Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Relevant Juggernaut reprint! C'mon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Entropic posted:

Fingers crossed for a Wall of Omens/Blossoms reprint.

I'm surprised they didn't create any Enchantment-Creature Walls in Theros block.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Constellation might actually be a deck if they'd made an enchantment version of Wall of Omens.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Ramos posted:

Then they'd all need "Can't be blocked by Walls".

But they're nomads from da steppe, walls are super effective!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_under_the_Mongol_Empire

The original terrorists imho.

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

AlternateNu posted:

I'm surprised they didn't create any Enchantment-Creature Walls in Theros block.

Anytime the gods of Theros bestowed their power on an inanimate object, it became animated.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Entropic posted:

Any particular reason? I mean they are good cards but I would have never thought they'd be on anyones "I hope they reprint this" list.

dangerburrd
Feb 20, 2013

Entropic posted:

Black version of it called "Pall Wall"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wall of Blossoms was an extremely popular card in its day, people love 'em some striped bear wall action.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm working on a casual deck with Spark Elemental and Crack the Earth because I love the :smug: feeling from pulling that off on turn 2. Maybe I should go pauper with it since they're both common?

Either way, what are some cards that would work well with either? I was looking at maybe Grafted Wargear, but that seems expensive at 3 (0 equip is nice though). Fling is something else I could use the Elementals for, as is Bone Splinters. Thatcher Revolt is similar to Spark Elemental, but also 3 mana, which is kind of tricky if I want to cast anything else in the same turn.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

odiv posted:

I'm working on a casual deck with Spark Elemental and Crack the Earth because I love the :smug: feeling from pulling that off on turn 2. Maybe I should go pauper with it since they're both common?

Either way, what are some cards that would work well with either? I was looking at maybe Grafted Wargear, but that seems expensive at 3 (0 equip is nice though). Fling is something else I could use the Elementals for, as is Bone Splinters. Thatcher Revolt is similar to Spark Elemental, but also 3 mana, which is kind of tricky if I want to cast anything else in the same turn.

Tuktuk the Explorer is a card you might like at your top-end. You could also splash black and throw in Innocent Blood for more redundancy. Being able to unearth Hellspark Elemental might make it easier to always benefit from Crack, too.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Conspiracy was so much fun -- it was over before I knew it but just the drafting process itself was enjoyable enough that I easily felt like I got my money's worth.

I managed to snag 3 of the 2W sorcery that parleys and gives you a 1/1 spirit token for each nonland revealed, and named it with the conspiracy that copies an instant or sorcery. Pulled this off twice and then tried to drop Intangible Virtue to give my tokens +1/+1 and vigilance but it was countered and at that point the other players ganged up hard. One dropped the red spell that dealt 2 damage to each creature/player & wiped my board but at least I had an altar of dementia out and got to spite-mill him for 12 in response. Of course, the player to my right had a Soulcatcher out which was then pumped to a very respectable 13/13 and I was gone before the game came back around to me. Lots of fun and a very quick game -- I'm kind of surprised some people were reporting their experience being unpleasantly drawn-out, maybe I just got lucky(?) but my game was over long before I wanted it to be (and it only took one cycle of turns after I was out before a winner was decided).

Brings me to this, though -- I really want to play some more but with my schedule I can't usually make the drafts at my LGS & I also doubt that I can wrangle 7 other people to play at home, although 3 would probably be within reach. Does drafting work okay with just 4 people? Are there any modifications I need to make to the process to make things run more smoothly? I haven't been playing for too long and don't have a lot of experience in this area.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

goferchan posted:

Brings me to this, though -- I really want to play some more but with my schedule I can't usually make the drafts at my LGS & I also doubt that I can wrangle 7 other people to play at home, although 3 would probably be within reach. Does drafting work okay with just 4 people? Are there any modifications I need to make to the process to make things run more smoothly? I haven't been playing for too long and don't have a lot of experience in this area.

I'm in the exact same boat and I'd also like to know. A friend from work wants to share a box and draft this but we'd probably get 5 or 6 people at most. Though, if you're in the western Chicago suburbs maybe we can combine our half-draft pods? :v:

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code
Yeah! Came in first with our friends conspiracy draft. Nthing, what everybody else said: conspiracy is a ton of fun!
I played WU fliers, but what absolutely saved my rear end every time were 4 Brago's representatives, combined with the hidden agenda that lets you seek out cards of the same name.
A 3drop that lets you dominate every councilvote as soon as you have three on the table was just so much fun, never mind it's great defense with four toughness.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Stinky Pit posted:

Any particular reason? I mean they are good cards but I would have never thought they'd be on anyones "I hope they reprint this" list.

