Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Buying Rayman while you're waiting might help

He's complaining that he ordered a refurb system and he's got 6 games and it hasn't even come in yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

axeil posted:

I finished Pikmin 3 today. Wow, that game was really, really short. I thought you'd have to go back and collect all the fruit but I guess not. I'm happy I didn't spend any money on it because I don't think 60 bucks is really fair for a game that only takes 8 or 10 hours to finish. They really should've added some levels before you go fight the last boss that build on the things you've already learned. I think I only spent a day or two with all the possible Pikmin. The game was cool and it sorta had a Metroid-esque feel where you're slowly getting more stuff that allows you to access past areas but just as I was getting into it it ended.

Maybe the missions add some value but I don't think one-off Pikmin adventures are nearly as fun as slowly progressing through levels. Oh well at least it was free. :smith:

You can still go back and get all the fruit even if the game doesn't force you to. Collecting it all is where the majority of the gameplay is, if you just blitz through the story then yeah it's pretty short.

I got about 20 hours out of it, not counting mission mode.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Buying a refurb when you are impatient is the worst goddamn decision I've ever made.

Yeah...

Are you getting MK8? I'm looking at the wiki to kill time - figure I might as well have a plan for what character and kart setup I want to use when I can actually play the drat thing.

This is also a good deal, thanks SeANMcBAY! Seriously considering picking this up, especially for just $20. Actually never played a Rayman game before, though I've heard good things. How does it compare to Tropical Freeze and 3D World?

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

CatsPajamas posted:

This is also a good deal, thanks SeANMcBAY! Seriously considering picking this up, especially for just $20. Actually never played a Rayman game before, though I've heard good things. How does it compare to Tropical Freeze and 3D World?

I'm sure people will tell you how wrong I am, but I think it's a better than DKTF and NSMBU. The music, art direction, and design once you realize you're supposed to run through levels is all top notch. The fact that most of the Rayman Origins levels are included is just icing on the cake.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

CatsPajamas posted:

Yeah...

Are you getting MK8? I'm looking at the wiki to kill time - figure I might as well have a plan for what character and kart setup I want to use when I can actually play the drat thing.

I think it's alright, but was greatly turned off by the presentation and the weird jumble of gameplay modes, so I'd definitely rank DK:TF higher on all accounts. DK is one of the best 2-D platformers out right now, and easily ranks alongside the original Rayman Origins, which I'd basically considered the absolute pinnacle of its genre at its release and it hasn't really lost any of that charm now.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

How do you think splitscreen works in the first place? (hint exactly like that)

Not drawing 2 scenes, drawing 2 screens. Having to fill in a separate what 840x576 whatever the game pad is after drawing the main 720p/1080p might have been too much for the graphics.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

BingeHooligan posted:

The bundle dear, it comes with a retail disc vs buying digital because you got the bundle with the console itself.

This is more or less what I was saying. I only said so here because I somehow thought I'd be getting $10; just wanted to "warn" other people if they were thinking as ignorantly as I was.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
That's really not how it works though. When you play split screen 2 or 4 "screens" are drawn. The reasoning for not having the gamepad be able to display it's users screen probably has more to do with fairness than graphical capability.

iminay
Dec 18, 2012

Rayman Legends is by far the best platformer in Wii-U right now. Blows the non 3d Mario Bro's out of the water.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You guys keep convincing me to spend money, stop it. Now I'm gonna go get Donkey Kong and Rayman this week because of that Target sale and that Best Buy sale.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Holy poo poo this secret exit in world 5-4 is terrible, I keep getting one death and then restarting the whole level since there's no barrels to let me grab Dixie.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Rayman is great and literally the only game ever made that manages to make underwater levels fun.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Yoshifan823 posted:

Donkey Kong ... Target sale.

What did I miss?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

noirstronaut posted:

What did I miss?

Pre-ordering a game for a dollar gets you 15 off any game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Comrade Flynn posted:

Good. Great. A 7th game for a system I don't own.

ChaosArgate posted:

He's complaining that he ordered a refurb system and he's got 6 games and it hasn't even come in yet.

:thejoke:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

If it makes you feel better I just got back from Best Buy. :derp:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Comrade Flynn posted:

If it makes you feel better I just got back from Best Buy. :derp:

It does. :3:

You're gonna have a freaking blast when that thing gets to you, tho! And you'll have enough games to play until what they show off at E3 comes out.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I felt kinda like a sucker not waiting for a sale to get the MK bundle, but at least I'm not doing that to myself.

Hasn't that refurb sale been going on for months? If only I had the foresight to realize I actually wanted the thing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

kater posted:

I felt kinda like a sucker not waiting for a sale to get the MK bundle, but at least I'm not doing that to myself.

Hasn't that refurb sale been going on for months? If only I had the foresight to realize I actually wanted the thing.

It's not really a sale so much as just the price of a refurb Wii U. I almost ended up buying it myself, but I like knowing my stuff has only ever been mine and then the vanity from buying a bundle.

Anyway, I think my next game will be 3D World. Is there a tl;dr of everyone's thoughts on it? I've been watching gameplay of it for a few weeks/months and it doesn't give me any 3D Land vibes (loved 3D Land)

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Cloks posted:

Pre-ordering a game for a dollar gets you 15 off any game.

Following up with this, it's $1 to reserve a game (they hold it for a week) and you get $15 off a game $40 or more. I think there's a limit of 4 preorders per game per person, and you can get he discount once for each one.

noirstronaut posted:

Anyway, I think my next game will be 3D World. Is there a tl;dr of everyone's thoughts on it? I've been watching gameplay of it for a few weeks/months and it doesn't give me any 3D Land vibes (loved 3D Land)

I've heard pretty much only good things about it. There was a LP going on where a lot of people commented on their thoughts about the game, but I apparently can't find it now. They were generally all positive things though.

