Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Maximusi posted:

Will there even be a Rune Factory 5?

Marvelous always owned the IP, so a Rune Factory 5 game is pretty much a given down the road. Right now they are tapping that hot anime ghost maid waifu market with Forbidden Magna, perhaps a new Rune Factory will come after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And since they hopefully won't explode again afterwards, maybe we Europeans can get it too! :toot:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
RF4 Forging: Does upgrading a weapon actually do anything? I don't mean going from Lance to Lance+, I mean Level 1 Lance to Level 2 Lance.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

RF4 Forging: Does upgrading a weapon actually do anything? I don't mean going from Lance to Lance+, I mean Level 1 Lance to Level 2 Lance.

The weapon inherits the upgrade stats of whatever material you used to upgrade it. Also, if you reach different thresholds of rarity and item levels you get bonuses to attack and other things. I think the max is about 2000 extra attack added on?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh definitely. The basic idea for upgrading is that whatever material you add to the equipment will give the bonus it states. For example Bronze will add +4 DEF. However to prevent you from just stacking materials each duplicate will halve the bonus it gives. For our example two Bronze would only provide +6 DEF in total, while three would give +7.

For advanced crafting, once you hit crafting level of 50 the material's rarity and level gets added to the equipment's totals, which will add bonuses to weapon attack and armour defense. From this guide, the quick reference on material level totals is:
code:
Tiers and Bonuses for Quick Reference (non-cumulative):
Tier 1 | 30LVs | ATK+10, M.ATK+5 | DEF+6, M.DEF +5
Tier 2 | 60LVs | ATK+25, M.ATK+10 | DEF+15, M.DEF +12
Tier 3 | 90LVs | ATK+70, M.ATK+40 | DEF+36, M.DEF +28
Tier 4 | 120LVs | ATK+200, M.ATK+180 | DEF+180, M.DEF +170
Tier 5 | 150LVs | ATK+700, M.ATK+650 | DEF+350, M.DEF +350
And rarity operates similarly, except that the cap is 200 and the tiers are every 25 points. No idea what the bonus you gain per tier. Consult this FAQ for finding out each material's rarity.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I've seen it said that in Rune Factory 4 if you upgrade a fishing rod with a fish, it'll make the rod more likely to catch that kind of fish. If that is a thing that actually works, can I upgrade a rod with a Rare Can to make it more likely I'll catch Rare Cans? Then if that works, can I use a 10-fold Steel to increase my chances even more?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Well Rare Can supposedly increases the item drop rate, which doesn't affect fishing, only fighting with the rod. And from a quick look around no one has confirmed if what the NPC says is true.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

Well Rare Can supposedly increases the item drop rate, which doesn't affect fishing, only fighting with the rod. And from a quick look around no one has confirmed if what the NPC says is true.

I put ten Squid on a rod for Squid Festival and it didn't seem to appreciably increase my Squid haul.

Re: Upgrading, is it duplicating specific items that gives you diminishing returns or is it multiple items in the same category (metals, furs, etc.)? I've been operating under the latter and probably could've been doing way better upgrading if it's not that one.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Patware posted:

I put ten Squid on a rod for Squid Festival and it didn't seem to appreciably increase my Squid haul.

Re: Upgrading, is it duplicating specific items that gives you diminishing returns or is it multiple items in the same category (metals, furs, etc.)? I've been operating under the latter and probably could've been doing way better upgrading if it's not that one.

It's the former. You can see the stat bonuses an item would give before forging, after all.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm trying to figure out if there's any rhyme or reason to the level of items dropped by monsters/bosses/mining...looking at the levels of stuff I've got a lot of in my stash I think I might be able to fit a curve to it but I'm unsure how adequate a sample size I've got.

I can't wait to get a Fenrir made with all Lv10 components. I'm not sure what to put in slot 6, though...if I use an item as an extra ingredient, will upgrading with that same item be subject to diminishing returns? Incidentally, Fenrir meshes really well with the dude PC's wedding outfit.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Patware posted:

The NPC states that reinforcing your rod with fish makes it easier to catch those specifically, not that it makes them easier to find in ponds. Not that having more time to catch them is really useful after you've got the best rod.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh, speaking of the squid catch festival, there's a room with a pond in Idra Cave that's contains almost exclusively squid.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If I made, like... a Broadsword with a level 10 iron vs a level 1 iron, would that have any effect? I think ingredient levels affect the quality of recipes, but I'm not sure how it works with Forging.

