Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Grim Dark and Worse Than Cupcakes

Why? When I was a dumb kid, I wrote fanfiction, but I understood tone and tried to keep it appropriate to whatever source material I was riffing on. Why not just write a story about a serial killer? I've never watched the show, but I can tell the characters he ramrodded into the story are nothing like they are in the cartoon, and might as well just be stickers slapped on original characters.

I'd like to think the author did it to cash in on a fandom, and not because he's so broken he can only view the world through the lens of My Little Pony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

the Westboro Baptist Church,
This would have potential to be hilarious if it wasn't a damned troper writing it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Soulcleaver posted:

This would have potential to be hilarious if it wasn't a damned troper writing it.

Westboro in Equestria is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic human-in-Equestria comedic fanfiction written by Carts Before Horses. It stars three members of the controversial Westboro Baptist Church. A magical tornado hits their church in Topeka, Kansas, transporting them to Equestria. While there, they must journey from Ponyville to Canterlot to find Princess Celestia, in the hopes that she can send them home.

It is also a parody of The Wizard of Oz, borrowing important plot elements and parodying many of the songs, though not a true crossover.

Tropes:

Asian and Nerdy: Jack Wu, who is more intelligent and has a lot more common sense than the other two members of the church, is Chinese-American. Bonus points because he wears glasses and is the physically-weakest member of the group until the end.
As You Know: A meta example, the author doesn't go into detail describing Ponyville and Twilight's library "because we all watch the show and already know what Ponyville looks like."
Butch Lesbian: Fred Phelps incorrectly assumes that Rainbow Dash is one.
Checkpoint Charlie: When crossing into the Changeling Kingdom, our heroes comment on how easy it was. However, they quickly find themselves surrounded by changelings.
Clothes Make the Superman: Fred Phelps can throw his hat with super strength, but seemingly can't use super-strength without it.
Eleventh Hour Superpower: Jack Wu, when he gets super flame powers.
Find Out Next Time: Used in the second-to-last chapter.
Gay Aesop: Used when the WBC members encounter Lyra and Bon Bon, a lesbian couple. But of course, they don't learn from it.
Genre Savvy: When Twilight Sparkle mentions following the cobblestone road, Jack Wu asks if there's a song that goes along with that.
Greedy Jew: Fred Phelps resists making an anti-Semitic joke about the rich bankers in Canterlot, because Twilight wouldn't get it.
A Hell of a Time: Bon Bon and Lyra have this exchange with Shirley Phelps-Roper:
“So what you’re saying is that Hell is filled with ponies like Bon Bon and I, and Heaven is filled with ponies like you?” Lyra asked.
“That’s exactly what I’m saying,” replied Shirley.
“Well, hey, maybe Hell isn’t such a bad place after all,” said Bon Bon.
Heteronormative Crusader: Not surprising, given that this story stars the Westboro Baptist Church. While in Equestria, the Phelpses comment on how they think Rainbow's mane might make her a "human being," and yell at Bon-Bon and Lyra for holding hooves.
Irony: The Westboro Baptist Church had just got done protesting tornado victims, but find themselves the victim of a tornado.
Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Fred Phelps.
Magic is Evil: Asserted by Fred Phelps upon meeting Twilight, as he asserts that magic is demonic in origin.
Make Me Wanna Shout: Shirley Phelps' superpower is that she can shatter glass and eardrums with her screaming.
The Man Behind the Curtain: Princess Luna hides behind the Royal Canterlot Curtain and uses the Royal Canterlot Voice when addressing subjects in her throne room, as per tradition.
Money Song: The Canterlot elite sing one of these, and it's a parody of "Merry Old Land of OZ."
Musical World Hypothesis: Twilight Sparkle explains that songs are simply one of the forms of communication. When the WBC members complain, she retorts
Singing is how a lot of us in this world express ourselves. You hold signs and picket, we sing. I know which one I prefer.
Nice Hat: Fred Phelps wears his cowboy hat everywhere he goes, and it grants him super strenght. Applejack, who also wears a cowboy hat, gives him a compliment on his good taste.
Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Twilight says this to Rainbow Dash in the song, "Looks Like We Messed Up, Rainbow," after inadvertently bringing Westboro to Equestria. But as Rainbow Dash makes clear, it was mostly Twilight's fault.
No Smoking: The Canterlot elite are wearing tophats and monocles, and they're smoking cigars that "they couldn't depict in the show because it's a kids' show."
Not in Kansas Anymore: Uttered by Shirley Phelps-Roper to Jack, who takes offense since he's watched the Wizard of Oz and remembers that the line was originally spoken to a dog.
Product Placement: Used several times in the story. In the beginning, Fred Phelps mentions going to McDonald's, and throughout the story there are "advertisements" for popular websites such as Google Maps or Facebook.
Real Person Fic: Fred Phelps, Shirley Phelps-Roper and Jack Wu all really exist, and so does the Westboro Baptist Church.
Shout-Out:
Twilight Sparkle comments that she finds it odd that God doesn't speak directly to humans on earth, as Celestia speaks to ponies in Equestria. Jack Wu comments that it reminds him of the C. S. Lewis book, Out of the Silent Planet.
Shirley is said to fart in Jack's general direction.
Superpower Lottery: The author implies that Twilight Sparkle has won it, saying that "she's like Green Lantern on crack."
Take That: Several, including
“Oh, right,” said Jack Wu at Fred Phelps' incredibly tenuous "logic."
“Yeah, let’s go with that explanation,” said Rainbow Dash to the unicorn’s implausible story that was nevertheless still more plausible than half the explanations for Humans in Equestria that a typical fanfiction would give.
That Reminds Me of a Song: Said by Twilight Sparkle right before she bursts into song.
Too Dumb to Live: Fred Phelps insists that the three WBC members go back into the church, even though a funnel cloud is forming right over it, because God will protect them. He doesn't.
Trailer Park Tornado Magnet: Deliberately invoked when Rainbow Dash mentions that she and the weather team had made a tornado to clear out some foreclosed cloud homes in Cloudsdale.
Welcoming Song: Two instances. Pinkie Pie sings her "Welcome to Ponyville" song to the WBC members when they first arive. Just like when Dorothy and her friends entered the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz, Twilight and the WBC members are greeted with a song when they enter Canterlot.
Wreathed in Flames: This is ultimately Jack Wu's superpower.
You Just Told Me:
"Yeah, I have powers too! And they’re the most dangerous powers of any of us, so you’d better let us all go, or I’ll use them!" said Jack Wu.
"Shut up, Jack, you don’t have superpowers," said Fred Phelps.
"Yes, but SHE doesn’t know that!" Jack said.
"Well, I do now," the Queen snickered.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Product Placement: Used several times in the story. In the beginning, Fred Phelps mentions going to McDonald's, and throughout the story there are "advertisements" for popular websites such as Google Maps or Facebook.

