Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I wonder what Europe looked like before WWII :smith:
Southern, Western, and Northern Europe only had 1 million Jews in 1933, and Poland alone had more Jews than every country to the west put together, so any difference in terms of #2 religion is probably more down to Muslim immigration since then than the Holocaust. Assuming no Holocaust and the Jews remaining the same proportion of the population, Islam would still be 3.5 times larger today with its 44 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pakled posted:

Second-largest religion in each country.

Is this just going off citizens? I would guess Hinduism is the biggest in the UAE, aren't Indian immigrants like twice the population of actual citizens or something?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Is this just going off citizens? I would guess Hinduism is the biggest in the UAE, aren't Indian immigrants like twice the population of actual citizens or something?

The Indians who go to the UAE are mostly Muslim.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Pakled posted:

It's bizarre that they went with the "others" label for Zambia since it is the only country that uses the color. It'd make much more sense to have just labelled it Baha'i.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

fermun posted:

It's bizarre that they went with the "others" label for Zambia since it is the only country that uses the color. It'd make much more sense to have just labelled it Baha'i.
It looks like there are a couple of tiny islands in the Pacific that use it too.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Pakled posted:

Burma should definitely be Islam. The junta there hated the Muslims and stripped many of them of their citizenship and altered all the stats to pretend Islam was irrelevant (ah Buddhism, you religion of peace and tolerance). The official stats say Islam and Christianity share about 4% each but Muslim leaders say Islam could be as high as 20% and Christian leaders say 4% sounds about right so it's almost certainly Islam.

God I went for a week and now I think I'm an expert :(

edit: lol Australias third, fourth and fifth are Islam > Hindu > Jedi

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 9, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

East Asia look really weird, I guess because it's too syncretic and just going by what people identify as. If Shinto is number 2, what's number 1? Buddhism? They kinda practice a Shinto-Buddhism, where shrines and temples usually have temples and shrines in them respectively.

And then Korea, China, Taiwan and Vietnam with Buddhism as number 2 looks really weird. I guess you've got more people identifying as Taoist or Confucian or Folk Religion? I mean there's more Buddhist temples and pagodas than any other places of worship in those countries. And is Mexico's number 2 also Buddhism? That's surprising. These maps are hard for me with colorblindness.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Korea's right, Christianity is the largest with Buddhism just a bit behind it. No religion is the largest group by far but I'm assuming that map is ignoring that category.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea's right, Christianity is the largest with Buddhism just a bit behind it. No religion is the largest group by far but I'm assuming that map is ignoring that category.

I assume that only works if you bundle Catholicism with Christianity, which most Asians don't.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

I assume that only works if you bundle Catholicism with Christianity, which most Asians don't.

Maybe the map wasn't made by an Asian :shrug:

(Of course Roman catholicism is literally satan so they're right.)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Why?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I believe its a joke on the general attitude between the two groups. Catholics officially believe they don't have a monopoly on salvation and small-sect evangelical protestants believe Catholics worship the virgin mary and are funded by Satan themself.

You'd think they'd be more polite after Catholics helped increase Italian American trade what with the direct tunnel dug between the Vatican and the Whitehouse back in the 60s.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

You'd think they'd be more polite after Catholics helped increase Italian American trade what with the direct tunnel dug between the Vatican and the Whitehouse back in the 60s.

Why would Asians care about Italian American trade?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Why do they not treat them as aspects of the same religion? I think it goes back to Catholicism's early history with Mateo Ricci and the other Jesuits in China. They brought Catholicism as 天主教, "The Religion of the Heavenly Lord." They packaged it in a way that would make it fit more into East Asian syncretism, sometimes going as far as to dress themselves in orange robes but generally making it fit into the contemporary cultural and religious landscape.

When evangelical protestants showed up in the 19th century, they brought 基督教, "The Religion of Christ," so it was from the get-go known by a completely different name (as it remains today), and was packaged as a foreign, modern thing that could make your life better in lovely 19th century colonial Asia. It was also a gateway to the ruling colonial class, at least in British-controlled China.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Perhaps that's why, but it doesn't explain why the idea that Catholicism isn't 'really' Christianity is a globally widespread one. In my experience, the attitude comes more from the evangelical side, and there's a bunch of excuses about 'worshipping saints as much as Jesus', 'having a different bible' (which is a straight-up falsehood) or 'treating the pope like he's God, like the Roman Emperors' (evangelicals really love playing up the Roman element of Catholicism). It's very prominent in the US (helpfully packaged with some anti-Hispanic racism, because those wetbacks don't worship White Jesus) but I've seen it across the western world, including here in Australia, so it doesn't surprise me that the rising Christian populations in parts of Asia are having some of the same old fights.

