Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Feindfeuer posted:

Also sorry Renaussance Robot for shooting your KV gunner. Shooting gunners is just something I do out of habit.

Ain't even mad, that round was going down the toilet anyway. I think my team had what, three other tanks left? and only five or six players compared to a nearly full red roster. They can't all be winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fart Car '97 posted:

Woop, I just failed to penetrate a panther frontally from less than 400 meters with the T-34-85. Please explain, these spreadsheets aren't adding up.
Panthers are assholes.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90jJPhilSH0

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I haven't played since way before ground forces was introduced and loving lovin' combined arms. I got a question though, and I'll probably be laughed out of the thread for based on the last couple of pages, but are the russian tanks just better in rank 1-2? Or am I doing something horribly wrong? (this is sim battles).

I don't really care either way, I'm going up both trees, switching back and forth, it just seems like I'm getting completely pummled in the german tanks (I unlocked the Pz III F), while doing alright in the russian ones (unlocking poo poo left and right in the russian tree, but way, way behind in the german one). I see a ton of stugs though, so maybe I just need to unlock that instead? Mainly it's t-50s and t-28s, that I can't seem to penetrate, but they more or less oneshot me. I would assume it's just me that sucks at aiming, but seeing as I'm doing decently in the t-28 and zis-30, I was wondering if there was something I'm missing. Also, what about long-term? Are there similar problems in the higher ranks?

It's pretty glorious that bombing is actually useful in combined arms though (well, for killing dudes that is), but holy poo poo even taken off is difficult, I've died hilariously on the runway so many times.

vvvv: Cool, I'm power through, thanks guys.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 8, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The wait for US tanks is a long painful one.

Or maybe not, I've taken many one-shot instagibs from AAA to my B17G.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I don't really care either way, I'm going up both trees, switching back and forth, it just seems like I'm getting completely pummled in the german tanks (I unlocked the Pz III F), while doing alright in the russian ones (unlocking poo poo left and right in the russian tree, but way, way behind in the german one). I see a ton of stugs though, so maybe I just need to unlock that instead? Mainly it's t-50s and t-28s, that I can't seem to penetrate, but they more or less oneshot me. I would assume it's just me that sucks at aiming, but seeing as I'm doing decently in the t-28 and zis-30, I was wondering if there was something I'm missing. Also, what about long-term? Are there similar problems in the higher ranks?

The 7.5cm German guns are really awful and require HEAT rounds to be effective versus a lot of the early Russian stuff. I generally used the tanks with the 3.7cm guns. They are much easier to aim and get APCR I think? You still have to place your shots carefully but at least you have choices other than HEAT.

The gun on the Pz III F is fine but you have to be really careful since it's a slow tank and the turret traverse time is abysmal.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 8, 2014

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, early on in T1 the germans are really kinda boned with the combination of rather lovely guns against rather good russian armor. Things get a lot more even in T2 when they get the long 75mm and 50mm guns, generally giving them a pretty significant firepower advantage over the russians. Until then, the Pz. III line is generally the least painful.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Also the Panzer 38(t), which later leads to the excellent Hetzer.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I haven't played since way before ground forces was introduced and loving lovin' combined arms. I got a question though, and I'll probably be laughed out of the thread for based on the last couple of pages, but are the russian tanks just better in rank 1-2? Or am I doing something horribly wrong? (this is sim battles).

Russia dominates Tier I, but things even out at Tier II. The Pz III L, Pz IV F-2, and Stug F are all solid tanks and easily hold their own.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Also the Panzer 38(t), which later leads to the excellent Hetzer.

First one is great, second one is a bit painful.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The F2 is great because you can easily troll russians by using artillery-peeking to force them into situations where they have to crest a hill if they want to engage you, and most of the time their depression is such poo poo you basically get a free shot on them. I mean, all the German tanks can do this, but since most hits with the F2 are insta-gibs, it's particularly well suited to the job.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

organburner posted:

drat, not gonna get the boston, got the 70 kills all right but 70 battles? Seriously? That's like 12 hours assuming around 10 minutes per battle (and they very often stretch longer than that)
I still have like 30 or so battles left.
EDIT: How is battle activity counted anyway? Could I just jump in one plane per AB and shoot the first plane I see and ram another one and be done or how does that work?

Load up tanks in arcade battles as Russians with the T50. Drive as fast as you can to the cap point and cap it, or kill one tank. Then quit. Instant 99-100% participation, and only about 2 minutes per match. That's how I grabbed my last 30 matches.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

El Disco posted:

First one is great, second one is a bit painful.

