Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

some loving LIAR posted:

We can't run Paranoia here because forum use obviously requires Blue clearance. We're better off than RPGNet, but not by much.

And how do you know about BLUE clearance forums citizen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Didn't somebody try to run Paranoia via MAID or something here?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

One guess, and their name does not start with O or Q.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Adherents are the worst advertisement for every religion, y'know? Case in point, the whole discussion about what happens in FATE when something catches on fire, that made it sound like a bean-counting nightmare.

What happens in FATE when something catches on fire?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Sagan posted:

Marcie burns IRL for being a witch, of course.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Evil Sagan posted:

It gains the "On Fire" aspect which can be tagged for bonuses when fictionally appropriate, and it can also deal Stress to characters when fictionally appropriate.

But there's always a big ol' fuss about whether or not both of these things are true, and whether or not one is dependent on the other.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Davin Valkri posted:

So I just looked up MAID.

:stare:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Evil Sagan posted:

Depends on if you're playing NBA: Jams of Fate.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

Adherents are the worst advertisement for every religion, y'know? Case in point, the whole discussion about what happens in FATE when something catches on fire, that made it sound like a bean-counting nightmare.

To be fair while I take your point these two occurrences aren't mutually inclusive. I wouldn't classify WFRP as an "RPGnet darling," for instance, so much as one where the only active fanbase present on the forums is completely terrible at selling people on it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

To me, the weirdest thing about the whole setting-people-on-fire-in-Fate thing is that I don't think I've ever seen fire (or ongoing damage in general) come into play in a game that isn't D&D or related fantasy.

Maybe I'm just not setting enough characters on fire.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Nobody in your games reaches for napalm or mustard gas? I can think of a few FATE games (hello Transeldritch! Hello Storms!) where that might be par for the course.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Slice of Life: Went downstairs to find our diabetic cat in severe hypoglycemia/diabetic coma. Rushed her to the vet an have her on IVs. Poor kitty. :smith:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There have been way too many sick cats recently. I hope yours recovers quickly. :(

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

This is one of those jokes that has taken root in my soul. I want to run an anime-style FATE game where all the players are professional players of an extreme sci-fi sport by day and fight aliens using mechs or other unlikely technology that somehow has them using the same kind of coordination and skills by night.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

To me, the weirdest thing about the whole setting-people-on-fire-in-Fate thing is that I don't think I've ever seen fire (or ongoing damage in general) come into play in a game that isn't D&D or related fantasy.

I guarantee this happens in at least 50% of all Shadowrun games ever, though I suppose that might qualify as "D&D related fantasy" of a sort.

edit; also World of Darkness like a lot depending on which game you're playing. I know that my old Hunter: the Vigil group set a whole lot of poo poo on fire.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 9, 2014

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
In regards to IRC channels, my IRC channel #bubonicgames is a refuge for GURPS players.

Talkc posted:

So here's an idea:

What are the Dumbest/Greatest solutions to problems you've had characters come up with?

Greatest solution to vampires?

A tactical nuke dropped on their base.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Evil Sagan posted:

This is one of those jokes that has taken root in my soul. I want to run an anime-style FATE game where all the players are professional players of an extreme sci-fi sport by day and fight aliens using mechs or other unlikely technology that somehow has them using the same kind of coordination and skills by night.

I would legitimately love that game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
We also have #netrunner for Android: Netrunner players, now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Evil Sagan posted:

Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan! Jonathan!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Rasamune posted:

It gains the "On Fire" aspect which can be tagged for bonuses when fictionally appropriate, and it can also deal Stress to characters when fictionally appropriate.

But there's always a big ol' fuss about whether or not both of these things are true, and whether or not one is dependent on the other.

If you're doing it right, On Fire is a stunt. :colbert:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Evil Sagan posted:

I would be totally down for FATE Hoops Squad.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

I would be totally down for FATE Hoops Squad.

I just looked this up, and it is a perfect descriptor of what I'm aiming for. I was even thinking of Static Shock as being a style reference for the game, though I didn't know about Hoop Squad in particular.

