Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

BingeHooligan posted:

Is anyone else worried at the amount of berserker risk players? I feel like there definitely isn't going to be enough to go around. Two years ago was my last fiesta and I remember people getting two and three, and with the donations now it doesn't seem feasible. :ohdear:

I was actually just thinking the same thing.

Right now less than half of the berserker risk players are going to get a berserker.

If you can give your money in now rather than pledge it for later, please do so!

If you're going to take a berserker from the pool, please give one in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'll throw in 5 berserkers. It's not much, but there are so many Riskers in need.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

If I reregister for a run, the new run overwrites the old, right? I was thinking about handing off my potential Zerk to someone in need, given that I have no money to donate. :shobon:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

KataraniSword posted:

If I reregister for a run, the new run overwrites the old, right? I was thinking about handing off my potential Zerk to someone in need, given that I have no money to donate. :shobon:

As long as you do it before it starts.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Really, anyone doing a No750 run barely needs the Berserker Risk, since they have a 50% shot of getting one anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

Mystic Knight is kind of a slow uphill climb until you get Break, Drain, and the -agas. It's not really as overpowered as it's sold as until you get 2/3rds of the way through World 2, which is pretty late in race standards.

The big thing about mknights is that they're boss killers through and through. Most of the bosses you encounter after getting them have a weakness to exploit for quite some time, and that's where they shine, but it's usually not worth the extra turn spent on random encounters. When it comes to overall playing speed, a mknight might as well be a quicker, weaker knight that can't equip knight swords.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Schwartzcough posted:

Really, anyone doing a No750 run barely needs the Berserker Risk, since they have a 50% shot of getting one anyway.

If you don't berserker risk, doesn't that remove Berserker from your pool entirely, no matter what sort of run you're doing?

I know last year it worked such that if you wanted a berserker chance at all, you had to take risk in pre-reg.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hahahahaha no. The only people who can't get a berserker are 750 and FF1 runners.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Schwartzcough posted:

I thought Berserker Risk had the chance to replace any of your crystals with a Berserker, not just Water Crystal. I'm kinda fuzzy on this.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

mango sentinel posted:

I thought Berserker Risk had the chance to replace any of your crystals with a Berserker, not just Water Crystal. I'm kinda fuzzy on this.

That's correct. So you can end up with up to 3 berserkers if there are enough to go around. Unfortunately it seems like there may not be enough this year.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Fenrir posted:

That's correct. So you can end up with up to 3 berserkers if there are enough to go around. Unfortunately it seems like there may not be enough this year.

Even if you have Berserker Risk, you can still roll Berserkers normally. All the donations do is turn that random chance into a guarantee for some players.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Someone call Sarah McLachlan, we need to get people's wallets open for those poor helpless berserkers!

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
Does it usually take the twitter 10 minutes to reply to my #wind command? :smith:

I just started this on a whim and am anxious to know what fresh hell I'm in for.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Space Cob posted:

Does it usually take the twitter 10 minutes to reply to my #wind command? :smith:

I just started this on a whim and am anxious to know what fresh hell I'm in for.

It will take a week, because the Fiesta doesn't start for seven days. It's just signups time.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

Prism posted:

It will take a week, because the Fiesta doesn't start for seven days. It's just signups time.

Oh. Well I'm a drat moron. Also explains why the bot said "pre-register." Oh well! I'll be ready when the time comes. Thanks!

Lost Rivell
Jun 4, 2012
It's been years since I tried FFV, so I don't remember what the deal was with Berserkers, but I fired off a tweet with BERSERKER RISK because why not.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Lost Rivell posted:

It's been years since I tried FFV, so I don't remember what the deal was with Berserkers, but I fired off a tweet with BERSERKER RISK because why not.

All axes have highly random damage and miss 15% of time. The best axes have around 85 attack while the best swords get over 100 (and never miss).

A berserker first action takes extra long due to a coding issue. Your other character will get 2 turns before your berserker gets its first.

Berserkers have terrible agility so they just act slower in general.

Berserker have less strength than both knights and monks.

