Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dual unrestricted 1/2" showerheads (with dual 1/2" pipes off the main!) is the best part of the bathrooms at my parents house. (Where I grew up.)

Low-flow showerheads and toilets are basically the reason the second American Civil War will start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
The pathetic thing about low flow toilets is that the rest of the first world figured them out decades ago. An australian low flow toilet will happily suck a koala bear down the pipe with 500ml of water.

I've got a toilet that can't flush a marble sized floater without 4-5 gallons of water, and 2 tries. :911:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I don't really understand the hate for low-pressure shower heads. Sure, it takes you a bit longer to get everything wet, but for like 90% of the duration of a shower the water flow is only there to keep your naked, wet rear end warm while you apply soap and shampoo (and shave, if you shave in the shower). You don't need lots of pressure for that.

I guess ideally you'd have like a foot pedal or something so you could toggle on the high pressure when you need it, but just having high pressure all the time is wasteful.

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!
I don't get the hate for low-pressure shower heads, either. But then again, I grew up in a house that had low water pressure period, so I guess I'm accustomed to this.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Because my water is included and unmetered, I don't take longass showers, and having a shower that weakly squirts lukewarm water at you is a lovely compromise. I'd rather some arrangement like grey water from the shower being saved to run the shitter or something, then ALL the shower water is saved.

If I didn't already have a better shower head I probably wouldn't have bothered swapping out the included one in this place, though.

E: also, while unrelated to pressure, the original shower head was at about eye level for me, and I am nowhere near abnormally tall. Mine has an elbow and extension so I can actually stand under it and not next to it.

Javid fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 8, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Low flow shower heads seem fine, until you take a shower with an unrestricted head. It's like having a bucket of water continually dumped on you. Or standing in a waterfall.

It's WONDERFUL.

If you're concerned about water use, turn the damned thing off when you're not actively using it. Just leave my shower head alone so I can cleanse myself with 30gpm of scalding hot bliss.

Low flows are particularly terrible in places with poor water pressure. The low flow at my home in south Miami isn't terrible, because I have great municipal pressure. On the other hand, taking a shower at my girlfriend's parents house in Pittsburgh is an exercise in futility.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

My shower head would belong in this thread if I left it after a move, probably.

However, it works and is amazing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Javid posted:

My shower head would belong in this thread if I left it after a move, probably.

However, it works and is amazing.

Me and you, we could be friends.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
You guys do know that you can usually open up the shower head and pull out the little restrictor doohickey, right? Anyone with a water-pump pliers and the will to use it should not be suffering in the shower. Personally I have a deluge head and a Teledyne Water Pik Shower Massage with a diverter that lets me run one, the other, or both.

Now shower agony, let me tell you, is going to a no-tell-motel and finding the shower head is a needle shower. Y'know, the kind that they banned for use on insane people? Those things are awful; they convert like 50% of their output into steam anyway and the water loses most of its heat to the ambient air so you have to run it obscenely hot to be comfortable. I'm wondering if these things are false economy due to the heat lost. And, y'know, lost custom due to people not going back to the motel with the needle shower.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Red_October_7000 posted:

You guys do know that you can usually open up the shower head and pull out the little restrictor doohickey, right? Anyone with a water-pump pliers and the will to use it should not be suffering in the shower. Personally I have a deluge head and a Teledyne Water Pik Shower Massage with a diverter that lets me run one, the other, or both.

Now shower agony, let me tell you, is going to a no-tell-motel and finding the shower head is a needle shower. Y'know, the kind that they banned for use on insane people? Those things are awful; they convert like 50% of their output into steam anyway and the water loses most of its heat to the ambient air so you have to run it obscenely hot to be comfortable. I'm wondering if these things are false economy due to the heat lost. And, y'know, lost custom due to people not going back to the motel with the needle shower.

Horrifyingly, some of the newer models are tamper-proof, wherein removing the flow restrictor will prevent you from reassembling the fixture without terrible leaks. It's a truly dystopian future.

Also, even with the restrictor removed, many low-flow heads still don't flow very well.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't really understand the hate for low-pressure shower heads. Sure, it takes you a bit longer to get everything wet

Let's talk about soap and hard water.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My shitter is supposedly low flow and that thing will suck down entire baskets of golf balls, packs of hotdogs, pets, cement blocks, and small children.

No idea how they did it.