jesus christ why

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Wait waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait wait. Does everyone's post seriously now display their relationship status or is that just this one moron? MBecause hohoholy poo poo

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

sweeperbravo posted:

Wait waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait wait. Does everyone's post seriously now display their relationship status or is that just this one moron? MBecause hohoholy poo poo

Browsing forums, it seems like it's probably some optional profile setting thing.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

HGH posted:

Browsing forums, it seems like it's probably some optional profile setting thing.

What a valuable and necessary thing to include

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
"Pragmatically against brutality" deserves more attention.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

"Pragmatically against brutality" deserves more attention.

That came up in the lesswrong thread too, there is this weird subset of nerds that judge all literature by some weird Homo Economicus standards.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Ha, the only question I have is which came first: this colossal mountain of reading way too much into a kids' cartoon, or the EQRG group that we repeatedly shitcanned in Mechwarrior Online. You sometimes see dudes with EQRG tags in War Thunder, and they are adamant that their group is not a brony gaming group, just a general gaming group that happens to have a MLP:FiM-related name and is mostly made up of bronies.

edit: Now I'm wondering about any overlap between tropers and NationStates.net.

double edit:

Westboro in Equestria is a My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

are you loving with me :wtc:

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 8, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Swan Oat posted:

jesus christ why

CWC did the same thing in Sonichu do Autism is the probable cause.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wales Grey posted:

double edit:

It's real.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/106436/westboro-in-equestria posted:

Fred Phelps, Shirley Phelps-Roper, and Jack Wu are Westboro Baptist Church members. One day, a magic tornado hits their church in Topeka, whisking them away to the colorful world of Equestria.

