Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White God really seems to be special mojo considering what we know about him, but it doesn't necessarily mean he is the one true God. I wouldn't be surprised if Harry meets him someday.

... and he is of course Harry Dresden's time-travelling clone from an alternate dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
...and you can only differentiate between them because one has a goatee wears a hat.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Going through my re-read.

We still don't have confirmation of who was behind the Hexenwolf belts in Fool Moon, correct? Apart from a general indication that it may have been Lord Raith, since 1) Raith was probably behind the events of Storm Front, 2) the Hexenwolves were told Harry was dangerous (thus aiming them at him somewhat indirectly), 3) the White Court operates indirectly, and 4) there seems to have been a Nemesis connection?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We still don't have confirmation of who was behind the Hexenwolf belts in Fool Moon, correct? Apart from a general indication that it may have been Lord Raith, since 1) Raith was probably behind the events of Storm Front, 2) the Hexenwolves were told Harry was dangerous (thus aiming them at him somewhat indirectly), 3) the White Court operates indirectly, and 4) there seems to have been a Nemesis connection?

We don't know who gave them but they were under the influence of Nemesis, yes.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Mooktastical posted:

Post a picture of the cover

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Is that a soulpatch-a-like goatee? Ewwwwwwwwwwww

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Illuyankas posted:

I think it's shadow.... Maybe.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Illuyankas posted:

Light goatee big soulpatch.

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
Just started Grave Peril. I'm about 50 pages in and can already see how Butcher is improving as a writer. It's funnier, and more confident.

But goddamn is Butcher capable of describing a woman in a non-creepy/misogynistic way? It's just so off-putting. Does he really have to describe the size and shape of the breasts of every new female character?

electricsugar fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

electricsugar posted:

But goddamn is Butcher capable of describing a woman in a non-creepy/misogynistic way? It's just so off-putting. Does he really have to describe the size and shape of the breasts of every new female character?

It never really goes away but he does tone it down a little.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ImpAtom posted:

It never really goes away but he does tone it down a little.

He also gets taken down a peg early(ish) and often by just about every supporting character.

IMO, it boils down to Harry being a goony douche early on as a character flaw that he grows out of. He's not that way because Jim Butcher actually thinks like that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I wonder if, metaphorically speaking, Michael ended the book with a complimentary bag of peanuts or a copy of Skymall.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tunicate posted:

I wonder if, metaphorically speaking, Michael ended the book with a complimentary bag of peanuts or a copy of Skymall.

Micheal really wouldn't be the type to try anything like that, plus he lacks the knowledge of how to even go about doing anything other than what he always did as a Knight (though the bit where he shattered Imariel/Tessa might have been an instance of it, since Nicodemus was so shocked by it).

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

Wait, where're you getting the Raith-Storm Front connection? I never picked up on that.

whurps accidental mod edit sorry!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 9, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Screen Door Slams posted:

Wait, where're you getting the Raith-Storm Front connection? I never picked up on that.

It's subtly hinted in a few different ways. The biggest hint is that Victor Sell's previous employer was "SilverCo". Plus it fits the same MO as in Blood Rites, Sells uses lust to power his magic, the first two targets are direct competitors, etc.

electricsugar posted:

Every other aspect of the series gets significantly better!

Real answer: he gets slightly better about it but this is probably the area where he's shown the least improvement overall.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 9, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tunicate posted:

Well I mean he did end up with something non-metaphorically speaking, and he didn't even want that, so I don't think he grabbed anything extra. If anything its just that his retirement plan may be better

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

It's subtly hinted in a few different ways. The biggest hint is that Victor Sell's previous employer was "SilverCo". Plus it fits the same MO as in Blood Rites, Sells uses lust to power his magic, the first two targets are direct competitors, etc.

Huh, interesting. I never picked up on that.

Every other aspect of the series gets significantly better!

Real answer: he gets slightly better about it but this is probably the area where he's shown the least improvement overall.

