Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

There was a good period where Bryan and Vinny were talking up Impact as a good show though. Was a sad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

HulkaMatt posted:

There was a good period where Bryan and Vinny were talking up Impact as a good show though. Was a sad time.

Was that the same Claire Lynch period that some of us loved TNA here too?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

triplexpac posted:

If I remember right, it was after it. Like, early 2013.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

triplexpac posted:

The period between shortly before Lockdown 2012 until Austin Aries winning the TNA Title had a clear direction and was fantastic. There was still some bad stuff like all TV shows have, but even then some of the stuff that should have been terrible like Claire Lynch led to it being played completely straight and Bad Influence being so absurdly wonderful that I cannot possibly complain about it.

Edit: Oh wait, never mind, I recall they liked the period shortly after the Aces and Eights revealed Bully as their leader, mostly because Bully being the mean ugly leader of a stable of mean ugly people made a lot of sense.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
D'amore period was great.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Great White Hope posted:

Edit: Oh wait, never mind, I recall they liked the period shortly after the Aces and Eights revealed Bully as their leader, mostly because Bully being the mean ugly leader of a stable of mean ugly people made a lot of sense.

Yeah, and I think Bully as leader had some direction, which TNA then dragged out for 172 months and didn't go anywhere with it after all.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

There were still lovely PPVs to hate on. In 2012, Impact won the Observer Award for Best Weekly Show and TNA won Worst Promotion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

There were still lovely PPVs to hate on. In 2012, Impact won the Observer Award for Best Weekly Show and TNA won Worst Promotion.

It also came close to winning worst weekly show.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
This is a few weeks late but did anyone listen to Goldberg on Jr's podcast? I downloaded it a little while back but just got around to it. Did he really compare playing football to being in a war? :psyduck:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

mariooncrack posted:

This is a few weeks late but did anyone listen to Goldberg on Jr's podcast? I downloaded it a little while back but just got around to it. Did he really compare playing football to being in a war? :psyduck:

I guess you've never been on a football team then

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The most telling part of that Styles interview is when he said TNA needed to stand out from WWE and if that meant taking chair shots to the head he was up for it. I feel bad for the guy. He gave that company 12 years of his life and they treated him like rear end for most of it. He's on top of the #2 promotion in the world right now, though, so silver linings and all that

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

oatgan posted:

The most telling part of that Styles interview is when he said TNA needed to stand out from WWE and if that meant taking chair shots to the head he was up for it.

Yeah, that made me cringe a bit, it seemed to give Jericho pause as well

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
IT was when Bruce Pritchard was in charge, then he slowly got ousted and it got worse and worse right?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

AJ burying TNA is great.

Them talking about Hogan makes me wish for a weekly Hogan podcast where he just overshadows his guests and spins history every week and ends up talking how he destroyed his back slamming the 700 pound Giant to close out every podcast.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LordPants posted:

IT was when Bruce Pritchard was in charge, then he slowly got ousted and it got worse and worse right?

Wasn't Pritchard ousted for being a dumbass who kept forgetting that contracts were expiring?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

oldpainless posted:

Them talking about Hogan makes me wish for a weekly Hogan podcast where he just overshadows his guests and spins history every week and ends up talking how he destroyed his back slamming the 700 pound Giant to close out every podcast.

Actually now that you mention it, I'm shocked Hogan doesn't have his own podcast. His deal with WWE probably prevents it.

Can't wait for it to eventually happen though. Hogan's bullshit is endlessly entertaining to me

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Actually now that you mention it, I'm shocked Hogan doesn't have his own podcast. His deal with WWE probably prevents it.

Can't wait for it to eventually happen though. Hogan's bullshit is endlessly entertaining to me

I think his handlers know that Hogan talking for an hour or two per week would be bad for his image.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Wasn't Pritchard ousted for being a dumbass who kept forgetting that contracts were expiring?