Now, with a highly-irritated Twilight Sparkle to guide them, they must make their way to Canterlot in the hopes that Princess Celestia will be able to send them home. Along the road, ponies try to teach them some valuable lessons about friendship. Will they listen and find hearts and brains, or will even Equestria fail to reform these wicked witches?

The plot, cover image font, and song parodies are shamelessly stolen from the Wizard of Oz.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Swan Oat posted:

jesus christ why

The assumption that this is a thing that writers do because it happens all the time in their favourite shows and movies, rather than a thing that producers force writers to do and thus it happens all the time in their favourite shows and movies.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Somfin posted:

The assumption that this is a thing that writers do because it happens all the time in their favourite shows and movies, rather than a thing that producers force writers to do and thus it happens all the time in their favourite shows and movies.

I've said it before but it bears repeating:

You have to remember that tropers essentially engage in cargo cult literature, where they can recognise the components of a story, but not how they interlock and work. Which is why you see story descriptions that have the names of tropes liberally peppered through them as if a story is nothing but a collection of clichés put together into a cohesive mass of horribleness.

By way of analogy: A troper will spend years learning about what kind of ingredients typically go into cakes, and compile an exhaustive list of every ingredient and what they taste like on their own. Then the troper will present all of the other tropers with a bowl full of whole unshelled eggs, raw flour, oil, milk, and sugar, all in unstirred heaps, and say 'look at my cake'! And everyone will agree that the cake is delicious because it has eggs, flour, oil, milk, and sugar in it.

And there's an unopened packet of instant icing on top, and the icing is rape.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Improbable Lobster posted:

CWC did the same thing in Sonichu do Autism is the probable cause.

No.

No probably not.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

By the way, what is this referring to?

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

By the way, what is this referring to?

Fatalities in the Mortal Combat series.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

That's sad instead of funny.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Swan Oat posted:

jesus christ why

Hoofstuck is a crossover Fan Webcomic between My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic and Homestuck that was driven by reader suggestions. The first forum thread is here, the second here.

Pinkie Pie has invented a new game that can alter the fabric of reality and threatens to destroy all of Equestria. Does nopony but Twilight think this is a bad idea?

The comic was eventually cancelled due to its projected size, with the author summarizing the remainder of the story in a forum post.note The summary is about 10,000 words, just to give you an idea.

Wales Grey posted:

I wouldn't write that many words about a thing that doesn't exist.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said of tropers.

That pony military thing? It's pretty short by comparison.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Did Major Washout ever finish his book?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Anticheese posted:

Hahahahahahahahahaha

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Anticheese posted:

He didn't quit, but his superiors asked him to stop.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

cptn_dr posted:

He didn't quit, but his superiors asked him to stop.

If only his commitment to serving our country was as strong as his need to keep writing that thing :colbert:

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

Anticheese posted:

I'm not sure that he ever even started. All I remember seeing of it were trope descriptions of what Major Tom envisioned his work would be like when it was eventually finished.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Finisher1 posted:

I'm not sure that he ever even started. All I remember seeing of it were trope descriptions of what Major Tom envisioned his work would be like when it was eventually finished.

It's not finished yet, judging from the Trope page for it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DarthWiki/EndlessConflict posted:

In the year 2472, open war has begun between the forces of the Starlight Alliance and the Preyaran Daemonyte. As battles in space and on land erupt, the Cold War of the past centuries boils over in a grand struggle to end the Endless Conflict once and for all.

Or so the sides hope.

Endless Conflict tells the story of Mathias "Mat" Watkins, Tenchi Yamanaka, and a young Terran named Daniel as they live and fight the final phase of the eponymous conflict to whatever conclusion it may bring. Spanning a planned trilogy, the series begins where it all begins early on for the characters, exploring who they are and why they are that way but then thrusts them straight into the action as the universe drags them straight into the conflict and continues on from there.

