Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Night Blade posted:

Farming Silverblack Sickle
Truly this is the Curse of Want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

argondamn posted:

Just go back to Dark Souls 1 already.

So you're saying it's a good thing he's virtually invincible despite playing really poorly?

Bladesofskrm
Apr 30, 2014
Hey guys, how do you beat The Rotten? I could not beat him and I'm getting annoyed. Do you know any tips or trick on how to beat this boss. What is his weakness?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Genocyber posted:

So you're saying it's a good thing he's virtually invincible despite playing really poorly?

Yes those were literally my words.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bladesofskrm posted:

Hey guys, how do you beat The Rotten? I could not beat him and I'm getting annoyed. Do you know any tips or trick on how to beat this boss. What is his weakness?

What are you dying to? It's more or less "stay out of the fire, dodge his attacks, and hit him while he recovers."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bladesofskrm posted:

Stay close but sort of in front of him, as he'll usually do the easier to avoid vertical chop more. Dodge w/e attack he does then attack a couple of times, rinse and repeat. Aside from maneuvering him away from the firepits so you don't accidentally step in them, and watching for when he does the dark AOE, it's just about recognizing his combos and dodging accordingly.

Of course, like pretty much every boss he can be cheesed with spells/miracles (like Lightning Spear).

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Also, Rotten seems to always priortize melee attackers, so if you summon Lucatiel, Lone Hunter Schmidt or a melee player, you can let them tank the fight while you plink away with spells/arrows.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

argondamn posted:

Yes those were literally my words.

I'm going to have to disagree with you then.

I do NOT think it is good.

How many of these people are you running into? I'm on xbox and mostly host/invade in Sol and have seen like 2 at the highest SM (although that video explains the sudden vogue for helix halberds I guess).

Anyway my uncles works at From and said they're not going to fix anything unless people post in this thread how angry they are.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Vanderdeath posted:

I was excited at getting my second Mytha's Bent Blade but with the ~*new meta*~, it feels almost worthless using them. :smith: I try to punish buffing but I'm getting real tired of Haveldads.

Yeah, double Mythas with double claws is what I've been doing. Mytha's been pretty nasty earlier on, but doing tiny damage to huge lifebars with each little hit, and going down in one mistake, is making it less fun to play. Guess I'll just get my stats high enough to wear some havel pieces.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

How many of these people are you running into? I'm on xbox and mostly host/invade in Sol and have seen like 2 at the highest SM (although that video explains the sudden vogue for helix halberds I guess).

On PS3 at highest tier I usually run into a couple per hour, sometimes I get nothing but them. Most common in BoB arena I find.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thwack! posted:

I got a few questions about fire weapons. What kind of stats should I focus on when using a couple of Fire Caestus, and if I already have the Flame Weapon spell, would it be pointless to infuse fire to a weapon? Thanks!

Flame weapon (and other elemental buff spells) increases the weapon's fire damage by 50 and then increases the total fire damage by 30%, so using it on a fire infused weapon can be really powerful. But like others said, infusing a caestus is a bad idea because the main advantage of the caestus is its great scaling. If you want to focus on fire damage, get a weapon that has innate fire damage, like black knight weapons, infuse it with fire, and use flame weapon.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I hope they fix Velstadt in a future patch, because the whole hitbox thing is really highlighted during the fight. The bell's box is so gigantic and if it touches you at any point - even during wind up or wind down - you take full damage.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Here's the thing: make a new character if you don't like top tier SM pvp. It keeps the lower tiers full of people, so the full experience of the game (with PVP) isn't something that you can only find at certain ranges. I really think that's what From intended with Soul Memory.

Personally I think high defenses are dumb, and I think the PVP ranges in the arenas are dumb, but From has fixed most of the things I've thought were dumb so far.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fister Roboto posted:

Flame weapon (and other elemental buff spells) increases the weapon's fire damage by 50 and then increases the total fire damage by 30%, so using it on a fire infused weapon can be really powerful.

Flame Weapon only does about half of that now since the patch.

quote:

The bell's box is so gigantic and if it touches you at any point - even during wind up or wind down - you take full damage.

Don't those boulders in Brightstone hurt you whether or not they're moving?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

argondamn posted:

Here's the thing: make a new character if you don't like top tier SM pvp. It keeps the lower tiers full of people, so the full experience of the game (with PVP) isn't something that you can only find at certain ranges. I really think that's what From intended with Soul Memory.

Because I want to abandon the character I've spent hours and hours farming absurdly rare equipment. And if Fromsoft did intent that, that's really stupid, as it means if you want to do PVP you need to continue doing the same boring PVE over and over and over.

I've never said I dislike high level PVP, it is the best imo. The issue is that you can gain way too much of a statistical advantage, something you could not do in the previous games.

quote:

Personally I think high defenses are dumb, and I think the PVP ranges in the arenas are dumb, but From has fixed most of the things I've thought were dumb so far.

Except high defense is literally the biggest issue in PVP, and it has not been addresses at all, despite Fromsoft patching Cale's Armor defense for some reason.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 9, 2014

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Cestuses are amazing and power stancing them is amazing

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

White Phosphorus posted:

If I use the ascetic in Dragon Aerie. Will it restock all those dragon bones and crystal lizards? Seems like the best way to get a bunch of upgrade materials.
Yes, this is probably your best bet for farming stuff like Dragonbones.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I wish there was something akin to DS1's SL50 Anor Londo pvp.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

RBA Starblade posted:

Don't those boulders in Brightstone hurt you whether or not they're moving?

They might, the only thing I've confirmed without a doubt is that they'll kill you if you touch them while they're moving - even a glancing touch before they fall off the cliff.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Nahxela posted:

You should watch this video if you haven't already (or at least the fight at ~13:30):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTHnNvr5U6k

I have taken up this gimmick. Bellburner Kea has claimed the worthless lives of 20+ Bell Keepers so far.

