Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Will be 31 in a month. Thinner and in better shape than I've ever been thanks to bikes.

I get ID'ed a lot more now then when I was 19-25ish. Used to get into bars underage all the time. Now places have those id everyone all the time policies. Funny thing is I'm in Canada a lot and have never been ID'ed for alcohol but got checked at a rated r movie last year.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've been on this fitness quest for 70 days now and let me tell you, it's amazing to feel better at 35 than I did at 25. I've lost 20 loving pounds, sleep like a baby and have energy all day.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

God dammit road construction and your sharp edges of milled asphalt

Only 10k miles on it too.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

43 here and I know Leica is also within a year of me because I notice it every time he mentions it.

My 30's were great but as of now each year is better than the last. I just passed 5 years at my 4th job ever (not counting McDonald's in my teens) and will likely get another raise when I have my review tomorrow.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh God, what did I start?

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I've talked before about my '64 Bel Air with the wheezy old 283. The dilemma between rebuilding or dropping in a new crate.

Now a new option has presented itself. A local machine shop/engine builder has a rebuilt 327 for sale. .030 over, fresh 202 heads, original iron 4 barrel intake with the rebuilt Rochester. New OEM spec cam. So basically built to original specs of the factory 250 horse model. Carb to pan ready to run for $1800. Already been run in on a stand. 60k mile warranty.

On one hand rebuilding the 283 would be a good learning experience - but even putting it together myself would cost almost as much as the 327.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Find a way to rig up an LS series instead. You know you wanna destroy that old guy cred. Especially with all these geezers in here talking about Medicaid this and Obummer that.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I've contemplated a 5.3 truck motor with an overdrive but its beyond my skill level. Besides, it's a poverty spec sedan. Manual steering and drums.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

LloydDobler posted:

43 here and I know Leica is also within a year of me

As is meatpimp. I'm a year behind y'all.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I just turned 31 a few days ago. I lost most of my 20s to depression and chronic pain from facial nerve damage, which led to more depression and bad substance use habits. I finally feel back in the saddle again, only I'm where I wanted to be when I was 21, not 31. I have some catching up to do.

As much as I hate my town it's nice to have some nice views a 5 minute drive and 10 minute climb away:

http://i.imgur.com/VVGidx5.jpg

blk fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 9, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bucephalus posted:

As is meatpimp. I'm a year behind y'all.

Who says you're a stalker?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Thelonious posted:

I've talked before about my '64 Bel Air with the wheezy old 283. The dilemma between rebuilding or dropping in a new crate.

Now a new option has presented itself. A local machine shop/engine builder has a rebuilt 327 for sale. .030 over, fresh 202 heads, original iron 4 barrel intake with the rebuilt Rochester. New OEM spec cam. So basically built to original specs of the factory 250 horse model. Carb to pan ready to run for $1800. Already been run in on a stand. 60k mile warranty.

On one hand rebuilding the 283 would be a good learning experience - but even putting it together myself would cost almost as much as the 327.

Do the 327 for sure. Its the only one thats cooler than a 283 and much more potential. Put a bigger cam in it though, it will wake it right up.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Thelonious posted:

I've contemplated a 5.3 truck motor with an overdrive but its beyond my skill level. Besides, it's a poverty spec sedan. Manual steering and drums.

Gotta learn somewhere, man. Start with power steering. New steering gear and pitman arm, p/s pump and hoses, maybe a new pulley or 2. Then move to the brakes. I'm sure there's tons of info available on swapping to either power discs or at least power disc/drum. Once that's done, start looking into engine swaps. New engines into old cars is nothing new at all. However, 327s are bad rear end.

I've got a '71 Nova sedan that I'm in the process of swapping the brakes on and have already swapped the steering gear. I'm definitely going 6-speed, but I don't know if I want to go Gen3/Gen4 small-block in front of it.

:4doors4lyfe:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rhyno posted:

I've been on this fitness quest for 70 days now and let me tell you, it's amazing to feel better at 35 than I did at 25. I've lost 20 loving pounds, sleep like a baby and have energy all day.

