Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm just sitting at my desk refreshing the page about once a minute. I'm actually not leaving to go get lunch because I'm afraid I'll miss it and thus miss the precious 2-3 minute window before everything good is gone.

So hungry. :(

Jesus people, I said 5pm Central Standard Time (CST). That's like 6 hours away.

:siren:OMG Click me!:siren:For timezone stuff!

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Esser-Z posted:

I'm probably going to buy some used Tau and paint them up in Third Street Saints colors for RL play.

No, don't do this. We already hang out and this would make it weird. Farsight enclaves painted in a saints scheme is my main army.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Any idea who makes these?

Found them on ebay. Plague Marine Obliterators. I'm assuming they are OOP bc there is no way whoever made them didn't get sued out the rear end

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I have no proof but I would not be in the least bit surprised to find that the Perry brothers' plastics are produced in the GW factory given their hand in glove ties to the company and staff.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dr. Lenin posted:

Any idea who makes these?

Found them on ebay. Plague Marine Obliterators. I'm assuming they are OOP bc there is no way whoever made them didn't get sued out the rear end

There's a Russian recaster selling those on eBay, right? I can see actual GW bits used in there (the combi-melta, plasma guns, etc) but they're a garage kit. Same as the Obliterators I got a while back, also from some Russian dude who only sells recasts:

I asked him who made them, and he wouldn't say. I still bought a set of three since they're great models but I haven't the faintest who makes em.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

SpikeMcclane posted:

No, don't do this. We already hang out and this would make it weird. Farsight enclaves painted in a saints scheme is my main army.

Great minds and all that, man! Great colors and mecha are a combo I can't pass up!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

serious gaylord posted:

You're utterly failing to grasp the point I'm making. GW felt that their facebook pages were pointless, due in large part to the fact they were constantly hijacked by dick wads. They then removed these pages as they didnt feel it was worth the hassle of managing them.

Clearly bigger companies have the budget to do this. But please, continue to add hyperbole because someone on the internet doesn't agree with you.

See, here's the problem with that line of thinking-for a company, having a social media presence isn't just a way to tell people "Hey, we exist," though it often can be. What they primarily serve as for many companies is a way to control information about their company and their product. Think about this-one of the biggest complaints made of this thread and its predecessors, particularly in the week before the last thread became unbound, was that with every blurry scan of half a page of an Italian copy of White Dwarf half the posters in the thread would start screaming about how the game was ruined forever and they were selling all their models and going to go play Warmachine. Now, this reaction is for a variety of reasons-people don't trust GW after all these years, their experience with new releases (Tyranids) hasn't been great, but really it comes down to people trying to read the most they can out of an exceptionally small bit of information. What this tells me is that GW is awful at controlling information, which should be one of the primary focuses of a profit-driven company. For the two other games I play, Flames of War and X-Wing Miniatures, the vast majority of time I get my information about new releases straight from the source, through news articles and postings on their website, to which links are posted on Facebook. So, when Battlefront (The company behind Flames of War) announced the new Late-War book Bridge at Remagen, I immediately could share it on my wall, read about the new army lists and units in the book, and then tell my friends about the cool new stuff in the book. This is complete with developer diaries and model previews posted on the site, and the company even gave a fansite (What Would Patton Do?) a pre-release copy they could review and talk about on their site. Likewise, when Fantasy Flight Games announced Wave IV of its X-Wing miniatures, I could see and respond to it immediately, as well as learn about the new units on its site. So, while I follow the Historicals and X-Wing threads here on SA, I get my news about the games primarily from the companies themselves-which allows them to carefully craft how much I'll be seeing, when I'll see it, and maximize the chance I'll tell others through the ease of using the "Share" or "Like" button on Facebook.

With GW, it's the exact opposite. I have never bought a White Dwarf in my life, and even if I were in the habit of doing so I don't go to game stores that sell them often enough to get regular information about upcoming releases. I'm pretty much dependent on coming here or elsewhere for news on what GW's doing, and that information itself can vary greatly depending on what's being leaked, who's sharing it, and the over tone of the discussion. Like I said, I'm pumped as hell for the new FFG and FoW releases, because I know what's coming and I'm excited for them. When the new IG book was announced I was actively apprehensive about it, because I was sure they'd gently caress it up-and in a way they sort of did, but that's an entirely different discussion altogether.* What matters is GW hardly has any role in actually telling me about their products-all information gets to me secondhand at best, which is a terrible way to advertise and a terrible way to get people excited about their new releases. That's why GW should have a Facebook page, and that's why they're complete fools for getting rid of it-no matter how terrible the people posting the comments were, they were only a minority of the people actively reading and sharing the information GW was giving them, and I can guarantee you that audience was far larger than the number of people who actively purchase White Dwarf every week. It's cutting off your nose to spite your face in the worst way, and will only hurt GW and the game overall in the long run.

