Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/02/fifa-ethics-head-michael-garcia-will-not-look-at-qatar-corruption-evidence

Like we expected anything else really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

pik_d posted:

Good planning, get one last World Cup in England before it never returns again.

I think you'd get the opposite result actually. Spain, Brazil etc would send poo poo squads to make sure they didn't win it because they can't afford to host it anymore. England and Germany would be in the final every time.

Grainbarn
Jul 2, 2007

What the fuck did I do?

Lmao spent 6mil just "investigating" and now will ignore evidence. Fantastic.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Grainbarn posted:

Lmao spent 6mil just "investigating" and now will ignore evidence. Fantastic.

Which is twice as much as the original claimed bribery amount.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/03/uefa-president-qatar-bid-bin-hammam

Platini is so corrupt I'm starting to think Blatter sanctioned this leaks because he knew he was safe

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Sony, a major FIFA sponsor, has called for an actual investigation into corruption relating to the Qatar World Cup award. Meanwhile, the Sunday Times has published details from emails. According to the BBC:

quote:

According to the emails, some of which have been seen by the BBC, Bin Hammam:

*Visited Vladimir Putin in the Kremlin to discuss "bilateral relations" between Russia and Qatar a month before the votes for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

*Brokered government level talks for Thailand's Fifa executive Worawi Makudi to push a deal on importing gas from Qatar to Thailand. Makudi told the paper he didn't receive a concession for his part in any gas deal.

*Invited Germany's former Fifa executive Franz Beckenbauer to Doha just five months after the vote with bosses from an oil and gas shipping firm which was employing him as a consultant. The firm involved says it was exploring possible Qatari investments in the shipping and maritime sector but that no deal ever came from the talks. When approached by the Sunday Times, former German international Beckenbauer declined to comment.

*Fixed meetings between nine Fifa executive committee members including Sepp Blatter with members of the Qatari royal family.

*Arranged a meeting between the Qatar bid team and Uefa boss Michel Platini at European football's headquarters in Nyon, near Geneva. Platini, who has openly admitted voting for Qatar, says Bin Hammam didn't attend the meeting and insists he has nothing to hide.

Qatar's World Cup organising committee last week issued a statement denying - once again - that Bin Hammam played any "official or unofficial" role in the bid. And Bin Hammam has declined to comment.

However, what the emails appear to demonstrate is that Bin Hammam - banned from football for life in 2012 for his part in another corruption scandal - was indeed working to secure support for the Qatar bid.

But while that might be uncomfortable for Qatar and Fifa, it is not clear that he or the bid broke any of the governing body's bidding rules. Fifa executive committee members were not subject to the same restrictions placed on bid officials and all the bidding nations used their heads of state and senior government figures to try and win influence and votes.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27751265

I really hope they manage to pull off the Guardian/Snowden trick. Right now they've got people admitting to meetings but saying nothing bad happened, so I desperately want the next reveal to be "bad things happened in those meetings".

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Visa and Adidas have joined them. FIFA have floated the most pathetic response. "Football's embattled world governing body is considering a plan to make a country's human rights record a factor in awarding future tournaments in the wake of a string of concerns over corruption and the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar."

"Yeah theyre kinda bad, I guess when we rate them we'll acknowledge they're terrible in different ways before we give the worst bid the hosting next time."

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Iceland/Costa Rica 2026 then?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The sponsors will have to pull their money before they actually do anything.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
That creepy Jedi costume dude turned out to be not Jedi-like at all.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Chuck Blazer is a preposterous name I don't believe he's real

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

DickEmery posted:

That creepy Jedi costume dude turned out to be not Jedi-like at all.

I read that article yesterday, it's really quite astounding what Blazer was able to get away with.

Well I guess it wasn't astounding considering how all football organizations are run, but...yeah.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

trem_two posted:

I read that article yesterday, it's really quite astounding what Blazer was able to get away with.
If you keep money coming in at a highly increasing rate, you can do just about anything. No wonder he ended up the way he did...he was basically given a ten percent commission on all of the money that went into CONCACAF, and it didn't matter how or where the money came in.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 8, 2014

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Blue Star Error posted:

My favourite name can't be real international sporting identity is Dick Pound

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

John Oliver did a World Cup/FIFA bit on his new show last night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Blue Star Error posted:

I think he fits right in with Tokyo Sexwhale and Jerome Champagne. They're all characters in some $2 noir detective novel.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Came here to post that. Oliver's been doing some great stuff on his new HBO show and that's probably been his best takedown so far.