The series is notable for its Deconstruction of the Space Marine and traditional futuristic military sci while set in a grand Space Opera. Tactics are examined, personalities exposed, and even the lines between sides grows blurred as the story unfolds. Additionally, nothing major about the series is planned and created ahead of time because the author hates outlining though connecting the major events is largely done on improvisation or freewriting.

A labor several years in the making from a design standpoint, and as of yet still far from finished, Endless Conflict strives to be the best it can be or die trying. If I ever get it finished and/or published that is...

This series also is known for being poorly written and eternally unfinished.

Every war has Tropes, even supposedly this one. (note: Everything mentioned here has either been written or is planned to be written into the series by the time it is finished.)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I think he posted one excerpt of what he had so far, and it was hilariously bad.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Dryerball is still the stupidest name for a planet I've ever heard, and I've been in some pretty bad Sci-Fi RPs, let alone reading a mountain of bad sci-fi as a kid.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

He's the guy who wrote that one fic with the line "the dickgirls opened fire" right?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Testekill posted:

He's the guy who wrote that one fic with the line "the dickgirls opened fire" right?

No, that was Enemy Mayan. Major Tom did have a bunch of anime tropes, though, like the katana-wielding aliens discussing honor in a field of cherry blossom trees, or the Marine that looks like a little girl (but totally isn't!!!)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cptn_dr posted:

Dryerball is still the stupidest name for a planet I've ever heard, and I've been in some pretty bad Sci-Fi RPs, let alone reading a mountain of bad sci-fi as a kid.

Wait, Dryerball was actually in his writing? I thought it was just some stupid name goons made up that was slapped on the work like a joke.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wait, Dryerball was actually in his writing? I thought it was just some stupid name goons made up that was slapped on the work like a joke.

It wasn't literally Dryerball but it was something really, really similar. I want to say "Dryorboll" or something like that?

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Breetai posted:

I've said it before but it bears repeating:

You have to remember that tropers essentially engage in cargo cult literature, where they can recognise the components of a story, but not how they interlock and work. Which is why you see story descriptions that have the names of tropes liberally peppered through them as if a story is nothing but a collection of clichés put together into a cohesive mass of horribleness.

By way of analogy: A troper will spend years learning about what kind of ingredients typically go into cakes, and compile an exhaustive list of every ingredient and what they taste like on their own. Then the troper will present all of the other tropers with a bowl full of whole unshelled eggs, raw flour, oil, milk, and sugar, all in unstirred heaps, and say 'look at my cake'! And everyone will agree that the cake is delicious because it has eggs, flour, oil, milk, and sugar in it.

And there's an unopened packet of instant icing on top, and the icing is rape.

I prefer Project A.F.T.E.R's metaphor about TVTropes:

quote:

I'd say that these pages are proof that TV Tropes and tropers have a 'Cargo Cult' mindset when it comes to story telling and tropes...Like the island tribes that built imitation airstrips and radio equipment in the wake of WWII, they have taken these tropes, these building blocks that they have no idea how to use or what to do with, and they have put them on a pedestal, not as narrative devices, but as memes they can use to substitute for actual thoughts and statements.

TV Tropes is a website of confused islanders, building straw airplanes and cutting fake landing strips hoping that they'll magically create a real airport.

Has the Pantheon page been touched here yet?

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Motherly Scootaloo (formerly Pregnant Scootaloo)
Isn't Scootaloo one of the characters whose entire plotline is wanting to go through pony puberty?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Please post all the Major Tom excerpts please they are the funniest TVTropes writing ever. The chapter names were also really good.

And yeah it was a couple years ago that I read all his goofy poo poo but I'm pretty sure Dryerball or Dryorball is the real name of a planet. Archives are back up you have no excuse to not post!!!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Swan Oat posted:

Please post all the Major Tom excerpts please they are the funniest TVTropes writing ever. The chapter names were also really good.

And yeah it was a couple years ago that I read all his goofy poo poo but I'm pretty sure Dryerball or Dryorball is the real name of a planet. Archives are back up you have no excuse to not post!!!