That beings said they aren't that much of a dead weight thanks to the game being decently balanced.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
To be fair, the stated attack power of an axe is misleading, as they also ignore most of the target's defense. So 'zerkers have that going for them, too. The major drawback, really, is the auto-attacking.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Also, their ATB gauge continues to go when they die. It's always nice when reviving a Berserker to have them attack instantly.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Also, the two best axes have 90% hit rates.

Also, they get one of the best and earliest sources of instant death in the game.

:black101:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Also, the two best axes have 90% hit rates.

Also, they get one of the best and earliest sources of instant death in the game.

:black101:

Yeah, the Death Sickle alone makes the 'Zerkers playable. That poo poo carried me all through world 2 and most of World 3 during my team auto-fight run.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

How else will I get multiple Berserkers on my team?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Edward_Tohr posted:

The major drawback, really, is the auto-attacking.

Their skill list is also pretty bad, !Berserk and Equip Axe are both extremely situational unless you have a truly poo poo-rear end (Random?) party that can't do any damage.

I really can't think of many classes with a worse skill list, even the melee guys with a bunch of non-outstanding filler. !Steal opens up a ton of extra loot, HP+30% is at least useful most of the time, etc.

Baku fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 9, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Random tends to give really amazing parties because the first 2 crystals have really amazing jobs.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I really can't think of many classes with a worse skill list, even the melee guys with a bunch of non-outstanding filler. !Steal opens up a ton of extra loot, HP+30% is at least useful most of the time, etc.

Geomancer might come close. Sure, !Gaia is MP-free, but most jobs that can make use of it will be using it for that economy alone, and the two passives are worthless as long as you have a Geomancer on your team... which you invariably will, given that it's a Fiesta. A White Mage or Time Mage might make use of !Gaia to do damage until they get Holy or Comet, but after that, it's forgotten like so much other chaff.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
At least Equip Axes can be useful if you roll a Monk for Wind and don't have other Equip Weapon skills (like if you roll Geomancer or Ninja/Dancer or are doing Random). There's enough good end game axes too to make this viable. And with Death Sickles, Equip Axes is probably viable for longer than Gaia.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Just signed up for a No750 run. Always wanted to try a 4 job fiesta, didn't know that there was a charity event for it.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Asiina posted:

I was actually just thinking the same thing.

Right now less than half of the berserker risk players are going to get a berserker.

If you can give your money in now rather than pledge it for later, please do so!

If you're going to take a berserker from the pool, please give one in!

Okay.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The infographic says that Monk/Berserker/Beastmaster/Dancer is "infamous" and I've heard people say it's considered the worst roll, but considering Beastmaster can do great things with Catch and whips are pretty decent weapons wouldn't Geomancer be a worse result than Beastmaster? I mean Equip Whips boosts the Berserker's agility a tiny bit at least, and Equip Ribbon isn't a terrible ability either really, whereas Geomancer wouldn't really give anything useful (especially to the Berserker).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:stare:

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo.

You are awesome!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

My love for you is like a truck

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zombies' Downfall posted:

My love for you is like a truck

Two hundred and sixty trucks, in fact.

I'm not sure if the :stare:s were sufficient enough to get it across but holy crap, dude. There are no words. :swoon:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A love that crushes like a mace.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I suppose I won't be getting a triple zerker tea....

:magical:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

dis astranagant posted:

Random tends to give really amazing parties because the first 2 crystals have really amazing jobs.

My first fiesta I had a monk and a thief. I eventually decided to job fair a black mage instead of the thief so I could beat the air carrier boss, whatever its name was.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

I suppose I won't be getting a triple zerker tea....

:magical:

Well, in fairness, we're only at 110% Berserker Saturation at the moment, so triples are exceedingly unlikely, even when you parse out Normal/Risk teams.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

You are a good person. :stare:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Holy poo poo! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Twelve by Pies posted:

wouldn't Geomancer be a worse result than Beastmaster?

RevenantKioku just doesn't like Beastmaster for whatever reason. That's the sole reason it's considered worse than Geomancer there.

...Suddenly glad I'm doing like the only config that can't be Risked anyway.

Also that's an amazing donation in general.

• Locked thread