Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Should not be. Did he do it in one step or did he have multiple events? I thought this only happened when you had multiple regents each taking you down one level.

I've had it happen before too. The regent event that lets them do it for free can only happen once per regent, but that same regent can then still join someone else's "lower authority" faction and cause it to automatically succeed. That's two CA drops, and I don't think the automatic faction success thing is limited to once per regency. Though if you have a regency lasting that long, there'll often be a regent change anyway, opening both up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrSunshine posted:

I think I'll get back to it when the latest beta becomes the latest patch. And yes, that was me with the trans-dimensional Aztecs. I also had Enatic Matriarchal steppe Amazons, Not-China, and Inuit tribes.:sweatdrop: The last thing I was working on, though, was getting the horde invasion to work. I think I ended up abandoning the horde invasion idea and implemented a kind of "plague" that either kills you or converts you to the same culture and religion as other infected. Members of the "Infected" culture gain a CB that allows them to holy-war for territory and some event troop spawns.

That sounds cool, but a bitch to implement.

I've always wanted to do more modding for CK2, but the most I can do is whip up some events (mostly by aping pdox-made events) and create special retinues/troops.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

As Poland, I was helping my ally the King of Norway beat down on the HRE in a holy war for ... Brunswick?? The HRE being mostly Lollard by now, including the rulers for a solid 100 years.

Norway comes in with 15k soldiers and I have about the same. The HRE had two stacks of about 14k each, but they split them up to attack each of us instead of combining into one giant army. I slaughtered my stack with 17+ martial commanders and I guess the Norwegians did the same, so they had the whole HRE at their mercy.

... then I see the war ends inconclusively because the idiot Norwegian king converted to a Lollard, despite not owning a single Lollard county. :negative: why. Should I even bother doing this myself and declare a holy war for Bohemia or something? The HRE is still a bit distracted with a war against Templar Italy (which they lost in a Catholic crusade :lol:) for Provence, but they seem likely to win that soon. Otherwise I can just continue eating up Lithuania, I guess.

Do you need the Old Gods to form the Wendish Empire?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm confused about what is going on here. I am a Duke under the Queen of France. I have a daughter (oldest) and a son with the Queen of Brittany. I want to play as my son next and be the King of Brittany. Instead it looks like my son will inherit Brittany but the daughter will inherit my duchy in France and I will have to play as her. What is the deal here, why is my daughter inheriting anything when I already have a son? The succession laws in my duchy are agnatic-cognatic primogeniture so I thought my son should get all of my titles.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm confused about what is going on here. I am a Duke under the Queen of France. I have a daughter (oldest) and a son with the Queen of Brittany. I want to play as my son next and be the King of Brittany. Instead it looks like my son will inherit Brittany but the daughter will inherit my duchy in France and I will have to play as her. What is the deal here, why is my daughter inheriting anything when I already have a son? The succession laws in my duchy are agnatic-cognatic primogeniture so I thought my son should get all of my titles.

Is your son a non-legitimized bastard?

Edit: Wait, that makes no sense, then your son wouldn't inherit Brittany. The poster below me is most likely right.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 8, 2014

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Does France have High Crown Authority? That will usually block French titles from being inherited outside the realm, and since your son is the heir to Brittany he might be blocked from inheriting your French duchy since it would mean those lands would leave the French crown (depending on who dies first and whether the Queen of Brittany is a Petty Queen (duke tier ingame) or a regular queen (king tier ingame) - long story short this poo poo is complicated but I think the list of heirs shown for each title takes this sort of thing into account.)

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Dallan Invictus posted:

Does France have High Crown Authority? That will usually block French titles from being inherited outside the realm, and since your son is the heir to Brittany he might be blocked from inheriting your French duchy since it would mean those lands would leave the French crown (depending on who dies first and whether the Queen of Brittany is a Petty Queen (duke tier ingame) or a regular queen (king tier ingame).)

That's it. God damnit it this sucks, France now has absolute crown authority. So I would need to lower crown authority to medium before my current character dies in order to get Brittany and my dukedom?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

That's it. God damnit it this sucks, France now has absolute crown authority. So I would need to lower crown authority to medium before my current character dies in order to get Brittany and my dukedom?