I just finished reading Codex Alera (pretty damned good, but not as good as Dresden) and it, along with the Dresdenverse short stories that aren't narrated by Harry, really convinced me that the thing with women is an intentional character choice for Harry, and not a fault of Butcher's.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Screen Door Slams posted:

I just finished reading Codex Alera (pretty damned good, but not as good as Dresden) and it, along with the Dresdenverse short stories that aren't narrated by Harry, really convinced me that the thing with women is an intentional character choice for Harry, and not a fault of Butcher's.
Skin Game even has a scene where Harry ogles at the hot warlock while wearing iron manacles and then goes "Oh poo poo i can't even blame the Winter Mantle this time".

So Butcher at the very least acknowledges he's been putting on the creep pretty hard :v:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I'm okay with not liking certain aspects of a character I like. That means he's well rounded.

I think we should make a blog to address his constant supernatural shaming though.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
This isn't to defend or apologize for the objectification. But I'd much rather read a story filled with cheesecake than one that spends every line of physical description on character's ugliness. It's not hard to write a description of any given person as attractive or no, and this is pulp after all. Dresden is a pig, that's the point.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ZorajitZorajit posted:

This isn't to defend or apologize for the objectification. But I'd much rather read a story filled with cheesecake than one that spends every line of physical description on character's ugliness. It's not hard to write a description of any given person as attractive or no, and this is pulp after all. Dresden is a pig, that's the point.

Counterpoint: Lancelot in The Once and Future King

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
I'd like to put it to a vote. For those that have seen Butcher in person, is his answer of "Huh, that seems like an inconsistency" annoying or funny to you?

I'm with the latter. Wasn't quite smug enough to annoy me.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Captain Capacitor posted:

I'd like to put it to a vote. For those that have seen Butcher in person, is his answer of "Huh, that seems like an inconsistency" annoying or funny to you?

Funny.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

He says it with such a poo poo-eating smirk and barely-concealed glee that you know he's doing the equivalent of *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*.

It's funny. Butcher is funny.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

docbeard posted:

We also know almost nothing about Malcolm Dresden other than "stage magician" and "good people" and "probably murdered". (My gut tells me that his spirit is working for Uriel these days, but that's just speculation.)

This is from a few pages back, but I haven't seen anyone respond to it yet.

Either I am misremembering things pretty badly or at one point in Ghost Story there's a ghost desk cop (at the point where Uriel is telling Harry he could give up and not go back to his body and instead sign on as a ghost spook) which I vaguely remember as being implied that this was Harry's dad.

Not sure if that's something I should be spoilering, but whatever, just in case.

Maybe I should go back and read Ghost Story again.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Yes.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I should probably re-read Ghost Story. I skimmed past a lot of stuff in it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Funny, it drives people nuts and watching them all freak out in speculation entertains me. I'm pretty sure on his own website he states he enjoys doing that to people too.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

WarLocke posted:

This is from a few pages back, but I haven't seen anyone respond to it yet.

Either I am misremembering things pretty badly or at one point in Ghost Story there's a ghost desk cop (at the point where Uriel is telling Harry he could give up and not go back to his body and instead sign on as a ghost spook) which I vaguely remember as being implied that this was Harry's dad.

Not sure if that's something I should be spoilering, but whatever, just in case.

Maybe I should go back and read Ghost Story again.

Wasn't it Murphy's dad that was the ghost cop?

Though I haven't read it in quite a while either so I could certainly be mistaken.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dramatika posted:

Wasn't it Murphy's dad that was the ghost cop?

Though I haven't read it in quite a while either so I could certainly be mistaken.

Yeah, no, the character that was literally named "Captain Murphy" doesn't need to be spoiled in a discussion about whether the person was Dresden's dad or not.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, no, the character that was literally named "Captain Murphy" doesn't need to be spoiled in a discussion about whether the person was Dresden's dad or not.

Murphy and Harry have the same dad. He lead a double life as a full time investigator in Chciago and a travelling stage magician. Butcher is setting up for a giant "Leia's your sister" moment. Harry and Ramirez OTP.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Like I said, it's been a while. Harry is obviously Murphy's dad, as well as McCoy's dad.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
Okay, I finished my re-read.

A couple more things.