Yes, I think in Paul Orndorff's interview with Jim Cornette he talks about Bruce Pritchard being around the best in the wrestling business and in creative during the peak of the wrestling boom with the ear and ability to learn from the best and all he gets out of it is the reputation of being a stool pigeon for Vince.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also that Lance show from a few days ago was great. I knew Rock had his own personal writers but I didn't realize he got Patterson to road agent all his matches.

Patterson was one of the best.

Also, apparently Johnny Ace was good because of his experiences in AJPW.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sportsgenius86 posted:

Near as I could tell following the company at the time, he was good at running the creative end of things (or at least better than Bischoff and Russo), but absolute poo poo at the business end of things.

Bischoff was off TNA that whole summer working on other projects, and when he returned, Aces and 8s was his baby.

We all know what happened to the company after that.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I loved Austin's Vader interview. The story of the CWA being workception was my favorite. Same with AJ relentlessly burying TNA creative on Jericho's podcast.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm actually happy B&V are done with TNA for a month. I'd rather have them talk about whatever's on the network.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

His Daveness pulled no punches on TNA either, it was kinda glorious.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

LordPants posted:

Also that Lance show from a few days ago was great. I knew Rock had his own personal writers but I didn't realize he got Patterson to road agent all his matches.

Makes total sense, when you think about it. That way you have one guy who knows all the finishes you've done recently, so you don't end up re-using stuff or contradicting things.

Granted, all the agents should be up-to-date on what the booking of the top star is, but still.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
There's a new Attitude Era Podcast up. Royal Rumble 2000. It's basically a huge mark-out session about how goddamn good the PPV is. Good listen. I'm starting to prefer it over OSW Review at this point, even without the crisp video editing. Though both are great.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

IIRC, Dave said it was because WWE's various shows split the vote.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

WOL today had a caller comparing wwe pushes to him "having a female once i made plans with, but they kept falling through." Hence he liked tna more. GOOD STUFF.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Vince Russo's on MLW this week if you want to listen to him put himself over for an hour while Konnan smokes weed.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think the only mlw shows that I can stand as of late have been the Jim Cornette shows.

I don't care for Alex greenfield or ed Ferrara and after listening to konnan talk about getting high has gotten old.

Boom.

I can't remember the last time I heard court talk about being mentored by Gary hart or the Samoans so there's that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cornette sickens me. I'm done with his podcast after the last one I listened to had what seemed like a 20+ minute screed against anyone that would consider having children. Yeah I know we're supposed to be accommodating to low-functioning autistics and all, but I don't have to subscribe to their podcasts (unless they're Marc Maron).

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm fine with whatever leads to him not procreating.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

life sucks I don't know why you would want to subject a loved one to the climate apocalypse that will wipe out society

Anyway Jenny Slate says she wants John Cena to gently caress her into a fine paste on today's Comedy Bang Bang

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like she could use an Attitude Adjustment.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LordPants posted:

Sounds like she could use an Attitude Adjustment.

That'd put her flat on her back for John's Five Knuckle Shuffle!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bryan going over everything he doesn't watch would be revelatory for anyone else. He just thought "Hey Dave can do it!"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Anybody know what's going on with Craig? I know he lost his job or whatever but is there something other than that?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Desumaytah posted:

There's a new Attitude Era Podcast up. Royal Rumble 2000. It's basically a huge mark-out session about how goddamn good the PPV is. Good listen. I'm starting to prefer it over OSW Review at this point, even without the crisp video editing. Though both are great.

I liked their review of the HHH-Cactus Jack street fight and it says a lot that it was so good that they missed the barbed wire bat being changed out for a gimmicked version

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The strip club review segment on the last B&V is kind of amazing.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Question for podcasts: Where would Ziggler's career be if he did a year of independent shows instead of returning to developmental in 2007?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Desumaytah posted:

This episode is worth it if only for the idea that Bob Backlund is Lemongrab.

"EEEEEEEEEEHHHHH THIS MATCH IS UNACCETABLE. 100 YEARS CHICKEN WIIIIIINGS"

• Locked thread