I've been resonably consistently fitter from 37 to today that what I was at 30 to 35. Lighter too. Actually, I'm fitter today than when I did martial arts as a teen to mid 20's - ramping up to 70.3 long course triathlons will do that. I've swapped motorracing for mountain bikes and triathlon - I dont miss the raging assholes who populate motorsport, do miss throwing it sideways at huge speeds. However.... I dunno, I get more sense of achievement with the MTB or finishing a triathlon.

45 really doesnt have to be the point of a midlife crisis, you can be fitter than ever and enjoy life. Hell a few nights ago I had a true Zen moment being at absolute peace with myself and what I was doing (Riding at 40kph on the TT bike - weird way to reach that state). It's not much buuuut..... I'm not eating my life away sitting on my rear end in front of the idiot box. I'll hopefully if the weather turns good be riding 65kms THEN do a few kms run. I could not dreamed of doing that 20 years ago.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Cat Terrist posted:

I've been resonably consistently fitter from 37 to today that what I was at 30 to 35. Lighter too. Actually, I'm fitter today than when I did martial arts as a teen to mid 20's - ramping up to 70.3 long course triathlons will do that. I've swapped motorracing for mountain bikes and triathlon - I dont miss the raging assholes who populate motorsport, do miss throwing it sideways at huge speeds. However.... I dunno, I get more sense of achievement with the MTB or finishing a triathlon.

45 really doesnt have to be the point of a midlife crisis, you can be fitter than ever and enjoy life. Hell a few nights ago I had a true Zen moment being at absolute peace with myself and what I was doing (Riding at 40kph on the TT bike - weird way to reach that state). It's not much buuuut..... I'm not eating my life away sitting on my rear end in front of the idiot box. I'll hopefully if the weather turns good be riding 65kms THEN do a few kms run. I could not dreamed of doing that 20 years ago.

I'm a long distance roadie and until a year or so ago did lots of centuries, double centuries etc. I'm having some fatigue issues that are getting in the way right now, but the sense of achievement I had on my first 100 mile day was fabulous, as it was the first year I rode 10,000 miles.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

Will be 31 in a month. Thinner and in better shape than I've ever been thanks to bikes.

I get ID'ed a lot more now then when I was 19-25ish. Used to get into bars underage all the time. Now places have those id everyone all the time policies. Funny thing is I'm in Canada a lot and have never been ID'ed for alcohol but got checked at a rated r movie last year.

I have the same issue. I get carded all the time now (30) unless I'm wearing a suit. The last person who carded me looked at my birthday and said something like "holy poo poo."
When I turned 21, I walked into my local store, bought six pack and was mildly disappointed I did not get carded. This continued for like 7 years, where I'd only get carded if a friend did first. I think I'm a benjamin button or some poo poo.
The bad part about being 30 is now I can't pass my stupid mistakes off as youthful indiscretions that happened in my 20s.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

blk posted:

I'm a long distance roadie and until a year or so ago did lots of centuries, double centuries etc. I'm having some fatigue issues that are getting in the way right now, but the sense of achievement I had on my first 100 mile day was fabulous, as it was the first year I rode 10,000 miles.

a) You on Strava? (Seems ot be the question every cyclists asks now...!)

b) Holy poo poo, double Imperial centuries?!?!? That's impressive, I've only dont a couple of 160kms. I want to hit out and do a metric double soon but fuuuuuuu douple Imperial, legs hurt thinking about it

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I haven't been carded, well, ever.

On the other hand, a friend of mine is patient zero for "How Japanese Women Age" disease, and still occasionally gets asked for ID. She's 56.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
What is with that I wonder? My experience has been similar. I have been ID'd more since I turned 30 than when I was 21-30.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Depends on the store, depends on whos working. My dad is 67 and will get carded sometimes. Im 28, look younger than that and sometimes don't.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

Who says you're a stalker?

I just wanted some high-quality meat :(

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Who's heard of the Alabama Bondage Club?

Roll Tied!

