Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Also: Staff of the Ram, Staff of Magi, Ravager, Impaler, Ixil's Spike are all pretty good and 2-handed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Smol posted:

I'd say that dual wielding isn't always better, because Carsomyr.

Purifier is basically one-handed Carsomyr. :v: Agreed on Ixil's Spike, though, it owns hugely and the pin damage will destroy every caster. Too bad about it being a spear, which is worthless
Anyway, mod update. I wanted to get all of this in v5 but I didn't really have the time and concentrated on the stuff that could make it into Vorgen's LP!

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Purifier is basically one-handed Carsomyr. :v: Agreed on Ixil's Spike, though, it owns hugely and the pin damage will destroy every caster. Too bad about it being a spear, which is worthless
Anyway, mod update. I wanted to get all of this in v5 but I didn't really have the time and concentrated on the stuff that could make it into Vorgen's LP!

Does Purifier Dispel on hit?

What's wrong with spears? There is a pretty good path for them in BG2. Spear of the Unicorn is a solid solo item, and once you get Impaler it's off to the races. Ixil's Spike is probably the most powerful offensive weapon you can have at the very start of ToB.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

amanasleep posted:

Does Purifier Dispel on hit?

well no but
You need to get through WK/Underdark to get any spear better than +3, at which point you're mostly done with the game. So you either go with lovely weapons you can't hurt lots of enemies with, or you get the strongest weapon (Ixil's) at the start and then there's no progression :geno: There still aren't as bad as bastard swords, where all of the good swords are tuckered in the Underdark or Watcher's Keep.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You're not forced to stick with just one weapon type. I start Jaheira with the blackblood club then switch her to spears once I get the impaler.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

well no but
You need to get through WK/Underdark to get any spear better than +3, at which point you're mostly done with the game. So you either go with lovely weapons you can't hurt lots of enemies with, or you get the strongest weapon (Ixil's) at the start and then there's no progression :geno: There still aren't as bad as bastard swords, where all of the good swords are tuckered in the Underdark or Watcher's Keep.

Do you really need any spear better than +3 before WK/UD? The biggest problem with spears is Chapter 2 and 3, where you basically only can get +2 or +3 vanilla 2-H weapons, which is not optimal for most builds. Very good second weapon for a Paladin or Barbarian 2-H build (Start with 2-H Swords, Joril's Dagger and Lilarcor, then switch to Spears in Chapter 4 and either don't look back or switch to Carsomyr, Silver Sword, or Gram as necessary). Spears are great for a solo single class Druid.

Purifier and Carsomyr do not fill the same role at all. Carsomyr is useful mostly for its Dispel on hit ability, which is key to many fights. The MR is useful but not essential and the damage is OK. Purifier is typically best as an off-hand MR booster and is otherwise not very interesting in WK/ToB. It's also pretty hard to justify Purifier over Foebane.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

fong posted:

I'd go for 2H swords even in BG1. You can switch easily between 2H and bow (unlike sword&shield and a bow) and one of the best weapons in BG1 is a 2H sword. Then the downright best weapon in BG2 is a 2H sword.
In BG1 Spider's Bane is a great weapon and is a 2H sword. I think it's the only item that gives you freedom of movement and also allows Haste and Boots of Speed to work.

Dual wielding is always stronger.
A second weapon does have the advantage that it can be used to give you good passive abilities (e.g. the strength from Crom Fayer or the damage resistance of Defender of Easthaven). The extra attack probably doesn't matter so much I think. Once a character starts getting High Level Abilities though, the Improved Wirlwind Attack helps make up for the lower number of attacks. And 2-handed weapons are effectively twice as likely to crit since the 2-handed weapon proficiency lets you crit on a 19.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Factor_VIII posted:

A second weapon does have the advantage that it can be used to give you good passive abilities (e.g. the strength from Crom Fayer or the damage resistance of Defender of Easthaven). The extra attack probably doesn't matter so much I think. Once a character starts getting High Level Abilities though, the Improved Wirlwind Attack helps make up for the lower number of attacks. And 2-handed weapons are effectively twice as likely to crit since the 2-handed weapon proficiency lets you crit on a 19.