Also I built my own bathroom so I put the showerhead like 7.5 feet in the air. Being a tall person in a world meant for short people sucks and I was tired of trying to crouch under a short person showerhead. My house, my showerhead height :colbert:

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Horrifyingly, some of the newer models are tamper-proof, wherein removing the flow restrictor will prevent you from reassembling the fixture without terrible leaks. It's a truly dystopian future.

Also, even with the restrictor removed, many low-flow heads still don't flow very well.

Well then in that case I suppose you can apply the old catalytic muffler trick and core it out (although I suggest an electric drill versus the dimensional lumber and lump hammer used for the catalyst) and then replace it. Tamper-proof is like bullet-proof, nothing is really tamper-proof of bullet-proof, it's merely tamper/bullet resistant.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

My shitter is supposedly low flow and that thing will suck down entire baskets of golf balls, packs of hotdogs, pets, cement blocks, and small children.

No idea how they did it.

Also I built my own bathroom so I put the showerhead like 7.5 feet in the air. Being a tall person in a world meant for short people sucks and I was tired of trying to crouch under a short person showerhead. My house, my showerhead height :colbert:

Low flow toilets have come a long way, and they aren't absolutely default terrible anymore. That said, toilets have a primary function: flush my giant, log-like turds away and out of my life quickly, and without splashing poo poo-water out of the bowl. If I have to flush twice, the toilet has failed. If so much as a single drop of water reaches escape velocity at any point during the flush cycle, the toilet has failed. If some inane, arbitrary per-flush water restriction causes the toilet to clog, rather than dispose of my leavings, then that toilet has failed.

I don't have time in my life for something as simple as a godamned toilet to fail. It's something that we've already perfected, as a species, and I won't tolerate some rear end in a top hat telling me that I need an inferior toilet so he can get people to like him.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I never understood low showerheads. If you're short, a tall showerhead doesn't hurt you...

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

MrYenko posted:

Low flow toilets have come a long way, and they aren't absolutely default terrible anymore.

I think that when America enacted low flow toilet laws, a bunch of companies just made the exact same high flow toilet use less water with each flush, by putting a brick in the tank, or making the flapper close sooner.

Thus, for a decade or so, every house that got a new toilet, got a toilet that was only capable of flushing with a fraction of the water it was designed for.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

SocketSeven posted:

I think that when America enacted low flow toilet laws, a bunch of companies just made the exact same high flow toilet use less water with each flush, by putting a brick in the tank, or making the flapper close sooner.

Thus, for a decade or so, every house that got a new toilet, got a toilet that was only capable of flushing with a fraction of the water it was designed for.

That or some well-meaning fuckhead installed a "water-saving" device which made the toilet basically not work. Worse is something I usually see in public toilets which are not purpose-built public toilets; an already low-flow toilet which has also had a "water-saving" device (intended for a high-flow toilet) installed by someone with porridge for brains. The results are predictable.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Elendil004 posted:

I never understood low showerheads. If you're short, a tall showerhead doesn't hurt you...

I checked into a hotel last summer that had the shower head at armpit height, and I'm 5'11".

They couldn't understand why I wanted another room.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

[quote="Elendil004" post="430737778"]

Less pipe.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My girlfriend used a bidet toilet combo while in Japan and now is keeping her eyes peeled for a decent model here in the US. She says once she finds one for sub $1000 we're getting it ASAP.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They opened a store near me that sells fancy toilet seats that do that, they're like $900.

Edit: Kohler sells one for $830 http://www.us.kohler.com/us/C3-Toilet-Seat-with-Bidet-Functionality/content/CNT2400393.htm

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah we saw those. We don't have elongated toilets nor a power outlet anywhere near where the toilet is. Although since the house is still under construction I wonder what the code is for an outlet close to the toilet.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

NancyPants posted:

Less pipe.

An extra foot of 3/8" PVC is like a dollar. Not a single other thing changes in the installation.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Well, you don't need an elongated toilet, and I don't know how you think that toilet works without electricity.

This one is for round seats: http://brondell.com/swash/swash-1000-bidet-seat.html

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Javid posted:

An extra foot of 3/8" PVC is like a dollar. Not a single other thing changes in the installation.

You can't buy just 1 foot of pipe at Homo Despot, and it would mean another trip anyway. :colbert:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

GreenNight posted:

Yeah we saw those. We don't have elongated toilets nor a power outlet anywhere near where the toilet is. Although since the house is still under construction I wonder what the code is for an outlet close to the toilet.

