Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Flytrap posted:

You need 1m souls plus another million for every '+' you're in (2m for +, 3m for ++ etc.)

I seem to recall having to go through the lord souls in ng++ when I was trying to get the last couple spells I needed because the shrine wouldn't open and I definitely had more than three million SM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It would be logical that would be <SM at start> + ( 1M x <playthrough #> )

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

Do I really got to spend one human effigiy for each time I wanna try beating Darklurker?!

Just use magic and he's very easy, lightning spears will kill him quick. Otherwise yeah an effigy every time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
First time someone used a seed of the giants on me, I didn't recognize what it was. After spending a minute trying to kill the guy (I think he was running numbness because he was taking basically no damage) I backed into the Giant's hideout in Black Gulch to reapply my buffs. The host just waved at me and I was confused for a moment.

I realized what he had done a split second before being smeared across the cavern floor

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

I realized what he had done a split second before being smeared across the cavern floor

The cruelest betrayal is when bellkeeper turns on bellkeeper. The funniest though is still watching the invader run away from 6 old knights outside the Tower of Flame before seeing the message "INVADER BANISHED".

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Dreggon posted:

Just use magic and he's very easy, lightning spears will kill him quick. Otherwise yeah an effigy every time.

I'm a str dex build, I got like, 5 INT

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cowcaster posted:

You could also murder her all the way and pay the blood price to raise her from her tombstone every time you want to swap boss souls, I think.

Would you happen to have a low-spoiler explanation of this? I don't remember anything like it in DS1.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Would you happen to have a low-spoiler explanation of this? I don't remember anything like it in DS1.

you can "resurect" npcs on ds2

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

Lightning is based off faith, not intelligence. Normal magic (Soul Arrow and the like) runs off INT, pyromancy uses both and hexes is whichever is lower (though you still want the lower stat as high as possible, you're doing yourself no favors leaving one at base level).

You can try infusing a weapon with lightning, using resin or throwing pots at him. He's weak to fire as well.

edit: if you have a couple soul vessels you can also respecc yourself at the cottage with the old women from the beginning of the game to a caster and back once you win.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 9, 2014

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh can't I just instant win? come on from, I bought all your games

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

You could also murder her all the way and pay the blood price to raise her from her tombstone every time you want to swap boss souls, I think.

A few pages back now but very important regarding Ornifex in particular - you can only do this if you've aggroed her at the place where she sets up shop, after rescuing her from the Shaded Woods. If she dies in the woods she is gone for good so best pay up to de-aggro her!

Of course she can still get killed by the basilisks so be careful.

Stupid basilisks...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dumb story about Ornifex; before going into NG+ I went on the usual NPC murder spree. Ornifex doesn't drop anything so there isn't any point in killing her. However, I'm dumb and thought the object she sits on in her shop was a chest. I thought you had to kill her to open the chest. I felt like I really stupid rear end in a top hat after I killed her and realized it was for nothing.

"You humans are all the same :smith:"

Regy Rusty posted:

Of course she can still get killed by the basilisks so be careful.

Stupid basilisks...

How? I completely ignore the basilisks on my low SM runs and they seem to do nothing to her.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

How? I completely ignore the basilisks on my low SM runs and they seem to do nothing to her.

Well if you drop down suddenly into a pit, get surrounded by basilisks, panic, open a door that's the first thing you see, and then run inside only to be followed by the basilisks, they can hit her with petrify gas and kill her instantly.

It sucks. I didn't know she was there until she was dead.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Unfortunately she just goes through a regular death animation instead of actually being petrified. I backed up my save and led a few basilisks in there to try it out for myself. :saddowns:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cyberventurer posted:

Unfortunately she just goes through a regular death animation instead of actually being petrified. I backed up my save and led a few basilisks in there to try it out for myself. :saddowns:

Yeah it would've been really cool if she could have been petrified and you could use one of your extra branches to save her. But alas, nope just dead and so none of her boss weapons for me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Weird. While running around down there grabbing the items, I've had the basilisk cover her in gas and she didn't react at all. I guess if you don't stick around it doesn't have enough time to kick in.