Also, does anyone have a good farming/soil upgrading guide? I don't really understand the mechanics of leveling up my field and using corn and withered hay and all that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Does anyone have advice for how best to keep animals fed? Right now I'm buying fodder from Raven and then tediously adding it to the feed bin a stack at a time. It works, but it takes forever. I'm up to 3 stacks of fodder a day so this takes an appreciable amount of time. If I assign an animal to tend a field of grass/fodder will they send it to the feed bin automatically?

Non-food animal production confuses me. I just tamed 2 beetles for their rigid horn production. I tamed them on the same day, and for a (what felt like) a couple of days they both produced a rigid horn every day. Today only one of them produced a horn. Majorly annoying since I'm using those horns to buff up my monster champions for the festival. I've had similar problems with my wolf sometimes not producing his fang.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Also, does anyone have a good farming/soil upgrading guide? I don't really understand the mechanics of leveling up my field and using corn and withered hay and all that.

My approach is pretty rough and ready, and there are some much better farmers here on these boards, but this'll get you started.

Every time you harvest a crop, it improves the soil's characteristics. Some crops are better than others for this, but it's not really worth it to focus on improving the soil. It takes forever and growing the crops you want increases it anyways. Some (most?) crops also reduce the health of the field when harvested. Plowing corn or withered grass into any square in the 2x2 block will increase the health statistic. It is very easy (and expensive) to keep the health at maximum (255) by always using one of the squares to grow corn. If you get a magnifying glass you can use that to look at the stats for the entire 2x2 square of soil. Pro tip: upgrade your scythe and hoe with a magnifying glass - it makes it so much easier. Recently, I've started only plowing corn into the soil if the health goes under 150. This is working well so far, and even with full health I always lost most of my field to typhoons anyways.

You also want to keep plenty of fertilizer in your fertilizer bin, because it helps heal fields too, but not in any way you can control or depend on.

The #1 fastest way to level a crop is to pick a 2x2 plot and dump one greenifier on it every day. Doing one chemical a day does not impact the impact the health of the 2x2 plot and after doing this for a season I'm getting level increases from 3-5 at a time. You probably won't be able to afford to do this to more than one square for a long time.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

LLSix posted:

Does anyone have advice for how best to keep animals fed? Right now I'm buying fodder from Raven and then tediously adding it to the feed bin a stack at a time. It works, but it takes forever. I'm up to 3 stacks of fodder a day so this takes an appreciable amount of time. If I assign an animal to tend a field of grass/fodder will they send it to the feed bin automatically?

Have you considered leaving a fodder bin in the Mamadoodle den? I like it since it's easy to harvest there's more fodder there per day than my consumption rate, but then I don't have too many monsters around.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/multiverse-studio-announces-2014-harvest-moon-deluxe-plush-lineup/

A glimps at some of the Lost Valley animal designs, via the new plushies.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If I made, like... a Broadsword with a level 10 iron vs a level 1 iron, would that have any effect? I think ingredient levels affect the quality of recipes, but I'm not sure how it works with Forging.

Only that it would provide 10 levels to the item's total rather than just 1 for the purposes of +50 Weapon/Equipment crafting.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I'm not well-versed in the hidden secret item values and all that when it comes to forging Perfect gear, but my basic understanding was that adding a material more than once would only add the first material's stats to the weapon stats, with each consecutive addition only increasing the weapon's level. The exception is staffs, where adding materials with "special" charge spells (such as boss items) will overwrite the previous charge spells of the same charge level, along with some other weird things. Staffs also can't be charged to the 3rd charge level until they reach item level 3.

With staffs, it's generally a good idea to add a Feather as the final upgrade item, since it will drastically boost charging speed (at the cost of losing your 3rd charge ability since it gets replaced by a useless wind gust attack). There's a lot of other stuff like this you can do other than pining for perfect stats if you want to. Save before trying stuff and then experiment.

Once you reach ~40 in forging, you'll be able to use Double-steel, which doubles the stats of the previous thing you added to your item. It works on stat upgrades as well as non-visible upgrades such as the extra weapon reach you get from Glitta Augite and, presumably, the drop-rate boost from Rare Cans. There's also 10-fold steel, which you can forge into stuff starting at 85, which increases the effect of the previous material by a factor of 8 (unless it's double-steel, in which case it just ignores it completely iirc). Combining 10-fold steel with Glitta Augite gives you interesting results.

