Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! posted:

All you have left is indies and f2p

Uhh...

Fame Douglas posted:

But if we're talking about flagship, maybe stuff like Arma or DayZ is worth mentioning instead of either Crysis or Witcher.

DayZ isn't even an actual game yet, much less a flagship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The GTA IV pc port may have been late but I've only just started playing it and I'll be damned if it doesn't look pretty impressive graphically on a modern high end gaming PC. I remember it getting a bad rap for poor optimization but at least it scales up nicely on what should be overkill hardware.

I have amended the "buy console when it has 5 must-play games" rule to "buy console when it has 5 must-play games that aren't also available on PC" and here I am with a Wii U, 3DS and no PS4 or (lol) Xbone.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 9, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Parker Lewis posted:

The GTA IV pc port may have been late but I've only just started playing it and I'll be damned if it doesn't look pretty impressive graphically on a modern high end gaming PC. I remember it getting a bad rap for poor optimization but at least it scales up nicely on what should be overkill hardware.

I have amended the "buy console when it has 5 must-play games" rule to "buy console when it has 5 must-play games that aren't also available on PC" and here I am with a Wii U, 3DS and no PS4 or (lol) Xbone.

Yeah the main thing with GTA IV is that Rockstar decided not to change the engine to handle well on less than 3 cores. This was a big problem at the time it came out, but on anything recent it's no issue at all.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
It's been so long since anybody's brought up the WiiU, do they still make them? Maybe they'll announce they're making them again tomorrow? What time is their presentation?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Louisgod posted:

It's been so long since anybody's brought up the WiiU, do they still make them? Maybe they'll announce they're making them again tomorrow? What time is their presentation?

Time all dogs was dead aren't you glad you're a pup?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alteisen posted:

Steam also plays a part in this, its conditioned people to wait for the big sales before buying anything.
I'll admit I'd be more inclined to buy PS4 if they marked down retail games down to under $5 within a year of coming out. I don't count the Free Games of PS+.

Louisgod posted:

Tuesday at noon ET/9 AM PT, followed immediately by "Nintendo Minute @ E3" followed by 4 hours of streaming gameplay demos of the games at their booth, followed by the Smash Bros Tournament which will also be streamed.

Then they stream more gameplay demos on the floor on Wednesday from 9:15 AM PT - 6:00 PM PT, and again on Thursday from 9:30 AM PT - 5:00 PM PT.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Alteisen posted:

Steam also plays a part in this, its conditioned people to wait for the big sales before buying anything.

There aren't many games worth more than a couple of bucks anyway, AAA games included.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah the main thing with GTA IV is that Rockstar decided not to change the engine to handle well on less than 3 cores. This was a big problem at the time it came out, but on anything recent it's no issue at all.

It was better when it had the excuse of being a "bad port" instead of just being a bad game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Times for the key presentations this year

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I'm guessing one of the announcements will be N64 games, and it will cost $2 for the privilege of playing them from two different menus on the same machine.

elf help book posted:

That's this entire thread lol

elf help book posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja, please post your eshop updates elsewhere so I never have to read another post about Nintendo on this website ever again.

What are you doing in this thread? Because it clearly isn't "contributing".

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'm guessing one of the announcements will be N64 games, and it will cost $2 for the privilege of playing them from two different menus on the same machine.

lol.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I am not exactly sure why you quoted a post from this poster from two months ago from a different thread.

Parker Lewis posted:

Yeah, this is kinda' how it is for me, as well. A large amount of noteworthy games currently available on the PS4 are indie titles that can be played on a fairly low-end personal computer or games that can be played on the PS3 I already have. Probably the silliest thing about this generation is just how much of the library of the new $400 consoles can be found on the systems I already own. I mean, there were cross-gen multiplats last time around, as well, but they weren't as common, and they were also fairly heavily downgraded on the sixth-generation systems.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Ultigonio posted:

I am not exactly sure why you quoted a post from this poster from two months ago from a different thread.

Does the datestamp matter? It's pretty striking to see someone coming into a Nintendo thread on a discussion forum to state that they don't want to see any negative discussion of Nintendo, and then go onto posting in the literal Nintendo criticism thread. It illustrates that people determined only to threadshit are given a free pass in this thread now. I don't think there are any moderators left who are tolerant of the premise of this thread, and that's why this thread isn't actually being moderated any more.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Does the datestamp matter? It's pretty striking to see someone coming into a Nintendo thread on a discussion forum to state that they don't want to see any negative discussion of Nintendo, and then go onto posting in the literal Nintendo criticism thread. It illustrates that people determined only to threadshit are given a free pass in this thread now. I don't think there are any moderators left who are tolerant of the premise of this thread, and that's why this thread isn't actually being moderated any more.