*Edit: I'm not saying the new IG book (I refuse to call it AM out of stubbornness) is bad-far from it. It's good, almost too good, but it's good in a disappointing manner because they made every character except Pask worse, didn't really change or address any of the issues that the old book had, and added what is possibly the most under-costed unit in the entire game. I still love Guard, and the book is good, it's just somewhat disappointing that this is what it comes down to: A few OP units, a few staples that got slightly better, and not much else.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 9, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Lungboy posted:

Surely you jest?!

Salvatore is probably the best hack hacking out licensed trash fiction these days. But nerds are worse than hipsters when it comes to making GBS threads on popular things for being popular, and Salvatore's signature character is hugely popular.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Esser-Z posted:

Great minds and all that, man! Great colors and mecha are a combo I can't pass up!

Well, I'll recommend priming white and airbrushing on createx pearl plum. It's slightly transparent, so if, after spraying it on, you want it darker, just do extra coats.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

SpikeMcclane posted:

Well, I'll recommend priming white and airbrushing on createx pearl plum. It's slightly transparent, so if, after spraying it on, you want it darker, just do extra coats.

I'll keep that in mind. I was going to use the same purple I used on this month's oath, though not washed so dark, and I don't yet have an airbrush, but I'll definitely keep it in mind!

It's probably a month or so out yet anyway, for budgetery reasons. Stupid bills.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was really hoping that 100 new posts meant more cool Ork leaks, but I guess I should know better by now :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

NTRabbit posted:

Dreadmforge is the obvious one, and I'm pretty sure there's some high quality historicals going around now, but that's not really my area.

So you've got nothing to back up your opinions, got it.

Seriously man, I'm as down on GW as anyone, but they're definitely top dog on plastic kits. Perry historicals are a very close second though.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The plastic kit I ordered from Japan the other day slaps my entire experience with GW around without effort. GW is the big rooster in wargames, but outside wargames there are some magical things being done with injection molded plastic and rubber, and much cheaper than GW offers. Kotobukiya and Bandai are downright nutso good.

In wargaming there are some great things being done with resin, but most of the hobby is focused on imitating the top dog, producing things that are compatible with the top dog or produce poo poo like the dickboobomination linked to earlier. GW is on top, like it or not.

tothelastman
Jan 30, 2013
Hey guys. I'm about to play a 2500 point campaign with a Black Templars/Blood Ravens list. I haven't played a space marine army since 2nd edition/early 3rd edition. I'm hoping your more experienced space marine players can give me some advice or point out weaknesses I don't see.

http://pastebin.com/eUWgU5ix

The idea is for the Blood Ravens tactical squad with the Libby and devastators to hold back and provide support for the main Templar advance. 2x Rhinos and 1 land raider crusader all filled with crusader squads rush forward to the objectives/enemy, trailed by the Blood Ravens tactical squad on foot. Turn 1 drop pod lands the venerable dreadnought somewhere to block enemy movement and hopefully take out or tie up a key vehicle. Land speeder supports either the main advance or the dreadnought as needed. Adeptus Astartes Storm Wing formation comes from reserves carrying the Thunderhammer Terminator squad. Stormtalons provide air cover/air support as needed while the Stormraven delivers the Terminators. Stormraven then also goes to air cover/air support role. Typhoon missile launchers on all the fliers so that they can go after fliers or ground targets.

We're fighting a Imperials vs Chaos campaign. Chaos team has mostly CSM. One guy has Thousand Sons CSM and allied Tzeentch daemons. We're beerhammer guys that have been playing a long time and all have a good grasp of strategy and tactics in general.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I'm not packing anything for shipping, you'll have to pick it up on Staten Island, ya vultures.

Pick deese bones. If I'm not around my account stays logged in and I told Hannah to communicate to you from the goon afterlife.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Do you have any unpainted space marine/chaos stuff? If so, IM me and I'll buy that off you. Also we should finally get together and game. I'll even make the trip to Staten Island :)

Oh yeah! If I weren't constantly harassed by crooked cops and getting death threats from trash neighbors I might actually function well enough to go to the hobby shop, I forgot all about it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

The plastic kit I ordered from Japan the other day slaps my entire experience with GW around without effort. GW is the big rooster in wargames, but outside wargames there are some magical things being done with injection molded plastic and rubber, and much cheaper than GW offers. Kotobukiya and Bandai are downright nutso good.

Yeah actual model kits are phenomenal.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Post 9-11 User posted:

Pick deese bones. If I'm not around my account stays logged in and I told Hannah to communicate to you from the goon afterlife.

Um I don't need your haunted mans but goddamn I hope you don't actually die anytime soon, Christ.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah actual model kits are phenomenal.

