Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Tsyni posted:

You should see the raiding icon (the one that you toggled on) on the ship or the army (can't remember off hand).

I turned it off and now I can't turn it back on. It says I'm in friendly lands. Do I need to declare war or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
You can only raid people of different religions.

e: Also, you need to toggle looter on in your own territory, you can't switch it on when they're already in the province you want to raid.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah one of the requirements is being in friendly lands, hence the (X) next to it, because youre not.

I was confused as well.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Generation Internet posted:

You can only raid people of different religions.

e: Also, you need to toggle looter on in your own territory, you can't switch it on when they're already in the province you want to raid.

I'm Norse and they're Slavic. I can't loot them?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
If that's the case you should be able to turn looter on in your own territory and then just pop them over and rake in some cash. If you have a land border with them you won't even need the ships.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I have the looter flag turned on and I'm standing in their territory. Am I looting now? How can I tell if I'm looting?

Edit: These guys border my territory and I also have a boat there. I'm the mint colored territory in the center and I'm trying to loot the gray part.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 9, 2014

Mercurial
Mar 28, 2006

Elixirs are expensive, you know.
It should look very much like you're sieging the place normally.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I don't see anything that looks like sieging. I think my guys are just standing there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Parallax Scroll posted:

I'm Norse and they're Slavic. I can't loot them?

They need to be a totally different religion group. Pagans can't raid each other. Go beat up on Catholics instead.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They need to be a totally different religion group. Pagans can't raid each other. Go beat up on Catholics instead.

OK, I'll do that. Thanks.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If Parallax Scroll doesn't play the newest beta version then he is indeed unable to raid other pagans.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I guess I don't have that beta patch. I think I have raiding working now on some Orthodox guys.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing as the King of Ireland, with Tanistry succession. Is there a way to influence dynasty members to support my preferred successor? What makes the AI support particular canditates over others?

Mercurial
Mar 28, 2006

Elixirs are expensive, you know.
Remember that you have to have some kind of port in order to bring in the gold. I found out that Dyre may start with boats so you can raid, but the gold is stuck there for awhile.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Mercurial posted:

Remember that you have to have some kind of port in order to bring in the gold. I found out that Dyre may start with boats so you can raid, but the gold is stuck there for awhile.

Yep I just figured this out. Gotta get a port I guess.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Brown Paper Bag posted:

I'm playing as the King of Ireland, with Tanistry succession. Is there a way to influence dynasty members to support my preferred successor? What makes the AI support particular canditates over others?

They prefer someone not a child/sibling of the current ruler. It's best to just flip between two branches of your dynasty, you should always have a good ruler available.

Dec 30, 2008
The Emperor of Francia (an inheritance blobbed Karling) in my game set up an anti-pope, pushed his claim on the papacy, vassalised the papacy, then immediately set up another anti-pope for some reason. So his vassal pope hated him because he controlled an anti-pope and granted me the invasion CB, so I used my crazy republic money to take over his empire. Except now the pope is my vassal, and hates me because the anti-pope is also my vassal and I don't know how to get rid of the anti-pope.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Guest posted:

The Emperor of Francia (an inheritance blobbed Karling) in my game set up an anti-pope, pushed his claim on the papacy, vassalised the papacy, then immediately set up another anti-pope for some reason. So his vassal pope hated him because he controlled an anti-pope and granted me the invasion CB, so I used my crazy republic money to take over his empire. Except now the pope is my vassal, and hates me because the anti-pope is also my vassal and I don't know how to get rid of the anti-pope.

Grant him independence and press the anti-pope's claim.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Or revoke the anti-pope's landed title, and then kill him.

Dec 30, 2008
I can't revoke because I'm a republic. Can I push the anti-pope's claim if he's not my religious head?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, it's just a claim on his title. How do you have an antipope w/o being Catholic though?

Dec 30, 2008
I am, it's just he's not my religious head, the pope is. He's just kind of... there.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Like I said, grant him independence, and then push your antipope's claim to the papacy. He will become the new pop under your vassalage, and the other pope will gently caress off.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Theres mucho talk of vassalising Il Papa, how does playing as one of his vassals stack up? Does he make a good liege for the ambitious? I'd like to help him recreate the historical papal states, and I remember betting against the pope in EU3 was a bad idea generally speaking.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Theres mucho talk of vassalising Il Papa, how does playing as one of his vassals stack up? Does he make a good liege for the ambitious? I'd like to help him recreate the historical papal states, and I remember betting against the pope in EU3 was a bad idea generally speaking.

