Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Small shot in a double espresso. (Is it good grappa? Sip it neat.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Made the Employees Only version of the Martinez the other night. It uses dry vermouth instead of sweet, inverts the gin/vermouth ratio and adds some absinthe bitters which are a mix of absinthe, Green Chartreuse, Angostura bitters, Peychauds bitters and Fees mint bitters. It's so different from the original recipe that I'm not sure you can even call it a Martinez anymore, but I much prefer this version over the original. The absinthe bitters are really complex and I think would be a good substitute for straight absinthe in most cases.

Employees Only Martinez

2.5 oz gin(I used Anchor Junipero)
0.75 oz Dolin blanc vermouth
0.5 Luxardo Maraschino
0.25 absinthe bitters
stir/strain/lemon twist

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

nwin posted:

I checked the first 5 pages, but nada.

Best bloody Mary recipe. GO!

The one from Speakeasy is the best base I've tasted. I've kinda dicked with it over the years until it works for my tastes.

2oz vodka (3oz if I feel not too hungover)
5oz BM mix
1/2oz lemon juice, more or less to taste

Shake with bigass cubes, garnish with celery stalk, lemon wedge, and if you wanna get fancy a toothpick with olive and/or grape/cherry tomato and/or cocktail onion.

BM Mix: mix this shiz, refrigerate overnight, strain.
3c tom juice
1/2 TB capers, smashed up
3oz Worcestershire
2oz lemon juice
1oz pickle brine (they say to use olive, but I use pickle brine from a jar of McClures, which are so delicious you should have them anyways)
1/2 tsp celery salt
1tsp ground pepper
2tsp chipotle Tabasco (they use regular, but I double it and go with the smokiness of chipotle because its awesome. obviously, do this to taste)
4TB grated horseradish (I use jarred, because I've never even seen fresh root here)

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
From small acorns...

Slimchandi posted:

Two weeks ago I was wondering how to make for the red drink with gin that I had last summer.

Now I've read this thread back to back, and have the start of a wonderful problem. Thanks thread.

NB. not pictured, fridge full of soda tins, Fever Tree tonic and vermouths, and freezer FULL of ice cube trays.

... to one year on...

Thanks for all the support guys.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Slimchandi posted:

From small acorns...

... to one year on...

Thanks for all the support guys.

Your sideboard design/set up looks eerily similar to mine :tinfoil:

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Race day tomorrow so obviously Mint Julep and Pimm's Cup. Any suggested recipes?
Also I am thinking of premixing both. Ideas? Mint Julep, I assume I should leave the mint out of the premix otherwise it will just be overpowered sitting in bourbon overnight.
But with the Pimm's I am wondering what I should or shouldn't include? Everything except the cucumber? Seems like those would be better fresh cut, on the spot.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
This Total Tiki app seems pretty rad. You put in all the ingredients you have, and it tells you what kind of tiki drinks you can make with what's on hand (or what you could substitute in safely), and what ingredients you should buy to open up the most recipes. It also filters by prep method and serving size, among other things. The ingredient pages even have a little info on them, as well as recommended brands. I wish there was something like this for general cocktails and not just tiki drinks.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

zmcnulty posted:

Race day tomorrow so obviously Mint Julep and Pimm's Cup. Any suggested recipes?
Also I am thinking of premixing both. Ideas? Mint Julep, I assume I should leave the mint out of the premix otherwise it will just be overpowered sitting in bourbon overnight.
But with the Pimm's I am wondering what I should or shouldn't include? Everything except the cucumber? Seems like those would be better fresh cut, on the spot.

I'm curious as to how/why you'd premix a julep, considering it is mint, sugar, crushed ice, and whiskey. Unless you mean pre crushing the ice, which I would do and just might do.

Mint and other herbs/greens generally dont benefit and actually suffer from an extended "steeping" time - 12 hours is probably too long for most. I took some mint stems and infused them in Rittenhouse 100 for a few hours and it was pretty tasty. Earthy, minty, and not too bitter. A good use for the "offal" I think.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
The update no one asked for...

I got both Vya and Dolin!!!! Very excited :D

Currently drinking a martini. 6:1, Tanqueray:Vya, and it's fantastic. Can't wait to try the Dolin!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

cbirdsong posted:

This Total Tiki app seems pretty rad. You put in all the ingredients you have, and it tells you what kind of tiki drinks you can make with what's on hand (or what you could substitute in safely), and what ingredients you should buy to open up the most recipes. It also filters by prep method and serving size, among other things. The ingredient pages even have a little info on them, as well as recommended brands. I wish there was something like this for general cocktails and not just tiki drinks.