You can get steel items from (minor spoiler) Mineral Squeeks in Leon Karnak, which will sometimes spawn in the little area jutting out in the clouds in the bottom right of the map. They are slightly paler than regular squeeks. They have very little hp but drop a steel item each time they're hit, so combine Scrap Metal with a cheap weapon to make it deal 1 damage per swing to help you farm them.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 9, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Office Thug posted:

I'm not well-versed in the hidden secret item values and all that when it comes to forging Perfect gear, but my basic understanding was that adding a material more than once would only add the first material's stats to the weapon stats, with each consecutive addition only increasing the weapon's level.

No, I'm pretty sure that you still get the material's stats and abilities if you use it more than once. The effect is just reduced by half.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Nondevor posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that you still get the material's stats and abilities if you use it more than once. The effect is just reduced by half.

You might be right. I haven't played this game in months.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
No official reports yet, but Natsume's new in-house Harvest Moon game is apparently gonna feature Minecraft-esque mining elements. Hmm.

Here's how the characters look, at least:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
They've got the anime part down pat, at least.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
...and here are the first screenshots:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
What's with half their promo thing looking like a Tales game and the other half being a couple different generic kids animes?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Haha wow, that is seriously Minecraft looking. Also not a fan of the art, but neither is really a deal killer. Not going to get it right away like I am Story of Seasons, though. If it turns out to be a good game, then sure, why not. But I don't really have high hopes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Blhue posted:

What's with half their promo thing looking like a Tales game and the other half being a couple different generic kids animes?

It's probably just a poster of their lineup, though I only recognize Harvest Moon and Hometown Story. I'll wait it out before thinking about picking it up just in case it's bad like Hometown Story.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Dear God that looks terrible...Wow.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

What if Minecraft had slabs instead of blocks.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

...and here are the first screenshots

'We totes got great art that will capture that Harvest Moon feel!' is the jist of something CeeCee said lately. God damnit Natsume, this looks almost as horrible as Hometown Story. Now I am extremely curious what Japanese dev house they hired for this.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

I Watson posted:

'We totes got great art that will capture that Harvest Moon feel!' is the jist of something CeeCee said lately. God damnit Natsume, this looks almost as horrible as Hometown Story. Now I am extremely curious what Japanese dev house they hired for this.

If I don't have to watch a too-long cutscene every time a man sets up shop to sell me chickens & whatnot it will be an improvement. I really liked A New Beginning but every new generation of Harvest Moon games presents a "two steps forward, one step back" is awkward game design choices, I'm interested to see what new developers can do. Or gently caress up.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Blhue posted:

Because they're localizing some Kemco game.

I'd say something about their Harvest Moon still probably not allowing for gay marriage, but it looks like the player characters are married to the Goddess of Foreheads anyway.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

From the gameplay descriptions of the demo, it sounds like the bastard child of HM and Minecraft. Seems seriously awkward.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Haha wow, that is seriously Minecraft looking. Also not a fan of the art, but neither is really a deal killer. Not going to get it right away like I am Story of Seasons, though. If it turns out to be a good game, then sure, why not. But I don't really have high hopes.

This is basically my stance. I will buy the poo poo out of the genuine article, but I'll wait for less cautious goons to find out whether Natsume's knock off is a clusterfuck or worthwhile before I pull the trigger on it. Have we got any more definite news about release dates for either yet?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Well if this turns out to be crap there's always Story of Seasons to show us how its done. I'll agree that minecraft and Harvest Moon have a similar zen garden feel to them, but we already had functional drag and drop building placement in A New Hope. There's no reason to seemingly make everything destructible slabs just to chase after Minecraft's specific audience.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Lost Valley Brochure

1) "You've never played a Harvest Moon game quite like this!" No, really?!
2) That bard looks stoned out of his mind.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The Lost Valley Brochure

1) "You've never played a Harvest Moon game quite like this!" No, really?!
2) That bard looks stoned out of his mind.

Gonna farm, IN HELL.

That'd be really cool if you can actually make a lake and waterways and whatnot.

Other stolen images:

Natsume's booth. Sell me that cow please.

Story of Seasons alpaca on ketamine.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
The animals are adorable bu everything else is so...bleh.
I'm not a fan of the series to begin with and this is not going to change my mind at all I think.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think Harvest Minecraft might just be what was needed to make the game more interesting to me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They've already confirmed a European release, which is nice. Who knows how long it's gonna take someone to bring Story of Seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Track
Mar 21, 2013

SC Bracer posted:

The animals are adorable bu everything else is so...bleh.

I don't think they've even managed the animals. The cow's head in game looks really elongated next to the round, cartoony body. The dog seems to have the same problem in this promo image:

Also, and more importantly, where the gently caress is the cat in all of this? :catstare:

• Locked thread