It has the armour of the PzIII and the gun's plenty servicable. Lord knows I've killed dozens of T-34s from the front with it.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

jadebullet posted:

Load up tanks in arcade battles as Russians with the T50. Drive as fast as you can to the cap point and cap it, or kill one tank. Then quit. Instant 99-100% participation, and only about 2 minutes per match. That's how I grabbed my last 30 matches.

Man this thing's just a rally car in AB, so much fun.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Is there a way to check your progress in the event or do you have to do it manually?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Profile>Achievements>Achievements, on the bar down the left>Special

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Heliosicle posted:

Man this thing's just a rally car in AB, so much fun.

I know right. I love getting the right side of ash river because I just fly down the bridge side and park in their spawn and do donuts until a tank spawns.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
What's a better choice for 20mm turret belts, AP or HEF shells? At first I assumed HEF would be the way to go but thinking it over AP might be more likely to pilot people or blow out their engine than HEF would be to take their wing off.

For the G8N1 specifically.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

All I can say is thank loving god AI tanks don't do much damage, because Kursk in a T1 Russian tank would be extremely painful.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Does anybody else think the new location for the Soviet airfield on Ash River is absolutely terrible?

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Perestroika posted:

the Pz. III line is generally the least painful.

loving lies. The Pz. III line is poo poo until you get to the Ausf. L in my experience. The Ausf. E and F have terrible survivability. Your crew will get knocked out/ammo burnt out/otherwise crippled if a Russian tank so much as glances in your direction. The gun is pretty good if you remember to shoot the turrets of Russian tanks, but if you're ever in a situation in which you need to trade shots, you will lose. And unless you're playing on Kursk, that's a situation that you pretty much cannot avoid (unless you're content with not actually shooting stuff).

StuG A. all the way for low tiers. People here often say that one shot to the driver's slit will kill a StuG, but that's better than the "one shot to the anywhere" of the Pz. III's. Plus, most players don't actually aim for weakspots so have fun (actually, not sarcastically) consistently bouncing Russian guns.

Also how do you take out heavy bombers? Specifically PBYs which I see everywhere.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 8, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Subyng posted:

loving lies. The Pz. III line is poo poo until you get to the Ausf. L in my experience. The Ausf. E and F have terrible survivability. Your crew will get knocked out/ammo burnt out/otherwise crippled if a Russian tank so much as glances in your direction. The gun is pretty good if you remember to shoot the turrets of Russian tanks, but if you're ever in a situation in which you need to trade shots, you will lose. And unless you're playing on Kursk, that's a situation that you pretty much cannot avoid (unless you're content with not actually shooting stuff).

StuG A. all the way for low tiers. People here often say that one shot to the driver's slit will kill a StuG, but that's better than the "one shot to the anywhere" of the Pz. III's. Plus, most players don't actually aim for weakspots so have fun (actually, not sarcastically) consistently bouncing Russian guns.

The Pz III E is kewl, actually. It's a little sniper with APCR.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
There really needs to be a minimum number of players for a match to start. I do not want to play a 5v5. That's all it is right now outside arcade. I pretty much just quit the moment I see that it is and it's so annoying because it's such a waste of time for me to sit down, and get ready to play only to quit instantly because its a boring low population match, game after game.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I feel like the rewards from SB are really low compared to how hard it is to actually make headway when you're starting out. I want to break into SB but it's hard when like 90% of most games is just flying around and then I probably just die anyway.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Subyng posted:

There really needs to be a minimum number of players for a match to start. I do not want to play a 5v5. That's all it is right now outside arcade. I pretty much just quit the moment I see that it is and it's so annoying because it's such a waste of time for me to sit down, and get ready to play only to quit instantly because its a boring low population match, game after game.

Play on the EU server, you rarely see small games.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I just watched a Jadgpanzer drive off the cliffs on Ash River. He hit the ground at almost 90 degrees, and then his tank loving bounced up into the air a good fifteen feet. It then tumbled around like a quarter on a bartop and ultimately settled on it's back like an upturned turtle. I did not know tanks could bounce.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I just watched a Jadgpanzer drive off the cliffs on Ash River. He hit the ground at almost 90 degrees, and then his tank loving bounced up into the air a good fifteen feet. It then tumbled around like a quarter on a bartop and ultimately settled on it's back like an upturned turtle. I did not know tanks could bounce.

Rubberized tanks are just one of the many wunderwaffen that proved too impractical to mass-produce.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Subyng posted:

Plus one guy will bring something like a Yak-7 into a tier IV match and then quit as soon as he gets shot down by a Dora.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Last night, I found out that you have a crew you can upgrade. Had enough points to get expert in all 5 of my current planes and it seems to help dramatically.

I've been leveling all the crew abilities fairly evenly. Putting more points into Reload and Weapons Maintenance for my bomber. Any tips for crew leveling?