Bartenders choice.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
With the lime shortage starting to rear its ugly head, I'm starting to search for summer cocktails that use lemons instead of limes. So far I've tried a whiskey smash (most excellent) and a may daisy (cognac, lemon, and green chartreuse), which was also quite good. Are there any other good lemon-using cocktails I should be drinking?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Mr. Glass posted:

With the lime shortage starting to rear its ugly head, I'm starting to search for summer cocktails that use lemons instead of limes. So far I've tried a whiskey smash (most excellent) and a may daisy (cognac, lemon, and green chartreuse), which was also quite good. Are there any other good lemon-using cocktails I should be drinking?

How is it starting when in actuality it seems to finally be ending? Limes at my usual Asian market were 6/$1, back down from a high of 2/$1 when they even bothered to show up.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I made a Chutes and Ladders last night. This is an interesting one that combines Swedish Punsch, Cocchi Americano and lime that is spicy and complex while also being light and refreshing. First sip made me think of a Margarita crossed with a bottle of Smith and Cross. I think that the funkiness and baking spices from the punsch would also combine well with a Reposado or Anejo tequila, but it would probably lose some of it's lightness.

Chutes and Ladders
1.5 oz Blanco Tequila
1 oz Swedish Punsch
1 oz Cocchi Americano
0.5 oz lime juice
shake/strain/orange twist

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

The Hebug posted:

How is it starting when in actuality it seems to finally be ending? Limes at my usual Asian market were 6/$1, back down from a high of 2/$1 when they even bothered to show up.

here they've gone from 25-50 cents each to 4/$5.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Glass posted:

Jack Rose

.75 oz ea lemon and grenadine
2 oz Apple Jack
Shake strain lemon twist

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Mr. Glass posted:

here they've gone from 25-50 cents each to 4/$5.

Where are you? The reason for the rise in price has ended so prices should be on the downward trend

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/05/19/313020751/with-cartel-on-the-run-mexican-lime-farmers-keep-more-of-the-green

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Horn posted:

Where are you? The reason for the rise in price has ended so prices should be on the downward trend

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/05/19/313020751/with-cartel-on-the-run-mexican-lime-farmers-keep-more-of-the-green

I'm in Pittsburgh, so I would imagine prices here would lag behind, say, CA. Good to know the shortage is over though! I hadn't caught the more recent news.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Mr. Glass posted:

I'm in Pittsburgh, so I would imagine prices here would lag behind, say, CA. Good to know the shortage is over though! I hadn't caught the more recent news.

It was over in PGH, too, but seems to be re-asserting itself. (Price-gouging? Dunno.) I was happily buying Cheap Limes a couple weeks ago, but now they're back up to .80-.90 per.

FWIW, they're consistently about a dime cheaper each at Whole Foods than Giant Eagle, of all places.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

pgroce posted:

It was over in PGH, too, but seems to be re-asserting itself. (Price-gouging? Dunno.) I was happily buying Cheap Limes a couple weeks ago, but now they're back up to .80-.90 per.

FWIW, they're consistently about a dime cheaper each at Whole Foods than Giant Eagle, of all places.

Trader Joes generally has the most reliably cheap citrus. Limes are usually .29 each, but the were .39 each when I was there today. :iiam:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Haha still a loving dollar per lime up here in Canada.

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...

Mr. Glass posted:

Tom Collins. I usually do a 3:2:1 ratio of gin:freshly squeezed lemon juice:simple syrup over ice, then top off with club soda (probably about an equal amount to the gin). It's one of my favorite summer drinks, preferably with Death's Door gin.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Mr. Glass posted:

I love a Westside. Or, even better, ten of them and then knocking over an entire table of pyramided champagne coupes and falling in a pool.

2oz either lemon vodka or vodka that you infused with a bunch of lemon zest
1oz lemon juice
0.5oz simple sizzup
bigass pinch of mint leaves

add big cubes, shake, top with soda water, strain, drink, repeat.

Or just make an entire pitcher full.

bunnyofdoom posted:

In Australia, limes vary between $4/kg and $55/kg. Often in the same week. It's bizarre.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 3, 2014

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I'm having some friends over on the weekend and want to make some punch or cocktails for them. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of money to spend on alcohol this week and the only liquor I have at home is a bottle of Teeling Poitin (unaged Irish whiskey) and a bottle of maple vodka.