It's just a nice clean, functional well-balanced card that does exactly what you want it to do in a control deck.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

It's just a nice clean, functional well-balanced card that does exactly what you want it to do in a control deck.

Also it doesn't die to enchantment removal like the star sheep. Somebody make that into a deck name plz.

I look forward to playing control behind many walls and opportunities until the walls power up and start flying

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

For anyone watching the SCG stream:

Am I missing something or did the BUG Delver just now play a Krosan Grip and an Abrupt Decay without paying for Thalia?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

AgentSythe posted:

Am I missing something or did the BUG Delver just now play a Krosan Grip and an Abrupt Decay without paying for Thalia?
Barely started watching but did he use two Deathrites for the tax?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
As wall reprints go, I hope they reprint wall of souls. That card was great fun for stopping fatties in their tracks.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

AgentSythe posted:

I'm pretty sure the grip was sequenced well before Thalia even came in, and the decay was in response to Shiels casting Thalia.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Bugsy posted:

I'm pretty sure the grip was sequenced well before Thalia even came in, and the decay was in response to Shiels casting Thalia.

I thought they were both on the same turn, but the Grip was certainly before the decay so that makes sense. Thanks, I wasn't paying enough attention.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Pretty sweet comeback by BUG Delver just now to force a third game vs Death and Taxes. Turns out multiple active Deathrites is pretty good.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Pretty sweet comeback by BUG Delver just now to force a third game vs Death and Taxes. Turns out multiple active Deathrites is pretty good.

And Jerry Mee loses with the most unflippable delvers.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Entropic posted:

It's also got that sweet incremental card advantage instead of being a haymaker that pisses people off, and it'd be a good fit in the current one for one removal format that is going on right now.

Wall of Omens/Blossoms rules.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So what's the etiquette when you tie with someone in the final round where you both have a good chance to go to the finals if you win?

Another question: I played a mill deck in the 2/2 bracket of an SCG Legacy IQ. In legacy. What?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I had a great time doing a conspiracy draft. We only had 4 but I ended up with a truly ridiculous deck.

Highlights of the night were doubling a fact or fiction with double stroke, and having one of the opponents I chose being on the brink of death, so they just gave me a pile of 5 cards :)

Splashing for Reya Dawnbringer off that other conspiracy, bringing back and chumping with a Pelakka worm each turn.

Having 5 4/4 hasty screaming seahawks. Also Cogwork Librarian interacts really well with Cogwork grinder, netting you +2 counters for the same lateness of picks.

Also we realized Marchesa triggers herself back which is kinda nutso.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

So what's the etiquette when you tie with someone in the final round where you both have a good chance to go to the finals if you win?

Another question: I played a mill deck in the 2/2 bracket of an SCG Legacy IQ. In legacy. What?

Honestly, I would only concede in that spot if I believed that it was completely my fault that the game went to time, and if my opponent was heavily favored to win. Otherwise, it's both players' responsibilities to finish a match on time, and I would just take a draw. I definitely would not expect my opponent to concede, they are under no obligation. If I felt like it was their fault the match went to time, I would make a mental note to call a judge more often for slow play. I think nowadays most people won't expect a concession, but I'm sure you'll get some who will be pissed off if you don't.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Honestly, I would only concede in that spot if I believed that it was completely my fault that the game went to time, and if my opponent was heavily favored to win. Otherwise, it's both players' responsibilities to finish a match on time, and I would just take a draw. I definitely would not expect my opponent to concede, they are under no obligation. If I felt like it was their fault the match went to time, I would make a mental note to call a judge more often for slow play. I think nowadays most people won't expect a concession, but I'm sure you'll get some who will be pissed off if you don't.

Well, I ended up conceding anyway.we agreed to split any winnings he got. It's a guy I play with regularly, which is the only reason I even considered it. He ended up in 9th anyway so it didn't matter. I really should have won game 1, but apparently I had left out all of my removal and creatures that game, or something. But I think he was pretty heavily favored not to win considering what the top 8 was.

Edit: we agreed to split after I gave him the win.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 9, 2014

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

suicidesteve posted:

Well, I ended up conceding anyway.we agreed to split any winnings he got.

