Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Krakkles posted:

So I can drive my California registered car, or, say, a rental from Pennsylvania, in DC with a radar detector?

Not at all true, they can still cite for it.

Edit: Here's a newspaper column with advice from a retired CHP officer. TL;DR is it's enforceable, but in his estimation (and mine), most LEOs wouldn't enforce it.

http://www.redding.com/news/2011/dec/31/monty-hight-tinted-windows-legal-elsewhere-may/

Radar detector isn't part of your car. I was mostly talking about the license plate thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Radar detector isn't part of your car. I was mostly talking about the license plate thing.
Oh, I didn't notice the goalposts moving. Carry on, then.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
As long as the person from Arizona has his vehicle registered in AZ and he lives in AZ and his vehicle is complying with AZ law, California LE may not enforce CA window tint laws on an AZ resident driving an AZ vehicle complying with AZ law.

The reason for this is the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the US Constitution wherein US States must respect the laws of Other States. Without the Full Faith and Credit Claus, States could act independently, with complete autonomy, and with no obligation to recognize the rulings in other states, thus US Citizens would not be able to determine their rights and obligations when they crossed state lines.

In short, CA may not enforce CA window tint laws on out-of-State vehicles anymore than CA can enforce CA emissions laws on out-of-State vehicles per the US Constitution.

All the AZ driver in this case has to do is provide s copy of the AZ tint law; proof of compliance of the AZ tint law and some official documentation from AZ and the CA Judge must dismiss the matter because that is the law.

You are 100% correct - I lived in AZ for 18 years, and then after living in CA for 15 years returned to AZ for a 1-year stay in the early 1980's. My vehicle was registered in AZ and I, too, had AZ compliant dark tinted windows front and rear. When travelling back to Redding on I-5, I was stopped for not having a mirror on the right (passenger) side of my BRAND NEW Oldsmobile station wagon (purchased and licensed in AZ).

The CHP officer from the "wolf pack", the group running the old speed traps in the Williams to Corning corridor, gave me a mechanical or "fix-it" ticket and told me we needed to get another mirror and remove front window tint - IF we were going to stay in CA. I went to court and the ticket was dropped because of the AZ law allowing both tint and only a rear-view and driver's side mirror - but primarily because the vehicle was not registered in CA. Poor judgement or a potential "revenue getter" by the CHP officer - perhaps - or maybe he was just checking out the vehicle from AZ with tinted windows, since there was no moving violation involved.

I can tell you this, that as soon as we moved back and re-registered the vehicle in CA, the dark tint was immediately changed to CA compliant, and I got another side mirror.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The fun part about that is that an officer can still ticket you for it (even in bad faith, knowing it should be thrown out) and then you have to either haul your rear end back to where you got ticketed or hire a lawyer to represent you in court if you want to challenge it.

So they still do it because they can get away with it and you probably aren't going to deal with the hassle.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

The fun part about that is that an officer can still ticket you for it (even in bad faith, knowing it should be thrown out) and then you have to either haul your rear end back to where you got ticketed or hire a lawyer to represent you in court if you want to challenge it.

So they still do it because they can get away with it and you probably aren't going to deal with the hassle.

It's what lead to the pissing match in California/Nevada a couple years back over trailers. California started writing overweight tickets for people hauling RV trailers from out of state, and Nevada started writing that all Commercial trucks needed special licensing and permits to haul trailers in the state. Since all trucks (even half tons) are commercial trucks in California...

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013
Just had a question to see if I was in the wrong. I recently got wrote up for being "late". My dispatch said to deliver my load between 0700-1500. My route takes me by the house so I figured I'd go to the house. Well I delivered my load on time and go my next load delivered on time, and then had to go turn in my truck since I had military duty. Well when I got to the yard my fleet manager had a write up waiting on me. Said I was late delivering my load since I went home. Guess it doesn't too much matter since I looked and found a local tanker job. Just curious to see what other veteran truckers thought about it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
That's a mix of "You should never use the tractor for personal use" and dispatch getting to flex their rear end in a top hat muscle. Enjoy the tanker job, take it easy in the corners and KEEP YOUR FOOT DOWN ON THE BRAKE HARD when coming to a stop as the fluid rocks back and forth.

Are you gonna drive a Mack? :getin:

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

digitalcamo posted:

My dispatch said to deliver my load between 0700-1500.

How close to 1500 are we talking? If it was just after lunch then they are being jerks but if its was 1450 then it was a little cheeky on your part, but they are also being jerks.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

That's a mix of "You should never use the tractor for personal use" and dispatch getting to flex their rear end in a top hat muscle.

Being an arsehole to just make drivers lives as uncomfortable as possible (like being a prick about some small tiny detour so they can stop by home) rubs me the wrong way, if you asked the people who get upset about it to work 16 hours days and sleep under their desk for 2 weeks straight and never go home they'd whine their loving heads off, but god forbid the driver who takes a 10 minute detour to spend a couple hours at home in the week or two they're away from it.

