Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Sir Rabia Tirnova posted:

New friendly jordies out.

Can't link - on phone, it's great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj3hZ4p7GQs

yep - its pretty good

Unfortunately he's too over the top to send to lovely tories because they will stop watching before he actually gets to the facts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They're the ones saying it (huge grain of salt, obviously). I cut out some of the petty sniping at Fairfax.

Sharri loving Marskon (Australian) posted:

For the first time in The Australian’s history, it is returning a ­profit digitally and, in a number of weeks this year, The Australian newspaper has been profitable.

Speaking on a panel at the Mumbrella 360 conference, to mark the newspaper’s 50th anniv­ersary, Mr Mitchell said there was no reason to walk away from print when The Australian was bringing in $50 million a year in cover-price revenue.

"So if I think really hard about why I would walk away from that $50m, it’s pretty hard to come up with an answer, isn’t it?" he said.

"We’ve been quite aggressive on cover price. We’ve taken it from $1.10 to $2.20 now and we’ve been very aggressive with the price on Saturday. The circulation has been quite robust."

Significantly, The Australian newspaper’s circulation has only dropped by about 10 per cent in the past decade while other mastheads have fallen by up to half.

The Australian’s chief executive, Nicholas Gray, said the newspaper had never reached more people and was now engaging with three million readers a month. "We are very optimistic about print for a long time to come," he said.

"Three of our four revenue streams are now in growth. In print, we are putting through print cover-price rises that are offsetting print-volume declines; digital advertising and digital subscriptions are growing; and the hope is that all of that is enough to offset the declining print advertising, which media buyers are starting to say has been oversold a bit."

The Australian now has 62,000 paying digital subscribers — a number that was steadily growing, Mr Gray said. Customers were spending 15-20 minutes on the iPad edition, compared with minutes on its website, and there was no “price-driven cliff” when the free four-week trial was over.

“What heartens us about the economics is we believe we can grow the price over time,’’ Mr Gray said. “We are now charging $6 a week for digital-only and $12 a week for a digital bundle.

He said Fairfax’s yield per digit­al subscriber was significantly lower than News Corp’s, with indications that it was about $1.30 a week for some Fairfax newspapers compared with The Australian, which is about $6.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They're the ones saying it (huge grain of salt, obviously). I cut out some of the petty sniping at Fairfax.
Looks like Rupe got the shits with everyone calling it a loss maker and ghosted in a bunch of subscriptions. Either that or he really is a media genius.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

This is really loving depressing to read just FYI

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Profitable for a number of weeks this year, what an amazing achievement.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cartoon posted:

Looks like Rupe got the shits with everyone calling it a loss maker and ghosted in a bunch of subscriptions. Either that or he really is a media genius.

The preferred term is "visionary".

I think they realised that they can charge their small, rich audience a lot more than they were, especially on digital stuff. They could definitely be massaging the figures, of course.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Only a 10% decline in circulation* over the last decade, when the population's increased 17-18% in the same time. Definitely something to boast about!

*which they can boost by dumping them in hotels, airports and so on.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For the first time in The Australian’s history, it is returning a ­profit digitally and, in a number of weeks this year, The Australian newspaper has been profitable.

Haha, nope. What this means is that their digital subscriptions made money (which is obvious, since web hosting is much cheaper than paper printing and distribution and all of their articled staff would count towards the publishing arm, not the digital).

And profitable for several weeks in a year? So are almost all companies, even ones that implode hilariously.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

Haters Objector posted:

I'm more than happy for a lovable buffoon to take the place of another soulless, Identikit Party Man

He is an Independant, answerable to noone, who literally holds the deciding vote in the Australian Senate. Just think of all the people in the country you would rather have in that position than Ricky Muir, who's using that power to just give the vote to Clive Palmer in exchange for free flights and probably a new ute or something.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mr Chips posted:

Only a 10% decline in circulation* over the last decade, when the population's increased 17-18% in the same time. Definitely something to boast about!
Newspaper circulation across the board is in the shitter though. If they're turning a profit while that's happening then they're doing better than others. Fairfax's newspapers aren't in a great shape, and the only reason stuff like the Guardian exist is because they've got a massive pile of investments that exist solely to fund a business that runs at a loss.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man there's a picture to go with it now.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

SynthOrange posted:

Oh man there's a picture to go with it now.

"this man bores me, remove him from my presense"

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Quasimango posted:

He is an Independant, answerable to noone, who literally holds the deciding vote in the Australian Senate. Just think of all the people in the country you would rather have in that position than Ricky Muir, who's using that power to just give the vote to Clive Palmer in exchange for free flights and probably a new ute or something.

I would much rather have the chaos of Clive Palmer, who is occasionally right about some things, than some ALP/LNP hack who is always wrong about everything.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Newspaper circulation across the board is in the shitter though. If they're turning a profit while that's happening then they're doing better than others. Fairfax's newspapers aren't in a great shape, and the only reason stuff like the Guardian exist is because they've got a massive pile of investments that exist solely to fund a business that runs at a loss.

