Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zedd posted:

Sure, what you thinking off?

I've got a new cestus dude in NG and a guy who's just in NG+, you tell me. I'm heading to the gym now though brb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
So are the Santier's Spear and Flame Weapon both just useless now? Has my Darth Maul cosplay become useless just as it was finished??

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Annath posted:

Thanks! Added you on steam. Let me know when you have a free minute!

e: Oh loving christ some rear end in a top hat named "turtlesales" is getting his kicks summoning me at the first Iron Keep bonfire then immediately black crystalling me out. For fucks sake dude.

Jolly coop successfully done! :3:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

HellCopter posted:

So are the Santier's Spear and Flame Weapon both just useless now? Has my Darth Maul cosplay become useless just as it was finished??

Syan's Halberd or the twinblade, dude.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Why would you use anything but one of the twinblades when trying to be Darth Maul in the first place?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So seriously, that Bellfreed video. What armor and pants is he using?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Fuzz posted:

So seriously, that Bellfreed video. What armor and pants is he using?

I'm pretty sure the armor is the Manikin Top -- no idea about the pants though.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 9, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

VisAbsoluta posted:

I'm pretty sure the armor is the Manikin Top -- no idea about the pants though.

Yeah, I think you may be right, but those pants! :allears:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Okay, just found out, the pants are the Black Leather boots. :)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

VisAbsoluta posted:

Okay, just found out, the pants are the Black Leather boots. :)

Are they? drat, they look so much worse on females. :smith:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Yep:

Also, talking about this kinda made me miss the armors that were exclusive for one gender or another in Demon's Souls. Gave you more incentive to play with one or the other. I miss Miralda's Set, drat!

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 9, 2014

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
So what's the best way to practice PvP? I absolutely get wrecked by invading phantoms from lack of experience against players. Also, I hate the metagame. Everything is lightning <long reach sword> and GMB.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tasoth posted:

So what's the best way to practice PvP? I absolutely get wrecked by invading phantoms from lack of experience against players. Also, I hate the metagame. Everything is lightning <long reach sword> and GMB.
Bellbro. You get a steady stream of matches and people aren't leveled/kitted enough to twink out yet.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Tasoth posted:

Low level bell invasions. You're constantly getting summoned and most of the time the host has no idea what you are or he is doing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bellbro is terrible at learning PVP since everyone there is really bad. Duels on Iron Keep are the best; the people there aren't that good but they usually know what they're doing, and unlike the arenas there are not a ton of really high leveled guys.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Anyone around 1m SM on NG have a channeler's trident they want to get rid of? After acquiring one of my hexer, I need one on my pvp gimmick guy desperately.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Anyone around 1m SM on NG have a channeler's trident they want to get rid of? After acquiring one of my hexer, I need one on my pvp gimmick guy desperately.

I've got 3, I can hook you up when I get home from work.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Tarezax posted:

I've got 3, I can hook you up when I get home from work.

You're awesome. http://steamcommunity.com/id/westhamsandwich/

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm downloading this right now from Steam. I was going to wait until the summer sale, but I figured that if there's a developer that deserves full price, it's FROM. I guess this will partially make up for getting DS1 for 5 dollars during a sale.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So what would be a good FTH setup that doesn't use Lightning Spears? I kinda wanna do a holy crusader dude but I've used L. Spears on like 3 different dudes.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Flytrap posted:

So what would be a good FTH setup that doesn't use Lightning Spears? I kinda wanna do a holy crusader dude but I've used L. Spears on like 3 different dudes.

Resplendent Life actually provides huge recovery; you could make a regen-based character with massive HP and never die :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sunlight Blade, Sacred Oath, healing spells. Defender's Greatsword could eventually replace Sunlight Blade if you prefer. Homeward is also always useful and why I've always invested a little into faith in all Souls games. Unveil is nice to counter Chameleon, too.

edit: oh yeah and Magic Barrier/Great Magic Barrier.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Don't see the point of Homeward when the game throws Homeward Bones at you (you can get eight just in Majula).

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Those are good ideas. I'd kinda gotten used to FTH being the ls stat that I forgot all of its other potential.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can run out of those and you don't need to buy more uses of the miracle. It's a straight upgrade until you get the feather late game. Homeward isn't as useful in DkS2 on the basis of the bonfires being closer together but it's still good to have.

Oh yeah, there's also Emit Force and Wrath of God if you're just tired of actual lightning.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Emit Force also has a much wider hitbox than Lightning Spear, so it's harder for a player to dodge.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Genocyber posted:

Don't see the point of Homeward when the game throws Homeward Bones at you (you can get eight just in Majula).