The most important passive ability from dual wielding is the +1 APR you get from Belm or Kundane. With these weapons off-hand dual wielding is definitely superior in the early game, particularly combined with weapons that have powerful on hit effects, like Flail of the Ages and Celestial Fury.

Two handed weapons are very useful though, especially for solo players, because they actually have increased range over most one handed weapons, which means that if you have superior move speed and weapon speed you can use them to move and strike melee enemies without risking retaliation.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 4, 2014

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
If Single and Two-Handed weapon styles gave additional 1/2 or 1 APR it would practically eliminate dual wield domination. I think it's moddable with the BG2:EE 1.2 patch, and some vanilla mods like ItemRevision nerf Belm/Kuldane down to 1/2 APR.

Factor_VIII posted:

In BG1 Spider's Bane is a great weapon and is a 2H sword. I think it's the only item that gives you freedom of movement and also allows Haste and Boots of Speed to work.

DW is +2 APR with Imp. Haste, or +4 APR if using an APR offhand. Imp. Haste also lets a fighter use the Critical Strike HLA for 10 APR 100% hit/crit, which is better than a GWW 2-hander except against things immune to +2 weapons (it's still possible to get 9 APR without an APR offhand in ToB).

Corvinus fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 4, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Corvinus posted:

If Single and Two-Handed weapon styles gave additional 1/2 or 1 APR it would practically eliminate dual wield domination. I think it's moddable with the BG2:EE 1.2 patch, and some vanilla mods like ItemRevision nerf Belm/Kuldane down to 1/2 APR.

DW is +2 APR with Imp. Haste, or +4 APR if using an APR offhand. Imp. Haste also lets a fighter use the Critical Strike HLA for 10 APR 100% hit/crit, which is better than a GWW 2-hander except against things immune to +2 weapons (it's still possible to get 9 APR without an APR offhand in ToB).

There are only a few 2H weapons that are worth it at top level (usually because of powerful on-hit effects): Ravager, Carsomyr, Ixil, Gram, Silver Sword and Soul Reaver (occasionally). With GWW, these weapons are very comparable to dual wielding setups and in many cases even superior.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

amanasleep posted:

There are only a few 2H weapons that are worth it at top level (usually because of powerful on-hit effects): Ravager, Carsomyr, Ixil, Gram, Silver Sword and Soul Reaver (occasionally). With GWW, these weapons are very comparable to dual wielding setups and in many cases even superior.

Technically, best weapon to GWW with is FoA +5, which isn't a two-hander. Otherwise it's generally true to GWW with certain two-handers, unless the enemies aren't immune to critical hits, then Imp. Hasted dual wield w/ Critical Strike wins by a large margin.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'm assuming that Ascension isn't happening at this point, correct? The official-ish thread that I've found has it being run by one guy as of April, and he's working on a bunch of modular stuff and new content (oh boy oh boy). Feature creep's a pretty good indication that a project's never getting done.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

netcat posted:

Anyone have experience of items just disappearing from your inventory in BG2:EE? I just noticed my amulet of metaspell influence was missing from my PC and I'm pretty sure I never unequipped it

Have you been fighting Nishruus? I believe they have some stupid ability to destroy magic items on hit.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I've just installed a pack of scripts for BG2:EE to change the behavior of my party during combat. I didn't even know scripts like this existed...is there anything I should know about utilizing scripts in general, and mod scripts in particular?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

sebzilla posted:

Have you been fighting Nishruus? I believe they have some stupid ability to destroy magic items on hit.

Maybe, I can't remember. I noticed it after the fight vs Irenicus in Spellhold.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008

netcat posted:

Maybe, I can't remember. I noticed it after the fight vs Irenicus in Spellhold.

Have the characters with missing items died (and then been resurrected) recently? When characters die their inventory annoyingly drops and you could have forgotten to pick something up.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

That's kind of the point of Carsomyr, it murders mages who don't have PfMW

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
On 2handers vs 1handers, a lot of you are forgetting the existence of Keldorn who, as an inquisitor, is basically the best vehicle for Carsomyr in BG2.

