feel where you're slowly getting more stuff that allows you to access past areas but just as I was getting into it it ended.

Maybe the missions add some value but I don't think one-off Pikmin adventures are nearly as fun as slowly progressing through levels. Oh well at least it was free. :smith:

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Buying Rayman while you're waiting might help

Good. Great. A 7th game for a system I don't own.

• Locked thread