Conceding and splitting prizes a a gigantic grey area, and you risk getting disqualified for bribery in some cases. Be careful when you do that.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
You guys are making me jealous - due to a shipping problem (at least that's what the shop guy told me) Japan isn't getting English Conspiracy packs until the 20th. Wouldn't bother me to use what we do have (a valid excuse to dig for Japanese chase foils and squirrel tokens while playing?) but a lot of my playgroup would be put off.

Some of us did play multiplayer one-pack drafts and had a blast with that though. Turns out two Compulsive Researches and the Conspiracy that lets you draw a card when you cast a named spell is just about the best thing you can hope for in a Pack Wars-y situation.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Hopping Ghost posted:

You guys are making me jealous - due to a shipping problem (at least that's what the shop guy told me) Japan isn't getting English Conspiracy packs until the 20th. Wouldn't bother me to use what we do have (a valid excuse to dig for Japanese chase foils and squirrel tokens while playing?) but a lot of my playgroup would be put off.

Some of us did play multiplayer one-pack drafts and had a blast with that though. Turns out two Compulsive Researches and the Conspiracy that lets you draw a card when you cast a named spell is just about the best thing you can hope for in a Pack Wars-y situation.

oops
e: n/m English conspiracy packs. The Japanese ones are here.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Hopping Ghost posted:

That's a similar situation to my LGS. Apparently, wizards are tremendously wonderful at loving up delivery to places that aren't ~*capital cities*~. The three Theros Block game days? No prize support arrived in time for either one. It's a wonder that we can actually run pre-release events when they are supposed to be run, or even have FNM promo cards for FNM.

Conspiracy has pretty much gone the same way. About 15 of us were keen to buy a box on the day it came out, only to be told that Wizards came through again and they won't be here for a week. :(

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Where do you live? Wizards is really good about shipping stuff out on time. Prize support is shipped a week or more in advance and the one time it didn't arrive for an event I sanctioned I called my rep and they got me replacements in time.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

For an actual draft, I'd say six is the minimum, though for sure you can try with one or two less. The problem generally is that the card pool gets quite small once you go below six. And with six, if you're playing with buddies, I'd definitely recommend looking at team draft, they're great fun and actually bring a lot of new considerations to the drafting process. http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/sw31

There are some variant limited formats for fewer persons you might try out (some listed on that link too), but I have very little experience with those.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Team drafting sounds fun but wouldn't it be sort of bizzare in conspiracy? 6 people seems awkward too, in my experience with 3-person multiplayer games the decision of "who do you kill first" is made somewhat easier and it's a lot easier to get the feel-bads from the perception you're being ganged up on. maybe the dethrone mechanic will help with this a bit? I'll probably try a 4-person conspiracy draft soon and will report back, but yeah, I share your concerns about the card pool. I'm trying to wrap my head around the math, but would it gently caress things up somehow if we used four booster packs per player? In a normal set I feel like that could get a little tedious but I had as much fun drafting conspiracy as I did playing it & I don't think I would get bored if the process took a little longer.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

Team drafting sounds fun but wouldn't it be sort of bizzare in conspiracy? 6 people seems awkward too, in my experience with 3-person multiplayer games the decision of "who do you kill first" is made somewhat easier and it's a lot easier to get the feel-bads from the perception you're being ganged up on. maybe the dethrone mechanic will help with this a bit? I'll probably try a 4-person conspiracy draft soon and will report back, but yeah, I share your concerns about the card pool. I'm trying to wrap my head around the math, but would it gently caress things up somehow if we used four booster packs per player? In a normal set I feel like that could get a little tedious but I had as much fun drafting conspiracy as I did playing it & I don't think I would get bored if the process took a little longer.

Ah, I misunderstood your post - I didn't realize you were specifically planning to draft for a multiplayer game. Stuff I wrote was pretty much for 1v1 games in various shapes.

I wouldn't sweat too much, pick up a box and the friends you can muster, and just draft and play a couple of rounds. There's still the issue of small pool of cards circulating the table, but not a biggie.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'd almost suggest a four-pack per player draft if you've only got four people, so the card pool is deeper and Worldknit is even more ridiculous.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So how is a conspiracy draft supposed to play out? 8 person pods, split into two 4-player FFA games?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

So how is a conspiracy draft supposed to play out? 8 person pods, split into two 4-player FFA games?

That's ideal, yeah. A four player draft and pod is great, but the card pool is too small that way unless someone gets a Lore Seeker.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Elyv posted:

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
For anyone who cares about conspiracies in cube, I wrote about how incredibly powerful they are.

• Locked thread