Also from the Bugle's wikia: http://bugle.wikia.com/wiki/John_Oliver

quote:

John Oliver has thrice urinated on Steven Gerrard.

:eng101:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I like John Oliver and this is good. Could have gone on for a lot longer than 13 minutes though, he barely scratched the surface of just how corrupt FIFA is.

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

vyelkin posted:

I like John Oliver and this is good. Could have gone on for a lot longer than 13 minutes though, he barely scratched the surface of just how corrupt FIFA is.
Yeah, but his show isn't supposed to be soul-crushingly depressing, which a full exposé of FIFA corruption would inevitably shape up to be.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

quote:

Qatar 2022: Sepp Blatter says corruption claims are racist

Fifa president Sepp Blatter claims allegations surrounding the Qatar 2022 World Cup bid are motivated by racism.
Qatar was chosen as host in December 2010 but corruption claims have prompted Fifa to begin an inquiry.
"There is a sort of storm against Fifa relating to the Qatar World Cup," Blatter said. "Sadly there's a great deal of discrimination and racism."

Fifa will rule on the validity of the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups in September or October.
At that point, the president of football's world governing body said, the "matter will be closed".
Speaking to African football officials in Sao Paulo, Blatter confirmed that the latest allegations would be discussed at the Fifa Congress on Tuesday and Wednesday. He said Fifa needed to combat "anything that smacks of discrimination and racism". "It really makes me sad," he added.

At its general assembly in Sao Paulo, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) condemned what it termed "the repeated, deliberately hateful, defamatory and degrading attacks by some media, notably British, on the image and the integrity of the Confederation of African Football, its president, its members, its member associations and the entire African continent."

Caf added that it would urge the executive committee "to file a law suit, if necessary, so that the authors of this smearing and defamatory campaign against African football leaders are brought to book".

Qatar overcame competition from Australia, Japan, South Korea and the United States to be named as 2022 hosts.
But the bidding process has been hit by a series of corruption claims.

American lawyer Michael Garcia is currently involved in an independent investigation into the bidding process and is due to deliver his report to Fifa in mid-July.

Blatter, 78, told delegates from the Asian Football Conference that Garcia would also speak at Fifa's congress to update delegates on his inquiry.

Garcia is investigating everyone connected with the bidding process for both the 2018 World Cup, to be staged in Russia, and the 2022 event.

Qatar's World Cup organising committee continues to reject claims of wrongdoing and says it is confident the vote was won fairly.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27762435

Super villains, all of them.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ah yes, the famous anti-Swiss racism.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Meteorologists are dead racist when they point out 50 degree temperatures

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
How come fifa get to rule on the validity of their actions?

like...

Ok I get that they are evil, but at least pretend its an independent body that will determine validity.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Spangly A posted:

Visa and Adidas have joined them. FIFA have floated the most pathetic response. "Football's embattled world governing body is considering a plan to make a country's human rights record a factor in awarding future tournaments in the wake of a string of concerns over corruption and the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar."

So, does this mean the US will never get another World Cup?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

BlueBayou posted:

How come fifa get to rule on the validity of their actions?

like...

Ok I get that they are evil, but at least pretend its an independent body that will determine validity.

I'm pretty sure that no one has really taken FIFA to task because everyone has bribed them at some point.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I just saw on espn that striking transit drivers in Brazil are being tear gassed by cops. I wonder how many bus crashes the inevitable scabs will get in during the world cup.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The African Confederation are hitting out at the racist claims of the media that their football federation is rife with corruption, match fixing and illegality.

The last 2 games featuring Nigeria have all had allegations for match fixing. There was also allegations that up to 5 matches at the last ACN were fixed.

6 of their members have been investigated for fraud in the last year.

Yeah, must be racism.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

This is a superb deflection especially considering the great strides FIFA has taken to eliminate racism from the game.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Bea Nanner posted:

This is a superb deflection especially considering the great strides FIFA has taken to eliminate racism from the game.