Below is the chapter with katana-wielding aliens discussing honor in a field of cherry blossom trees, as mentioned by WeaponGradeSadness above.

quote:

Chapter Seventeen: The Flames Of War

June 23, 2472: 1213 hours. Elysium City, capital of Elysium colony.

“Scorpion Five this is Traveller 2-3, be advised we have eyes on a large concentration of Terran armor headed in your vicinity, how copy over?”

“Copy Traveller 2-3, we’re dug in at a large civilian office building, we got eyes on multiple Terran APCs, IFVs, tanks and light tactical vehicles arranged in a dual stacked protective column. Standing by to engage over.”

“Scorpion Five to Mantis Actual, requesting fire support for fire mission, rocket artillery barrage at ……. to fire on our mark over.”

“Scorpion Five, Mantis Actual. Locust Seven is standing by awaiting your call.”

“Copy. Locust Seven this is Scorpion Five we have engaged Terran armor and attached infantry on our position at………questing fire support for fire mission. Enemy armor and infantry in the open and advancing on our position.”

“Scorpion Five, rocket batteries on full standby preparing to fire….Shot over.”

“Shot out!”

“Splash over.”

“Splash out!”

“Target hit over?”

“Target hit out!”

“Mantis Actual, Scorpion Five, be advised report multiple Terran armored vehicles disabled or destroyed and the rest of the convoy is in retreat, we’re on mission continue…”

“Skysweeper Three to Mantis Actual, requesting air cover ov………my Kitsune batteries have run dry and we’re running on AA guns only, significant Terran air power overhead and have been hit by multiple attack runs over.”

“Skysweeper Three, Mantis Actual be advised most of our air support is already engaged. We’ll divert some air cover over to your position, in the meantime your orders are to fall back to secondary ADA position southwest of your present. Notifying Mantis Prime of the change in air cover.”

“Emerald Actual, Emerald Three! We have engaged multiple Terran infantry across the river to the east of the park, our position is being contested heavily across two directions. Our position is danger of being over-…”

“Emerald Actual, Emerald Five, Emerald Three is down and we are pinned down by heavy fire from Terran infantry taking defensive positions in the nearby buildings to our east and north! Where the hell are you? We need additional manpower now!”

“Mantis Actual, this is Dragonfly 3-6, my flight of four A-22 Mirais are in position and beginning our run on enemy armor column. Standby for update over.”

“Standing by.”

“Mantis Actual, this is Dragonfly 3-6, enemy armor column has been disabled. Target ratio is fifty over one hundred. Returning to base.”

Anzan opened his eyes as the last radio transmission ceased. All around him the white and pink petals of the cherry trees fluttered about in the air as he sat on the bench beneath him. Spring had come to Elysium City just in time for the sakura petals to bloom and fall as they did every year. Today a grey sky pervaded the blizzard of petals amongst the cherry grove here in Elysium City Park and a light rain pattered about the trees pelting each remaining petal with a light tap. This comforted Anzan inside, the light rain dimming the noise of distant battle elsewhere in the city. But the peaceful scene in the cherry grove he knew would not last forever as similar brief bloomings were common in the Antara cherry tree back home.

“It is time my son, we are moving.” Swordmaster Khornan said before growing curious of the expression on Anzan’s face. “Are you okay my son?”

“Look at them all father. The petals fall like fresh snow all around us, just like spring back home.”

Khornan walked over and sat beside his son as the rain and cherry blossoms continued to fall around them, rainwater washing over their blue hair.

“Yes. And like back home they carry the message of both birth and death. I greatly fear that one day we will not have enough trees to honor all the dead of this war. But truly this is a wondrous gift to see despite what is says.”

“I fear the same will happen too father.” Anzan replied in understanding.

“I never told you this much before when you were younger, but I’ve always carried a deep liking for scenes like these. So peaceful compared to the constant reminders of the eternal conflict around us. Do you know how many Lancers have died in since I became Swordmaster?”

“No father.”

“Two million, four hundred thirty two thousand, three hundred and two. Every last one of them I keep as a reminder of what my charge as Swordmaster is and the trials even I have yet to come. One day you too may know what it means to be this. But I pray that in your lifetime at least, there shall be the peace honorable warriors like us deserve, if not victory in our hearts at the end.”

