Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Krackleburt posted:

I don't care what some of you guys say--that episode was fun as hell, and much needed after that traumatizing poo poo last week. :colbert:

Jon Snow's sword fight with that Thenn was fantastic. My only big problem with the episode is that the battle sort of wrapped up a little too quickly, but I guess that's what happens when the episode is only like 50 minutes long.

I can't believe we only have one episode left. This season just flew by for me.

I gotta watch it again there was so much amazing poo poo. Sam gets a kiss! Thornes speech was pretty good too. Ghost getting let loose was awesome I wish he had more screen time. loving Ygritte, I knew she wouldnt kill Jon! I just realized she killed potato boys dad. I guess they only had enough CGI for 2 giants but they were badass.

The tunnel bros and reciting the oath were awesome, I cant believe they died to the last man but at least they got the giant too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I am still holding out hope that the ultimate twist for the finale will be GRRM coming out and announcing the release date for Winds of Winter will be in a month.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

Megasabin posted:

Whoa there cowboy. He was answering someone else's question about if the way Ygriette was handled was GRRM or HBO. Maybe you should read before getting so angry.

Maybe the book talk should stay in the book thread.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Krackleburt posted:

My only big problem with the episode is that the battle sort of wrapped up a little too quickly, but I guess that's what happens when the episode is only like 50 minutes long.

You have to remember, though, that while it was a major battle to the Night's Watch guys, it was literally just an opening skirmish to the Wildlings. It was never meant to be a big set-piece battle.

IMB posted:

The whining about harmless bits of book talk will always be way more loving annoying than the book talk itself.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 9, 2014

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

IMB posted:

Whoa whoa, let's not get all complicated here

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

IMB posted:

Maybe you shouldn't be a giant baby.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ironlung posted:

someone says this every week. nobody cares how the show deviated from the version you had in your mind when you read a terrible 1000 page fantasy door stop, ok?

yes because changing the actual writing of what happens is somehow Not A Thing.

im not talking about minutiae here.

lfield
May 10, 2008
Every week the book readers come into the TV thread and post their "Well, in the books -" posts even though there is a separate thread for that right there on the same page. They can't help themselves. The high they get must be akin to heroin, for the trouble they have abstaining from it.

Good ep though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DFu4ever posted:

You have to remember, though, that while it was a major battle to the Night's Watch guys, it was literally just an opening skirmish to the Wildlings. It was never meant to be a big set-piece battle.

The whining about harmless bits of book talk will always be way more loving annoying than the book talk itself.

Which is, as Jon points out, the scary part :stare:

What would it take to collapse the tunnels, i.e. why not just do it now?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
haha hey guys, this totally different thing happens, good thing MY IMAGINATION is the reason it sucks

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Everyone wanted the kid nodding but quite honestly it sucks in gif form. However, here it is anyway so you can add it to a bunch of gifs of other people dying and him nodding like Legolas from LotR.

(Also I really need to learn how to do that stabilization stuff)
I was so disappointed in this gif I made a really awesome one instead.

The worst part is you know some editor has the missing 5 frames where it cut to the guy screaming.

lfield
May 10, 2008

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

haha hey guys, this totally different thing happens, good thing MY IMAGINATION is the reason it sucks

Go post in the spolier thread. Nobody here cares about the books.

Bob from AP
Apr 21, 2014
Did anyone notice that Gilly and her baby were hanging out at the southern camp of wildinglings at the end of the scene where Ygritte mouths off to then Thenns?

Edit: on second glance it looks like she maybe just wandered by them?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Is there a gif of the giant loosing the arrow because that was :darksouls: as gently caress.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They honestly do it just to see everyone's reaction. If everybody ignored it, it wouldn't happen very often. Don't worry though, next season will be the last time us book readers will know anything that is happening ahead of time. Then we'll all be up to speed.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Which is, as Jon points out, the scary part :stare:

What would it take to collapse the tunnels, i.e. why not just do it now?

The thing is reinforced to hold the weight of a 700 hundred foot or however the hell high it is wall.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

DaveKap posted:

Everyone wanted the kid nodding but quite honestly it sucks in gif form. However, here it is anyway so you can add it to a bunch of gifs of other people dying and him nodding like Legolas from LotR.

Honestly, I don't care how telegraphed that moment was, the nod made it awesome.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Was I the only one that thought Gilly was going to die?

When that guy went back to hide there with her. I thought for sure he would kill her, so no one would find out he fled. It's just after Sam's promise of not dying I figured she would kick the bucket. Glad to be wrong though.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Solice Kirsk posted:

They honestly do it just to see everyone's reaction. If everybody ignored it, it wouldn't happen very often. Don't worry though, next season will be the last time us book readers will know anything that is happening ahead of time. Then we'll all be up to speed.

i was just posting my opinion about thing and got attacked for it? i liked the ep and there was lots of cool fighting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

No More Heroes posted:

The thing is reinforced to hold the weight of a 700 hundred foot or however the hell high it is wall.