Been ignoring repair and the skill above it, though. Just having them auto repair for now.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Subyng posted:

Yeah, until the playerbase has caught up, CA has essentially put a halt on my tanking above Era 2 in RB and SB. Small tank battles were tolerable before, but now watching half your team float above the battlefield is just tedious.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Rubicon posted:

Last night, I found out that you have a crew you can upgrade. Had enough points to get expert in all 5 of my current planes and it seems to help dramatically.

I've been leveling all the crew abilities fairly evenly. Putting more points into Reload and Weapons Maintenance for my bomber. Any tips for crew leveling?

Been ignoring repair and the skill above it, though. Just having them auto repair for now.

Vitality is quite important, get it to 50ish, after that I guess (for RB) the 2 that let you see targets from further away, ones called spotting I think, then G force resistance since blacking out when turnfighting is annoying.

Really just level them all pretty much equally, and it depends if you're playing AB or RB and if you're flying fighters or bombers. All the descriptions are pretty accurate when you hover over them, if weirdly worded.

I was going to say read the OP but guess there isn't a bit on crew skills so :shrug: AZRAN

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Rubicon posted:

Vitality is very nice, especially on planes with poorly protected and/or exposed cockpits. Reload is very good in Arcade mode. Keen Vision and Awareness are probably the most important skills.

Repair only works if your repair rank is equal to or greater than the rank of the plane the crew is in. Repair is extremely useful if you're playing Realistic mode and you're good enough to fly back and land safely, otherwise don't bother with it.

Gunner skills are fairly useless except to up your crew rank more easily so you can expert. You'll be far more accurate than even a maxed out crew by just doing the aiming yourself. Vitality is probably the best of them just for the sake of keeping your gunners alive a bit longer. They don't do anything at all if you have no turrets. Make sure all of your gunners are experienced though or they might as well not even be there.

Experting and to a lesser extent Acing your crews is very helpful since it adds a bunch of points to several good skills(and is the only way to get those skills that high.)

I wouldn't completely ignore stamina but it's definitely the least useful of all the skills.

Weapon Maintenance is also very good if you like to really lay on the guns. Nothing worse than having a cannon jam with 100 rounds left in it in the middle of a fight.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 9, 2014

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Perestroika posted:

Even on Karelia you can often thin out the AAA from the ground to the point where it's fairly safe when you spawn on point #2
I've been getting Karelia in RB so many loving times I know the ranges to the 6 or 7 AAA emplacements reachable from that spawn off by heart, and can take them out with 1-2 HE shells each.

Avynte posted:

Yeah, until the playerbase has caught up, CA has essentially put a halt on my tanking above Era 2 in RB and SB. Small tank battles were tolerable before, but now watching half your team float above the battlefield is just tedious.
Nothing like winning a round because you're the last tank alive while enemy fighters strafe you to no effect.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 9, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Flying US UK JP RB, tanks and CA have simply killed the game. Any numbers yet of tank VS plane players, activities? Not that they'd matter much, surely there's another huge load of people waiting for US tanks to be added before they convert.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

Flying US UK JP RB, tanks and CA have simply killed the game. Any numbers yet of tank VS plane players, activities? Not that they'd matter much, surely there's another huge load of people waiting for US tanks to be added before they convert.

Funny thing is there is more US players waiting in RB que, than both German and Russian tank players combined

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
I wish they'd let you just fly whatever allied planes with Russian tanks and whatever axis planes with German tanks. They'll almost have to do that for Japan at least if they're ever going to get in on CA too.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Is there a way to get default controls back on Ps4? The in game option never seems to work and I really dislike the instructor controls when I'm in a bomber. Every time I try to change controls the game just crashes out.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Just had a game where every single human enemy player bailed out rather than get shot down once we had them dead to rights :negative:

Subyng
May 4, 2013
What the heck is with Russian planes being unable to glide? Every time I try to land in a Russian plane (usually due to my engine being dead) as I'm approaching the airfield, at the very last moment, the thing just nosedives into the ground. What the gently caress? I have no problems landing German planes...

jesus_rocket
Jan 11, 2006

OMG HAPPEE

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

It was jesus_rocket all along; he was the brony.

Nah, I just had to get my name changed from "Captain Rapeface" because too many people complained, and the admin i went too said i couldn't have "anything referencing something disgusting, like horse porn or" but he approved EquineErotica so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tonight has mostly consisted of me in 5v5 games where 4/5 of the enemy team sticks together and picks the same route as me, or i drive around and can't find anyone then the moment i turn around a tiger materializes behind me.

Small games are really awful in tanks.

• Locked thread