Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

So when is this going to happen again?

Or were the NBPP guys hanging around a polling location back in '08 scary enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Lycus posted:

You might've missed what they were actually joking about though. The abolishment of private property. Unless you know a lot of Marxists.

Yeah, I missed like half that conversation. That's what I get for posting from bed.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

radical meme posted:

Black, hispanic, muslim, even native american.

Last time they tried Nixon gave the order to use white phosphorous, so, uh, they're gonna sit this one out. :911:
e:Same rear end in a top hat, different name.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 8, 2014

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Out of curiosity I tried to see if there were any African-American open carry groups. I only found this hilariously depressing thread on some forum.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?89386-African-americans-open-carrying

quote:

I myself am an african american and as much as I hate to claim the race card, it holds true in open carry situations.

I've been places with a white friend and we both open carried and law enforcement felt the need to detain me, seize my gun, THEN check my permit (in that order). But my white friend was not treated this way. His permit wasn't even checked.

Just to give a little extra information, that day I was coming from a job interview, I was clean shaven, neat, wearing slacks, shirt, and tie, so I did not present the gangster hoodlum image, at least not in my view.

I've once been pulled off of a train by 5 leos, stripped of my gun, slammed against the wall and humiliated only to find that I was in possession of a very valid permit (weapons carry license as it's known as in georgia).

I've had 911 called on me, even joined blackgunowners.org and was told that my experience was the norm for a man of color.

Any other black men or women here have any oc experiences?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Some comedian should start attending NRA conventions and gun shows wearing an fake explosive vest and filming the results. He has the right to defend himself from people who want to deny his right to blow himself and his surroundings up, after all. It's really unfair that you can have the lives of everyone in the same restaurant as you hanging on your mood and a trigger pull, but not a button pull or a cord tug.

Though of course said comedian would be shot instantly.

Explosives? It would be just as effective to have someone carry an assault rifle who has, shall we say, a higher melanin count than the average gun nut.

Of course, in both cases they would wind up getting shot, but still...

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
So, how does 911 not get called on these fuckasses every single time?
Do they call ahead and say "we're going to terrorize the gently caress out of an applebees in a safe neighborhood with good parking, we are all white, nothing to worry about, don't send the helicopter"
If somebody sees a pocket knife through the window of a car in a high school parking lot, the place gets locked down for 12 hours while SWAT and the K9 unit toss all the lockers.

Is this heavily regional, or can you lock down a high school for kitchen utensils, and buy a burrito while strapped in the same county?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I'm beginning to see that a large part of the appeal to gun fetishism is white privilege to show off that you can walk freely and unmolested where any minority would be slammed to the curb or shot for doing the same.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Slo-Tek posted:

Is this heavily regional, or can you lock down a high school for kitchen utensils, and buy a burrito while strapped in the same county?

It's a regional thing, in a lot of ways, and illustrates some of the major differences between urban and rural areas as well as areas where people just own guns and areas where people fetishize them. Where I'm from somebody walking around with a shotgun or hunting rifle doesn't really get much attention because hunting is so popular. Having a gun in the backseat or trunk of a car is met with "meh, whatever." I remember back when I was in high school (poo poo has probably changed some but still) you were told that you had to make sure you took the guns out of your car if you drive to school but a hunting rifle in the trunk people just didn't give a poo poo about. People that moved there from urban areas were horrified at first of all the damned guns you saw everywhere but then realized that the total lack of gun crime in the area was because these were gun owners not gun nuts. Generally speaking a gun is viewed as a tool rather than a totem. Guns were often bought as gifts for preteens or young teenagers who were then taught how to handle, use, and store guns properly, as well as what guns were for. They had about as much totemic value as a drill. Almost nobody owned any sort of assault rifle and those that did mostly kept them locked up in a cabinet because having an AK-47 was kind of neat. They never walked around with it.

Ten guys piling out of a van with guns and camouflage just isn't worth paying attention to here because they're guaranteed to be hunters out getting food. Note, however, that they also put their damned guns back in the van before entering wherever they're patronizing. They won't wave the drat things around and rant about how they're going to defend freedom some day, I swear!