I thought they were going to freeze the tunnels. IE flood it with water and random bits of debris and wait. Actually collapsing a section of it sounds pretty stupid.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Sefal posted:

Was I the only one that thought Gilly was going to die?

When that guy went back to hide there with her. I thought for sure he would kill her, so no one would find out he fled. It's just after Sam's promise of not dying I figured she would kick the bucket. Glad to be wrong though.

Slynt is too cowardly to even kill a helpless girl. gently caress that guy.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

The Insect Court posted:

The only criticism that really strikes me as legitimate, not book-reading-aspie whining, is that there's not much in the way of plot advancement or character development. The Blackwater had some moderately important story bits as well as a more interesting cast of characters, this was more or less pure fight scene. It was nice to see Thorne get a moderately sympathetic portrayal even if Slynt gets reduced to a total caricature.

I got that the battle was to 1). establish Jon Snow's cred as a leader, and 2). show how vulnerable the Night's Watch really is when the real poo poo goes down. Am I way off base here?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

DFu4ever posted:

Kind of a stupid idea to send his right hand man into the suicide squad then.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

No More Heroes posted:

Yeah Gilly would have to be at least a toddler before he considered harming her.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wow I am tremendously disappointed. I expected a lot more from the battle. And I've never read the books btw.

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008

No More Heroes posted:

Just a reminder that this guy was somehow Commander of the Gold Cloaks in King's Landing. :psyduck:

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

BubbleGoose posted:

I got that the battle was to 1). establish Jon Snow's cred as a leader, and 2). show how vulnerable the Night's Watch really is when the real poo poo goes down. Am I way off base here?

I think that is a much more fair assessment. It also tied up the Jon and Ygritte storyline, which is pretty significant.

drunken officeparty posted:

Kind of a stupid idea to send his right hand man into the suicide squad then.

You say suicide squad, I say special forces. And honestly, they were pretty drat effective.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
So is that one guy who ran into the cellar going to be beheaded for cowardice or something?

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Holy poo poo.

That crossbow in the previews!!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

The opening bit between Jon and Sam was pretty funny, Sam: "How big were her feet??"

These guys are teenagers right?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Honestly given that it's an HBO show with a limited budget they did a pretty amazing job with this battle.

We're not going to get LOTR ROTK epic sieges they just can't afford it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Holy gently caress, that episode was awesome and one of the most unique things I've ever seen in a television show or movie or... anything. Way to take the battle of Helm's Deep and make it look like poo poo. Totally out of character for the series, too (even the Blackwater episode wasn't so focused, was it?); I didn't think it would just be one episode-long battle, and I was hoping it wouldn't be ahead of time, but now I'm glad it was. I guess that was the ultimate "gently caress you" to bookreaders who were complaining they never show any of the cool battles.

kaworu posted:

I am still holding out hope that the ultimate twist for the finale will be GRRM coming out and announcing the release date for Winds of Winter will be in a month.

You know nothing, kaworu.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

ironlung posted:

someone says this every week. nobody cares how the show deviated from the version you had in your mind when you read a terrible 1000 page fantasy door stop, ok?

drat this post owns.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

PT6A posted:

I guess that was the ultimate "gently caress you" to bookreaders who were complaining they never show any of the cool battles.

In the books it was a long drawn out siege so it's not really comparable.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

i was just posting my opinion about thing and got attacked for it? i liked the ep and there was lots of cool fighting.

Rule of thumb is that "the books" do not exist for the purpose of the show threads.

VVV - this episode also used all the SFX budget for the year.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

oswald ownenstein posted:

We're not going to get LOTR ROTK epic sieges they just can't afford it.

What? Giant battles filmed from so far away, you could conceivably pretend it's a slightly-more-detailed RTS game? The LOTR battles were pretty great, but this episode knocked them right out of the water as far as I'm concerned.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Long take in the courtyard was pretty sweet.

And actually, I was pretty tense during the Ygritte death scene. I was half expecting her to summon up the last bit of strength to grab Jon's head and impale it on the arrow sticking through her chest, or something equally :asoiaf:

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Most of the dialogue in this episode was painfully bad, but the giant shooting giant arrows made up for it.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
The only part that annoyed me was when they were just, like, standing there watching the giants hook the mammoths up to the wall. And then they were like "oh, maybe we should drop oil bombs on them or something." And then after doing that they again just sorta sat there and watched the remaining giant spend ten minutes lifting the gate up. You know, the only thing keeping you from 100,000 wildlings. Seems like an important thing to prevent from happening. Oh well, better just fire blindly into the burning forest and send 6 men down there to defend against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

a cop posted:

In the books it was a long drawn out siege so it's not really comparable.

I know, I'm one of the filthy bookreaders, but it was long ago enough that I couldn't remember the details. I think they did a loving good job translating it to TV.

Also, I was going to take a picture of all the food I prepared and the other booze I drank (the beer, to be honest, was not that fantastic), but then I hosed up with the cooking and it was a hideous monstrosity. Oh well, next week's the finale.

• Locked thread