Yeah, just don't look at their "collectables" or "figurines", particularly Kotobukiya USA. Turns out the miniature consumer base is terrible outside wargames too.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Lasting Damage posted:

I was really hoping that 100 new posts meant more cool Ork leaks, but I guess I should know better by now :(

Just imagine what it would be like if GW managed the flow of new rules/model information in a way designed for 2014, not 1990!

We could actually be talking about things instead of wishing that we could. Look at the Magic thread during spoiler season if you want to see people going crazy over (and of course, since this is nerd-dom, making GBS threads on) cool new stuff.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

No they don't? Apple engages with its community using exactly the same channels as all of the companies in that field, because they're all tech companies who recognise the value of the internet, chiefly because the products they are sell are the way people access the internet on a daily basis.

You are holding it wrong.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
I guess Forgeworld doesn't like Daemon Factories either?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

CyberLord XP posted:

Um I don't need your haunted mans but goddamn I hope you don't actually die anytime soon, Christ.

I can see it on eBay: RARE OOP PAINTER'S MINIS (CURSED, L@@K!)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

If failed, the Navigator's unit is Pinned, but they don't Go to Ground.

Forgeworld, masters of the rules.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Had my first game of 7th over the weekend, and for the first time in what feels like ages I actually enjoyed playing 40k. After spending a year trying out other games 40k was feeling particularly stale. We did the spoils of war mission and the tactical objectives really injected some much needed depth into the gameplay. On that note, I see the cards GW sells is 36 to a deck, but there are 66 to be rolled for on the tables. I gathered this is because there are three versions of “secure objective X” on the table in the rulebook.

Some lawyering: does this mean that in a game where the book’s tables are used, if 12 is rolled and then 22 is rolled, both are “secure objective 2.” Does this mean once an “objective 2” result is rolled and completed, you should ignore the other two since in the deck of cards wouldn’t have multiples of the same secure objective cards? It seems frivolous but in the game we played it actually came up a few times.

Also a small point I wanted clarified: if you have an empty Troops transport vehicle, since the book says it counts as what it was purchased for, could the vehicle then override other units to claim objectives as if it were a Troops squad, even if the actual squad is somewhere else on the table?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Get wrecked Daemon summoning.

I played my first gave of 7e, 1500 points, Big Guns Never Tire, using Psyker Heavy Daemons with 12 MLs worth of dice (Kairos, ML2 HoS, ML3 HoT, 16 Pink Horrors) vs. Necrons and I'm kind of on the fence about it, specifically the Psychic Phase. It was difficult enough remembering to do everything with Daemons before and now I have to stop and weigh the pros/cons of of how many dice to use and trying to remember to look for the new Perils. It just felt like the game ran super long for 1500 points. Highlight of the game, throwing 7 dice at a 3WC Flickering Fire at a game deciding clutch moment and only one die coming out 4+.

I'll reserve judgement after I get some more games in (both with Daemons and Tyranids) because I went all in with Psykers and kinda got wrecked because I didn't have any assault worthy FMCs and playing Dawn of War doesn't benefit Daemons when your opponent brings tons of Wraiths and Scarabs and my Pink Horrors got caught in assault on turn 3 and then I rolled double 6's for DI which made the unit implode. I know everybody loves Kairos (and for good reason) but every time I field him he never does as much work as an S8 LoC. I think the biggest revelation I got out of the game was that while I had fun, it wasn't relaxing at all trying to remember everything so I think my next project needs to be a boring move and shoot army, no crazy special rules or tons of Psyker stuff to deal with. Probably a pure shooting focused Eldar army with some rad as hell Jetbikes and Vypers and poo poo.

Also I just realized my friend had 3 units of Scarabs and 1 unit of Wraiths. More than likely just an accident but still, that would have completely changed the game as he assault intercepted my Outflanking Seekers (which was going to wipe out a 10 man Warrior unit on an Objective) with a unit of Scarabs that wouldn't have been there if the list was legal. Oh well.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 9, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

They also don't like the Psychic Phase. This is a writer taking one look at the new phase, going "gently caress this" and writing a sixth edition psyker.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Springfield Fatts posted:

Some lawyering: does this mean that in a game where the book’s tables are used, if 12 is rolled and then 22 is rolled, both are “secure objective 2.” Does this mean once an “objective 2” result is rolled and completed, you should ignore the other two since in the deck of cards wouldn’t have multiples of the same secure objective cards? It seems frivolous but in the game we played it actually came up a few times.

I don't think so! Note that one set is SECURE AND HOLD and another is CAPTURE AND CONTROL and so forth. They're three unique sets of objectives, just with the same goal.

Yes, that is lame. Especially if you('re opponent) gets multiple capture objective ones for an objective they already had, like I did.

