Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Gruknor posted:

Go to bgwiki and type abyssea guide in the search bar. I would link it, but it is important that you learn how to use these sites. They will be how you get most of your info about ffxi.

Been using it for the Rank Missions which has been a huge help just for the maps of the lesser areas alone.

Edit: BGwiki blows FFXIcyclopedia out of the water. Thanks for the mention!

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I don't suggest BST as your first job as strongly as I did before ilvl gear. DNC is a strong soloer for older content with stat barf on ilvl gear, a much more efficient farmer in dynamis and you don't need to sink a lot of gil into pet food and biscuits to play DNC.

Fishbotting hakuryu is how a lot of people make gil these days, but you will run the risk of getting banned. If you don't want to go that route, I'd say level cooking. It's cheap to hit high level with and judging by the major lack of BST stuff when I scan the AH, there's a lack of people that actively use the craft on Quetz.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Dnc is also good for solo farming sparks. I've been spamming the "do 500 dmg" quest in abyssea for sparks, merits, cruor and Gil.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

As for making gil till you can farm dyna or salvage, I'd suggest questing expensive scroll quests and selling them over cashing in sparks for money. You can always re-buy scrolls as you need them once you get into farming dyna and salvage.

You should be dumping all your sparks into starter ilvl gear and chapters from the new battlefields (Rem tales chapters 6-10) to 119 artifact/relic armor. It'll be hard to get invites into newer battlefields until you have not awful gear.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
10 years later and they finally add the ability to see your party members combat resources without having to use TParty, and gathering nodes have a graphic so you don't have to break your tab button. Truly they are making great strides in the quality of life department.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Been using it for the Rank Missions which has been a huge help just for the maps of the lesser areas alone.

Edit: BGwiki blows FFXIcyclopedia out of the water. Thanks for the mention!

Unfortunately you need to use a few sites to get all your information. Ffxiah, bg-wiki, ffxiah forums and the AH shouts, ffxiclopedia, ffxidb(great site that shows what mobs drop an item and its rarity), windower forums, and maybe the bg forums. Get cupper from http://www.ffevo.net/files/file/223-cupper/, it is an illegal speed increase and go through walls thing. It is super helpful, just never talk about it in ffxi chat and do not use it in populated areas or in groups of people you do not know. SE do use chat as proof to ban characters.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

LiquidFriend posted:

I don't suggest BST as your first job as strongly as I did before ilvl gear. DNC is a strong soloer for older content with stat barf on ilvl gear, a much more efficient farmer in dynamis and you don't need to sink a lot of gil into pet food and biscuits to play DNC.

Fishbotting hakuryu is how a lot of people make gil these days, but you will run the risk of getting banned. If you don't want to go that route, I'd say level cooking. It's cheap to hit high level with and judging by the major lack of BST stuff when I scan the AH, there's a lack of people that actively use the craft on Quetz.

To be honest, I don't understand why anyone would want to level anything but THF as their first job. It can wear Espial gear which can be shared with many other jobs, it's the most efficient Dynamis farmer, and can solo the vast majority of content in the game. Yeah, there are better soloing classes, but in comparison to all the content available to a new player, the amount THF can't solo seems pretty limited. Besides, you'll need THF's income to properly gear any class you want to use to solo, anyway.

Obviously, you'll still need DNC as a sub, but I never bother switching to DNC main myself. My THF is good enough for basically anything I need to solo, it's rarely worth the advantage DNC gives.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I thought that dnc was the more efficient dynamis farmer due to being able to lock sub for white procs and still have access to self heals and snk/invis. Maybe that's changed though, it's been a long time since I last farmed there.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
Back a while ago it was up in the air whether it was better to do DNC/no sub for white procs, or THF/DNC for treasure hunter and to just mow through mobs faster.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

I thought that dnc was the more efficient dynamis farmer due to being able to lock sub for white procs and still have access to self heals and snk/invis. Maybe that's changed though, it's been a long time since I last farmed there.

Magic is a lot harder to proc than WS. WS is harder to proc than JA. I use THF, so I can't say if DNC or THF is better. BST is also really good at dynamis. I am told BLU and PUP are two other great jobs to take to farm dynamis. I recommend THF or DNC. Farming dynamis for currency and relic armor, is a good idea. THF and DNC can also farm Salvage 2 for alexandrite and plans.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Thanks for all the advice/help guys!

Went and ran through the Past to unlock DNC which combined with Trust NPCs has made killing poo poo a breeze. MNK/DNC so far has resulted in zero downtime between mob groups. :getin:

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Maybe a more thoroughly skilled DNC than me gets off more procs on DNC main than I can, but I simply don't proc enough mobs for the 1/100 chance of a white proc to catch up with the sheer amount of extra currency I get from high levels of TH. That said, can DNC get a level of TH somehow? That would make a huge difference.