They're not profitable, though, so it's a fairly moot point.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
steve fielding

paulin hanson

sophie mirabella

sulla-marius 88

bob carr

brian harradine

off the top of my head, five recent parliamentarians who have been far worse than ricky "roo poo" muir and thats without even delving into the Howard govt

plumpy hole lever fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 9, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Chris Pynes Knob posted:

steve fielding

paulin hanson

sophie mirabella

bob carr

brian harradine

off the top of my head, five recent parliamentarians who have been far worse than ricky "roo poo" muir and thats without even delving into the Howard govt

On the other hand, Muir's not even a Senator yet.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

Doctor Spaceman posted:

On the other hand, Muir's not even a Senator yet.

i dont think he'll do anythign particularly horrific like vote to outlaw abortion or execute homosexuals

but then again every single time ive been optimistic about anything to do with politics in the last five years my hopes are ground into dust

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Quite frankly I might almost be more optimistic about a nobody thrown into politics and having to learn all this poo poo from scratch than I am about preconditioned assholes who've been doing it for a career.

But he'll probably just give up, throw everything to Palmer and refuse all interviews until he's out because having to think is hard.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Murodese posted:

They're not profitable, though, so it's a fairly moot point.

I don't think the Australian has ever been profitable in is existence has it? It's Murdoch's baby though, I think it's the only one he started and didn't acquire.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
The state of Australian Politics:

Is some random dude better or equal to our current governing parties.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

MikeJF posted:

Quite frankly I might almost be more optimistic about a nobody thrown into politics and having to learn all this poo poo from scratch than I am about preconditioned assholes who've been doing it for a career.

But he'll probably just give up, throw everything to Palmer and refuse all interviews until he's out because having to think is hard.

I seriously reckon there's a 15, 20% chance he tops himself and no greater than 50% chance that he actually serves out his full term

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Nibbles141 posted:

I don't think the Australian has ever been profitable in is existence has it? It's Murdoch's baby though, I think it's the only one he started and didn't acquire.

Didn't you hear? There were some weeks recently where revenues exceeded expenses. Weeks!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mr Chips posted:

Didn't you hear? There were some weeks recently where revenues exceeded expenses. Weeks!

Which for a newspaper in Australia is kinda surprising.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKr9xUtMUhY

Tony stinks, pass it on.

Disclaimer(for the Medical spaceman among us): Not really news

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Dogfucker is on media watch.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Which for a newspaper in Australia is kinda surprising.

They probably just negotiated longer payment terms with their creditors.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Zenithe posted:

The state of Australian Politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV4N2dk0cMk

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I was waiting for Jane Goodall and Rosalie to facepalm Racist Grandpa to death, but alas. :(

Still, if looks could kill... Man, what a swine that guy is.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Much as I love to poo poo on tones, my mind boggles that people are latching onto a slip of the tongue when he has said far more, far worse, deliberately.

If the only reason you stop supporting the Liberals is because you laughed at his Canadia slip, are you worse than disillusioned Liberals?

~~

I don't think the elderly care industry is going to get bigger or exactly more profitable, rather, that people will stop giving a poo poo about the old.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Didn't someone predict a leadership spill for Monday?

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

xutech posted:

Much as I love to poo poo on tones, my mind boggles that people are latching onto a slip of the tongue when he has said far more, far worse, deliberately.

If the only reason you stop supporting the Liberals is because you laughed at his Canadia slip, are you worse than disillusioned Liberals?

~~

I don't think the elderly care industry is going to get bigger or exactly more profitable, rather, that people will stop giving a poo poo about the old.

Nobody's going to be converted by the Canadia thing, and nobody expects anybody to be converted by the Canadia thing. It's getting mentions because it's funny.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Gorilla Salad posted:

Didn't someone predict a leadership spill for Monday?

It was a fake article.

Not as if they'd do anything of the sort on a public holiday either.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Nobody's going to be converted by the Canadia thing, and nobody expects anybody to be converted by the Canadia thing. It's getting mentions because it's funny.

It's just another tiny thing helping keep the 'Oh My God What A Humiliation' going. Death by a thousand cuts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's not even a cut, he makes a small slip of the tongue and corrects it straight away.

VVV Eh, it's no Suppository of Wisdom.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 9, 2014

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

it's funny.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Given that our last Prime Minister tripped over on an overseas event and it was analysed to death for the next week, I feel no shame. He is the utter opposite of a statesman.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

VVV Eh, it's no Suppository of Wisdom.

It's funny. Quit politicsperging.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

xutech posted:

~~

Yeah, he'd just said 'Canadian' early in his sentence and accidentally repeated it when he meant to say 'Canada', and immediately corrected himself. It's not worth any attention at all.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Vindicator posted:

Given that our last Prime Minister tripped over on an overseas event and it was analysed to death for the next week, I feel no shame. He is the utter opposite of a statesman.

That was legitimately funny. People stacking it is always funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vindicator posted:

He is the utter opposite of a statesman.

I still want terms I can use for elected officials that carry no connotations of respect, because this lot doesn't deserve any.

• Locked thread