Like Tau, we prospered.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Less than 1 hour until the WHFB/40k fire sale. Where the fire is you all shooting each other over man barbies!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

I see FW is still continuing their "we hate new rules and will work as hard as we can to circumvent them" policy. Very classy. The "Init test or die" flamer template is also a total throwback and totally ridiculous at 50pts.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Less than 1 hour until the WHFB/40k fire sale. Where the fire is you all shooting each other over man barbies!

Are we going to need to send you emails or jump through other hoops ("priority will be given to those who complete this grandmaster Sudoku puzzle") or is this a strictly speaking :protarget: deal?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Springfield Fatts posted:

Had my first game of 7th over the weekend, and for the first time in what feels like ages I actually enjoyed playing 40k. After spending a year trying out other games 40k was feeling particularly stale. We did the spoils of war mission and the tactical objectives really injected some much needed depth into the gameplay. On that note, I see the cards GW sells is 36 to a deck, but there are 66 to be rolled for on the tables. I gathered this is because there are three versions of “secure objective X” on the table in the rulebook

Umm, I hate to break it to you but that chart has only 36 options as well. There are no 17, 18, 19, 20, 27, 28, etc. choices to be found. There are only six sections with six choices per section. 6 x 6 = 36.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Sulecrist posted:

Are we going to need to send you emails or jump through other hoops ("priority will be given to those who complete this grandmaster Sudoku puzzle") or is this a strictly speaking :protarget: deal?
Yeah, got the same question. Mostly, I want to deprive Hollismason Daemons out of spite, so that he has to pay full GW prices for his insane schemes.

(I also took up an order from amongst my friends, so you'll be clearing out some of the more esoteric stuff as well.)

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Quick question before the sale starts, what version is the chaos lord on your excel list?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

AbusePuppy posted:

I see FW is still continuing their "we hate new rules and will work as hard as we can to circumvent them" policy. Very classy. The "Init test or die" flamer template is also a total throwback and totally ridiculous at 50pts.

jotww will never die

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

While there's a few things I want, I can't see myself grabbing over $150 worth :canada:

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
^^^
I have been debating lowering the limit to $50 or $75. I know $150 is a lot but it's a huge hassle for me to ship not using USPS and USPS rates are horrendous for overseas shipping.

:siren::frog::siren:
The SA Mart thread has been created and will open in about 25 minutes at 5pm Central Standard Time. Good luck
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641774
:frog::siren::frog:

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 9, 2014

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

Hey who were you? I'm still facebook friends with a fair number of SDW/EoW people but I'm not sure who still plays. I took a break for like six years but I back playing a lot of Kill Team and Zone Mortalis stuff. I know a few of us got into Warmachine; that's the first place I went after leaving the hobby completely until ~2011. I'm sure other Dub people are still posting in here but our names changed so many times that I don't remember who's who. I can't even remember my own names (I think I was Problems With Poop! or toot toot im a kroot at the end).
I was let's rub cocks together and snuggle, Thirsty Daddy, A Gross Bug, Kroots Magoo, and probably others. Only posting because I'm fondly remembering the stop-motion Kroot video that was responsible for everyone getting Kroot names. Looked on YouTube and couldn't find it... somehow having all the stop-motion Kroot come pouring onto the screen as NIN music started blasting was the best thing. If any old EoW people could find that video I'd be forever grateful.

My tree-Daemons are almost 100% painted, and my new Squats/psyker are almost done with the converting. Expect photos soon.

EDIT: Wasn't sure if I should go for glowing blue on the tree-Daemons, like my Tyranid psychic/toxic accents, or glowing green like my Catachan equipment, so I did Photoshop mockups. Think I'm gonna go with green. Still need to do a bunch of painting and basing work before they're done, but you can pretty much see what they'll look like. They just need more detail and contrast.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 9, 2014

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

jng2058 posted:

Umm, I hate to break it to you but that chart has only 36 options as well. There are no 17, 18, 19, 20, 27, 28, etc. choices to be found. There are only six sections with six choices per section. 6 x 6 = 36.

Just expanding on this, you're supposed to roll 2D6 to get things from the chart, with one die being tens and another ones. That makes it impossible to roll below 11, or get a 17, 18, 19, 20, 27, etc. Also, there are 3 sets of "Claim objective X", probably for balance reasons. It makes half the deck be "get this objective", and also increases the odds of you and your opponent both requiring the same objective. This isn't a perfect system, of course, and probably will get expanded on or FAQ'd or changed entirely in 2 years in 8th Edition.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

That template weapon isn't that bad, only affects infantry, doesn't affect invulnerables. Still holy poo poo 50 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

I can see it on eBay: RARE OOP PAINTER'S MINIS (CURSED, L@@K!)

What Eldars and IG do you have. I can get someone to pick them up and I don't mind looting the-soon-to-be goone.

Seriously don't do it. Just stop reading politics threads and suddenly the world is better, really!

• Locked thread