I'd really underestimated the degree to which this occurred until recently. When I ran for office earlier this year, I attended a forum/debate hosted by the Australian Christian Lobby, where I mentioned that I'd grown up in a deeply Catholic family and attended church all through my childhood. A few people recoiled almost in disgust and one of the hosts told me later that Catholicism wasn't really Christianity, and nothing I could say to him about the similarities could convince him.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tony Jowns posted:

Perhaps that's why, but it doesn't explain why the idea that Catholicism isn't 'really' Christianity is a globally widespread one. In my experience, the attitude comes more from the evangelical side, and there's a bunch of excuses about 'worshipping saints as much as Jesus', 'having a different bible' (which is a straight-up falsehood) or 'treating the pope like he's God, like the Roman Emperors' (evangelicals really love playing up the Roman element of Catholicism). It's very prominent in the US (helpfully packaged with some anti-Hispanic racism, because those wetbacks don't worship White Jesus) but I've seen it across the western world, including here in Australia, so it doesn't surprise me that the rising Christian populations in parts of Asia are having some of the same old fights.

I'd really underestimated the degree to which this occurred until recently. When I ran for office earlier this year, I attended a forum/debate hosted by the Australian Christian Lobby, where I mentioned that I'd grown up in a deeply Catholic family and attended church all through my childhood. A few people recoiled almost in disgust and one of the hosts told me later that Catholicism wasn't really Christianity, and nothing I could say to him about the similarities could convince him.

Nah it's just all the child-rape :tipshat:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tony Jowns posted:

Catholicism is polytheism.

(I would not be surprised if the idea of Catholicism not being Christianity was at least as old as Protestantism.)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tony Jowns posted:

Wow, I never heard of such a thing. Probably because the Lutheran Church is not too far away from the Catholic Church. US style evangelicals can be really crazy.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, attending a Catholic school as a kid, I basically learned that Protestants and Catholics were the two different "branches" of Christianity, where Catholics kept following the chain of authority passed down through the ages from Jesus Christ himself, while Protestants decided they hated rules and wanted to make up their own way to follow christ. So it's "two branches" where one is the real branch and the other is the one that wandered off but is still partly right.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bloodnose posted:

In any case Catholicism is a Christian religion. I'm sure some Catholics don't recognize Protestants as Christians.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Hell when John Kennedy was elected president in 1960 he was seen as being a "papist" who would sell us off to the vatican. Kind of how Obama is gonna impose sharia law (except obama isn't actually muslim)

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

What about Orthodox? Are they also not Christian since they too have saints?

Peanut President posted:

Kind of how Obama is gonna impose sharia law (except obama isn't actually muslim)

That's because Kenyans are mostly Christian :v:

Kurtofan posted:

In any case Catholicism is a Christian religion. I'm sure some Catholics don't recognize Protestants as Christians.

I never heard any Catholic saying this. The worst thing I heard was that Protestantism is a sect.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Kurtofan posted:

No, I'm fairly certain all Catholics do. They might think of Protestants as WRONG Christians, but Catholics almost universally consider Lutheranism, Orthodoxy, Anglicanism... Different flavors of Christianity, rather than outright different religions.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'm surprised there are so many Mexican Buddhists. I figured that it would be either Islam or folk religions like the rest of Latin America, is there a significant Buddhist tradition in Mexico or is it mostly recent converts like those found in the US?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'd imagine they are either immigrants or the number of non Christians is so small the second largest religion isn't really that large.

Edit: Just checked and if Wikipedia is to be believed there are only about 110,000 Mexican Buddhists.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pakled posted:

I wonder what kind of folk religion they have in Iceland, I thought they were pretty much 100% European stock. Old Norse religion?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Torrannor posted:

I wonder what kind of folk religion they have in Iceland, I thought they were pretty much 100% European stock. Old Norse religion?

"From the 1970s, there has been a revival of Norse paganism in Iceland. As of 2014, the Ásatrúarfélagið had 2382 registered members, corresponding to 0.7% of the total population."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Iceland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81satr%C3%BAarf%C3%A9lagi%C3%B0

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

Kennel posted:

"From the 1970s, there has been a revival of Norse paganism in Iceland. As of 2014, the Ásatrúarfélagið had 2382 registered members, corresponding to 0.7% of the total population."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Iceland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81satr%C3%BAarf%C3%A9lagi%C3%B0

Yeah when they don't count nonbelievers as a seperate faction it results in some very small movements being second in highly homogenous countries. I feel like if atheists were counted at least one country in Nortwest Europe would show that, but I'm not sure if that's right or where it is. Sweden?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

oldswitcheroo posted:

Yeah when they don't count nonbelievers as a seperate faction it results in some very small movements being second in highly homogenous countries. I feel like if atheists were counted at least one country in Nortwest Europe would show that, but I'm not sure if that's right or where it is. Sweden?

