Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Is there any other boss that has a rare (not tailcut) drop?
The Taurus demon can drop the Demon's Greataxe and the Bell Gargoyles can drop the Gargoyle Halberd, Shield & Helm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Sanctum posted:

Wait, I got what?

Is there any other boss that has a rare (not tailcut) drop?

Not sure if it counts as a "drop", but you can get the Demon's Great Hammer from the first boss by killing him during the first encounter.

HenryEx posted:

Just downloaded it and unzipped without problems.

Still, I replaced the archive with a ZIP of different compression now, maybe that helps. Download and try again.

Thanks, works fine now!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I walked into Blighttown, then found the exit to valley of the drakes. There was a stone sleeping dragon that looked dead in a ravine, I thought it would be slow, with some loot glowing inbetween its hand and mouth. I grabbed the loot. I died immediately. I then died on my way back to get my stuff. 10k soouls.

I quit Dark Souls last night.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That dragon was in fact undead, not stone. 10k souls is nothing.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

About that large ember you need for lightning enchanment.

Not really. You get a crystal halberd in AL. Downgrade it, and then you have a +10 you can simply enchant with anything you want.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

I walked into Blighttown, then found the exit to valley of the drakes. There was a stone sleeping dragon that looked dead in a ravine, I thought it would be slow, with some loot glowing inbetween its hand and mouth. I grabbed the loot. I died immediately. I then died on my way back to get my stuff. 10k soouls.

Later on in the game I chose to abandon over twice that many because getting them back would've been mildly annoying.

You'll be fine.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

KoRMaK posted:

:cmon: I've lost 40k souls before.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

KoRMaK posted:

I am dumb as hell because I tend to run around with a lot of souls while not being that good at the game so I customarily lose 50-100k souls every few hours. It might seem like a lot but 10k souls is like a fart :shobon:

e: if you have a lot of souls and want to explore somewhere dangerous buy a Ring of Sacrifice from Domhnall of Zena.

e2: to clarify: I didn't mean to belittle your efforts, just sayin' enemies later on tend to drop so many souls you don't need to worry about. Especially when the enemies infinitely respawn (unlike the sequel).

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 9, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

:cmon: I've lost 40k souls before.

I've lost over 100 millions souls before.

What rings you got, bitch? :smug:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Dark Souls 2 added a global "disappeared souls" counter (among others)

as of this post it's 12,849,399,757,106 and that's just the ps3 (pc has thrice that but there's probably some hex editing going on).

Sorry you've gone hollow over 10k.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Dark Souls 2 added a global "disappeared souls" counter (among others)

as of this post it's 12,849,399,757,106 and that's just the ps3 (pc has thrice that but there's probably some hex editing going on).

Sorry you've gone hollow over 10k.

The problem with you all veterans is that you've seen how many souls you get later on. First time through, you lack that perspective.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's not something to quit over (though I assume he meant for the night rather than for good). Even if you've just gone through Blighttown that's not a whole lot, killing Quelaag will instantly double that. You don't have to be in Anor Londo to make up 10k, though it certainly helps.

Really the moral of the story here is don't walk around with a ton of souls if you don't want to lose them.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I lost 80k in crystal cave this weekend.

How do I deal with those giant crystal fuckers? I'm sorcery/int based and my attacks just do piddly damage to them, and they kill me in one hit if I leave an opening.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
The regular golems shouldn't be able to kill you in one hit even with default HP. There are a few golden golems, though, and they hit hard. One in the crystal cave but you can't see it's golden due to the ambient blueish light. Either get a blunt weapon or just run pass all of them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Use melee, magic doesn't work on crystal golems for poo poo. Miracles might, I don't remember. If your STR/DEX are poo poo you can make a fire or lightning weapon since they don't run off scaling. Running is also an option, none of them are forced.

edit: also keep in mind that the golden crystal golems don't respawn

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 9, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Manslaughter posted:

I lost 80k in crystal cave this weekend.

