Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

kingcobweb posted:

For anyone who cares about conspiracies in cube, I wrote about how incredibly powerful they are.

quote:

As long as you have one card of that power level, you should absolutely take Backup Plan: you have twice as good a chance of having that Ring or Lotus in your opening hand. (Actually, slightly more than that: as your deck gets smaller, you are more and more likely to draw it.)

Your math here is wrong. Yes, if you don't see your Lotus in the first hand, it's more likely to be in the second hand given that information than it initially was to be in the first hand... but that's counterbalanced by the fact that if you do see your Lotus in the first hand, it definitely isn't going to be in your second hand. The probability that your Lotus is one of cards 1-7 in your deck is equal to the probability that it's one of cards 8-14. Assuming that you always choose the hand containing Lotus, the probability of having Lotus in your opening hand is exactly doubled. (Since realistically you might not always choose the Lotus hand, the probability that Lotus starts the game in your hand is slightly less than doubled.)

Otherwise I agree though, the thing that makes Conspiracy work is that the junk commons make it difficult to get enough good cards to put in your deck, so choosing between a good card and a Conspiracy is a real decision. In a cube where you'll be able to get enough good cards anyhow, they're bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Otherwise I agree though, the thing that makes Conspiracy work is that the junk commons make it difficult to get enough good cards to put in your deck, so choosing between a good card and a Conspiracy is a real decision. In a cube where you'll be able to get enough good cards anyhow, they're bonkers.

So not the MTGO Cube, then. :v:

Backup Plan is indeed insane. It would still be insane if it read "you may take one free mulligan before going down to 6", which would approximate to "at the beginning of the game, draw a card" in a significant number of games, for zero mana or spell slot investment.

When you not only get the free mulligan, but the chance to see both hands of seven before throwing one away, AND a guarantee that the second hand won't have any repeated nonland cards from the first (so you don't just get a lovely copy of the first), you'll basically never mulligan to 6, and sometimes you'll even get to increase the card quality of what would have been your 7-card keep.

The stronger Conspiracy cards are so drat strong and non-committal that I'd almost consider not including them in the normal draft - e.g. you have to acquire them in a different way if you want them, either in an auction or by skipping a pick to take one.

Also, just thinking of Double Stroke or Iterative Analysis with Snapcaster Mage/Eternal Witness/Regrowth/etc... oof. Although, the clear Double Stroke name in any deck that has it is Cruel Ultimatum.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Lord Of Texas posted:

Also, just thinking of Double Stroke or Iterative Analysis with Snapcaster Mage/Eternal Witness/Regrowth/etc... oof. Although, the clear Double Stroke name in any deck that has it is Cruel Ultimatum.

That's just a win more. Something like Double Stroke Hymn to Tourach is way spicier.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Vomax posted:

That's just a win more. Something like Double Stroke Hymn to Tourach is way spicier.

Double Stroke + Plea for Power was pretty awesome.

"...So guys, do I get to draw 6 cards, take two extra turns or take an extra turn and draw 3 cards?"

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Vomax posted:

Yes, that is true, if you are on a bus that will explode if you don't win a Cube 8-man.

Otherwise, what would you rather do - win, or win more?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Is it strange to anybody else that the conspiracies are banned in vintage and legacy, rather than simply being not legal to begin with? Like, you can't play silver-bordered cards, planes, schemes, tokens or vanguards. Those things aren't on the ban list. Why should these cards? Actually, looking Vintage deck construction rules:

quote:

Vintage decks may consist of cards from all Magic card sets, any edition of the core set, and all special sets, supplements, and promotional printings released by Wizards of the Coast.

Cards from expansions and special sets (like From the Vault, Magic: The Gathering—Commander , Duel Decks, Conspiracy, etc) are legal in the Vintage format on the date of release of the expansion or special set.

All promotional cards are legal in the Vintage format on the date of the release of the promotional card.

Seems to me that this lets you play un-set cards and christmas cards. There doesn't appear to be any particular rule against silver bordered cards.