After that, the discussion is really what the second(and possibly third) best weapons are for your PC.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

jneer posted:

On 2handers vs 1handers, a lot of you are forgetting the existence of Keldorn who, as an inquisitor, is basically the best vehicle for Carsomyr in BG2.

After that, the discussion is really what the second(and possibly third) best weapons are for your PC.

I think a lot of this discussion centers around how to optimize solo builds. In a party, you can basically carry all of the good weapons in the game.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I assume all the patches and fixes aren't needed for BG2 if you have the Enhanced Edition?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The Enhanced Edition fixes a lot of BG2's bugs but adds some new bugs of its own. Hope you don't like using the Slayer. And bring Keldorn to Aerie's tent if you're playing on iPad.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I like using Slayer and am still super mad about this whole thing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

amanasleep posted:

I think a lot of this discussion centers around how to optimize solo builds. In a party, you can basically carry all of the good weapons in the game.

If we're talking solo builds you can't really beat Staff of the Magi.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

fighter/mage with staff of the magi, ring of gaxx, ring of wizardry, robe of venca, amulet of power, belt of whatever str, cloak of mirroring, circlet of nethril, did I miss anything?

edit: boots of speed

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

If we're talking solo builds you can't really beat Staff of the Magi.

Unless you want to do melee damage or are playing a class that can't use it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

amanasleep posted:

Unless you want to do melee damage or are playing a class that can't use it.

On the other hand the damage difference isn't that big if you want to do melee damage and all the things it does is huge.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
Is the invisibility innate on the Staff of the Magi a permanent effect, or do you need to unequip/requip the staff every time you do something that would dispel a regular invisibility spell?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Staff of the Magi is awesome for Thieves (once they get Use Any Item). Equip them with boots of speed as well and have them use regular stealth to sneak up to an enemy for backstab, then the second the thief becomes visible swap to the staff to become invisible and run away. The enemies won't even be able to launch a single attack. Once out of sight, the thief can switch to a good backstab weapon, stealth again and repeat the process until everything is dead.

Draile posted:

Is the invisibility innate on the Staff of the Magi a permanent effect, or do you need to unequip/requip the staff every time you do something that would dispel a regular invisibility spell?
You need to reequip it.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well yesterday after posting my idea for ideal staff of the magi use I made my Mage/fighter and went solo through everything until spell hold where I gained a new party member. Things were going very well I had gotten ring of wizardy robe of Vecna the amulet of power early on and loaded was using a quarterstaff +2 fore my heavy lifting until I could get staff of the rynn. Once I got that I grabbed Jan to be on trap duty where I proceed to knock out a series of lichs netting me ring of gas which was most beloved for not needing to use potions to heal. Sadly Jan got turned to stone retrieving the staff of the magi and I had no means to restore him. After I got this set of gear the rest of the game was pretty much a walk. I hit epic level by the time I met mook and every fight was trivial. Staff of the magi absolutely destroyed everyone. Catching up to more recent times I was clearing out the under dark when I was hit by a nasty bug that prevented the drow quest line from proceeding. Forced to kill the silver dragon to have a chance to continue my game really bummed me out. I was trying to be a good person and that felt awful. Overall Mage fighter with the staff of the magi rocks your socks.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

The Iron Rose posted:

Well those are absolutely terrible stats, but heck you can make anything work.

Seriously those are horrible stats reroll a few times. you also don't need bow and missile weapons proficiency. choose one or the other, as they don't stack. I recommend going with specializations.

Still, the game's easy enough you can make anything work, especially with equipment so honestly do whatever you want!

Well I was trying to make a character who could primarily use ranged attacks (bows) and also be able to cast some area effect spells early. Am I trying to do too much/spreading myself too thin?

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 9, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Well those are absolutely terrible stats, but heck you can make anything work.

Seriously those are horrible stats reroll a few times. you also don't need bow and missile weapons proficiency. choose one or the other, as they don't stack. I recommend going with specializations.

Still, the game's easy enough you can make anything work, especially with equipment so honestly do whatever you want!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Aww, you edited the stats out.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Withdrawal Plans posted:

Well I was trying to make a character who could primarily use ranged attacks (bows) and also be able to cast some area effect spells early. Am I trying to do too much/spreading myself too thin?

