Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

404notfound posted:

Long take in the courtyard was pretty sweet.

And actually, I was pretty tense during the Ygritte death scene. I was half expecting her to summon up the last bit of strength to grab Jon's head and impale it on the arrow sticking through her chest, or something equally :asoiaf:

Hell no she was trying to figure out how to switch sides gracefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I was expecting Jon and Sam to walk into the tunnel at the end and get mauled by the giant. I was shocked Team Grenn took it down with them.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
That episode rocked socks. I would've been happier if they wrapped up Jon's story for this season, but whatever. We only get one battle a season at most, and this one kicked rear end. If you actually count the number of people on the south side of the wall, there really aren't that many. You had about four in the kitchens, 20 at the start, plus about 10 or so that filtered in to help out. It definitely looks like a lot more when you've got all the wildlings killing dudes, too. That battle probably had 60 people in it, max. I bet some guy's gonna :spergin: and make a video counting the deaths, but I would actually watch it, because I'm kinda curious how much attention they paid to the whole thing.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
Some cool visuals, I still don't give a gently caress about John, RIP Ygritte. Badass Sam was ok.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I was expecting Jon and Sam to walk into the tunnel at the end and get mauled by the giant. I was shocked Team Grenn took it down with them.

I wished they would have showed it instead of Slynts bullshit.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Episode would've been greatly improved with half of Sam's unnecessary bullshit conversations replaced by Tormund telling us more about that time he hosed a bear.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

No More Heroes posted:

I wished they would have showed it instead of Slynts bullshit.

Same. I was pumped up for that poo poo.

*giant charges*

"AND WE ARE THE MEMBERS OF THE NIGHTS WATCH"

*giant charges even closer*

"AND WE WILL FIGHT UNTIL"

*giant bashes the wall*

*smash cut to the boring battle up top*

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The best part of these threads is all the people who feel superior because they haven't read a book.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Ogmius815 posted:

The best part of these threads is all the people who feel superior because they haven't read a book.

You can feel like an insecure weenie without anyone feeling superior about anything, fyi

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

If that is what you think motivates the people who don't like OKAY I AM PISSED ABOUT WHAT THEY CHANGED IN THE BOOKS BLAH posts then you aren't very perceptive.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ogmius815 posted:

Nerds are super obsessed with others perceiving them as smart and cool, whether it's lording the fact that they read thousands of words about rape and lemoncakes over someone else's head, or jumping on a bandwagon when something is an HBO show (and thus socially acceptable) while decrying its almost identical source material as garbage for mega virgins

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Ogmius815 posted:

Well, the show is much more enjoyable for them, so in a way, they are better.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

a cop posted:

Well, the show is much more enjoyable for them, so in a way, they are better.

I don't get this, really. The show's loving great, and the books are great but in a different way. If a were a useless moron who couldn't enjoy it unless it followed the books closely, I can see how I'd be upset, but luckily that's not the case. The show has, by and large, taken everything that's awesome about the books and made it as good or better. If the tiny details that change upset you to the point you'd even bother talking about them, you should probably have yourself checked out for autism.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Episode was so dark and brown. Following the action was fun, but it was visually bland as gently caress.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

PT6A posted:

I don't get this, really. The show's loving great, and the books are great but in a different way. If a were a useless moron who couldn't enjoy it unless it followed the books closely, I can see how I'd be upset, but luckily that's not the case. The show has, by and large, taken everything that's awesome about the books and made it as good or better. If the tiny details that change upset you to the point you'd even bother talking about them, you should probably have yourself checked out for autism.

Sorry

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

BubbleGoose posted:

Game of Thrones is so drat bleak, I half wish that after the series is finally done HBO invites back the entire cast in full costume to do a choral rendition of 'Comedy Tonight.'

That would be really nice. "Don't worry folks, it's just a show!"

All CGI'ed atop the smoking ruin that is all that remains of Westeros when the Lord of Light makes His appearance in the form of a red comet that everyone has ignored for six seasons. OOPS! You're all exploded into meat chunks and the tsunami went across the sea and killed all the towns over there. Ha ha ha ah <GRRM cashes his checks and dances off to his wolf sanctuary>

I loved the giant scythe. Hahahah that was badass.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This episode was pure hollywood, and after 4 seasons of everyone I love dying, it's kind of refreshing.

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

I actually want Mance to win. I pretty much hate everyone in Westeros and I'd like to see him gently caress things up a little bit.
you're not the only one

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Apology accepted. Obviously, you're not drinking enough if you can remember things that happen in the book by the time the episode comes on.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

DaveKap posted:

Everyone wanted the kid nodding but quite honestly it sucks in gif form.

Have you considered it sucks because your gif of it sucks

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
That was great when Jon Snow used the SPIT IN ENEMY'S FACE move he unlocked by fighting the Gin Alley superstar guy.

I was a little disappointed with the head cannibal man, turned out his entire purpose was basically to be a boss fight.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Sam the man > Stannis the Mannis.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Vanderdeath posted:

Is there a gif of the giant loosing the arrow because that was :darksouls: as gently caress.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
That was the worst game of thrones episode I've seen. Sam and Jon are really loving boring and there is a ton more interesting stuff going on elsewhere. Absolutely nothing interesting happened. This could have been a 5 minute battle and got the point across. I hope they never focus on a single charater in one episode again What a let down.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Meowbot posted:

That was the worst game of thrones episode I've seen. Sam and Jon are really loving boring and there is a ton more interesting stuff going on elsewhere. Absolutely nothing interesting happened. This could have been a 5 minute battle and got the point across. I hope they never focus on a single charater in one episode again What a let down.