CatsPajamas fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 9, 2014

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

noirstronaut posted:

It's not really a sale so much as just the price of a refurb Wii U. I almost ended up buying it myself, but I like knowing my stuff has only ever been mine and then the vanity from buying a bundle.

A lot of people think it's basically joy incarnate so enjoy

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

the best way to describe 3D World is that you're a kid inside the world's biggest candy store, and everything is free!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

noirstronaut posted:

What are people's favorite eShop exclusive titles? I was going to get Earthbound, but then I realized I own it in practically every form already.

As far as games that can't be found on any other platform, Scram Kitty And His Buddy on Rails is a fun action/shooting game that just came out a couple weeks ago, Spin The Bottle is a fun party game that no-one but me cares about, NES Remix 1/2 are quality. Art Academy Sketchpad is a decent art tool (and the only one available for Wii U, I think) but it doesn't have the lessons or any of the other features from the 3DS game.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

Holy poo poo this secret exit in world 5-4 is terrible, I keep getting one death and then restarting the whole level since there's no barrels to let me grab Dixie.

If you play co-op mode and have Dixie jump on DK's back you can take three hits before losing Dixie.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

noirstronaut posted:

As someone who only sorta' liked 3D Land and absolutely adored 3D World, I think your head will probably explode when you play 3D World.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Can we just make the thread title "3D World is good poo poo, loving buy it you assholes"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I think I'm more critical of pretty much everythign Nintendo does than almost anyone else in this thread but just loving by 3D World. It's easily the best Mario since Galaxy. Unless you just despise platformers and all that they stand for, you really don't have an excuse to not own 3D World.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just paid $27 for it and I'm not even mad. A game hasn't glued me to my couch this horribly since...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

The main difference when I went back to 3D Land (to finish off some stuff) seemed like generally tighter and higher camera angle and levels designed around that. 3D World basically expands the levels and camera accordingly, and it works well for both single and multiplayer (which is fantastic), although I'd say jumps are a bit harder with the camera change but you get used to it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Has the USA eShop's music been changing periodically? Because at least over here in EU that has been happening almost bimonthly and the latest one is absolutely lovely, probably my favourite shop theme yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9izPO8x7D4

Also, on Mario Kart release week there was some appropriate MK music. I love that they do this, it's so very Nintendo :allears:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I understand that the chance of Nintendo announcing on Tuesday that Retro is working on a Metroid game for the Wii U is 0%, but I'm going to hope for it and get let down anyway :smith:

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Has the USA eShop's music been changing periodically? Because at least over here in EU that has been happening almost bimonthly and the latest one is absolutely lovely, probably my favourite shop theme yet:

Also, on Mario Kart release week there was some appropriate MK music. I love that they do this, it's so very Nintendo :allears:
Isn't that the normal eShop music?

I thought we had that, and then we had a christmasy winter tune for December, something new for New Years, a return to that and then Mario Kart esque beats that are still currently up.

I look forward to whatever they have planned for the eShop music wise come Smash release.

Lemming posted:

I understand that the chance of Nintendo announcing on Tuesday that Retro is working on a Metroid game for the Wii U is 0%, but I'm going to hope for it and get let down anyway :smith:
I'm hoping for a Metroid on at least one of the systems. Prime 4 or a Metroid given a similar job to what ALBW got would be good enough for me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Metroid already got the LBW treatment ten years ago, it was called Zero Mission.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I can't disagree with that logic, but that's not really what I meant.

A 10 year old game also doesn't help much if I want a new one either.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I'm still waiting for an action oriented Anthony Higgs spinoff :colbert:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Amppelix posted:

Its one of the things that actually makes me enjoy regularly checking up on the eshop, even if I won't buy anything. Much as I love Steam, it hasn't got charming background music.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Dudes, gotta choose my free game. Wind Waker vs Pikmin vs Wonderful 101 (leaning this way).

I'm a Zelda fan but somehow haven't played WW.

Never played a Pikmin but like the idea of it.

I liked TW101 demo but couldn't find it in a store here and don't usually buy console games digitally.

Any suggestions? Are any of these particularly long and/or replayable?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Digital Jesus posted:

Dudes, gotta choose my free game. Wind Waker vs Pikmin vs Wonderful 101 (leaning this way).

I liked TW101 demo but couldn't find it in a store here and don't usually buy console games digitally.

Wonderful 101 is not, like, 40 hours long on the first go-thru, but there's SO MUCH CONTENT it'll easily last 40+ hours if you want to put that much time in. Lots and lots of replay value!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Digital Jesus posted:

Honestly, it really depends.

Wind Waker is a fantastic Zelda game and absolutely worth playing. It kind of peters out near the end but is a solid and well-made game.

Wonderful 101 is, in theory, the game with more value. It is a fairly long game on its own with a bunch of hidden characters and score attacks and optional difficulty modes to do. However if you're not looking to do those modes it does lose some of its value. (Although it's still like ~12 hours in length for a single playthrough a completely worth playing.)

that said: http://www.amazon.com/The-Wonderful-101-Nintendo-Wii-U/dp/B002I08CSW
You can order Wonderful 101 for like $23 from Amazon. Wind Waker is more expensive pretty much everywhere. If you have to get one and don't end up having a strong preference, get WW just because it is more expensive.

Pikmin 3 is a good game but the other two are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!

Digital Jesus posted:

Wonderful 101 is my personal favorite, but you can get it for cheap from time to time. I say get Pikmin 3 or WWHD because you can rarely find them for sub-$30.

• Locked thread