How do I deal with those giant crystal fuckers? I'm sorcery/int based and my attacks just do piddly damage to them, and they kill me in one hit if I leave an opening.

Just run past them. That area has the worst collision. There's a ramp I have to walk down there that always starts pushing me to its right side and I'm always afraid I'll just slip off if I don't sprint down and left.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea the perspective thing, 10k is a lot to me because my level up is at like 13k now. I got a handful of those souls from two minor boss fights (the spider thing over the hole at the sort of beginning of blighttown). A friend was over last night and laughed at me and told me how many souls they lost over their dark souls career and how I'm barely going to remember this part if I keep going.

Can you store souls in a bottomless box, how do you not walk around with a bunch of souls you don't want to lose?

I quit indefinitely because I realized (like I do with most games after 30+ hrs) that I could have been working on a project and actually have something to show for my time investment. I exited dark souls and launched my development environment for a game I'm a code contributor on. I thought "god drat, how many souls am I going to lose per minute? and how many of those minutes could have been spent on growing my skillset and working on a thing and not have it instantly evaporate?"

I'll probably end up playing again tonight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That thing on the wall wasn't a boss, no you can't store souls unless they're an item that grant them on use, and if you don't want to lose souls just use them. Level up, buy something, whatever.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

You can store souls by buying Dung Pies from the female undead merchant and then you can sell them for cost when the dude who buys items pops out of his hole in Firelink.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Don't the Dung Piles cost 200 and sell for 100?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I've found the best armor combo.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You get less concerned about losing souls over time, but I'm still pissed when I lose liquid humanity. Mostly because the process of getting more is such a pain in the rear end due to co-op not working half of the time, and me being bad at PVP.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, relax, i know it feels like a tough blow and at that level souls still do matter a bit for upgrades and getting stat requirements, i was just poking fun at the overly dramatic "i quit!" joke at the end. :)

Also there's nothing wrong with walking away and talking a break when you feel salty, coming back later with a clear mind and decent concentration is probably among the wisest things to do in more than one occasion.

Raygereio posted:

Don't the Dung Piles cost 200 and sell for 100?
At least when i played they sold without loss, but you could only hold 99 of them (so you can only "store" 20k anyway) and buying/selling them is just too much of a hassle for that amount.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 9, 2014

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

Hahaha, you jest.

So, I was co-oping Sen's Fortress with two buddies. I died fairly deep into the fortress to the giant bombs, if I recall correctly, so I unhollowed again and we set out to recover my bloodstain.

Only to have one of my co-op partners trigger a bolt trap at the far end of a hallway I was in that stunlocked me before I realized what was happening. Goodbye, 160,000 souls and 13 liquid humanity.

edit: I have since then made that amount back tenfold. 10,000 souls is a fraction of a boss fight later in the game.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I put down the game a year ago when I hit Quelaag, but Oney's LP has got me playing again. What satan-worshiping sadist made a place like Sen's and then put it right after Blighttown? And then made a place as pretty as Alondo but put two giant spear-shooting knightcunts on either side of an unrailed deathfall railing? But it's ok, I made it eventually. Now it's boss time. After several dozen tries I've at last managed to kill Hammerbitch, so now I can put all my attention on Spearfucker since he's somewhat predictable and I can

oh

of course.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

RoadCrewWorker posted:

At least when i played they sold without loss, but you could only hold 99 of them (so you can only "store" 20k anyway) and buying/selling them is just too much of a hassle for that amount.

Yeah, it's a cute trick, but stops being useful for "saving" souls pretty quickly and you're better off just buying other consumables straight off.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is Havel's armour set the best in game? I'm capable of using almost all of the set + zweihander and crest shield with the right rings. I'm tempted to boost my str high enough for artioas' great shield but I'm not sure its worthwhile? How big a difference does the stability of a great shield make?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Jose posted:

Is Havel's armour set the best in game? I'm capable of using almost all of the set + zweihander and crest shield with the right rings. I'm tempted to boost my str high enough for artioas' great shield but I'm not sure its worthwhile? How big a difference does the stability of a great shield make?
The Artorias Greatshield is really good, and stability is very useful in this game. It basically allows you to take more hits while blocking. Havel's armor set is really good, so is Giants.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I'd argue that the crazy-high shield stability of GSoA is more useful than anything you can get from Havel's set, possible exception of poise. Havel's set is also really good, provided your intention is to tank hits. Naturally, if your intention is to get out of the way either by walking or by rolling, it's really lovely because it's so heavy.