Unrrelated, but I think I found the inspiration for the black gulch leeches; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5qijI--v9E

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
After I watched the great 'Revenge of the Rock' video on youtube, I went on a quest three days ago to do the most unoriginal build ever (authentic Havel), just because I've always had a soft spot for Havel. So, hammers only, no magic, save all Twinklies for Havel's set, Havel's Shield, and Dragon Tooth. To +5 everything, you need 66 Twinkling Titanite. I'm at the endgame now; I farmed out Shrine of Amana for Twinklies and had enough to get everything to +5 except for the shield (+3) and the helmet (+3). That is a lot of TT. I ate all the boss souls except for Velstadt and RR Vanguard (I skipped RR Authority for the moment) and am at @ 150. I think that if I ascetic Velstadt for the Soldiers +2 I might be able to get equip below 70%, but even at 40 Vit with the 3rd Dragon ring that might not be possible. But, wow; it's funny just being able to pancake everything in Shrine of Amana.

Splat. Splat. Splat.

PvP is a lot more challenging with no buffs and only greathammers. I haven't had the opportunity to do much PvP with the armor yet, but I get the feeling that an authentic Havel is going to be really easy to beat by just about anybody that isn't intimidated by a big barrel of brawn bullrush. It's a heavy stat investment and very one-dimensional.

One thing, though, is very disappointing. As I was merrily squashing spiders in the room where you use the Duke's key in Tseldora, before the big spiderweb room, I get the message 'Dragon Tooth +5 At Risk!'

This has been bothering me over the last several days. WTF is up with the durability on these bigass clubs? Did this change in 1.06, or has it always been this bad? I can get through about half of an area between one bonfire and another before I have to switch out weapons - and I'm not smacking into walls or spamming heavy attacks; these things just break really easily. I don't recall having this issue with swords or even katanas, but all of the hammers I've used (maces, clubs, greatclubs, etc.) just break down like they are made out of papier mache. And because they are so heavy, you can't really feasibly have two equipped and also have any armor to speak of; instead you've got to go into your inventory and swap weapons out.

This isn't a huge problem for PvP, because the fight will be over before you have to switch weapons. If you're just playing through the game, though, it's pretty crappy. Yet another reason to just chuck lightning bolts at everything.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

buzzsaw.gif posted:

After I watched the great 'Revenge of the Rock' video on youtube, I went on a quest three days ago to do the most unoriginal build ever (authentic Havel), just because I've always had a soft spot for Havel. So, hammers only, no magic, save all Twinklies for Havel's set, Havel's Shield, and Dragon Tooth. To +5 everything, you need 66 Twinkling Titanite. I'm at the endgame now; I farmed out Shrine of Amana for Twinklies and had enough to get everything to +5 except for the shield (+3) and the helmet (+3). That is a lot of TT. I ate all the boss souls except for Velstadt and RR Vanguard (I skipped RR Authority for the moment) and am at @ 150. I think that if I ascetic Velstadt for the Soldiers +2 I might be able to get equip below 70%, but even at 40 Vit with the 3rd Dragon ring that might not be possible. But, wow; it's funny just being able to pancake everything in Shrine of Amana.

Splat. Splat. Splat.

PvP is a lot more challenging with no buffs and only greathammers. I haven't had the opportunity to do much PvP with the armor yet, but I get the feeling that an authentic Havel is going to be really easy to beat by just about anybody that isn't intimidated by a big barrel of brawn bullrush. It's a heavy stat investment and very one-dimensional.

One thing, though, is very disappointing. As I was merrily squashing spiders in the room where you use the Duke's key in Tseldora, before the big spiderweb room, I get the message 'Dragon Tooth +5 At Risk!'

This has been bothering me over the last several days. WTF is up with the durability on these bigass clubs? Did this change in 1.06, or has it always been this bad? I can get through about half of an area between one bonfire and another before I have to switch out weapons - and I'm not smacking into walls or spamming heavy attacks; these things just break really easily. I don't recall having this issue with swords or even katanas, but all of the hammers I've used (maces, clubs, greatclubs, etc.) just break down like they are made out of papier mache. And because they are so heavy, you can't really feasibly have two equipped and also have any armor to speak of; instead you've got to go into your inventory and swap weapons out.

This isn't a huge problem for PvP, because the fight will be over before you have to switch weapons. If you're just playing through the game, though, it's pretty crappy. Yet another reason to just chuck lightning bolts at everything.
Do you have the Bracing Knuckle Ring +2 equipped?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Also start being really paranoid about making additional attacks after a mob is dead. Durability weardown is somewhat tied to framerate, and time a weapon spends inside a corpse will wreck a weapon. Some weapon types are more prone to spending time in the corpse model than others, which can make a huge difference. Try being really careful about attacking after a mob dies, then pop on a bracing knuckle if ya need it. Periodically small white soapstoning is cool too for keeping your weapons topped off.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vanderdeath posted:

Man, using a Seed of the Giants in the Giants' room in Black Gulch along with Chameleon is just...it's just cruel, man. So many Blue Cops have been lured to an untimely demise that I feel like I'm playing Tecmo's Deception again.