Khornan stood back up from the bench. “But in the meantime, we must do as we’re needed. Not only for our own honor but to preserve our people’s future.”

Anzan stood up next to him. “And that is why we are here on this world. To protect and defend those we swear on our lives and our honor over.”

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
I think it was Dreyorball. Also there was a character who's basically Hong Meiling from Touhou. Also, like all Troper-fiction, the tiny amount of excerpts were perfect examples of why anime only works as an audiovisual medium, and filling a novel with anime clichés, or trying to write a novel as an anime, is a really terrible idea (especially if you're as hilariously bad at writing as most tropers).

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

JosephWongKS posted:

Below is the chapter with katana-wielding aliens discussing honor in a field of cherry blossom trees, as mentioned by WeaponGradeSadness above.

the sad thing is, going off of

Hammurabi posted:

trying to write a novel as an anime, is a really terrible idea (especially if you're as hilariously bad at writing as most tropers).

if he'd just written something like "They sat together, surrounded by the blossoms. A light rain fell." and left it at that, it would have perfectly conveyed the message and image of 'stoic warriors yadda yadda beauty nature yadda yadaa".

But tropers ALWAYS think MORE WORDS is BETTER WRITING.

fake edit: The words WeaponGradeSadness, put together and capitalized like that, brought flashbacks of how fast eddie's malignant tumor of coding has tropes be written for hotlinking. It even sounds like a trope.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah, it was Dreyorball.

Major Tom in Writer's Block Daily thread posted:

I just thought of a summary of each episode/chapter of my Siege of Dreyorball arc.

Chapter 23: The Siege of Dreyorball Part 1: David Vs Goliath Duel Above A Super-Earth
Admiral Mei Lin finds herself in unexpected circumstances and a new enemy as Judicator Jornal plots something special.

Chapter 24: The Siege of Dreyorball Part 2: The Airfield at the Forest
Captain Mathias Watkins and Judicator Jornal team up to strike a communications relay at a major airfield, what Mathias doesn't expect is what he sees from Jornal and his true objective...

Chapter 25: The Siege of Dreyorball Part 3: Sometimes All You Need Is A Second Chance
Admiral Lin tries again to break the Preyarans' defense. This time however it seems easier without the threat from the red and white...

Chapter 26: The Siege of Dreyorball Part 4: Pursuit of Friendship
Captain Watkins, Judicator Jornal and their crews escape the airfield to link up with Colonel Smith's strike team and reinforcements.

Chapter 27: The Siege of Dreyorball Part 5: Edge Of The Sword
An armor assault by Colonel Smith to break the deadlock meets heavy resistance and a red and white colored foe...

Chapter 28: The Siege of Dreyorball Part 6: The Final Flight Of The Phoenix
Aided by the frigate CSS Phoenix at low altitude, Colonel Smith and his crew stage another attempt at breaking a key army facility. The red and white however ultimately has other plans...

Chapter 29: The Siege of Dreyorball Part 7: Onigoroshi-hen ~ The Demonslaying Chapter
Fed up with being hindered by the red and white, Colonel Smith calls his custom M-Tech the Black Knight back into service. But just when he's finally located his foe, a new battle emerges between Smith's protege Mathias and the red and white's pilot. Did those two have a connection to each other from years past?

Chapter 30: Wayward Sister
Medical search and rescue officer Lieutenant Samantha Watkins receives her new assignment and a new team member out of an old friend. However she finds herself at the wrong destination at a very wrong time.

Chapter 31: Cold Pursuit ~ Wayward Sister
Crash landed upon the ice moon of Sinhalin, Lieutenant Samantha Watkins and her crew struggle to deal with the freezing cold and Preyaran patrols as secretly a lone sniper who can't miss and a protective brother move in her direction.

Chapter 32: Cosmic Fairytale
Captain Roy Jansen, meet Captain Mathias Watkins...