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013
I unloaded at 10am, so I was still 5 hours early. I figured it has a lot to do with them being a big corporation but I don't really know. And yes I'll be driving a 2014 Mack. Sounds like a gravy job. I'll be the only driver, they said I can go to work as early as I want if I want to get off early in the day, biggest perk though is getting home every night. Only catch is I'll sometimes have haul grey water but where I live I really need tanker experience if I want to ever haul fuel or oil.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Oh man, I see water haulers on the nastiest dirt roads all the time and never considered the properties of fluid for trucking. Fuuuuck that job, just lol no way.

Interceptor, a couple of years ago, you mentioned an incident where you 'got air'. Can you talk about that now, or it still cannot confirm or deny

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've always thought tankers would have plenty of internal baffles to stop the liquid from rolling.

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013
Yeah they said the tanks have baffles, think the only smooth bored tanks are food grade haulers. Yea I'll probably be on some bad roads, going from water well sites to oil well sites. Ready to get this military crap out of the way so I can start. Little nerve racking putting in 2 weeks notice and being gone don't want them to change their mind but I know I'm worrying for nothing. Just don't want to get home and be jobless but they are the ones that told me to turn in my 2 weeks. And also wanted to talk to any o/o to see what they had to say about it. Is there much work for a solo day cab truck? This idea however, will be years from now.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Street Horrrsing posted:

Oh man, I see water haulers on the nastiest dirt roads all the time and never considered the properties of fluid for trucking. Fuuuuck that job, just lol no way.

Interceptor, a couple of years ago, you mentioned an incident where you 'got air'. Can you talk about that now, or it still cannot confirm or deny

http://youtu.be/vA16ivK6iDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g30JShBiV00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U5i4-HQUY8

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013

CannonFodder posted:

That's a mix of "You should never use the tractor for personal use" and dispatch getting to flex their rear end in a top hat muscle. Enjoy the tanker job, take it easy in the corners and KEEP YOUR FOOT DOWN ON THE BRAKE HARD when coming to a stop as the fluid rocks back and forth.

Are you gonna drive a Mack? :getin:

Meant to ask you how a Mack handles. I only have experience with a prostar+ with maxxforce engine. Going up a slight incline makes have to downshift.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

digitalcamo posted:

I unloaded at 10am, so I was still 5 hours early. I figured it has a lot to do with them being a big corporation but I don't really know. And yes I'll be driving a 2014 Mack. Sounds like a gravy job. I'll be the only driver, they said I can go to work as early as I want if I want to get off early in the day, biggest perk though is getting home every night. Only catch is I'll sometimes have haul grey water but where I live I really need tanker experience if I want to ever haul fuel or oil.

I'd tell them to pound sand, but you've already left. Years ago I watched a kid get a great tank surge going and blew off the hatch right by that cab and gave himself a free truckwash, no idea what he was hauling but it was all old as gently caress equipment.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tankers that are used to haul different things don't have baffles. For example chemical haulers that use the same tanker for sodium hypo and then sulphuric. Between loads they need to be washed inside so they use a sprinkler head type ball on the end of a hose that spins and steam cleans the inside. Baffles would prevent the cleaning heads from getting all the areas.

The worst surges come from driving a 53' baffle-less tanker trailer that isn't full, down about 4' from the top. You learn to shift different. Normally you can grab the first 4 gears, then wait for the fluid to hit, then go to high range for 5th.

If you just try to row gears like a static load, the surge will cause you to lose a gear.

When you stop, you will get a minor hit, and then you will get a good hit that feels like you were rear ended by a car. Its usually not bad. There were a few over the years that gave me some temporary neck pain.

If you're going up hills and not full, the liquid goes to the back and unloads the weight from your drive axles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

They even have the signs up in Wyoming when its too windy for unloaded trailers.

They still ignore them, and still tip over by the dozens.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

They even have the signs up in Wyoming when its too windy for unloaded trailers.

They still ignore them, and still tip over by the dozens.

Yeah, here instead of putting up wind alerts on our signs, they inform us to watch out for motorcycles and click it or ticket. They are getting a little bit better at putting up weather alerts on the signs though, there are a couple of places you have to worry about vortexes though, it's always fun to go from 15 degrees dialed in right to hard left as the wind switches.

igv9
Sep 3, 2006
Everything witty I could put here has already been said.
I was helper on a Vac-con for a few years. As they are essentially large wet vacs for sewers they don't have any internal baffles, and can't get more than 3/4 full because of the internal vacuum equipment in the tank.

Most times we could just drain the liquid back into the sewer we were cleaning and only carry out the "mud". Some jobs worked out to where we had to dump the whole load at an approved facility though.