We do, however, have a few gun nuts though they are uncommon. They are, without fail, upper middle class, fat, white lolbertarians that wear shiny hand guns in ludicrously obvious holsters. None of them hunt and they take every opportunity to blather about their guns that they can while absolutely insisting that they be allowed to open carry anywhere they want and get furious that you can't take guns into post offices. Now, this is Pennsylvania, which has zero open carry laws, making it de facto legal, but these guys do a fine job of arguing for open carry laws merely by existing. They make everybody uncomfortable around them and tend to wonder aloud why that is, or why they can't carry their hand guns everywhere like a totem of how strong and free they are.

It's because they do not view their firearm as a tool but as an outward demonstration of how strong, dominant, and in control they are. I feel like this is one thing that the gun nuts just aren't getting. Brandishing a weapon, wearing it obviously, and making it known that you aren't afraid to use it (though they typically are genuinely terrified of ever actually being in a situation where they might need a gun and would probably poo poo themselves and run away if a proper revolution ever did actually happen) tells everybody around you "I would probably kill you for disagreeing with me if I could get away with it." Compare that to "I own a gun because I like to eat deer."

Hell, even the militia members I've met over the years understand that brandishing a weapon in public is a stupid idea, a crazy as many of them are.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Slo-Tek posted:

Do they call ahead and say "we're going to terrorize the gently caress out of an applebees in a safe neighborhood with good parking, we are all white, nothing to worry about, don't send the helicopter"
If somebody sees a pocket knife through the window of a car in a high school parking lot, the place gets locked down for 12 hours while SWAT and the K9 unit toss all the lockers.

Frankly if I see someone walking around strapped with guns like that I'm calling the cops immediately. Yeah, they may have a right to carry, but I also have a right to call the cops if I see some fucksticks running around with guns who might, you know, flip out any moment and shoot someone, or some rear end in a top hat might try and steal their guns for use in a crime, or something. gently caress, it scares the poo poo out of me.

Luckily I haven't seen this happening near me yet.

I would imagine that people don't call the cops because they're terrified, or they do call the cops and the cops don't give a gently caress.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Mr Interweb posted:

Explosives? It would be just as effective to have someone carry an assault rifle who has, shall we say, a higher melanin count than the average gun nut.

RIP Allen West I guess.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Slo-Tek posted:

Depends where they go, how visible they are, and how likely they are to notice the caller. Most people's first reaction to seeing a group of people walking around toting assault rifles is not to antagonize them. If you see them walking down the street from your car or house, you'll probably call the cops. If you look up from your burrito at chipotle and suddenly see a bunch of assholes with guns, doing something that gets you noticed is going to be low on your good ideas list. Then you notice they're just a bunch of chubby goobers and the business is handling it so you're more interested in taking pictures to laugh at later and post on facebook instead of calling 911.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Speaking of Open Carry...http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140607-texas-open-carry-movement-raises-passions-threats.ece

quote:

A 60-year-old Collin County woman, who asked not to be identified, said she was driving to a mall in March when she saw men with guns on a State Highway 121 overpass. She did not know they were Open Carry members, and she called Plano police.
Several weeks later, an Open Carry supporter posted her name and phone number on YouTube. She began to receive threatening texts and calls, she said.
“They were calling me names I haven’t heard since I was in middle school,” she said. “They were calling me a whore and all kinds of nasty names. … I think there’s some really crazy, unstable people out there.”
She added: “I grew up in rural Texas, where all my family were hunters and gun people. I’m not anti-gun. But a real man and a real hunter would never, ever carry an assault weapon intimidating people.”
Grisham said the Open Carry member should not have made the woman’s name and number public. “He did it for the right reasons,” Grisham said. “It was just bad execution.”

Christ, what a bunch of assholes. These guys could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for pro-gun control people just because of how unsympathetic they are.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
He did it for the right reasons?

What reasons are those, pray-tell?

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Speaking of Open Carry...http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20140607-texas-open-carry-movement-raises-passions-threats.ece

Christ, what a bunch of assholes. These guys could turn out to be a blessing in disguise for pro-gun control people just because of how unsympathetic they are.

"He did it for the right reasons. It was just bad execution."

That is a truly amazing quote. Posting someone's personal information so that people can harass and attack a 60-year-old woman was fine, he just went about is in the wrong way? What, did he post it on Facebook when he should have tweeted it, or something? Even the most generous interpretation is, "A person calling the police to report what appears to be a dangerous situation is the right reason to expose her to abuse, harassment, stalking, and potentially life-threatening danger."