Shield stability is basically the percentage of potential stamina damage that you don't take, when blocking with a shield. So 88 stability means that you get hit with 100-88 = 12% of the potential stamina damage from blocking an attack. In other words, you can block twice as much stuff with the same stamina, as you could with a 76 stability shield (where you'd take 100-76 = 24% of potential stamina damage). Because of that, you can also successfully block some things where a lighter shield would just go "gently caress it, I'm out" and leave you vulnerable with that shield-flung-sideways animation.

Downsides: can't parry with greatshields (though you can shield bash instead), they're heavier (but still, way better bang for the buck as far as weight goes, compared to armor), and they tend to have pretty significant strength requirements.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jose posted:

Is Havel's armour set the best in game?

I believe that, as far as pure defense goes, the Giant's Set is the best armor in the game. Havel's has higher poise, but is also weightier.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 10, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

It's close, but not quite the best armor for damage reduction. The giant armor fully upgraded has the highest physical damage reduction of any set in the game. Stability is the most important stat on a shield after physical damage reduction.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I should note that, if you get the Greatshield of Artorias, you really don't need to wear any kind of heavy armor whatsoever. The stability on it is insane. A friend of mine did Manus on his first try because almost nothing can actually punch through that thing, barring certain very powerful overhead attacks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You do need 34 strength to use it though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

You do need 34 strength to use it though.

34's definitely attainable unless you're doing pure Dex or Sorcery or something. Strength/End/Vit with some Pyromancy is probably the safest first runthrough you can do.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you're into pure sorcery 34 strength is likely way out of your league.

edit: oh I read that wrong, my bad.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 10, 2014

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
You don't get that much more defense from heavy armor over lighter stuff, and you can actually have too much poise for PVE -- past a certain point some attacks that would knock you off your feet (when you're invulnerable till you stand back up) will just stun you. Then you'll eat a whole combo. 40-60 is probably ideal.

For PvP more poise is always better if it doesn't hurt your roll though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Vil posted:

Downsides: can't parry with greatshields (though you can shield bash instead), they're heavier (but still, way better bang for the buck as far as weight goes, compared to armor), and they tend to have pretty significant strength requirements.

It's worth mentioning that the Iron Round Shield is an exception to this in a way. It's normal shield so you can parry with it but at the same time it has the deflection property of greatshields, which means that even heavy attacks will make the enemy bounce off it. Downside is that it has the stability of normal shield, upside is its requirements are way lower that most greatshields (only the Eagle Shield is very close, requiring 2 more points to wield than the IRS' requirement of 14 strength).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Zenzirouj posted:

I put down the game a year ago when I hit Quelaag, but Oney's LP has got me playing again. What satan-worshiping sadist made a place like Sen's and then put it right after Blighttown? And then made a place as pretty as Alondo but put two giant spear-shooting knightcunts on either side of an unrailed deathfall railing? But it's ok, I made it eventually. Now it's boss time. After several dozen tries I've at last managed to kill Hammerbitch, so now I can put all my attention on Spearfucker since he's somewhat predictable and I can

oh

of course.

If it makes you feel any better, once I finally beat "Spearfucker" I felt like I had gotten over the hump of the difficulty. I still found the game challenging, but nothing ever felt like running into a brick wall again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The game falls apart after Anor Londo, not including the DLC area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Manatee Cannon posted:

The game falls apart after Anor Londo, not including the DLC area.

Storywise it's interesting how the endgame bosses' gimmicks are focused on artificial immortality.

• Locked thread