That's really creepy how close you're following him, and apparently you haven't seen the moderators join in the discussion? Like, recently? I really don't understand any of your points, or why you're posting at all.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's really creepy how close you're following him

I'm not going to pretend that I'm not good at recollecting things, that would be pathetic.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

apparently you haven't seen the moderators join in the discussion? Like, recently?

What, Kewpuh? His first post in this thread (oh poo poo, here I go stalking people again!) stated that he wanted to shut this thread down and his posts since have become progressively more low content and irrelevant. This thread no longer helps people develop their opinions on the topic. This is supposed to be one of the web's best few games forums, but Louisgod is no longer a mod and he was the only one who cared if this thread was even worth reading. Just silly rear end jokes that are supposed to be funny because they're low content. So I hardly see the point.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

AngryCaterpillar posted:

This is supposed to be one of the web's best few games forums, but Louisgod is no longer a mod and he was the only one who cared if this thread was even worth reading. Just silly rear end jokes that are supposed to be funny because they're low content. So I hardly see the point.
It's a hate thread for a Nintendo console, but I suppose we should all apologize for not living up to your lofty standards.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Is the new Smash Bros. really called Invitational? It sounds like a really bland name, but I was confused by Brawl's name since the website they released daily updates on was called the Smash Bros. Dojo.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

That loving Sned posted:

Is the new Smash Bros. really called Invitational? It sounds like a really bland name, but I was confused by Brawl's name since the website they released daily updates on was called the Smash Bros. Dojo.

They're holding some sort of Smash tournament during E3, I'm pretty sure that's just the name of the event.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'm not going to pretend that I'm not good at recollecting things, that would be pathetic.

What, Kewpuh? His first post in this thread (oh poo poo, here I go stalking people again!) stated that he wanted to shut this thread down and his posts since have become progressively more low content and irrelevant. This thread no longer helps people develop their opinions on the topic. This is supposed to be one of the web's best few games forums, but Louisgod is no longer a mod and he was the only one who cared if this thread was even worth reading. Just silly rear end jokes that are supposed to be funny because they're low content. So I hardly see the point.

Lmao you loving nerd are seriously complaining about the quality of posts in the Nintendo armchair analyst posting outhouse, are you kidding me?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It's a hate thread for a Nintendo console, but I suppose we should all apologize for not living up to your lofty standards.

A more accurate description is that this is a discussion thread that ended up being a designated thread for criticism of the console because too many people kept whining about the sanctity of their precious hugbox in the other thread.

We shouldn't actually need to have separate discussion threads for the console, but alas, goons.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

That loving Sned posted:

Nintendo is hosting a 16-man invitational tournament for Smash 4.

Although quite frankly "Invitational" is still a better name than Super Smash Bros. for WiiU/3DS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

A more accurate description is that this is a discussion thread that ended up being a designated thread for criticism of the console because too many people kept whining about the sanctity of their precious hugbox in the other thread.

We shouldn't actually need to have separate discussion threads for the console, but alas, goons.

The problem is that it got pretty drat excessive and dominated the thread, from what I recall. The Vita thread is pretty capable of discussing how poorly the system does without needing its own "is the Vita the next Wonderswan" thread. There was a lot of stuff in the pre-split Wii thread which was less "discuss the system" and more console warrior bullshit which really does overtake threads if just for the back and forth stuff.

Edit: And say what you want about this thread, there's an absolute huge gap between it and the similar X-Box One thread.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 9, 2014

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This thread is for discussion of the Wii U and how it performs against its competitors. It's not a 'hate' thread. Most of the posters in here have been discussing it seriously and only now and then do shitheads come along and post crap trying to ruin it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The_Frag_Man posted:

This thread is for discussion of the Wii U and how it performs against its competitors. It's not a 'hate' thread. Most of the posters in here have been discussing it seriously and only now and then do shitheads come along and post crap trying to ruin it.

Fair point, but it's a discussion pointed in the opposite direction of the "official" Wii U thread. Maybe hate was a strong term, but it's nowhere near as favorable here.

EDIT: I'm a massive Nintendo fan, not here to threadshit, just pointing out what I thought were facts.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nintendo's been around long enough that some people have really strong opinions on it, or a comment on modern issues is viewed as involving their entire history and vice-versa. The split was due to mutual shittiness, not "because those precious fanboys couldn't stand honest criticism" or "haters yelled down any discussion that wasn't on how it sucks."