Later in the thread he posted the opening to chapter 26.

quote:

Captain Mathias Watkins switched off his radio. “I had Colonel Smith on the line. Friendly forces have made landfall to the southeast and are advancing in every direction. He’s coming in to pick us up out of here. ETA is roughly in about an hour.”

“That’s not good enough Captain Watkins. We’ll have been pasted into the ground for at least 30 minutes. My men report the Preyarans are massing for a counterattack. At least two full battalions’ worth. If I were them I would be running mainly an infantry attack, they’ll be thinking my fighters are now using this as a base. Worse, they’ll be thinking we’re a much larger force than we really are. They’ll likely attack from the north and east.” Judicator Jornal said.

“Then we’re just going to have to go out and delay them at the north and east gates. We’ll use what we have here to do so.”

“Right, we’ll set up three lines of fougasse charges using some fuel from the base. One here near the tower and two more, one near each gate. We’ll run a staggered fallback and delay them all the way to the tower and hold our ground there until Colonel Smith arrives.”

“Then we don’t have any time to waste… Let’s do this.”

Where is this scene taking place? Do these people like each other? Hate each other? Do they have any opinions about what they're telling each other? Do they have any concerns other than their immediate problem? Does anything actually happen in this scene? :shrug:

Shwoo fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Continuation from the "cherry blossoms" chapter above.

quote:

“Indeed.” Khornan finished as he and Anzan began walking out of the cherry grove.

As the pair emerged from underneath the trees of the park, the serene peacefulness of the grove quickly gave way to the reality of the city around them. Anti-aircraft fire lit up the sky in almost every direction and bright flashes from distant explosions continuously lit up the horizon. The thundering of those explosions and the distant gunfire continually sounded from every direction as well. The pattering of light rain drowned out amidst the sound of battle. Around Anzan, other Lancers quickly gathered as the Swordmaster took point to the north. At the same time a pair of Mirai fighters screamed overhead headed south as they returned from an attack run somewhere in the city.

“Traveller 2-3, give us an update. We are receiving reports of enemy attack aircraft approaching from the northeast, can you confirm over?”

“Affirmative, we got eyes on multiple tilt-thruster attack aircraft coming in at low altitude.”

Anzan remembered he had left the radio on to receive, but he figured it might be worth listening to what is happening in the battle around him.

“Alright everyone, our battleplan is going to be simple for this one. Hilancer Lord Kasen has an advance portion of his division advanced onto our side of the river and has called for assistance. His efforts are vital in our plans for the region therefore we must not fail in reaching him and assisting in every possible way we can. Do all of you understand?” Khornan said addressing the nearby group.

The group Anzan included nodded in affirmation.

“Very well, let’s move!”

The cadre of Lancers quickly advanced three hundred meters to the north catching sight of Kasen’s detachment holding position with Swordmaster Khornan holding amongst the lead. Ahead of them on a small rolling grassy rise, several A-32 “Kappa” main battle tanks held position alongside A-34 “Kasha” tracked IF Vs and flanked by several Karakasa light tactical vehicles. Preyaran infantry packed in all along the line continuously firing out towards the north and enemy fire from the north passed by them or impacting into the light mud and grass they stood on. On the right of the defensive line a tall Preyaran adorned with deep red hair stood about directing nearby Lancers to keep pushing forward onto the line and directing fire from the vehicles.

“Maintain a base of fire towards the north, concentrate your attention on heavy weapons crews and dug in positions!” Hilancer Lord Kasen yelled out directing the nearby Lancers about him.

“Lord Kasen, what is your status?” Khornan said to the red haired Preyaran as he rushed over to him on foot.

The rest of the Lancers following Khornan including Anzan quickly followed behind. On the line two Lancers quickly dropped to the ground, cut down by enemy fire. A third stumbled over as a particle bolt struck her in the right shoulder. As others rushed over to help, she signaled she would be alright and that the bolt didn’t penetrate her armor.