Also, Conspiracy vintage is a fun format and should be played.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

I want to see Conspiracy Legacy, with as many copies of Double Stroke naming High Tide as possible. :getin:
Mostly because I love High Tide, but it still seems very strong.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Conspiracy Legacy, sure. Whatever floats your boat. Make a deck. Let's do that.

So I guess the idea is that you can have 4x of each conspiracy, but they don't count against your decklist. There's probably a more restrictive version of that that isn't completely insane, though. But, the being completely insane is what makes it great.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Dr. Stab posted:

Is it strange to anybody else that the conspiracies are banned in vintage and legacy, rather than simply being not legal to begin with? Like, you can't play silver-bordered cards, planes, schemes, tokens or vanguards. Those things aren't on the ban list. Why should these cards? Actually, looking Vintage deck construction rules:

Seems to me that this lets you play un-set cards and christmas cards. There doesn't appear to be any particular rule against silver bordered cards.

MTR 3.3 defines authorized cards as black- or white-bordered, among other criteria.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dr. Stab posted:

Conspiracy Legacy, sure. Whatever floats your boat. Make a deck. Let's do that.

So I guess the idea is that you can have 4x of each conspiracy, but they don't count against your decklist. There's probably a more restrictive version of that that isn't completely insane, though. But, the being completely insane is what makes it great.

Swamp, Mox Jet, Hymn To Tourach copied 3x. Go.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Dr. Stab posted:

Conspiracies meet all the conditions of authorized cards:
  • They are genuine and published by Wizards of the Coast.
  • They have standard Magic backs or are double-faced cards.
  • They have black or white borders.
  • They are not token cards.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

Swamp, Mox Jet, Hymn To Tourach copied 3x. Go.

Respond with Elvish Spirit Guide, Flames of the Blood Hand x5.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Respond with Elvish Spirit Guide, Flames of the Blood Hand x5.

I prefer to use Simian Spirit x3 myself.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ramos posted:

I prefer to use Simian Spirit x3 myself.

I assume you have 2x of the -1 cost Conspiracy naming FOTBH.

Basically every deck would be running 4x of each conspiracy, the only variety would be in what they name.

And everyone would have to run the "you go first" Conspiracy to make sure the die roll actually happens.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Playing gemstone caverns means you might not want that one.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

I assume you have 2x of the -1 cost Conspiracy naming FOTBH.

Basically every deck would be running 4x of each conspiracy, the only variety would be in what they name.

And everyone would have to run the "you go first" Conspiracy to make sure the die roll actually happens.

Right. We're either getting close to or past Yugioh levels of combo dumbness.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Legacy Affinity with 4x Secret Summoning :getin:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Ramos posted:

That's why they're Constructed banned.

Though Casual play might just get stupid/silly for some playgroups. :getin: Hopefully that will include the one I end up with at my new place in 2 weeks. :v:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ramos posted:

This is way, way past yugioh, even at its most broken. In this format, slow decks are ones that last past the first upkeep.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

LordSaturn posted:

Legacy Affinity with 4x Secret Summoning :getin:

And 4x Backup Plan :shepface:

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Cactrot posted:

Double Stroke + Plea for Power was pretty awesome.

"...So guys, do I get to draw 6 cards, take two extra turns or take an extra turn and draw 3 cards?"

I had these cards in my deck and it actually happened. I managed to get 2 extra turns and subsequently win the game after being nearly dead on board. Just had to convince the guy next to me to go with my vote. Not too hard considering we were both dead to the 3rd guy who was way ahead. Can't wait to draft Conspiracy again!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Death Bot posted:

And 4x Backup Plan :shepface:

You see 5 seven card hands in a 40 card deck. So you get that 1 card win con basically every single game.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I just realized keyword "Conspire" isn't in Conspiracy.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

jscolon2.0 posted:

I just realized keyword "Conspire" isn't in Conspiracy.

Neither is the card "Conspiracy"

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Daydo Fackman was in it though

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Daydo Fackman was in it though

Duck Faygo

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

AgentSythe posted:

Duck Faygo

Dirk Fandango

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Dirk Fandango

Dank Flamingo

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
I want to make sure I'm thinking about these conspiracies the right way.