Luckily the Poitin is 60%ABV and tastes a bit like tequila so I was wondering if there's anything cool I could make with that to share around the party?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Punch. Make a hibiscus syrup, add lemon juice, add whiskey to taste. Water for bulk (and to bring that ABV down: 17% dilution should do). You can get fancy and make an oleosaccarum but for gods sake use fresh juice.

Get creative with a nice ice block. Get a decent size container, freeze some lemon wheels in it. Ice is free, so make it fancy.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Apparently it is Negroni Week!

http://negroniweek.com/

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
How does Herbsaint compare in flavor profile to a typical Absinthe? I feel like the Absinthe I have, Absinthe Ordinaire, is not that great, it's actually labeled a liqueur. I make a lot of New Orleans-y cocktails anyway, so I guess Herbsaint makes sense?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I picked up a bottle of Herbsaint Legendre last year and really enjoyed it; on the whole it was just smoother and sweeter than the absinthes I've tried. I can't imagine mixing an herbsaint frappe with absinthe.

I also implicitly trust herbsaint more than absinthe, because the word "herbsaint" doesn't trick anyone into buying lovely green licorice vodka for $40 a bottle.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
$6571 dollars a bottle for Lucid here. :shepicide:

bunnyofdoom posted:

Five for a buck at my local asian mart, five for two bucks at the NoFrills stores, and three for $1.89 at Metro; King of Ontario price gougers.

Only the asian mart has adjusted their prices (downward) in the last month.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 7, 2014

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Comb Your Beard posted:

How does Herbsaint compare in flavor profile to a typical Absinthe? I feel like the Absinthe I have, Absinthe Ordinaire, is not that great, it's actually labeled a liqueur. I make a lot of New Orleans-y cocktails anyway, so I guess Herbsaint makes sense?

If it's a liqueur, I don't think it's real absinthe. Granted, neither is herbsaint, but herbsaint is actually good. Sweeter, thanks partly to the fact that it is only 100 proof, so it's better for rinsing a glass rather than doing the drip, but still tastes fine straight. Not as complex and not as satisfyingly green as some other absinthes. My favorite right now is Vieux Pontarlier, a traditional style absinthe that is about 125 proof. Much more interesting color and flavor profile (more floral, more than just "licorice") and the higher proof makes it great for the drip.

Also, to the next poster, if a bottle of "absinthe" is only $40...nobody's tricking you, you're just a sucker

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
The wife and I are heading to Providence, RI for a long weekend. Does anyone have any good cocktail spots we should visit?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Any goon-recommended summer punches? For winter I've been making United Service Punch; I love Batavia arrack despite its spendiness.

A few times I've made punches based on the same 5-ingredient classic idea, like last year for this same rooftop party I think I used limes as my citrus, green tea, Guatemalan cane liquor (basically a plain white rum), raw cane sugar, and iirc allspice for the spice.

I'd like to do something else pretty similar to the classic 5-ingredient punch, and something decently summery, but want to mix it up a little. Maybe some kind of tissane (like hibiscus "tea"?), oranges, cheap brandy, cane sugar.... and I don't know what for the spice. Both allspice and nutmeg are so heavily associated with Christmas in the US, they seem incongruous at a summer party. I once used allspice in a spring punch in the past, going for a Caribbean feel, but though everyone loved it I still got a lot of "smells like Christmas cookies!" comments.

Any other permutations around the Basic 5 that I should consider? I also debated mellowing it down a little and using a vin apertif (like Dubbonet Blanc or Lillet) in place of the hard liquor, but do a heavier pour of the weaker spirit into the mix. I suppose I could just suck it up and use more than 5 ingredients, but I like the challenge of sticking to a classic format.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay, here's what I'm going with for a summer 5-ingredient punch for a roof-deck party in DC:

- Clementines (juiced, and shaved peels muddled in cane sugar to make oleo saccharum)
- Turbinado sugar
- E&J VSOP brandy (cheap but drinkable in punch)
- Hibiscus tea, with some gum arabic for smoothness
- Galangal (Thai spice, tastes somewhat like ginger)

Thus far it seems to be turning out okay, but I'm not sure 750ml of brandy in 3 litres of punch is enough, but I don't want to just dump more brandy in, so I'll semi-cheat and get a bottle of Dubbonet Rouge and add that to-taste into the mix.