Correct. Somehow going independent might also work, I'm not quite sure how High CA functions with independent rulers that are in the de jure territory of that kingdom.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I really wish they'd hurry and add the ability to influence your religious head to call Crusades. In my Zoro game, which I have successfully wiped out every Muslim state except for Mali (And then granted them independence because playing a mega realm gets boring) I noticed something horrifying. The HRE ate the Byzantine empire. By the time I noticed they had already unified, and despite alot of gold in assassinations when the Byzantines broke free, they only got a handful of counties instead of their old dejure Empire. I want to harm the HRE as I would be tempted to take this game into EU4, but I only have 80 or so years before the game ends, and I don't think 8 Holy Wars would harm the HRE. Also at some point they destroyed the Byzantine title.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 8, 2014

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Anyone know when the next non-beta patch is expected to drop?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
About a week after they fix the ironman save issue

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eimi posted:

I really wish they'd hurry and add the ability to influence your religious head to call Crusades.

It's not even that it's not there, it's that it's there for Christians only (or the player can become Caliph/Fylkir and call crusades themselves, but that doesn't do anything for other pagans and Zoroastrians). At least that means it wouldn't be hugely troublesome for Paradox to add.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Can Holy Orders join in any war against a heretic/infidel or does it need to be a religious war? I'm playing as the Nestorian Republic of Socotra and I really want to punch in some Rassid teeth without antagonizing the Sunni Caliphate.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I have the pope, the ecumenical patriarch, and the shia caliph as my vassals. I am the sunni caliph and I noticed I can give the sunni caliphate to these fine gentlemen! I wonder how that would go.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Tsyni posted:

I have the pope, the ecumenical patriarch, and the shia caliph as my vassals. I am the sunni caliph and I noticed I can give the sunni caliphate to these fine gentlemen! I wonder how that would go.

Give it to the Pope. Unify Catholicism and Sunni Islam.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

Roman Islam. Post it on the Paradox forums, watch forumgoers' heads explode as they try to reconcile their Romanophilia with Islamophobia.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

Roman Islam. Post it on the Paradox forums, watch forumgoers' heads explode as they try to reconcile their Romanophilia with Islamophobia.

:rolleyes:

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Now help the Pagans, Zoroastrians, Miaphysites and Jews get their religious heads and collect them all! :v:

(I have a save where the Tengri High Priest is my vassal as the Ibadi Caliph. He won't come to the feast after Ramadan for some reason.)

E: vvvv Oh okay dude, you have that covered.

Darth Various fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 9, 2014

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm playing the Mongols and I already mended the schism before converting to Islam and spreading the light of Allah from Europe to India. Not to mention becoming the saoshyant and restoring the roman empire.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Is it WAD that foreign kids in my dungeon can still be considered out of diplomatic range if I want to place them in guardianship in my court? I think it's much more interesting when you're allowed to raise hostages to be your culture and religion.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tsyni posted:

The game would probably crash, or bog to a halt. If you try and console change the religion of the Caliph, it always resets back to whatever it should be. I'm guessing if you gave that title to another religious head the game would poo poo itself with trying to flip between the two religions.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

SeaTard posted:

The game would probably crash, or bog to a halt. If you try and console change the religion of the Caliph, it always resets back to whatever it should be. I'm guessing if you gave that title to another religious head the game would poo poo itself with trying to flip between the two religions.

Yeah, I was kind of worried it would cause a poo poo storm. I'm playing iron man, so maybe I'll try at the end of the game.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Playing old gods. How do I raid people? Like what do I click on.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Assuming you're a religion that allows it: When you select a troop you'll see a small torch near the top of the merge/unit/comp/etc info pane. Click it. Happy pillaging. :hist101:

Having boats in the waters next to the province will store the gold, which will be given to you when it docks home.

E:

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Keep in mind you have to be in your own territory to turn looting on.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

OK. I'm Norse. Also Why did I start with soldiers and boats already deployed? It doesn't look like they are part of my levies.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Some of the Norse rulers start at war. Those are most likely the free event troops you get to help achieve your glorious conquest against the silly christians. Make sure to Blot them all.

You won't get event troops back after disbanding them, and can't declare war with them raised.

E: Not really sure how well versed you are at the game, so don't mind me if you already know most of it :shobon:

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 9, 2014

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

Rynoto posted:

Some of the Norse rulers start at war. Those are most likely the free event troops you get to help achieve your glorious conquest against the silly christians. Make sure to Blot them all.

You won't get event troops back after disbanding them, and can't declare war with them raised.

E: Not really sure how well versed you are at the game, so don't mind me if you already know most of it :shobon:

You can absolutely declare war with event troops up and about. The only troops you can't declare war once raised are levies, both vassal and personal.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

Rynoto posted:

You can declare war with event troops raised, what are you saying? If you're referring to Jorvik, that's because they have their regular levies raised at the start, I believe.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Rynoto posted:

No worries, I'm fairly new to CK2. I've played one game (without any DLC's) where I went from Earl of Dublin to Kaiser.

