Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Malcolm XML posted:

it is

take a request in, send a response out, its not that hard or interesting

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the 'well, java has *more* mvc frameworks and orms than the closest competitor :smug:' may be the stupidest post ever made

bragging about whos hooker has more stds

lots of stupid posts itt see all of mine

welcome to yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

yeah ok just browse nugget or something

well i went to go look, and i was astounded to see the package count: 28k vs 78k. closer than i'd have ever guessed. then i actually looked at the 'packages' page on nuget: http://www.nuget.org/packages

on the first page there are three actual open source libraries (json.net, antlr, and log4net). two of the three are java ports

everything else is microsoft (12 items) or just random js crap packaged for use in asp.net (4). if this is at all representative of the nuget repo, that about says it all about .net's laughable "ecosystem"

thank god i didn't have to wget boostrap!!!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
lol i just noticed it's sorted by recent installs

so this is absolutely representative. out of the top 20 packages, only three are bona fide 3rd party libraries, and two of those are ports from java. gg

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

bragging about whos hooker has more stds
std::cout << 8==o;

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well i went to go look, and i was astounded to see the package count: 28k vs 78k. closer than i'd have ever guessed. then i actually looked at the 'packages' page on nuget: http://www.nuget.org/packages

on the first page there are three actual open source libraries (json.net, antlr, and log4net). two of the three are java ports

everything else is microsoft (12 items) or just random js crap packaged for use in asp.net (4). if this is at all representative of the nuget repo, that about says it all about .net's laughable "ecosystem"

thank god i didn't have to wget boostrap!!!!

ok so

i agree that .net infra is < java

but what exists on java that doesn't in .net? I'm curious here

like idc about some lovely servlet container or something

i wanna know about some real big pkgs that just don't exist

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so this is absolutely representative. out of the top 20 packages, only three are bona fide 3rd party libraries, and two of those are ports from java. gg

so what is the problem with porting libraries? i mean whats the issue? if java did it better, then why not copy them?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

ok so

mvc/webapi is better than cfx/spring mvc in every way.

java has 2 things that are better these days: Maven and spring-mybatis.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

actually its the libs that u shouldn't use java for that are missing: game libs, ui libs, numerics libs (Math.NET is ok i guess, but it ain't colt)

WPF is better than anything sun shat out

use C++ for games.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

so what is the problem with porting libraries? i mean whats the issue? if java did it better, then why not copy them?

because people probably want c# native bindings and if there was any ecosystem to care about, integration into .net-specific things

but there is no ecosystem so who cares

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

ok so

the problem is not that there are no real big pkgs, it's that all big and important things come from microsoft, and they're supported or not at microsoft's whim

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

because people probably want c# native bindings and if there was any ecosystem to care about, integration into .net-specific things

but there is no ecosystem so who cares

lol

show us on the doll where msft touched u

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the problem is not that there are no real big pkgs, it's that all big and important things come from microsoft, and they're supported or not at microsoft's whim

lmao

do u know how much of a pita it is for ms to say it supports something?

it means they will bend over backwards to deal with it esp if u pay cash money

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

lol

show us on the doll where msft touched u

i can't talk about it b/c that gets too close to real life. but yeah msft is not my favorite vendor, and i mos def wouldn't bet my business on anything from redmond.

i do in fact like .net quite a lot. there was a time when i was a mono contributor. c# is rad. but being shackled to windows and microsoft and an "ecosystem" with nothing but a whale and some plankton is terrible

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

is there software that isn't supported at someone's whim? "I could take over Hibernate if I wanted!" seems implausible, but even if some nerd champion arose would their whim suit you? you always have to hope that the vendor's motivations match yours.

this is an area where the jcp really helps, IMO, since it lets you see more of the values underlying design decisions as they surface during discussion. (I'm operating under the assumption that Oracle operates in good faith here and doesn't just dump take-it-or-leave-it work over the wall. Sun tried that with ECMA back in the day, and hilarity did not ensue.)

Malcolm XML posted:

take a request in, send a response out, its not that hard or interesting

I, too, find implementing functions to be tedious and beneath my talents.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

is there software that isn't supported at someone's whim? "I could take over Hibernate if I wanted!" seems implausible, but even if some nerd champion arose would their whim suit you? you always have to hope that the vendor's motivations match yours.

1. yeah, i have found myself supporting dead open source projects internally. it's unpleasant but preferable to the alternative.