I agree, FIFA have done a lot to eradica

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

The Mash posted:

I agree, FIFA have done a lot to eradica

We must eradicate racism but only while watching the game on our Sony TVs wearing Adidas gear, after driving our Hyundai with Continental tires to get Budweiser and Coca-Cola, all of which were paid for on our Visa card.

(This statement brought to you by Gazprom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXXhu6Jb8wE.)

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 10, 2014

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

I'm not racist, but let's be honest, some footballers really do look like monkeys

Gareth Bale

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
What would the criteria need to be for some sort of charges or at least penalties against Blatter / an organization like FIFA be?

Would Switzerland need to actually pursue it or could say US law enforcement use something like the RICO statutes they like use to make anything all of a sudden a major felony? Just between the NYT article about crooked refs and documented collusion and bribery in the millions from Qatar in the last month, among other things, let alone all the other documented cases previously, there must be some sort of civil or criminal charges that could be filed right?

Of course nothing will ever happen to this grossly corrupt organization but it'd be nice if at least someone somewhere with jurisdiction tried to make a case against them.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Anyone questioning the moral integrity of the Qataris and football is clearly racist...

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27243933

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

sticksy posted:

What would the criteria need to be for some sort of charges or at least penalties against Blatter / an organization like FIFA be?

Would Switzerland need to actually pursue it or could say US law enforcement use something like the RICO statutes they like use to make anything all of a sudden a major felony? Just between the NYT article about crooked refs and documented collusion and bribery in the millions from Qatar in the last month, among other things, let alone all the other documented cases previously, there must be some sort of civil or criminal charges that could be filed right?

Of course nothing will ever happen to this grossly corrupt organization but it'd be nice if at least someone somewhere with jurisdiction tried to make a case against them.

This got me thinking: what if, say, Chuck Blazer, in a desire to try and re-establish any sense of credibility, were to turn over evidence of FIFA corruption/bribery/etc. in exchange for immunity (and his customary ten percent) in any investigation? The US already has both the RICO Act (and just about everything alleged in the Times reports are RICO predicates) and the Alien Tort Statute (burnished by Filartiga v. Pena-Irala and Sosa v. Alvares-Machain, two court cases that basically say that U.S. courts can rule on actions between one or more foreign nationals due to the fact that the law of nations is a long-accepted part of federal common law, and thus under the ATS they hold original jurisdiction) on its books, and I can see more than a few prosecutors wanting to burnish their "tough on corruption" bona fides, potential diplomatic shitstorm be damned.

Come to think of it, this just opened up a whole new avenue of attacking FIFA/corruption/etc.: this means that, for instance, some group could potentially find a Nepalese/Filipino worker on the Qatar WC stadia, gather evidence of slavery, torture, and similar crimes against humanity being done in the course of their construction, and fund a suit or tort claim against the 2022 WC organizers for violations of various treaties. Very interesting.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 10, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

Come to think of it, this just opened up a whole new avenue of attacking FIFA/corruption/etc.: this means that, for instance, some group could potentially find a Nepalese/Filipino worker on the Qatar WC stadia, gather evidence of slavery, torture, and similar crimes against humanity being done in the course of their construction, and fund a suit or tort claim against the 2022 WC organizers for violations of various treaties. Very interesting.

Why hasn't anyone already done this? It's widely reported that Qatar is basically a slave state. Are India/Nepal too afraid to make a fuss?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Badger of Basra posted:

Why hasn't anyone already done this? It's widely reported that Qatar is basically a slave state. Are India/Nepal too afraid to make a fuss?

let me tell you about people with money

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Money, lots and lots of money.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Troy Queef posted:

They wouldn't even need to gather evidence. Qatar has slavery written into the laws of their country. Unfortunatly, money can fix literally anything.

Wasn't there some Brit who was stuck in Qatar recently?

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

India receives $70bn a year in personal remittances, a large portion of that from the GCC, and a full quarter of Nepal's GDP comes from remittances. These aren't countries that are likely to rock the boat.

quote:

Wasn't there some Brit who was stuck in Qatar recently?

I'm not British, and I am more or less free to leave the country, I'm just not able to move employers. I'm planning to cut my losses and get out as soon as possible, but I need to plan a soft landing elsewhere for my families sake. I wouldn't recommend a career here to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Who currently holds your passport? I hope you keep it in your back pocket all the time.

Isn't the Garcia report due today? Do we get to see how much money he was paid to say how wonderful and corruption free FIFA is?