A Seed of the Giants is actually making things easier for the invader, not harder. The statues shoot at you no matter what, the pool grabbers are no threat, and the tunnel snakes are actually more inconvenient and dangerous if you can't attack them.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Unrrelated, but I think I found the inspiration for the black gulch leeches; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5qijI--v9E

The originals are scarier than From's version.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

A Seed of the Giants is actually making things easier for the invader, not harder. The statues shoot at you no matter what, the pool grabbers are no threat, and the tunnel snakes are actually more inconvenient and dangerous if you can't attack them.

None of which matter because he's hiding in the room with the two giants. So either they'll never find him, get tired of dealing with Black Gulch and leave, or get to the room and be forced to fight the giants.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Those mobs aren't the murder machines, it's the Giants chilling out downstairs. Most of the invaders don't realize the Giants are aggro'd onto them before they're staggered and smashed into a fine red paste.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Okay I accidentally killed Titchy Gren because Butterfly Souls like 3 fuckin' days ago now. I even left my game running idle for like ~12 hours on Saturday, and this motherfucker's grave stone still isn't there.

I just wanna invade people.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Vanderdeath posted:

Those mobs aren't the murder machines, it's the Giants chilling out downstairs. Most of the invaders don't realize the Giants are aggro'd onto them before they're staggered and smashed into a fine red paste.

True enough. I always operate on the assumption that a Seed of Giants could go in effect at literally any moment so it doesn't affect me as much :tinfoil:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Honest Thief posted:

Got a Pyro Glove? Can you get it to +8 or so?

Plink with Flame Swath until he splits. From that point, Chaos Firestorm makes almost comically short work of the boss. Just run up and let 'er rip. If you manage to catch both copies of the boss in the maelstrom, it's practically a guaranteed victory.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Help! The PVP in this is rancid garbage and I can't stop playing it. Its an endless cavalcade of assholes using buffed powerstance spears and haveljesters stacking buffs, what should I do. I've already said gently caress fighting fair and taken to silencing them as they summon in to cut down on buffing.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Fight Club. Buffers get tossed off the bridge

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Acid surge everyone.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I spent too much time co-oping Old Iron King (and reinforcing my gear) and now I'm at 1.59 Million SM and I still need to kill The Rotten and Freja.

I'm also hollowed and out of Effigys.

Anyone in that range able to summon me so I can live, then help me kill one of the 2 big dudes?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Annath posted:

So I spent too much time co-oping Old Iron King (and reinforcing my gear) and now I'm at 1.59 Million SM and I still need to kill The Rotten and Freja.

Anyone in that range able to summon me so I can live, then help me kill one of the 2 big dudes?

If you drop the small whitestone mark in places like the beginning of the iron keep, you will generally only have kill a few dudes before you finish your task. Most of the time I drop one wherever I am if I need humanity, it works pretty well.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

Do I really got to spend one human effigiy for each time I wanna try beating Darklurker?!

Gotta pay Dankdribble DarkDunk for shipping and maintenance costs on his IKEA teleporter to the Dampdark Abyss of Dark.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Annath posted:

Assuming you are in NG, I have a character at 1.43M SM who might be able to help you, my Steam ID is visabsoluta. :)

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
nvm

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 9, 2014

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

VisAbsoluta posted:

Assuming you are in NG, I have a character at 1.43M SM who might be able to help you, my Steam ID is visabsoluta. :)

Thanks! Added you on steam. Let me know when you have a free minute!

e: Oh loving christ some rear end in a top hat named "turtlesales" is getting his kicks summoning me at the first Iron Keep bonfire then immediately black crystalling me out. For fucks sake dude.

Annath fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 9, 2014

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What SM do you need to skip to shrine of winter on NG+?

Who the gently caress changed genocybers avatar? Now I can't realize in like .1 seconds that I need to skip that post.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Safety Scissors posted:

What SM do you need to skip to shrine of winter on NG+?

If I've understood it correctly you need to gain 2 million souls after moving to NG+ so it depends on what your SM was at the end of NG.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

So that was a drat easy final boss :confuoot: , and not in the Gwynn way where you could Parry it into paste.
I recorded it for laughs, but that was almost not worth it, the game itself is drat great though even though the second half of the plot only made sense by the time I found the King itself.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
lets co-op later today zedd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

killstealing posted:

lets co-op later today zedd
Sure, what you thinking off?