This feels right. It feels like... I want to say destiny, but that's not quite the word....

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

grassy gnoll posted:

If you're doing it right, On Fire is a stunt. :colbert:

Ninjas can't grab you if you're on fire: +2 to attack and defend with combat while actually burning.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Talkc posted:

So here's an idea:

What are the Dumbest/Greatest solutions to problems you've had characters come up with?

Flooded a city and blessed all the water to get rid of a vampire infestation and the fact that it was currently on fire. Never allowed back in that city.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That seems kind of harsh considering the alternative at the time was "being on fire, also vampires."

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

That seems kind of harsh considering the alternative at the time was "being on fire, also vampires."

That kinda seems like problems that solve each other

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

fatherdog posted:

The fire was kind of our fault, too. It was our first plan to deal with the vampires and rally the local gnome community, but it turns out superhumanly fast undead can dodge Molotov cocktails pretty well and have the sense to leave the part of town where everyone and their dog has alchemist's fire and watch it burn.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

The fire was kind of our fault, too.

Well yeah, I figured that was a given.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Night10194 posted:

Flooded a city and blessed all the water to get rid of a vampire infestation and the fact that it was currently on fire. Never allowed back in that city.
George W. Bush just called, he said "Heck of a job, Night10194."

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Player Characters are the absolute best.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Once our group was playing a zombie apocalypse game. Some dictator was gobbling up territory and generally being an evil dictator. We found out he was getting shipments of brand new modern weapons smuggled in from somewhere else in the world. Our group, when we learned of this, figured anywhere that has manufacturing and shipments and the wealth to be trading with the dictator was going to be a better place to live than the wastes. So rather than do the good thing and stop the dictator and deal with all the plots we were involved in, we liquidated our assets and bribed our way onto the weapons ship and rode it back to the nicer civilization, living out comfortable and uneventful lives.

FMguru posted:

George W. Bush just called, he said "Heck of a job, Night10194."

Hahaha.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

Well it's marginally better than flooding a city and the plains around it and then using an alchemical formula to turn the water chemically flammable and then setting it on fire.

Wizards: No sense of right or wrong.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Wizards: No sense of right or wrong.

Kanye was right!

Halloween Jack posted:

May I use this name?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Evil Sagan posted:

Kanye was right!

May I use this name?

Only if it's okay with Mr. NBA.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Arivia posted:

One guess, and their name does not start with O or Q.

He did, and to be fair to him all of the enemies were caricatures of MRAs/PUAs.

But yeah.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Wait; so who was it?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Plutonis.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

fatherdog posted:

You'd think so, but not in practice.
[TIMG]http://i.imgur.com/opV7xCC.jpg[/TMG]

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Evil Sagan posted:

Kanye was right!

May I use this name?
I'm poo poo at basketball, so go ahead. But if you start a game about alien-battling rugby players, I want in on the ground floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Talkc posted:

Ah, Shadowrun...

Once our group of runners ended up taking a job to retrieve a bunch of artists' recordings being held in a physical medium in a recording studio. We booked the studio fronting as a band in order to get in quietly, and in order to alleviate the suspicions of the incredibly manic AI that ran the place and get access to the place where the recordings were being held, we ended up deciding to actually play and record a punk rock song, during which our "drummer" (a mage) rolled a critical glitch that resulted in him accidentally stabbing himself with a broken drumstick.

This was the same campaign in which we actually nuked part of the Amazon rainforest in order to get rid of an incredibly powerful rogue blood spirit. This was arguably justified, but our characters were dead men walking after that. Mine very nearly died of radiation poisoning during the botched escape and a massive multi-million-nuyen bounty was put out on our group for, you know, nuking a rainforest.

In my current D&D game I play a Paladin and I really really wanted to ride a dragon for Reasons. I expressed this desire to my GM, so he saddled me with a half horse, half red (yes, red) dragon abomination courtesy of the rich Evil family in her backstory. He likes to steal and hoard treasure but he has 3 intelligence so it's like having an extremely grabby toddler that also breathes fire.

• Locked thread