Looks like as a pagan I'm allowed to declare "conquest" wars with those guys already deployed.

Edit: I picked King Dyre of Konugardr.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

Both a very easy, and yet also very tricky start. You're surrounded by non-religion neighbors which means you can easily expand in any direction. But you're surrounded by non-religion neighbors which means they'll have an eye on your land. And you're nowhere near the Norse holy sites, so reforming the religion is out of your hands unless you decide to go back to Scandinavia.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I've owned EUIV since it came out, but haven't played it since then because I'm determined to get a CKII game to 1444 first. So far I've managed to replace almost all of the established Catholic kingdoms in Europe with Norse ones by giving them to my second and third sons and granting them independance. I also just gave Jerusalem to the Jomsvikings along with most of Crimea. It's still only 1096. :shepface:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

SeaTard posted:

Both a very easy, and yet also very tricky start. You're surrounded by non-religion neighbors which means you can easily expand in any direction. But you're surrounded by non-religion neighbors which means they'll have an eye on your land. And you're nowhere near the Norse holy sites, so reforming the religion is out of your hands unless you decide to go back to Scandinavia.

I mainly picked him for the genius trait, but it looks like a fun place to start.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Playing as the Saffarids, picked up most of the land east of the Abbasids' western border, but now it's just the two of us. The Caliph is mopping up a war for Azerbaijan, several months to the north where I'd be fighting. Our truce is about to come up; if I call up all of my troops and all of my vassals', plus hiring all four available merc bands, I'd outnumber his forces, roughly 21k to 19k (though I'd be lucky if I could pay for those troops for two years). If I declared a holy war for Birjand (I converted to Zoroastrianism), I might be able to take one of his most lucrative and populous duchies, and not be at quite as much of a disadvantage in ten years. His decadence is at 9% and rising at just over 1% per month, and he has a couple unhappy dukes; I could wait for a revolt, either decadence or faction (there's one duke at -50 who's part of a faction), and try to bite off a chunk without facing his whole army. But that also risks having to fight another defensive holy war, and that's far from an appealing scenario. Could also try to swear fealty once his war is over, if he doesn't see the risk in having a vassal of a different religion who could take any of his dukes easily, and I read somewhere that kings can only swear fealty to their de jure liege, and I'm not in the Arabian Empire at all.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Is having the Shia caliph like you enough to stop him from calling jihads? I plunked my chancellor on his capital while I mopped up a bunch of wars/started expanding with Imperial Subjugation, and now the caliph has a 90 opinion of me. He hasn't called one since his war for Anatolia, even though I've since holy warred him for both Damascus and whatever duchy contains Baghdad. Will this also make him more hesitant to join against me in holy wars? If I could mop up egypt without him getting involved it would be nice.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Parallax Scroll posted:

No worries, I'm fairly new to CK2. I've played one game (without any DLC's) where I went from Earl of Dublin to Kaiser.

Looks like as a pagan I'm allowed to declare "conquest" wars with those guys already deployed.

I'm playing Dire (well his son) right now and I suggest that once the Magyars move into Hungary, make it a priority to reach the Black Sea. Once you have that port, you can send your troops anywhere in the (very rich) Mediterranean to loot. The event troops don't reinforce so use them wisely. Once you get large enough to have a decent size retinue, you can use that to loot. Keep an eye out for rebels who you might be able to swoop in on and loot.
Money from looting is essential to upgrade Kiev (konugardr). Once you have a ruler with some decades left in him and a decent power base, you can choose the Become King of Ruthenia ambition for very powerful subjugation CBs on everybody in the de jure Kingdom. Once you get that Kingdom title then you should be able to manage the gavelkind well enough without having all your brothers become Petty Kings. Also I recommend keeping good ties with Hungary. And utilize river transport as much as possible.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I turned on the loot flag on my army and then sent them into a neighboring county, but I can't tell if I'm looting.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Parallax Scroll posted:

I turned on the loot flag on my army and then sent them into a neighboring county, but I can't tell if I'm looting.

You also need a ship stationed adjacent to the county you're looting. The number of ships dictates how much loot you can hold. Return it to one of your ports to unload the gold. You'll see the looting icon light up on the ship when you are looting, and it will de-activate when you're not looting the province anymore (you can also look at the province page to see your looting progress)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Yo, ships can go up rivers.

I put the ship next to my guys. Am I looting now?

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Parallax Scroll posted:

Yo, ships can go up rivers.

I put the ship next to my guys. Am I looting now?

You should see the raiding icon (the one that you toggled on) on the ship or the army (can't remember off hand).

• Locked thread