“Not good Swordmaster, my advance team is pinned down by a large dug in line of Terran infantry on the far side of the road cutting through this part of the park near the soccer field! Better yet, Terran infantry forces have formed a strongpoint over in the four story building to the northeast!” Kasen replied pointing to a nearby damaged four story commercial building. “They have barricaded their position with missiles, heavy weapons fire and-“

“INCOMING!” One of the nearby Lancers shouted as several rocket artillery rounds began impacting along the Preyarans’ line. Meanwhile a Terran 90mm FGM-255 Javelin anti-armor missile popped up from the top of the four story building flying upwards towards the sky before stalling in mid flight, turning back down and rapidly accelerating towards its target a Kappa main battle tank on the far left side of the vehicle formation. A large explosion quickly erupted from the left side as the tank burst open. A second Javelin missile quickly followed streaming into the air towards the south, sending an approaching Mirai fighter tumbling and rolling to the right as it flew burning overhead to the northeast.

“As I said, they have barricaded in with missiles, heavy weapons fire, and machine guns raining hell on my advance force!” Kasen said as several more rocket artillery rounds exploded along his line. The Kappa and Kasha armored vehicles traded fire in return towards the enemy line. “It gets even better too! I have reports coming in that Terran armor and attack aircraft are counterattacking from the north and northwest headed right for this position! I cannot move the rest of my division to engage from across the river while that strongpoint rains hell here!”

“Understood. We’ll hit the strongpoint at the four story building and do what we can to break up the infantry line. Once we’re in the building, begin moving the rest of your division up from across the river. We’ll provide covering and supporting fire from there at every available opportunity. Can you provide us with some supporting fire and maybe some spare manpower to help us get there?” Khornan said as enemy fire intensified all around the battle.

“I’ll direct whatever I can spare to help out. Just get in there and help us help you.” Kasen replied.

Several more rocket artillery rounds exploded amongst the line, one of them striking a Lancer directly not thirty meters from Kasen and Khornan. As the dirt began clearing it became readily evident nothing larger than a shoe remained of the poor soul.

“Alright, you heard Kasen, let’s move! Be fast and don’t stop for anything!” Khornan said over to his men as a Kappa on the right side of the line moved into firing position along the northbound road running on the right side of the Preyaran line.

Anzan and the other Lancers, joined by several from Kasen’s position began taking off in a run towards the Terran position in the four story building. At the same time, machine gun positions overlooking the field due south of it opened up on Khornan’s group as they advanced.

“Keep moving forward through the machine gun fire! We got to get to the building!” Khornan yelled as several Lancers to his left and right were cut down. Still he kept his pace running forward towards his destination.

Anzan followed close behind fully clutching his now unslung A-4 particle rifle tightly in both hands. Like Khornan he too kept up his pace running the gamut of machine gun fire through the field. At the same time, several rocket artillery rounds directed at the field itself began impacting one by one. One round slammed to the left of the Lancer ahead of Anzan blowing him over to the right and severing his left leg. Anzan quickly jumped over the downed Lancer and kept going. Another round impacted behind him.

A 90mm particle bolt from the Kappa on the left road impacted the second floor corner of the Terran strongpoint blowing a large hole out of the building while at the lead of the formation Khornan was getting close, a brick barricade adorning the side of the street in front of the building was now less than fifty meters away from him. Just behind Khornan, Anzan caught sight of a Kasha IFV advancing on the building over to his right on the north bound road. Two more rocket artillery rounds impacted near him, one engulfing a pair of Lancers to his left while he heard machine gun fire cut down three more Lancers behind him. At the same moment another Javelin missile popped up from the top of the building flying up towards the sky before coming back down on the Kappa on the road destroying it. Finally making it to the brick barricade, Anzan ducked behind it as cover to catch a quick breath. Several more Lancers quickly followed behind with several more just behind them.

The Kasha on the right came to a stop by the corner before training its gun on the first floor of the building and opening fire with its 40mm autocannon firing multiple particle bolts into the Terran defenders behind the windows. Several small explosions burst from the walls as the Kasha’s fire hit the facade.

“Lord Kasen, we’re at the base of the strongpoint. Begin moving your division up, we’re heading inside.” Khornan quickly radioed before turning to the surviving Lancers around him huddled at the brick wall. “We can’t stay here, the Kasha’s got them suppressed for now, but it’s a drat killzone behind us. There’s no choice now but to get inside and clear them out.”

• Locked thread