For the hibiscus tea, I want sparkle but don't want to water-down the mix, so I'm thinking to brew strong hibiscus tea, then reduce it down to a thicker semi-syrup and pour it into seltzer water. That way I'll get flavor but also sparkle but not too watery.

Thoughts?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 7, 2014

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Okay, here's what I'm going with for a summer 5-ingredient punch for a roof-deck party in DC:

- Clementines (juiced, and shaved peels muddled in cane sugar to make oleo saccharum)
- Turbinado sugar
- E&J VSOP brandy (cheap but drinkable in punch)
- Hibiscus tea, with some gum arabic for smoothness
- Galangal (Thai spice, tastes somewhat like ginger)

Thus far it seems to be turning out okay, but I'm not sure 750ml of brandy in 3 litres of punch is enough, but I don't want to just dump more brandy in, so I'll semi-cheat and get a bottle of Dubbonet Rouge and add that to-taste into the mix.

For the hibiscus tea, I want sparkle but don't want to water-down the mix, so I'm thinking to brew strong hibiscus tea, then reduce it down to a thicker semi-syrup and pour it into seltzer water. That way I'll get flavor but also sparkle but not too watery.

Thoughts?
I want to drink this thing on a rooftop and I'll be in DC next weekend. Just sayin'. Oh, and maybe you should get some stinking rum like wray & newphew.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
So I bought a few cool sounding bitters from Bittermens, but now I have no idea what to do with them and the recipes on the website seem to mostly require a lot of complicated ingredients. Can I just use them in place of normal bitters (matching it with the main liquor, I guess)? Here are the ones I got

Hopped grapefruit bitters
Orchard Street celery shrub
Orange cream citrate

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

The hopped grapefruit sounds like it would go really well with tequila and the celery shrub would probably be great in a gin long drink or a gin sour. It could also work in an all booze drink if you temper it with something light and sweet like St. Germaine that won't clash with the celery. If it is anything close to the flavor profile of the Bitter Truth celery bitters it probably wouldn't go very well with bourbon or rye. The citrate is tart and creamy so maybe add a dash alongside lemon or lime juice to add an extra layer of flavor.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Klauser posted:

The wife and I are heading to Providence, RI for a long weekend. Does anyone have any good cocktail spots we should visit?
New Harvest Coffee and Spirits. The assistant manager is a good friend of mine and he and I nerd out about cocktails a lot.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars
I want to make an Old Fashioned and learn to enjoy it. My only real whisk(e)y experience is with single malt Islays. I understand that an Old Fashioned is traditionally made with rye, Bourbon or blended Scotch, none of which I've ever spent any significant time getting to know. I am happy to buy any of these (it'd likely be Rittenhouse, Wild Turkey 101 or Famous Grouse respectively) but I'd rather test the waters with one before splashing out on all three. Any suggestions on which would be the best to pick up first?

I know the correct answer is "go to a bar and order one of each" but based on my prior experience with whisky mixed drinks, I suspect that the Old Fashioned will be an acquired taste, and the best way to acquire the taste is to buy a bottle and make a whole lot of them.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I've never heard of an old fashioned made with blended scotch, but I guess it might work? I like to make them with Rittenhouse Rye, but bourbon is more traditional. Rum also works really well. Is there a bourbon you like? I would buy a bottle and make old fashioned cocktails with that bottle. If not, Rittenhouse or Turkey are both inexpensive and shouldn't disappoint. If you don't want to taste first at a bar, I'd just pick up whichever is on sale.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Why are you forcing yourself to acquire a taste for Old Fashioneds, are you an old man who decided he wasn't old-manish enough so needs to step up his game? Surely there are other old man cocktails that you already enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

PatMarshall posted:

I've never heard of an old fashioned made with blended scotch, but I guess it might work? I like to make them with Rittenhouse Rye, but bourbon is more traditional. Rum also works really well. Is there a bourbon you like? I would buy a bottle and make old fashioned cocktails with that bottle. If not, Rittenhouse or Turkey are both inexpensive and shouldn't disappoint. If you don't want to taste first at a bar, I'd just pick up whichever is on sale.

It's called a Rob Roy. It was my great aunt's drink of choice, and she drank one a day from age twenty something to the day she died at the ripe old age of 90, that classy bitch.

edit: I'm a dumb nastalgic drunk. Ignore my mistake.