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

“He did it for the right reasons,” Grisham said. “It was just bad execution.”

:stare: What loving reasons would those be?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
A reminder that the NRA backpedaled from their criticisms of Open Carry Texas. So let anybody who supports the NRA know that they also support people who are threatening and intimidating law-abiding citizens with lethal weapons.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

radical meme posted:

God I hope that's not true. Whether it was uncovered or not, he still had a group of malevolent, sadistic gangsters surrounding him in his staff and administration that would have gone on to destroy the lives of who knows how many people. Without Watergate, Nixon might have been able to actually do something with that enemies list of his.

Well, just keep on perpetuating the "Nixon was a liberal" meme and you'll get there no problem.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Wales Grey posted:

:stare: What loving reasons would those be?

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice" :patriot:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

radical meme posted:

God I hope that's not true. Whether it was uncovered or not, he still had a group of malevolent, sadistic gangsters surrounding him in his staff and administration that would have gone on to destroy the lives of who knows how many people. Without Watergate, Nixon might have been able to actually do something with that enemies list of his.

Reagan is remembered fondly and he did worse for this country than Nixon.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Reagan is remembered fondly and he did worse for this country than Nixon.

I don't have any fond memories of Reagan. Why can't you and computer parts just admit that Nixon was a crook and every body around him in his staff and administration was a crook instead of having masturbatory fantasies about rehabilitating the man?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
are people saying that?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

radical meme posted:

I don't have any fond memories of Reagan. Why can't you and computer parts just admit that Nixon was a crook and every body around him in his staff and administration was a crook instead of having masturbatory fantasies about rehabilitating the man?

I never said he wasnt dumbass stop putting words in my mouth. And I didn't realize you = a large percentage of the US population in regards to how Reagan is remembered.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Slo-Tek posted:

From what I remember from most of these stories, the police do get called pretty much immediately every time. The articles usually have a little blurb about how the police were called/showed up and didn't really do much because what they were/are doing is legal, just crazy as hell.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

radical meme posted:

Is that panic I smell? It's happening no matter what any of us have to say in the matter. We have a post-legality executive now; Nixon wasn't a monster, he was just ahead of the curve. Future generations will laud him as a pragmatic man who ended the Vietnam War but whose insecurities got the better of him.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SedanChair posted:

Is that panic I smell? It's happening no matter what any of us have to say in the matter. We have a post-legality executive now; Nixon wasn't a monster, he was just ahead of the curve. Future generations will laud him as a pragmatic man who ended the Vietnam War but whose insecurities got the better of him.

If you start doing this for Reagan it's not going to be funny anymore.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Slo-Tek posted:

They're white males?

As noted above, it must be pointed out that they're going through the public records and harassing everyone that calls 911 on them. There is nothing redeeming about the open carry people. They're a bunch of privileged man-children that, in the absence of any actual threats to their lifestyle, have decided to manufacture one with this nonsense. They have no concept of how their actions are being perceived outside of their gang of libertarian buddies and forums because they just don't care about anyone but themselves. If what they're doing brings about tougher gun laws, which it already has if you count businesses telling them to go away, they only view that as reason to keep fighting.

The recent retraction from the NRA is a huge boon for them and I don't expect them to go anywhere.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 9, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Mr Interweb posted:

Eh, I don't think they're that racist. I think they're at least self-aware enough to appreciate the presence of a token black gun nut to give them plausible deniability.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have no doubt if a black group tried to pull the Panthers' shtick again they'd get shot on by some Zimmerman wannabe. They like having ONE black dude with a gun around to show off as their not-racist prop, more than one makes them squirm.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's impossible to be more racist than the NRA.

Chantilly Say posted:

If you start doing this for Reagan it's not going to be funny anymore.

Reagan ascended to sainthood before he even died, Obama loves him, no rehabilitation is necessary.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Reagan ascended to sainthood before he even died, Obama loves him, no rehabilitation is necessary.

Hey, I thought you were trying to be funny but that's goddamn truth. :(

Nixon is far from reaching the heights of Reagan's star. I think Obama will be looked back at more fondly than Nixon ever will. (That will take some time though, and will depend on who you're talking to.)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

radical meme posted:

I don't have any fond memories of Reagan.