Say I have Double Stroke and Iterative Analysis naming Lightning Bolt. Do I essentially hit something for 6 damage and draw two cards?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm about to do a conspiracy draft, is there anything I should try to grab? we don't keep the cards so not moneywise. Just cards solid to draft

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

RC Cola posted:

I'm about to do a conspiracy draft, is there anything I should try to grab? we don't keep the cards so not moneywise. Just cards solid to draft

Conspiracies are quite good, don't make the mistake of underestimating them.

BXCX posted:

Dank Flamingo

Dork Flooding.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

RC Cola posted:

If you get a pack 1 pick 1 worldknit and don't insta draft it you're basically worse than Hitler

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kraus posted:

I want to make sure I'm thinking about these conspiracies the right way.

Say I have Double Stroke and Iterative Analysis naming Lightning Bolt. Do I essentially hit something for 6 damage and draw two cards?

706.9. To copy a spell or activated ability means to put a copy of it onto the stack; a copy of a spell isnt cast and a copy of an activated ability isnt activated.

So, the copy is not "cast", and it won't draw you the second card.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Devor posted:

706.9. To copy a spell or activated ability means to put a copy of it onto the stack; a copy of a spell isnt cast and a copy of an activated ability isnt activated.

So, the copy is not "cast", and it won't draw you the second card.

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well. I play Burn in Legacy, and just for fun I made a version of Burn with conspiracies. Goldfishing still has it killing turn one most of the time, even only drawing one off the Iterative Analysis named spells.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The most broken conspiracy interaction is doubling Manamorphose.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

vOv posted:

If you get a pack 1 pick 1 worldknit and don't insta draft it you're basically worse than Hitler

I still stand by taking Stifle over it when I had the choice. :colbert:

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

BXCX posted:

Dank Flamingo

Donald Faison.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Kraus posted:

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well. I play Burn in Legacy, and just for fun I made a version of Burn with conspiracies. Goldfishing still has it killing turn one most of the time, even only drawing one off the Iterative Analysis named spells.

My conspiracy burn deck revolves around resolving one of 4 shrapnel blasts. Basically 100% turn zero kills with half the cards in the deck being counterspells. I guess it's more of a control deck, then.

kingcobweb posted:

The most broken conspiracy interaction is doubling Manamorphose.

A fully tricked out manamorphose costs {1} and gives you 9 cards and 10 mana. Not that I'm doing that, but it sounds cool.

Trying this list now.

4 Shrapnel Blast

4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Manamorphose
4 Summoner's Pact

4 Pact of Negation
4 Delay
4 Swan Song
4 Force of Will
4 Spellstutter Sprite

Not sure on the mana/spell balance (probably need more spells, but going beyond 4 spells needing colors is hard), but I haven't had a hand yet that didn't have Shrapnel blast and at least triple protection.
Manamorphose gets doubled, shrapnel blast gets quadrupled. Not sure what needs to cantrip (probably all of those on Shrapnel Blast). Spellstutter fetches more and also has haste and taps for mana, so in the end you spend zero on it.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Sarcastro posted:

Donald Faison.

Dark Fatty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Dr. Stab posted:

My conspiracy burn deck revolves around resolving one of 4 shrapnel blasts. Basically 100% turn zero kills with half the cards in the deck being counterspells. I guess it's more of a control deck, then.

A fully tricked out manamorphose costs {1} and gives you 9 cards and 10 mana. Not that I'm doing that, but it sounds cool.

Trying this list now.

4 Shrapnel Blast

4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Manamorphose
4 Summoner's Pact

4 Pact of Negation
4 Delay
4 Swan Song
4 Force of Will
4 Spellstutter Sprite

Not sure on the mana/spell balance (probably need more spells, but going beyond 4 spells needing colors is hard), but I haven't had a hand yet that didn't have Shrapnel blast and at least triple protection.
Manamorphose gets doubled, shrapnel blast gets quadrupled. Not sure what needs to cantrip (probably all of those on Shrapnel Blast). Spellstutter fetches more and also has haste and taps for mana, so in the end you spend zero on it.

What artifact are you sacrificing to Shrapnel Blast?

• Locked thread