Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

This better be available for sale somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Holy poo poo Right Said Fred

:magical:

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

This is loving great.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Who had "guest appearance by Right Said Fred to mock Bashir Al-Assad" on the bingo card?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

axeil posted:

Who had "guest appearance by Right Said Fred to mock Bashir Al-Assad" on the bingo card?

Were those bingo cards printed up by a crystal ball hooked up to a laser printer?

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
That was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

As much as I love this show, the fact that they tweet out some of the big jokes and cameos as they happen on Twitter is a bit annoying - I always forget they do that and ruin some of the things for me before it plays out.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Gaussian posted:

That was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

I kept it together until John started dancing across the background with an eyechart.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

HOLY poo poo!

NFL Teams right now are being accused of drugging up injured players. They are no where near FIFA's level of corruption.

How? That doesn't look like a real movie.
That FIFA movie is the sports organization equivalent of "A Burns For All Seasons."

The NFL and the NCAA wish they could be as mind-blowingly awful as FIFA.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Alright, who has the gif of John with the eye chart? It's gotta be out there by now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That whole episode was brilliant. Using FRIENDS as Agit-prop was genius. Fortunately I hate Football so the World Cup doesn't confuse my feelings of loathing for FIFA. And Holy gently caress! Right Said Fred?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ClydeUmney posted:

As much as I love this show, the fact that they tweet out some of the big jokes and cameos as they happen on Twitter is a bit annoying - I always forget they do that and ruin some of the things for me before it plays out.
Then don't check Twitter when they're taping.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That FIFA segment, goddamn. Oliver elevates analogy to its own artform.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
The Assad-LMFAO bits on the Bugle were great too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKm4GBe-KHk

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

You look on Twitter on Sunday nights before you look for this show? For shame.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Jesus loving Christ, Oliver is going absolutely nuts with this new show, and it is beautiful. The only thing he honestly missed with the Fifa segment, as part of the whole religion analogy, is that it also raises the hopes of millions, dashes them repeatedly and with certainty, yet they'll still cash in on a blind hope that maybe this is their year. For England especially, its like some kind of trauma we're just not willing to address.

And yet, we're still gonna be tuning in.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Haven't really watched the show until last night because of how late it's on. It's pretty drat good. I like the in depth segments over just showing clips followed by a shot of the host looking dumbfounded. I hope they do decide to extend it to be an hour long.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, he barely scratched the surface of all the poo poo FIFA's gotten up to and how horrible a person Sepp Blatter is, but hey, there's only so much time.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I'm hoping that the day Assad finally dies, we get treated to a video fuckeulogy.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
That is an amazing word and I'm stealing it for the day Scalia dies.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

PassTheRemote posted:

I'm hoping that the day Assad finally dies, we get treated to a video fuckeulogy.

He has to bring Andy over to NY for that.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

Gaussian posted:

It was term John Oliver coined when Bin Laden died.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVb84n-FFx4

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
You can also get a coffee mug with it on it.
http://thebugleus.spinshop.com/details/194684?parent_url=http%3A%2F%2Fthebuglepodcast.com%2Fbugle-merchandise%2F

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Astro Nut posted:

Jesus loving Christ, Oliver is going absolutely nuts with this new show, and it is beautiful. The only thing he honestly missed with the Fifa segment, as part of the whole religion analogy, is that it also raises the hopes of millions, dashes them repeatedly and with certainty, yet they'll still cash in on a blind hope that maybe this is their year. For England especially, its like some kind of trauma we're just not willing to address.

And yet, we're still gonna be tuning in.

But I mean, this isn't a FIFA thing, it's a sports thing.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Gaussian posted:

It is an amazing word, yes. I cannot take credit for it though. The Bugle created it, and has used it for Bin Laden and Gaddafi, but not for Thatcher to my surprise.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

PassTheRemote posted:

It is an amazing word, yes. I cannot take credit for it though. The Bugle created it, and has used it for Bin Laden and Gaddafi, but not for Thatcher to my surprise.

Wasn't she the one where they said giving her a fuckeulogy was more validation than she deserves?

Edit: Just remembered that that was Fred Phelps. What a fucker.

Edit2: Beaten

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 9, 2014

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

ultramiraculous posted:

Wasn't she the one where they said giving her a fuckeulogy was more validation than she deserves?

I think that was Fred Phelps.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ultramiraculous posted:

Wasn't it that she has not had any real influence in years, and giving her one would make it seem like she has?

radlum
May 13, 2013
Just saw the FIFA and Right Said Fred bits on YouTube; this show is amazing. I'm really glad John takes on this kind of stuff. At this point I don't care how much an episode of GoT dissapoints the book purist in me, John Oliver makes it all go away.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Who's worse, the IOC, F1, or FIFA?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Scorchy posted:

Who's worse, the IOC, F1, or FIFA?

How much slave labor does F1 wind up using?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Right Said Fred? God I love you Jon Oliver. Especially that eye chart.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Am I a bad person for finding the whole Right Said Fred thing kind of awkward and embarrassing and not as good as they expected it to be?

Anyway, still loving the show but it really is making The Daily Show hard to watch in comparison. I'm still a week behind on J-Stew.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VagueRant posted:

Am I a bad person for finding the whole Right Said Fred thing kind of awkward and embarrassing and not as good as they expected it to be?

No. I thought it was great on paper, and a good ,laudable idea, but RSF doesn't really have any presence and the song itself sounded pretty bad, so...

Also, I wonder what would happen if TDS STOPPED watching news channels and actually tried to do a news comedy show. A lot of the time I feel like with the Daily Show I'm watching one of those Youtube ' .* Reacts To ' videos.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 10, 2014

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Oh come on, those lyrics! How could you not laugh at "At least Hitler could paint"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Yeah, I cringed pretty hard as well, but then again, I always cringe pretty hard when you have lip-synching groups with fake instruments doing the circuit.
What kinda redeemed it was the fact that they did, in fact, sing a comedy-rendition of their own song with some pretty hilarious lyrics and the whole background images.

Great idea, the delivery was just...kinda off. At least by Last Week Tonight standards so far. To be fair, those standards are pretty far up.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, I cringed pretty hard as well, but then again, I always cringe pretty hard when you have lip-synching groups with fake instruments doing the circuit.
What kinda redeemed it was the fact that they did, in fact, sing a comedy-rendition of their own song with some pretty hilarious lyrics and the whole background images.

Great idea, the delivery was just...kinda off. At least by Last Week Tonight standards so far. To be fair, those standards are pretty far up.

I agree with this. I still thought it was one of the most amazing things I'd seen in awhile.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Normally, on the Bugle, John would just do all the singing himself. That may have been a fine alternate option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Normally, on the Bugle, John would just do all the singing himself. That may have been a fine alternate option.

Yeah but if you can get the real thing there's comedy value to that. And I can't imagine it's that hard to get right said fred.

• Locked thread