You may not. I certainly don't. But tens of millions of Republicans, unfortunately, do. "Ronald Reagan was a politician adored by millions" is a factual statement. Whether that is good or bad has nothing to do with the veracity of the statement.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

SedanChair posted:

I think you're joking, but seriously... The Saturday Night Massacre. Kinda hard to rehabilitate that away.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Why? Are you implying that even 20% of people under 40 would know what it is if polled?

Don't officials serve at the President's pleasure? :smugdog:

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You may not. I certainly don't. But tens of millions of Republicans, unfortunately, do. "Ronald Reagan was a politician adored by millions" is a factual statement. Whether that is good or bad has nothing to do with the veracity of the statement.

I believe that Ronald Reagan was a great president. My heart and best intentions tell me that statement is true, but unfortunately the facts and evidence tell me it is not.

:smug:

Yeah I'm rehashing a thing from half a page ago. I don't care.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SedanChair posted:

It's impossible to be more racist than the NRA.

Ah, but remember: Politics is the art of the possible.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Chantilly Say posted:

Ah, but remember: Politics is the art of the possible.

I suppose you could place them in a stasis field. As long as time does not penetrate the field, it would be possible to become more racist than the NRA. However as soon as the field is lowered, they will read your positions, genetically engineer a redneck with more extreme positions than you, and invite that redneck to speak at the next convention.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

beatlegs posted:

I think you're joking, but seriously... The Saturday Night Massacre. Kinda hard to rehabilitate that away.

Haha, also I hadn't read about the specifics of this poo poo before and, uh:

quote:

When Cox issued a subpoena to President Nixon, asking for copies of taped conversations recorded in the Oval Office and authorized by Nixon as evidence, the president initially refused to comply. On Friday, October 19, 1973, Nixon offered what was later known as the Stennis Compromise—asking U.S. Senator John C. Stennis to review and summarize the tapes for the special prosecutor's office. Since Stennis was famously hard-of-hearing, Cox refused the compromise that same evening and it was believed that there would be a short rest in the legal maneuvering while government offices were closed for the weekend.

However, on the following day (a Saturday) Nixon ordered Attorney General Richardson to fire Cox. Richardson refused, and resigned in protest. Nixon then ordered Deputy Attorney General William Ruckelshaus to fire Cox. He also refused and resigned.[5][6]

Nixon then ordered the Solicitor General, Robert Bork (as acting head of the Justice Department) to fire Cox. Both Richardson and Ruckelshaus had given personal assurances to the congressional oversight committee that they would not interfere, but Bork had not. Though Bork claims that he believed Nixon's order to be valid and appropriate, he considered resigning to avoid being "perceived as a man who did the President's bidding to save my job."[7] Nevertheless, having been brought to the White House by limousine and sworn in as Acting Attorney General, Bork wrote the letter firing Cox.[8] Initially, the White House claimed to have fired Ruckelshaus, but as The Washington Post article written the next day pointed out, "The letter from the President to Bork also said Ruckelshaus resigned."

And then Reagan nominated Bork to the Supreme Court. Stay classy, America.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Nixon will remain vilified if only so our future crops of crooked, swinish men aspiring to be president can pretend that they arent exactly the same as him. He is far too useful as a punchline and a yardstick of political slime to ever be rehabilitated. How else will our children and their childrens' children insinuate that the current head of state is the worst thing ever? Would you condemn them to clumsy Godwining?

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 9, 2014

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

paranoid randroid posted:

Nixon will remain vilified if only so our future crops of crooked, swinish men aspiring to be president can pretend that they arent exactly the same as him. He is far too useful as a punchline and a yardstick of political slime to ever be rehabilitated. How else will our children and their childrens' children insinuate that the current head of state is the worst thing ever? Would you condemn them to clumsy Godwining?

As Nixon passes out of memory, and as we (inevitably) see new Presidential malfeasance, someone else will become the yardstick, and there's a kind of darkly humorous anticipation I feel when I think about someday arguing about whether President so-and-so's scandal is worse than Watergate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

As Nixon passes out of memory, and as we (inevitably) see new Presidential malfeasance, someone else will become the yardstick, and there's a kind of darkly humorous anticipation I feel when I think about someday arguing about whether President so-and-so's scandal is worse than Watergate.

Liiiike Benghazi? Don't get me wrong, it's loving stupid, but that's how the right is treating this non-issue.