Could always just get a hose adapter and run a bit of garden hose to the bathroom sink. If you want to get fancy you can use an attachment that has different modes.

Nothing's quite as refreshing as "jet" followed by a quick "mist."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Chemmy posted:

Well, you don't need an elongated toilet, and I don't know how you think that toilet works without electricity.

The one on the Kohler page is only a toilet seat, not an entire toilet. It says it fits only elongated toilets. And yes, probably need electricity run regardless.

Ahh, that's better :) I like how it has a remote control. For some reason.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 9, 2014

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

GreenNight posted:

If you have a penis I may recommend seeing if you can upgrade to an elongated toilet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

CopperHound posted:

If you have a penis I may recommend seeing if you can upgrade to an elongated toilet.

Good point. There are quite a few toilet upgrades. Dual flush, etc.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Javid posted:

Yeah but when you're building a hotel/apartment/dorm/unnamed multiple-dwelling building, that stuff adds up. You got a better explanation?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

CopperHound posted:

I find that I don't need elongation so much as distance between waterline and tip of my dong. Someday, I'll have to worry about my balls falling into the water too.

Ball sag should be accounted for in toilet design, and it seems to be severely lacking.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

NancyPants posted:

Yeah but when you're building a hotel/apartment/dorm/unnamed multiple-dwelling building, that stuff adds up. You got a better explanation?

Oh, it makes perfect bean-counter sense, I just hate it. One dollar per bathroom is a rounding error on the cost of the shower, much less the room or the entire unit. They lose more in man-hours due to workers pausing to fart over the course of the build. It's so little money as to be irrelevant. Whereas if the eventual occupant decides they want their shower head somewhere other than chin level, it costs WAY more to do. I think I spent $20 on that thing, and an actual adjusting head or one with a hose and nozzle you can mount wherever is almost certainly $50+.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If it really bothers you and it's a permanent residence, you can't ever go wrong with one of these:

I'm 6'5" and used to have to bend over to wash my head. Got one of those and a waterfall showerhead (hose sprayer integrated into the head too, it's awesome), first time I turned it on was a religious experience.

Best :tenbux: I've ever spent, bar none.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKZUFu97vus

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Fucknag posted:

If it really bothers you and it's a permanent residence, you can't ever go wrong with one of these:

I'm 6'5" and used to have to bend over to wash my head. Got one of those and a waterfall showerhead (hose sprayer integrated into the head too, it's awesome), first time I turned it on was a religious experience.

Best :tenbux: I've ever spent, bar none.

The pipe in mine is too close to the wall to be able to screw one of those in. I had to take the one I built apart to get it on.

#fwp

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
A showerhead like this buys you a foot in five minutes. With a handheld option like that, you could also get a separate holder that sticks anywhere on the wall with a Command-esque strip.

You could definitely pay $50 (or $500 or god knows what) for a showerhead, but I really like this one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Guess I know where the PO of my shitheap moved to now.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

A showerhead like this buys you a foot in five minutes. With a handheld option like that, you could also get a separate holder that sticks anywhere on the wall with a Command-esque strip.

You could definitely pay $50 (or $500 or god knows what) for a showerhead, but I really like this one.

Ditto, I have had this for years now and can recommend.

Well drat.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jun 9, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Red_October_7000 posted:

I pulled out the "aerator" from my kitchen sink mixer and holy gently caress is it nice to be able to fill a carboy with 20L of water in less than a thousand years.
Also then you can use the water pressure to blast off spots from your frypan.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
First year of University I rented a basement apartment with water pressure that was abysmal at best. It was like someone was slowly pouring out a mug of hot water, but wanted to make it last a full 1/2 minute. The water pressure was so bad that water only came out of the bottom 1/3rd of the shower head. It took 15 seconds to get your hair wet enough to put shampoo in, and once you wanted to rinse it out, you knew what you were going to be doing for the next 5 minutes (not an exaggeration).

Finally I told the landlord that I was withholding $50 a month until the water pressure was fixed. Took him two months, but it was finally resolved. It was almost a religious experience feeling the water pressure that first time. . . then two minutes later the water went ice cold. My next shower was the same. I told the landlord that his water heater was broken (probably had one of the elements burned out). Took him another two months to fix it as well. Crazy thing was he lived upstairs, so he had to deal with the exact same problems and seemed to be more than happy to make do.