I had a game as the Pope's vassal, the Orsinis, not too long ago. The biggest thing is to stay on good terms with the Pope at all times. If you ever insult him, there is a chance he will try to revoke your titles, a complicated battle to fight given the Papacy's massive income.

The Pope has a tendency to implement Free Investiture and Absolute Crown Authority, which was problematic in my game because factions apparently don't work in the Papacy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

QuoProQuid posted:

I had a game as the Pope's vassal, the Orsinis, not too long ago. The biggest thing is to stay on good terms with the Pope at all times. If you ever insult him, there is a chance he will try to revoke your titles, a complicated battle to fight given the Papacy's massive income.

The Pope has a tendency to implement Free Investiture and Absolute Crown Authority, which was problematic in my game because factions apparently don't work in the Papacy.

Is that working as intended? Seems a bit strange to me.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Well he's got no reason to try and buddy up with the Pope, which is the main point of Papal Investiture.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Torrannor posted:

You're already his vassal, he doesn't especially need to control you more than that-he trusts your judgement, that why he hasn't kicked you out yet.

It's everyone ELSE who has to bend the knee when it comes to bishops.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've noticed that the pope's income drops drastically when you have him as a vassal. Which is a bit sad really, since I liked being able to ask for 4000 gold for 100 piety as Genoa.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

MrBling posted:

I've noticed that the pope's income drops drastically when you have him as a vassal. Which is a bit sad really, since I liked being able to ask for 4000 gold for 100 piety as Genoa.

That's because every bishop in the game pays their tithe directly to you, rather than the Pope. Which is, uh, better :)

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Having a vassal pope and being Byzantine Empress make pretty internal borders so god drat easy. The only problem is that it's going to take two generations to normalise the succession to ag-cog elective which means my Empressive run is screwed for a while. Plus you don't need the Byzantine title to be your primary for the cool events so I can keep painting Britannia all over the map.

Rumda fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 9, 2014

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Any mods to increase the number of friends and rivals? More often than not I'm completely friendless (:smith:), is this working as intended?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Any mods to increase the number of friends and rivals? More often than not I'm completely friendless (:smith:), is this working as intended?

How many friends would you have if you routinely castrated children or sacrificed your concubines at a blot?

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

Sounds like a rich social calendar to me..

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thinking about trying a Viking start. Anything in particular I should be aware of? What are some interesting dudes to start as?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Bold Robot posted:

Thinking about trying a Viking start. Anything in particular I should be aware of? What are some interesting dudes to start as?

The most important thing to be aware of is that you start with Gavelkind, and you can only change succession laws if you reform, so that should be your goal at first.

For interesting starts, there's Ivar the Boneless if you'd like to conquer England. You start with a large army and friends in Denmark and Sweden, so it's mostly smooth sailing.
A less hectic viking start would be King Haraldr "Fairhair" of Norway. You start with one duchy, but a sizeable event army, and all the other counties in Norway are independent, so if you choose the "Become king of Norway" ambition, you can non-stop subjucate everyone within the Norwegian De Jure borders. Haraldr also starts yound and with good stats (quick).

Also, the Karlings are going to be a pain in your side, as they hold two of the Norse holy sites.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Bold Robot posted:

Unless you're specifically looking to conquer something, always be raiding. That's the main advice I have. Also preparing invasions only works if you and your target are in the right size ranges (the English petty kingdoms, roughly), so don't hold off on invasions from an abundance of caution - strike once you're large and prestigious enough and there's a target you can go after.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bold Robot posted:

There are Rurik in Novgorod (Holmgardr) and Dyre the Stranger in Kiev (Konugardr) if you want to play in Eastern Europe (beware the Mongols).

Haraldr Fairhair in Norway is the easiest start, grab Norway through the become king ambition, subjugate Sweden once they are big enough to form the kingdom of Sweden but don't form the kingdom yet. Fabricate a claim on the capital of Denmark or let your ruler die and subjugate Denmark with your heir, then you have the three necessary holy sites to reform the faith. You can do similar things with Bjorn Ironside in Sweden or Sigurd-Snake-in-the-Eye in Denmark, though it's a bit more difficult.

And you have Ivar the Boneless in Scotland if you'd rather play in the British Isles.

Haesteinn in Brittany can be interesting, but it's not recommended for a first timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
I'm trying to somehow reform the Norse faith, starting with Ivar the Boneless and killing of my sons via sending them to war with tiny regiments or outright spy missions. As Ivar died, i only had my heir and another son left, my heir only inherited my capital via gavelkind, while his brother, who the tooltyp said would only get Argyll, got also every other of the eight provinces I had, what gives ?

• Locked thread