Estonia would turn red. They're overwhelmingly atheist. Christianity would be distant second.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

oldswitcheroo posted:

Depends how you ask the question. "I believe there is a God" and "I believe there is some sort of spirit or life force" gives different results. People who believe there is a life force may not define themselves as atheist even though they technically are. Some people also feel they're not atheists because they think it means giving a massive poo poo about non-belief and other people being religious.

Anyway the numbers are all on Eurobarometer (p.381).

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Use one of the broader definitions of "atheist" it's entirely possible that Sweden would show up with christianity as the #2 belief.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bloodnose posted:

Why do they not treat them as aspects of the same religion? I think it goes back to Catholicism's early history with Mateo Ricci and the other Jesuits in China. They brought Catholicism as 天主教, "The Religion of the Heavenly Lord." They packaged it in a way that would make it fit more into East Asian syncretism, sometimes going as far as to dress themselves in orange robes but generally making it fit into the contemporary cultural and religious landscape.

When evangelical protestants showed up in the 19th century, they brought 基督教, "The Religion of Christ," so it was from the get-go known by a completely different name (as it remains today), and was packaged as a foreign, modern thing that could make your life better in lovely 19th century colonial Asia. It was also a gateway to the ruling colonial class, at least in British-controlled China.

This is similar in Korea, Catholicism arrived with the Jesuits and was persecuted away, and then later American missionaries came with crazy evangelical Protestantism and that took off bigtime in Korea. The two have entirely different names and most Koreans consider Protestants to be Christians and Catholics to be a different thing. Statistics don't care about that and put all the Jesusers in one box, which gives Christianity #1 status in Korea, with Buddhism following a few percent behind. Nonbelievers/other make up approximately half the country.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Disco Infiva posted:

What about Orthodox? Are they also not Christian since they too have saints?
Hey now, we can only parse one schism at a time. Get outta here with your fancy book learnin' and history and whatnot.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tony Jowns posted:

You're surprised that there's an anti-Catholic bias in predominantly Protestant countries?

It's funny because where I live Catholicism and Christianity are used as interchangeable terms and people are barely aware Protestantism is a thing. I know I've posted this before, but I once had to correct my mother when she said Bush Jr. was 'ultra-catholic' (she was trying to call him a typically American religious zealot). People just lack that sort of theological awareness, let alone any kind of animosity towards other denominations. I think I'd find it really disconcerting to live in a place where people actually care about poo poo like this. Is this the seventeenth century? It's so absurd it's hard to get offended over it.
Uh, I'm going to stop now before I get accused of being an obnoxious Reddit atheist.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Anyone who claims that the adherents of the Roman Papacy are Christian are the most insane heretics and ingrafters of heretical perversity. For is it not true that these villains, murderers, thieves, and renouncers of Christ practice that abominable abomination of idolatry, the consumption of the false bread god?

The Italian War of 1542-6 (Northern Front):

Franco-Ottoman Siege of Nice:

The Schmalkaldic War:

Battle of Mühlberg:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Phlegmish posted:

You're surprised that there's an anti-Catholic bias in predominantly Protestant countries?

It's funny because where I live Catholicism and Christianity are used as interchangeable terms and people are barely aware Protestantism is a thing. I know I've posted this before, but I once had to correct my mother when she said Bush Jr. was 'ultra-catholic' (she was trying to call him a typically American religious zealot). People just lack that sort of theological awareness, let alone any kind of animosity towards other denominations. I think I'd find it really disconcerting to live in a place where people actually care about poo poo like this. Is this the seventeenth century? It's so absurd it's hard to get offended over it.
Uh, I'm going to stop now before I get accused of being an obnoxious Reddit atheist.

I don't think it's being "an obnoxious Reddit atheist" to expect religious tolerance

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 9, 2014

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Some time ago, I came across this collection of anti-Catholic KKK political cartoons from the 1920s. It's pretty, uh, interesting.

This would have a very different message nowadays.

Uh, so, the Catholic Church wants to keep the Bible out of public schools?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Phlegmish posted:

I'd hardly call Australia (where sources disagree as to whether Protestant or Catholic is the bigger denomination, clearly it seems to be a matter of both semantics and which year the census occurred) 'predominantly' Protestant, and that's the biggest source of information I used in that post.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Pakled posted:

Uh, so, the Catholic Church wants to keep the Bible out of public schools?

Probably a fight over whether the Bible would be in English or Latin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Old James posted:

Probably a fight over whether the Bible would be in English or Latin.
The Catholics also place much less emphasis on the Bible - not that they say it isn't holy or true so much as that they don't practically worship it in a single English translation the way a lot of the wacky American protestant groups do.