On the other hand, gently caress that.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I thought this episode was garbage personally.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I love the dude with the torch who stops to look for a second

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

If that is what you think motivates the people who don't like OKAY I AM PISSED ABOUT WHAT THEY CHANGED IN THE BOOKS BLAH posts then you aren't very perceptive.

I normally don't give a poo poo if people are upset about if something was changed from whatever source material or not. Provided the adaption is good content that stands on its own.

However, as a viewer, stuff in this episode didn't seem to gel right in general, and there are some parts that literally make no sense at all. Then book readers are disappointed about it.

That makes me think HBO did their own thing and ended up loving it up compared to if they had just done what was in the books.

This doesn't feel like the stupid whining about the exact wording not being the same when Little Finger pushed whats her face off the castle. Or maybe it was a larger deviation in that episode too. It doesn't matter because it was well executed, stood on its own, and made perfect sense.

I've only read the first book, and that was right after season one. The first season was basically a straight copy and paste from the book, and they only glossed over some minor details, or changed stuff for budget reasons (like Ned's wife takes a very budget friendly trip on a road, where she takes a budget guzzling ship in the book). After watching season one and reading the first book, I didn't feel the desire to read more books.

This episode makes me want to read the books, because I'm feeling like they really hosed up something pretty epic.

TunaSled
Jun 4, 2003

Meowbot posted:

Troll harder

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007
Why do they have to man the wall? Why are there night's watchmen on the wall? It's a big wall. The only way to get through the Wall is the gates, and the only reason they don't seal the gates is so the night's watch can go through them. Seal them up and get down from there. What are you doing, why are you building another castle on the wall? It's a thousand feet high the only thing you are doing is introducing more doors on the wall and a giant ladder system that people can use to climb the wall. If the night's watch did not exist and they just left the wall as an actual wall there is no way the wildlings would ever be able to cross with all their families and wagons and mammoths and giants. Let them climb the wall, half of them would die anyway and the rest would sack Molestown. Wait, no they wouldn't because that lovely town only exists because of the Night's Watch. They would sack some stupid windmill or kill a potato dad and then Winterfell would crush them. There should be two castles on the wall: one at each end, where it hits the sea. Send patrols every now and then to make sure it hasn't fallen down. That's it. No more. Everybody GET DOWN FROM THE WALL IT IS DANGEROUS.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I can see how people would find this episode boring when taken by itself. However, when watching the series as a whole where can you just watch the next episode immediately? It's going to be pretty awesome and the majority of complaints about it will be gone.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

I've had a hard time giving a gently caress about anything happening in the wall or the north so while this was a fun episode, I couldn't really have been less interested in it.

lfield
May 10, 2008

Cyclomatic posted:

book books book book book books

This episode makes me want to read the books,

Well gently caress off and read the books then. Stop posting about them.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

HaroldofTheRock posted:

That was great when Jon Snow used the SPIT IN ENEMY'S FACE move he unlocked by fighting the Gin Alley superstar guy.

I was a little disappointed with the head cannibal man, turned out his entire purpose was basically to be a boss fight.

At first I thought Sam killed him but on the second watch-through I see Sam killed the warg :v:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

lfield posted:

Stop posting

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
The only actual bad part of the episode was Jon and Ygritte's ~True Love~ scene. Also kinda meh on how visually dark the whole episode was as well.

But other than that, it was pretty great. The giant archer was :darksouls: as all hell and the Scythe was loving rad.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Rodyle posted:

That was terrible. I've never seen an episode of Game of Thrones that I've disliked. Scenes? Sure. But the worst I've said about whole episodes was "that was better in the books." This time? EVERYTHING got hosed up. Every single good thing about the two wildling battles was made awful in this. What a piece of poo poo episode.

AS A BOOK READER I think this show is improving on all the weak parts of the books and is making the good parts even better. See how I did that? My opinion must be right, because I'm a book reader.

No one gives a poo poo about the books in this particular thread, I say that as a book reader.

PT6A posted:

This is basically the truth.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
I'm really rooting for the Wildling army to stomp through the wall and start laying siege to Westeros. They got stuck on the wrong side of the wall through sheer circumstance, as far as I know there's no immigration system in place to help well-intentioned Wildlings start a new life in the south, and yet they've overcome their frankly poo poo situation to finally rally and take control of their fate. Westeros, on the other hand, is a corrupt latter-age Rome situation that functions as a playground for a bunch of unworthy oval office leaders. I'd watch the rag-tag team of giants and cannibals sack King's Landing with glee.

Also Tormund. Tormund for president.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Junkfist posted:

Episode would've been greatly improved with half of Sam's unnecessary bullshit conversations replaced by Tormund telling us more about that time he hosed a bear.

loving Ygritte interrupting the beginning of a good story. How will we ever know now what comes after he finds out the ladybear is soft down there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I'm surprised Neil Marshall is doing TV now, he's a pretty well-known director. But I guess Doomsday and Centurion were both big flops :(

In any case the action in Blackwater and this episode were both rad so I'm glad he works on the show.

• Locked thread