2. re: hibernate specifically, much of hibernate's functionality is standardized in java EE. vendors have sworn to provide those APIs essentially forever. the JCP just works

3. "support" means less having a dude to call, and more "this thing is alive and other people are working with it." microsoft's product direction determines which apis they like this week, and if you bet big on something in the graveyard of broken toys, tough poo poo. microsoft is the contributor in the system, and if they're done with it, it's done.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

there's nothing particularly enlightening about taking a service and serving it over http

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Malcolm XML posted:

there's nothing particularly enlightening about taking a service and serving it over http

there's nothing particularly enlightening by doing the same with a 3270 greenscreen, either

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Malcolm XML posted:

actually its the libs that u shouldn't use java for that are missing: game libs, ui libs, numerics libs (Math.NET is ok i guess, but it ain't colt)

WPF is better than anything sun shat out

use C++ for games.

ILNumerics? idk when i needed to do actual numerics in c# i got tired of everything being really slowand just p/invoked poo poo i wrote in c++ because holy crap that was painless

also isnt unity c#? kind of a big game lib

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there's nothing particularly enlightening by doing the same with a 3270 greenscreen, either

exactly most web jobs are making skins over a database, as tef would say

it's what u do otherwise that's interesting, not that u managed to hook it up to a http server

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

setting up a REPL-like for java in eclipse using project builders:

configure the external builder like this

and make it run during auto builds

now every time you edit and save that class it gets executed afterwards!

things_eclipse_can_do_that_I_didn't_know_about.txt

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Max Facetime posted:

how is saving a file and running it a repl

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Malcolm XML posted:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it is every programmers right to look at their particular skills as god's gift to capitalism while the rest are idiot shitfuckers with no true programming skill

every programmer is both the best and the worst

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
actually i harbor no delusions about being good at programming

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

b0lt posted:

how is saving a file and running it a repl

that's why I said "REPL-like"

sure it starts afresh every time, but then again compared to real REPL that's better, actually

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

ok so

a supported ZK client. curator on top of it

netty

asm

you know, for when you need to do things more interesting than database skins. java has libraries

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

give it time

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

Same. Still have to put in like 3 years more work to reach that 10000 hours

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I was a late bloomer but since I'm jesus-christ-old (33 this year), the 10000 have come and gone

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

a supported ZK client. curator on top of it

netty

asm

you know, for when you need to do things more interesting than database skins. java has libraries

https://www.nuget.org/packages/ZooKeeperNet/

netty idk if there's anything. probably the biggest missing thing

asm -> Mono.CeCIL not doing it for you?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

pointers posted:

10000 hours
:cripes:

do not put faith in things that fall out of malcolm gladwell's mouth

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

coffeetable posted:

:cripes:

do not put faith in things that fall out of malcolm gladwell's mouth
You take things too seriously dude

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

pointers posted:

You take things too seriously dude. Perpetuating misleading bullshit is cool bro

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

pointers posted:

You take things too seriously dude

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

taking something as complex as mastering a skill and boiling it down to a single figure that holds universally over all people and subjects is stupid and bad and damaging. its not "ten thousand hours of practice", its "some number of years of daily, challenging practice where you and a coach recognise your failures and work hard to correct them". if youve got a natural talent for it, the time period will be much shorter. if you're old, it'll take much longer. if you've mastered a related skill, itll come much easier. if youve got good teachers, it'll come much easier.

most importantly, if you, like most people, just do the same fuxkong poo poo work for years on end without ever bothering to change it up, you'll never get anywhere. i think i might be paraphrasing tef here (who probably nicked it from someone else), but there's a huge difference between ten years of experience and one year of experience ten times over

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

thanks for that post i wasn't aware of any of those concepts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Max Facetime posted:

repl is a sign of bad language which is why java doesn't have one. also the content of that .txt is "litterrrallly anything".

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

coffeetable posted:

taking something as complex as mastering a skill and boiling it down to a single figure that holds universally over all people and subjects is stupid and bad and damaging. its not "ten thousand hours of practice", its "some number of years of daily, challenging practice where you and a coach recognise your failures and work hard to correct them". if youve got a natural talent for it, the time period will be much shorter. if you're old, it'll take much longer. if you've mastered a related skill, itll come much easier. if youve got good teachers, it'll come much easier.

most importantly, if you, like most people, just do the same fuxkong poo poo work for years on end without ever bothering to change it up, you'll never get anywhere. i think i might be paraphrasing tef here (who probably nicked it from someone else), but there's a huge difference between ten years of experience and one year of experience ten times over

there no such thing as natural talent

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

there no such thing as natural talent

Swr

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

http://www.jetbrains.com/dbe/features/ for people who like jetbrains' stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

double sulk posted:

http://www.jetbrains.com/dbe/features/ for people who like jetbrains' stuff

i know writing queries can get a bit involved but is this really necessary??

i think people are treating dbs as a magic box a bit too much tbh