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 10, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bucephalus posted:

I just wanted some high-quality meat :(

Well, I'm sure you know where to find me. :gonk:

:wink:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Coasterphreak posted:

Who's heard of the Alabama Bondage Club?

Roll Tied!

Huh?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

"Roll Tide" is the rally cry for the University of Alabama Crimson Tide sports teams, so it's a play on that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

"Roll Tide" is the rally cry for the University of Alabama Crimson Tide sports teams, so it's a play on that.

AHAHAHAHA you are making GBS threads me! Sporting teams are literally named a slang for a woman's period?????

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Slow is Fast posted:

I'll be 27 in November.

I'm not thrilled about it.

Sup almost-birthday buddy. I'm okay with being almost-30. I get better with age.

nm posted:

The bad part about being 30 is now I can't pass my stupid mistakes off as youthful indiscretions that happened in my 20s.

The cool part about being older is that you usually have the tools and fortitude to deal with your stupid mistakes. I keep making dumb mistakes, but they get easier to deal with as I get older. Or maybe I just care less.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

AHAHAHAHA you are making GBS threads me! Sporting teams are literally named a slang for a woman's period?????

It's Alabama. They're not really well acquainted with womens' health.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Cat Terrist posted:

The nickname was coined in 1907, so it's been around longer than the slang you're talking about.

The bus system that was a brand new addition to campus when I was a sophomore there was (unfortunately) named the "Crimson Ride". Lotta jokes there. Lotta jokes. Also, our SGA President when I was there got arrested for drunk and disorderly (and maybe drug possession?) in Birmingham, and kept his position and was re-elected.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Viper_3000 posted:

The nickname was coined in 1907, so it's been around longer than the slang you're talking about.

To add to this, the nickname has to do with the (now seemingly) annual red algae bloom in the Gulf of Mexico, which is extremely toxic and renders the marine life inedible for some period of time when it happens.

goatse guy posted:

The cool part about being older is that you usually have the tools and fortitude to deal with your stupid mistakes. I keep making dumb mistakes, but they get easier to deal with as I get older. Or maybe I just care less.

Being now just north of 30 myself (31 in August :haw:), I would have to say it's more perspective than anything. As you get older, you learn that some things just aren't that much of a big deal if they go wrong. That said, there are a lot of people who don't seem to gain that kind of perspective either, and are miserable for it. I can think of a few people that I know who are my age (and older) that still act/think like they're not far removed from high school. Suffice it to say, I find them very tiresome to be around for any length of time, what with all the drama they seem to find (or invent).

MrChips fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 10, 2014

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date
My brother is building a very, VERY sick project Camaro. It started life as a very boring base model '80 305ci automatic, and will now be wearing a somewhat mild 327 and a Muncie 4-speed. Most of the suspension has been upgraded, complete with subframe reinforcements for use on track days and for autocross.

We are looking for some 16" or 17" wheels that would be era-correct, or at least look appropriate on a 2nd generation road racing F-body. Any suggestions?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Viper_3000 posted:

My Grandfather was using that slang when I was a kid (yeah I bet THAT was funny when I asked mum what Grandpa was saying!) and as far as I am aware it goes back further. Maybe not in the USA, but hey, this is still utterly priceless :D

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

That Suburban of mine is out sick. I think the oil pump was dying - got an idiot light and the oil pressure was bouncing between not much, zero and normal. I figured that this meant I had a leak and the pickup was having trouble getting enough oil... nope. Dumped five quarts into it and then I checked the dipstick, which told Dipshit Zucchini that I had exactly twice as much oil as I was supposed to have. Drove it around a little more and still kept getting that poo poo with the oil gauge. Figured I'd deal with it for the weekend and bring it into the shop on Monda*clicketyclicketyclickety*

fffffffff:tizzy:ccckkkk.