I have a theory that BLU could be a great Dynamis farmer. You'd be able to JA, MA, and WS proc, and you could bring TH2, which is most of the benefit TH will give you. My BLU isn't good enough for me to try it out though, and I don't have Tarutaru Sash. You'd still have to /DNC. I'd like to see how well it worked, though.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Zero The Hero posted:

Maybe a more thoroughly skilled DNC than me gets off more procs on DNC main than I can, but I simply don't proc enough mobs for the 1/100 chance of a white proc to catch up with the sheer amount of extra currency I get from high levels of TH. That said, can DNC get a level of TH somehow? That would make a huge difference.

I have a theory that BLU could be a great Dynamis farmer. You'd be able to JA, MA, and WS proc, and you could bring TH2, which is most of the benefit TH will give you. My BLU isn't good enough for me to try it out though, and I don't have Tarutaru Sash. You'd still have to /DNC. I'd like to see how well it worked, though.

Blu/dnc can easily farm dynamis currency. Procs have more to do with the amount of currency dropping than TH. Proc the mob and kill it asap, that will help you get more currency than if you had full +TH gear.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
2 thieves and a white mage (triple boxed, so individually would be even faster) can get close to 1,000 ancient currency per visit if you're good about knowing what mobs are good to proc during what times. Valkurm is particularly easy to run a tight circut with mobs that are all easy to link up into large groups and mow down quickly.

Dancer can wear the tarutaru sash with TH+ on it that you can get from gold boxes in abys-latheine but that's it as far as I know. With THF you don't even have to sacrifice weapon damage for a thief's knife anymore because of the new dagger!

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
There was a TH belt in the dats last patch or something? Haven't really played since about the time that patch came out though so...don't know if it's actually available and from what.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Valle posted:

There was a TH belt in the dats last patch or something? Haven't really played since about the time that patch came out though so...don't know if it's actually available and from what.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/28450/chaac-belt

Don't expect to waltz in and get this as a newbie. It's a drop from one of the newer delve megabosses.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Unless you plan on buying a burner account (or 3-4) to fish on, don't fishbot. Getting Ebisu and the fishing skill/guild points needed to use it will probably take months, and even if you fish to fatigue on Haks every day you're going to take in just over 2 million gil NPCing them (and even 24/7 fishbots have issues getting to 200 Haks/day due to terrible bite rate and line snaps.) Once you have a spark/bayld Item Level 117-geared THF or DNC you can easily pull in 4-5 million gil over the course of 3 hours just doing a Dynamis and a Salvage solo.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

Unless you plan on buying a burner account (or 3-4) to fish on, don't fishbot. Getting Ebisu and the fishing skill/guild points needed to use it will probably take months, and even if you fish to fatigue on Haks every day you're going to take in just over 2 million gil NPCing them (and even 24/7 fishbots have issues getting to 200 Haks/day due to terrible bite rate and line snaps.) Once you have a spark/bayld Item Level 117-geared THF or DNC you can easily pull in 4-5 million gil over the course of 3 hours just doing a Dynamis and a Salvage solo.

Are you saying you're likely to get banned from fish botting? I just got my Ebisu, and so far no one's taken even the least bit of notice in me. There are some others who afk fished in Nashmau at the same time I did, but I haven't seen anyone get banned. I didn't think SE was still paying attention to fish botters.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Zero The Hero posted:

Are you saying you're likely to get banned from fish botting? I just got my Ebisu, and so far no one's taken even the least bit of notice in me. There are some others who afk fished in Nashmau at the same time I did, but I haven't seen anyone get banned. I didn't think SE was still paying attention to fish botters.

I wouldn't say likely, but when they decide to do sweeps they get a ton all at once, especially along the glacier coasts. I just think that Hak fishing is a terribly inefficient way of getting gil when doing Dyna and Salvage are much faster and more profitable and don't carry a non-zero risk of getting banned.

If you do bot I wouldn't do it AFK. Just leave it on while you're doing other stuff at the computer for the off chance that you get caught in a GM sweep and can respond to a tell.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Zero The Hero posted:

To be honest, I don't understand why anyone would want to level anything but THF as their first job. It can wear Espial gear which can be shared with many other jobs, it's the most efficient Dynamis farmer, and can solo the vast majority of content in the game. Yeah, there are better soloing classes, but in comparison to all the content available to a new player, the amount THF can't solo seems pretty limited. Besides, you'll need THF's income to properly gear any class you want to use to solo, anyway.

Obviously, you'll still need DNC as a sub, but I never bother switching to DNC main myself. My THF is good enough for basically anything I need to solo, it's rarely worth the advantage DNC gives.
I think you're overestimating how much of an impact a higher level of TH actually brings for a lot of stuff. :shobon:

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

Skirm updates incoming :toot:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/42528

Between this and the new WKR weapon augments I might actually be able to pull together some half decent gear.

I wish they'd increase the drop rates on statue parts in general though. I never get poo poo from the rieves. I'm going to try mining in raznar to see if that's any more productive.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Skirm updates incoming :toot:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/42528

Between this and the new WKR weapon augments I might actually be able to pull together some half decent gear.

I wish they'd increase the drop rates on statue parts in general though. I never get poo poo from the rieves. I'm going to try mining in raznar to see if that's any more productive.