While I never noticed front back motion being a real issue in the automatics, side to side motion going down the interstate gave me the heeby jeebies.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

digitalcamo posted:

Meant to ask you how a Mack handles. I only have experience with a prostar+ with maxxforce engine. Going up a slight incline makes have to downshift.
My dad drove a Mack when he was hauling corn syrup, Macks are just the stereotypical trucks for tankers in the US. He loved it, drove a 2009 before he left that job.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yeah, here instead of putting up wind alerts on our signs, they inform us to watch out for motorcycles and click it or ticket. They are getting a little bit better at putting up weather alerts on the signs though, there are a couple of places you have to worry about vortexes though, it's always fun to go from 15 degrees dialed in right to hard left as the wind switches.

Wyoming at least actually changes the signs on windy days, for all the good it does.

I can remember driving to Ft. Collins or Denver and the road being littered with tipped trailers.

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013
Yeah Mack's are the only trucks I see hauling tankers where I'm at especially saltwater. Any reason as they always choose Mack. I hear it's cause Mack's are hard to break but I don't know. Guess I'm gonna have to be double cautious now that I'll be hauling tankers.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
I think you'll find it's simpler than that and Mack just having better deals on daycab's or something.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Rudager posted:

I think you'll find it's simpler than that and Mack just having better deals on daycab's or something.

I like the KW daycabs, they have a little more space.

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013
Yea I like KWs too but my dream is to own a peterbilt but they come with a sizeable price tag.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Have kind of an odd question for y'all. I'm looking for the name of a tool. It's a 3-4 foot long aluminum or steel rod with a shortish t-handle at one end, and a hook on the other. I've used them for years, but can't think of any other name except for bread-tray hooks or milkman's hooks. Someone said they sell them at Flying J's, so I figured one of you'd know what they're called.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pin puller, or fifth wheel pin puller.

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013
Any o/o wanna talk me out of buying a truck one day? Something I want to do one day but have heard nothing but horror stories about it. Just curious.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Powershift posted:

Pin puller, or fifth wheel pin puller.

Thank you very much. loving useful things, now I'll have one of my own.

honkykong
Sep 20, 2005

So I got to unload one of these trailers full of skids of top soil yesterday. Never seen or heard of these before now, really cool idea.
http://youtu.be/Qrm1jv8PMJA

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

digitalcamo posted:

Yeah Mack's are the only trucks I see hauling tankers where I'm at especially saltwater. Any reason as they always choose Mack. I hear it's cause Mack's are hard to break but I don't know. Guess I'm gonna have to be double cautious now that I'll be hauling tankers.

I know that Mack does a lot of R&D for bulk and live haul applications, tuning torque curves and other parameters for smoother acceleration.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Does anyone have any sweet lifehacks for cleaning truck cabs? I don't know if it's universal, but whoever decided to put grooved flooring on kenworths deserves to get stabbed.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
First and foremost, if you're not attempting to grow so corpulent they'll have to take out a wall to remove you once you expire from the heat while obeying the CA idle laws, you're doing it wrong. Your company will have to hose out the accumulated feces, fast food bags, and scale tickets at that point anyway; do you REALLY want to do their work for them?

That being said, if you do your best to keep anything you care about off the floor, you can just sweep everything else out at a rest area or wherever there's a dumpster, or if you really want, leave it in a trailer for somebody else!

However, this assumes you want to stop. And who has time? Just whip the trash out the window whenever possible instead of letting it accumulate. If you're VERY careful you can even poo poo in the mcdonald's bags while in motion and eliminate rest stops entirely!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Air compressor does a lot for tractors, not sure what that would do to your bed though.

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013
I am early in my career but I do like to plan for the future. I am hoping to own my own daycab and haul locally. I have been told to stay away from owning my own truck, any of y'all have any comments on o/o and what would be good to haul? Or is it almost impossible to make it on your own these days?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
iirc you MAY net more as an O/O than an employee but it's also way more spergin' and if something expensive explodes you may be completely hosed. I wouldn't do it myself.

digitalcamo
Jul 11, 2013

Javid posted:

iirc you MAY net more as an O/O than an employee but it's also way more spergin' and if something expensive explodes you may be completely hosed. I wouldn't do it myself.

Yeah I'm thinking it may be a bad I only get bad responses.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Street Horrrsing posted:

Does anyone have any sweet lifehacks for cleaning truck cabs? I don't know if it's universal, but whoever decided to put grooved flooring on kenworths deserves to get stabbed.

I put the curtain down so I don't get the sleeper bunk wet, and toss everything back there. Then I get out the pressure washer wand and just spray the gently caress out of the floor with the doors open. This will clean the floor pretty drat well.

Afterwards go in with cotton cloths and dry off the seats. Then work on the dash. Basically there will be bits of sand and floor mud on everything, just wipe it down.

Lastly, do the windows with windex or whatever. Then park the truck, crack the windows and vents, set it to high idle with the floor and window defrost running on high and go home.

I don't pay for fuel and my company's policy for problem solving is just to throw money at it until it stops being a problem so YMMV.

When you come back it will be dry and clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

jonathan posted:

I don't pay for fuel and my company's policy for problem solving is just to throw money at it until it stops being a problem so YMMV.

poo poo is a lot easier when your company is like this:

Because when these fuckers stop, it costs money cubed.

• Locked thread