Usually the hosts are appreciative, but sometimes I have to kill them too--and one of them backstabbed me with a greataxe only to immediately die to the Bell Keeper I was saving him from. Serves him right!

Tallgeese: is there any way to add a harmless fire aura effect? I need to look the part of "literal burning hatred" without unbalancing things.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If Saulden has an unfortunate accident, where does his gravestone spawn?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Colapops posted:

Tallgeese: is there any way to add a harmless fire aura effect? I need to look the part of "literal burning hatred" without unbalancing things.

I was about to look into that myself. Most likely yes, you can remove the damage portion of the fire auras since damage reports are sent from you to the target.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

I was about to look into that myself. Most likely yes, you can remove the damage portion of the fire auras since damage reports are sent from you to the target.

Other than the Smelter Demon's fire-belly, I mean. I'm looking for "fire aura" and not "I am a walking fireball."

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Colapops posted:

Other than the Smelter Demon's fire-belly, I mean. I'm looking for "fire aura" and not "I am a walking fireball."

Well, to my knowledge there are six available fire auras that will show up online:

1) Immolation
2) Smelter Demon's Aura
3) An aura of purple fire
4) An aura of golden fire
5) An aura of black fire
6) A plume of rainbow fire (I am completely serious)

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Add me on Steam. It's not harmful hacking (if you can even call it hacking) but I don't wanna step on any toes.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Tallgeese posted:

Post pics, man.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Who's the dumb motherfucker who decided that shouldn't be in the game?!

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
All this, and I'm also hearing about like 9 different colored phantom types? Man, hacking will take Fashion Souls to the max.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

HellCopter posted:

All this, and I'm also hearing about like 9 different colored phantom types? Man, hacking will take Fashion Souls to the max.

I think most of those are broken re: appearing to other people online.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

HellCopter posted:

You can't change your phantom status and have it show to other people online as far as I have been able to determine.

Well OK, one guy claimed he could, but did not spill the beans.

Here's the "rainbow" flame, though I was mis-recalling and it is more blue-pink-orange-purple shifting (sorry, I was tired and thought I saw a shift to green):

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 9, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is it ever explained why Velstadt is jumbo-sized like Vendrick is?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

He's a boss. That's probably the only explanation there is. Big, strong souls = big, strong bodies (????).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Flame Weapon only does about half of that now since the patch.

Half of the scaling or half the flat increase? Or both???

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

aegof posted:

Pyromancy doesn't really need any stat investment besides Attunement, since it scales mostly with the level of the flame. You can totally do that caster/monk thing, it's just Flame Weapon got overnerfed recently. Personally, I like Faith as a side to fisticuffs, because Emit Force has an acceptable likeness to the kamehameha and Great Heal is nice for invasions.

I've took up on your Mircale Monk idea, and I'm really enjoying it. However, I had to reduce my STR/DEX to 30 from 40 just so I have the Attunement, and a Southern Ritual Band to equip Sacred Oath and a couple other miracles to make up the losses. I'll probably respec once again when I'm able get my hands on a SRB+2, but for now it's pretty awesome.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Thwack! posted:

I've took up on your Mircale Monk idea, and I'm really enjoying it. However, I had to reduce my STR/DEX to 30 from 40 just so I have the Attunement, and a Southern Ritual Band to equip Sacred Oath and a couple other miracles to make up the losses. I'll probably respec once again when I'm able get my hands on a SRB+2, but for now it's pretty awesome.

You can get the SRB+2 very quickly if you're willing to rush to the Bastille or Gutter to pick up a branch in order to unpetrify Rosabeth. After that it's just a simple task of running through the woods, killing Najka, and then ascetic-ing her to kill her on NG+.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Finished NG+! From Central Drangleic castle and until the end of the game (except Nashandra) I was able to summon only two other players, a shade and a phantom, thanks to the soul memory system.

quote:

Half of the scaling or half the flat increase? Or both???

On my BKGS with about 120 fire damage it did 40 damage more with it on so I'm going to say both. It's really only worth using if you have nothing else now.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 9, 2014

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Because I want to abandon the character I've spent hours and hours farming absurdly rare equipment. And if Fromsoft did intent that, that's really stupid, as it means if you want to do PVP you need to continue doing the same boring PVE over and over and over.

Stop farming rare equipment for hours and hours then? I mean sure, it would be nice if there was a way to lock in your level so you were able to stick to a character, but the whole reason soul memory was implemented was to prevent things such as1 level 1 Pyromancers invading newbies and completely owning them with no chance. There is no way to resolve those two goals in my opinion without doing something that really breaks the world (Some sort of isolated PvP pen with a soul memory cap?).

Besides, if everyone is basically playing at the same soul memory level, how is someone doing well despite "playing poorly"? Are you not all at a point where you too have access to the same equipment and stats?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Coolwhoami posted:

Stop farming rare equipment for hours and hours then? I mean sure, it would be nice if there was a way to lock in your level so you were able to stick to a character, but the whole reason soul memory was implemented was to prevent things such as1 level 1 Pyromancers invading newbies and completely owning them with no chance.

After a while it also prevents you from playing with anyone too though. I didn't grind or anything, just did some pvp then some pve. 6 million and up shouldn't be too high for NG+ (I finished at 7.7 mil).

e: Both Throne Watcher and Defender armors are cool, and go great with faraam, king's, ruin, and steel sets. I keep mixing it up! I'm ready for NG+ DLC now.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 9, 2014

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

That guy was so laggy that he killed me in the middle of me backstabbing him. Like, actually backstabbing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

What a dumb question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFDBnSzn3bo