In case of new readers of the series, spoiler for Cold days and further:

1) Has anyone noticed not only that the mantles seem to always be taken by people who are mortal (or half mortal?). And have you noticed that none of the people wearing the minor mantles actually *wanted* it? Even Fix didn't want the Summer Knight mantle for itself, he only wanted it because of Lily. Sarissa didn't want it. Molly didn't want it. Harry didn't want it....

2) I had a huge lightbulb go off when I reread the section on the holy artifacts and the "real" Shroud. Could Demeter's daughter Persephone be the one who is resurrected "from the dead"?

3) Oh. Hi. Good. :roflolmao: I would have loved more on the air spirit, but honestly, after Butters! it really would have been anticlimactic.

I saw a guess that Peace Talks would be out in August 2015. I am half-wondering if it will be a Christmas release if he gets at all delayed :sassargh:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Zola posted:

Okay, I finished my re-read.

A couple more things.

In case of new readers of the series, spoiler for Cold days and further:

1) Has anyone noticed not only that the mantles seem to always be taken by people who are mortal (or half mortal?). And have you noticed that none of the people wearing the minor mantles actually *wanted* it? Even Fix didn't want the Summer Knight mantle for itself, he only wanted it because of Lily. Sarissa didn't want it. Molly didn't want it. Harry didn't want it....

The Knights at least have to be mortal; they're literally the Faerie courts' mortal representatives, is how I understand it.

The Lady/Queen/Hag (though I'd be shocked to see Hags change hands) mantles go to the most faerie-connected person in the vicinity - I assume most such transfers are much more planned than those that have happened recently - and a lot less common...

As for the not wanting it thing... I don't think anybody really does; they seem to come with WAAAY the hell more responsibility than power, and corrupt the gently caress out of what you used to be to turn you into what they are.

It's like politicians, the people who want the mantles are the last people who should get them.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

The Knights at least have to be mortal; they're literally the Faerie courts' mortal representatives, is how I understand it.

The Lady/Queen/Hag (though I'd be shocked to see Hags change hands) mantles go to the most faerie-connected person in the vicinity - I assume most such transfers are much more planned than those that have happened recently - and a lot less common...

As for the not wanting it thing... I don't think anybody really does; they seem to come with WAAAY the hell more responsibility than power, and corrupt the gently caress out of what you used to be to turn you into what they are.

It's like politicians, the people who want the mantles are the last people who should get them.

I don't think most people who take up the Summer/Winter Mantles know nearly as much as Harry did going into it. They probably don't hear about the responsibilities and the danger until after they sign up.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Supposedly Mother Summer has changed once when the previous one abdicated, but Mother Winter is the original.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fried Chicken posted:

Supposedly Mother Summer has changed once when the previous one abdicated, but Mother Winter is the original.

Yeah, it seems the further down the totem pole you go the more turnover there is.

We know there have been at least two Queens per court, at least 3 Ladies (though odds are probably more than that since Maeve was only two hundred years old and Mab/Titania have been around for more than a thousand years if the Hastings comment is anything to go by) and then dozens or hundreds of knights.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

To be fair, objectifying descriptions of women are a staple of the detective novels that inspired Dresden. After the first couple of books Butcher shifts away from Harry being horribly fedora-in-the-2010s goony about women and brings him more into line with fedora-in-the-30s PIs, and from there on it's not so noticable.

And then Skin Game, which has that one scene which really didn't need to go into so much goddamn detail.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Roger Tangerines posted:

To be fair, objectifying descriptions of women are a staple of the detective novels that inspired Dresden. After the first couple of books Butcher shifts away from Harry being horribly fedora-in-the-2010s goony about women and brings him more into line with fedora-in-the-30s PIs, and from there on it's not so noticable.

And then Skin Game, which has that one scene which really didn't need to go into so much goddamn detail.

Yeah the problem is that in Skin Game and Cold Days he just sortof went off the deep end with the objectification. Nothing in Skin Game was as unnecessary as the "vajazzling."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012
It was so bad in Cold Days that I barely noticed it in Skin Game. I really hope I never have to read about Dresden explaining how he isn't going to rape someone (even though he really wants to) ever again.