So I clattered it half a mile to a friend's house. Called the shop while they were open today, gonna get it towed in after-hours in a little while so they can see if I need a rebuild a new car. Options as I see it are these:

1. Don't need to rebuild engine, can afford to fix, should buy a new car anyway but gently caress you I want my Suburban
2. Need to rebuild engine, costs $car, buy a new one, sell Suburban for $metal, weep over loss
3. Need to rebuild engine, no clue how much the parts and tools will cost, end of wonderful friendship, will probably have to get rid of tools when done

So I live in a military barracks but I've got a friend who lives off post. I have almost no tools (got a set of wrenches, a timing light and that's about it) nor a place to keep them for myself if I buy them, so if I go for option 3 I'd have to keep them (including an engine winch) at his house, and we'll both have to leave in September. Furthermore I haven't done anything more sophisticated than swap (and yell at) a set of drum brakes so I'd be in way over my head. Needless to say, that friend wouldn't be much of one after having to deal with a clueless idiot rebuilding an engine in his driveway.

Guessing you all would recommend option 3.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 10, 2014

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Slow is Fast posted:

I'll be 27 in November.

I'm not thrilled about it.

When in November? I'm 28 on the 8th.

I've really enjoyed the last couple years. I'm making decent money, have a job I really enjoy and a business that's profitable on minimal work, and a quite reasonable female companion. I'm also in a hell of a lot better shape than I was in college. I just didn't give a drat about anything in those days and it showed.

angryhampster in college:

angryhampster last fall (bonus SR-71 in background)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Friar Zucchini posted:

That Suburban of mine is out sick. I think the oil pump was dying - got an idiot light and the oil pressure was bouncing between not much, zero and normal. I figured that this meant I had a leak and the pickup was having trouble getting enough oil... nope. Dumped five quarts into it and then I checked the dipstick, which told Dipshit Zucchini that I had exactly twice as much oil as I was supposed to have. Drove it around a little more and still kept getting that poo poo with the oil gauge. Figured I'd deal with it for the weekend and bring it into the shop on Monda*clicketyclicketyclickety*

fffffffff:tizzy:ccckkkk.

So I clattered it half a mile to a friend's house. Called the shop while they were open today, gonna get it towed in after-hours in a little while so they can see if I need a rebuild a new car. Options as I see it are these:

1. Don't need to rebuild engine, can afford to fix, should buy a new car anyway but gently caress you I want my Suburban
2. Need to rebuild engine, costs $car, buy a new one, sell Suburban for $metal, weep over loss
3. Need to rebuild engine, no clue how much the parts and tools will cost, end of wonderful friendship, will probably have to get rid of tools when done

So I live in a military barracks but I've got a friend who lives off post. I have almost no tools (got a set of wrenches, a timing light and that's about it) nor a place to keep them for myself if I buy them, so if I go for option 3 I'd have to keep them (including an engine winch) at his house, and we'll both have to leave in September. Furthermore I haven't done anything more sophisticated than swap (and yell at) a set of drum brakes so I'd be in way over my head. Needless to say, that friend wouldn't be much of one after having to deal with a clueless idiot rebuilding an engine in his driveway.

Guessing you all would recommend option 3.

Where are you stationed? There might be a goon near you with a mega set of tools who can help out, most bases have some kind of vehicle work shop they allow their duders to work at too, if you go for (3).

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm 23 and getting quite bald up front, which really sucks, but doctors are starting to think it may be from a nutrition issue thanks to years of diarrhoea from undiagnosed lactose intolerance

So maybe I'll get my hair back!

Next time someone asks why I'm bald I'm going to tell them it's all of the diarrhea :D

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

STR cat quit eating again, and has a lot of mud butt action going on (also quit grooming himself). Along with a lot of hair falling out.

So if any of you balding guys need some light colored hair, my cat is giving most of his away at the moment. Mixture of red and blonde. Any takers? :shepicide:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mat_Drinks posted:

Next time someone asks why I'm bald I'm going to tell them it's all of the diarrhea :D

I honestly would rather people think it's male pattern balding than have to explain that it's from making GBS threads my brains out every time I eat dairy :3:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009

ABP by some internet wunderkind in the Awesome AI poo poo thread

• Locked thread