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

This is the "Nintendo should just make mobile games because" megathread.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Can we just make it a rule to ignore anybody who decides to discuss PC master race horse poo poo?

These 4chan/reddit faggots pretty much ruin every thread they touch by touting how worthless consoles are,720p lol, PC supremacy mods and blah blah. It's dull, it's tiring, but most importantly it's not the topic.

I also really suggest people claiming that mario kart 8 is the prettiest game released this generation to visit an optometrist. It is not, it has very good art direction, but it still isn't the most impressive. While infamous second son has less staying power, it is a graphically very impressive game. Killzone is also very pretty.

As for E3, I expect to hear more about wii-u zelda, a pokemon arena or pokemon console rpg (like XD), and maybe animal crossing for revisited franchises. I also expect reggie to stammer and reference his 2004 performance.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

AngryCaterpillar posted:

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Lmfao.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: And say what you want about this thread, there's an absolute huge gap between it and the similar X-Box One thread.
Partly because there's a big difference between the consoles (and their makers) really.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

weaaddar posted:

Can we just make it a rule to ignore anybody who decides to discuss PC master race horse poo poo?

These 4chan/reddit faggots pretty much ruin every thread they touch by touting how worthless consoles are,720p lol, PC supremacy mods and blah blah. It's dull, it's tiring, but most importantly it's not the topic.

I also really suggest people claiming that mario kart 8 is the prettiest game released this generation to visit an optometrist. It is not, it has very good art direction, but it still isn't the most impressive. While infamous second son has less staying power, it is a graphically very impressive game. Killzone is also very pretty.

As for E3, I expect to hear more about wii-u zelda, a pokemon arena or pokemon console rpg (like XD), and maybe animal crossing for revisited franchises. I also expect reggie to stammer and reference his 2004 performance.

This is why i read this thread XD

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Did anybody hack the region locking yet?

Not buying it before that happens

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
This thread probably should not exist but I say that being one of the people who was against its creation in the first place. The things discussed here should have been discussed in the main thread and people who had a problem with Nintendo is doomed chat could just suck it up and accept that it was on topic and relevant to the thread.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
People get sick of Nintendo is doomed / going mobile / third party discussion because it has come up, perpetually, since the N64. The conversation can loving vote at this point.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Thats because Nintendo has consistently had unacceptable dry spells since the N64. And to be quite frank, if the Wii didn't have motion controls Nintendo probably wouldn't be first party this gen. There's no way they could have managed against the 360 and PS3 (well, maybe in Japan where the Xbox wasn't a viable option and it was just Sony for a number of years) and they wouldn't have had the cube's out of the box profitability to save face from.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love the WiiU. I post in the other thread about awesome WiiU stuff. Like most I recognize how bad Nintendo is at basically everything except making Nintendo games, so I post here about that. Cause man they are bad at a lot of stuff.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Buffer posted:

People get sick of Nintendo is doomed / going mobile / third party discussion because it has come up, perpetually, since the N64. The conversation can loving vote at this point.

They should stop sucking so much all the time then, tbh

But really, two Wii U threads is valuable and not just because poor Nintendo true believers are sensitive. There are real people who own the console (me included for some loving reason) that would like to discuss it, and the magnitude of its failure are such that they'd never get the chance over the noise of us collectively digging its grave like 6 months in.

Mostly the only thought I give to the console is what a big stupid piece of poo poo it is, but sometimes I do want to know if the year's new eShop game is worth sadly attempting to justify my purchase with.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
Basically yea. You can rehash all of the poo poo wrong with it and/or play armchair business analyst without drowning out the crumbs of new content trying to hit post #1,000,000 on Nintendo doomed/could go third party(which at least isn't preceeded by 'netcraft confitms').

I like both threads for different reasons. :shrug:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AngryCaterpillar posted:

This is supposed to be one of the web's best few games forums

this is loving gold

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

AngryCaterpillar posted:

lmfao

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

this is loving gold

New thread title imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
I have noticed that both Wii U threads have more posts than similar threads for other consoles. Just a function of time, or is Nintendo more interesting to talk about?

I think the later may be a fair point - in the E3 thread someone posted a Drinking Game for each company and the Microsoft/Sony ones were virtually identical. I guess the question is then whether it's good for Nintendo to be the different company, or if they should follow the pack. It seems like being different paid off with the Wii at least, and I don't think Nintendo could keep up with the faux-computer race since they're a gaming company and not a multimedia conglomerate or whatever you'd describe Microsoft as.

• Locked thread