Holy hot hell! Yggzi beads will ALWAYS drop from outside nms. This makes getting clears for scrubs like jamie so much easier.

Seraphicallers and divinators for everyone! Further reduction in bcnm merit costs (along with the increase in merits held) right after I just spent an evening and farmed 2 mil exp to cover all key items.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

LiquidFriend posted:

I think you're overestimating how much of an impact a higher level of TH actually brings for a lot of stuff. :shobon:

TH has no affect on dynamis currency or alexandrite droprates. Those are two easy to farm stuff. TH does affect relic/relic-1 armor droprates. I am not sure if TH does anything to plans, but I noticed a difference in the amount of plans I got per run if I had my TH hands and feet on.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Gruknor posted:

TH has no affect on dynamis currency

This is provably wrong.
http://ffxidb.com/zones/40/nightmare-mandragora

TH1 and 2 make the biggest impact, because they increase the total amount of currency able to drop. It's been too long since I ran Dynamis without TH, but iirc you can't even get more than 3 per mob without TH.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Zero The Hero posted:

This is provably wrong.
http://ffxidb.com/zones/40/nightmare-mandragora

TH1 and 2 make the biggest impact, because they increase the total amount of currency able to drop. It's been too long since I ran Dynamis without TH, but iirc you can't even get more than 3 per mob without TH.

no proc, no drop

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Gruknor posted:

no proc, no drop

Procs are not required for currency drops. They just guarantee drops.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Gruknor posted:

no proc, no drop

Absolutely untrue. When Silver and I do Dyna we're on THF/DNC and DNC/Lockout and with TH8+ on the level ~97 mobs you get 1 currency from mobs you don't proc at least half the time. Red proc just guarantees 1 currency and unlocks the possibility of currency drop slots 2-4 (and those slots are influenced by TH.)

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

Procs are not required for currency drops. They just guarantee drops.

I believe they, like TH, also increase the number of drops possible. Not sure about that one.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

You're all kind of right.

The proc you land is based on the number of time extensions. If you have all 5 TE's, you will always proc red. This means there is 1 100% drop slot and 2 treasure pool slots in addition to the one that's already on the monster. These procs can be either gear or currency (though currency has a much higher drop percent.) This means with a red proc it's entirely possible to get 4 pieces of relic gear (though that would be exceedingly rare).

TH affects the 3 total treasure pool drop slots, but does not affect the 100% as that's already guaranteed and it is governed outside of the standard TH mechanic.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

That's one thing I love/hate about this game. Even after a decade, many of the mechanics are still being debated. Have the devs ever confirmed whether direction even has any effect on crafting?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

That's one thing I love/hate about this game. Even after a decade, many of the mechanics are still being debated. Have the devs ever confirmed whether direction even has any effect on crafting?

I'm pretty sure this question was asked at one of the Vanafests, and the devs literally laughed and said "face whichever way your heart tells you"

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Basically directional crafting, element day, moon phase, etc. theory crafting was just ridiculous. But hey, feel free to turn your computer desk SouthEast for HQ. :)

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

These procs can be either gear or currency (though currency has a much higher drop percent.) This means with a red proc it's entirely possible to get 4 pieces of relic gear (though that would be exceedingly rare).

You sure about that? I could swear the gear and currency drop slots are separate.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Valle posted:

You sure about that? I could swear the gear and currency drop slots are separate.

They are the same. I have procced and gotten 1x gear no currency before.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Not unless that was a proc without all time extenders.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

The misinformation going on in this thread is wild.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

Red mage is the most useful job in the game

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

For the most part, the mechanics are already figured out. Things like ffxidb and other stat trackers have removed a lot of the mystery. The fact that they're still debated is more of a reflection on FFXI players refusing to read the wiki.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

BUGS OF SPRING posted:

The misinformation going on in this thread is wild.

To be fair, none of the information has ever been confirmed by SE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
Dynamis is very simple, you just follow some easy steps based on the very fundamental rule of whether or not you can get TH and/or red procs.

1: Without at least 1 of those it will be a complete waste of time.

2: If you can only get one of those it will be tedious and a long grind with very little reward. 100% red procs will alone, in the long run, give you more currency than 100% TH alone, and the opposite is true for AF. Only do this if you're farming for a particular AF item or have an abundance of time and literally no concept of self worth.

3: If you can get both and can kill fairly quickly then you can actually use Dynamis as a source of revenue or to create a relic in a couple months, depending on how lucky you are with ~4 currency drops and 100 pieces and if you've been going at it every day.

If you're shooting for a relic, it's best to farm dreamland areas until you are on the last stage so you can continue to build up your currency during the hourly cycle even after the amount you need, so you can sell the surplus and buy more of whatever you're lacking. It's always the most efficient to run a circuit of mobs that will proc to job abilities than it is to cherry-pick a particular method, so you will wind up with lots of all 3 types of currencies.

BONUS: If you can dualbox (or more!?) you will become an internet billionaire.

I have done a lot of dynamis and I'm sure anybody else who's put together a relic in the last few years will tell you the exact same thing.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 12, 2014