Stats don't matter all that much, and that type of character is actually kinda perfect for BG1. Basically just go with the flow and do= what's fun. If I might make a recommendation, use sleep early and often. Direct Damage spells are fun as heck but you won't have very many of them at low levels.

For stats, if you're going to melee you want 18. Lower is possible but I wouldn't go below 16. however, again, it doesn't matter much since there are a few statboosters and various belts of giant strength.

Dexterity should be 18 if you're a missile user. I don't recall if the gloves of dexterity are in BGI, but either way it's worth it to have high dex. Constitution should be either 16 or 18. Intelligence can be 17, I don't recall if EE mechanics require casters to have high Int. Wisdom and Charisma can be whatever, I don't like reducing them below ten for RPing purposes but you need a dumb stat somewhere.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Aww, you edited the stats out.

It was like 13 in strength, 16 dex, 16 int, 11 everywhere else.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Withdrawal Plans posted:

Are you trying to make a Fighter/Mage in BG1? Bowman with spells should work well. You can avoid wearing armor if you stay away from enemies, enabling you to cast spells freely, and due to the open nature of the game and the low health enemies have bows are extremely effective. Elves work well since they get a 19 Dex and bonuses to hit with bows.

For a ranged attacker, maxing out Dex and Int makes sense (you need a 19 Int to be able to learn all the spells, though that can be sidestepped with Int-raising potions). An 18 Str could be useful as well, since you need it to use Composite Longbows. Spend points on Con as well since enemies won't always behave and may decide to engage you in melee (and with your low AC you will get hit). Spells such as Mage Armor and Mirror Image (and later Spirit Armor or Stoneskin) can mitigate that, but would require more frequent resting to have them on at all times.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Intelligence can be 17, I don't recall if EE mechanics require casters to have high Int.

EE does in fact require enough INT to cast spells not just learn them.

Actually maybe it doesnt? Unless that is something I modded out. Nevermind disregard this post.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
If I want to play all the party NPC quests, can I just go around picking up NPCs, doing their various quests, and then drop them off? Do I have to do all that stuff before chapter 2 ends?

And btw, is chapter 2 the longest part of the game?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You can, the quests can also be done once you return to the city in chapter... 6 iirc. Chapter 2 is the longest in terms of side-quests, but pretty short in terms of main storyline.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
A friend who owed me for a couple of lunches just gifted me with BG2EE. I never played that game. I played IWD and BGEE, so I'm not a total newbie but I also don't know all the subtleties of ADD 2.0. I usually can't bring myself to play an evil character (since in these days evil characters seemed to be a bit too much of a caricature for my taste).

What character and party do I want to maximize my game experience? I was thinking one of the Paladin sub-classes. Any tips?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Furism posted:

A friend who owed me for a couple of lunches just gifted me with BG2EE. I never played that game. I played IWD and BGEE, so I'm not a total newbie but I also don't know all the subtleties of ADD 2.0. I usually can't bring myself to play an evil character (since in these days evil characters seemed to be a bit too much of a caricature for my taste).

What character and party do I want to maximize my game experience? I was thinking one of the Paladin sub-classes. Any tips?

Inquisitor is by far the best paladin kit, other than that,just take the characters you like along the way, make sure you have at least one (preferably 2) mage(s), and if you get stuck ask in here for help.

Edit:Oh yeah, if it's your first time, keep Yoshimo with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
That's an easy one, Inquisitor is the best paladin sub-class. They have True Sight which dispels illusions and a Dispel Magic that is cast at double strength i.e. works 90% of the time. Combine this with the best weapon in the game, which happens to be a paladin-only two-handed sword and you're set. The only thing that might sway you to a different Paladin subclass is that an NPC called Keldorn is also an Inquisitor and can do everything I said above. Nothing wrong with stacking Inquisitors though.

The main thing to keep in mind as far as NPCs go in BG2 is that spellcasters are extremely strong. Mages in BG1 and IWD never come close to the kind of apocalyptic poo poo they can do in BG2. Don't stack your group with too many physical damage-dealers.