This isn't so much why Homeward is useless, it's more the level design. In DaS it was easily possible to get to places in the map where it was just a pain in the rear end to walk back from. Great Hollow or early Catacombs are probably the most dramatic examples, but in general if you were not playing optimally it was totally possible and not really difficult to get yourself into a place you wouldn't want to go back through on foot - not that it was impossible, it was just nice to have the option not to do it. In DaS2 I can't think of a single such place where the best solution isn't just to keep progressing, because in almost every area in the game there's going to be a bonfire pretty soon. I used like two Homeward Bones in the whole game, it's simply not necessary in the vast majority of situations. I wish the Aged Feather let you level yourself up instead of being an infinite boner, it's kind of a poo poo reward considering how late you get it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tasoth posted:

Go to the arena. You'll get a good idea of what the metagame is and die to over and over again before figuring out something you can do about it. Its not fun at all but its probably to best way to learn how to fight against the terminally uncreative invaders that plague this game.

Alternatively wait until numbness gets patched because that poo poo is so loving dumb and exhausting to play against.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want to do this first run mostly blind (I've avoided nearly all spoilers so far, somehow), but I'm slightly apprehensive on one thing... Is the stat system mostly the same compared to the first game? Or have there been changes where I could fall into a newb-trap?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Get adaptability to 20 or so unless you plan to have a lot of attunement. They determine your agility, which affects how good your dodge roll is. You want 100 agility or more, though you'll see diminishing returns past that. There's no resistance stat equivalent.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Wait, why the hell does Straid have an intelligence requirement? He won't sell me stuff, and the internet says I need 3 (what) intelligence and faith to purchase from him. He must have been intended as a sorcery trainer, what with him going "FEEBLE SORCERY SORCERY HANDLE MY SORCERY", and now this. It's weird as heck, and now I have to waste two soul vessels to buy my boss weapons. :sigh:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Jordbo posted:

Wait, why the hell does Straid have an intelligence requirement? He won't sell me stuff, and the internet says I need 3 (what) intelligence and faith to purchase from him. He must have been intended as a sorcery trainer, what with him going "FEEBLE SORCERY SORCERY HANDLE MY SORCERY", and now this. It's weird as heck, and now I have to waste two soul vessels to buy my boss weapons. :sigh:

The stat requirements to even chat with certain NPCs is such a stupid thing I wish From would stop it.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
I think From might have just forgotten that the bandit starts with 1 int. Straid has a faith requirement too, but you can't start with less so you never see it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jordbo posted:

He must have been intended as a sorcery trainer, what with him going "FEEBLE SORCERY SORCERY HANDLE MY SORCERY", and now this.

It's heavily implied Straid made most of the new spells and some pyromancies in the game before turning into a rock.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I see a lot of people bitching about soul memory. But isn't save backup the easiest way to legitimately get around it? You make a PVP character that you want, back up the save. Then pvp until you feel that your soul memory is too high, then just go back to the backup save. Same character, low soul memory.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

VisAbsoluta posted:

Also, talking about this kinda made me miss the armors that were exclusive for one gender or another in Demon's Souls. Gave you more incentive to play with one or the other. I miss Miralda's Set, drat!

Or for Demon's Souls they could have just not arbitrarily locked them to one sex, and use 2 different equippable sets for the male/female versions of the Dark Souls ones that arbitrarily change based on your sex, so everyone has maximum dark fantasy fashion & dressup options.

Flytrap posted:

It's not useful in as many places but Heavenly Thunder is pretty fitting. Targray's armor required!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hmmm, so it appears that the game isn't recognizing my lovely old Logitech controller (this one: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/288?osid=14&bit=64). I poked around a bit, and tried an application that a Reddit thread recommended (DS3) but it didn't recognize the controller either. The same thread also recommended disabling other human interaction devices in control panel, but that seems like a bad idea. Any ideas? This controller worked without a problem on DS1.

Edit, With a bit more searching, I found this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/23x5iz/pc_version_common_problems_and_fixes/ch1i363

Which works perfectly. For anyone else who's have the same problem.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 10, 2014

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Does the Sacred Chime Hammer make the same amazing bell sound that it does when Velstadt uses it?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Lost Sinner playthrough complete.

Now the part I hate. I meant to go to NG+ to get more active PvP/summons, and be properly kitted out to white soapstone at the Lost Sinner boss fight. But I love making new characters! I wish they would've stuck with just the SM system and not split the NG/NG+ player pools. I feel like NG+ is where it's at, but starting fresh is so good.

Think it's time to look up armor sets for Simon Belmont. Or do a dual mace build since I haven't used em much. Or..

Red Crown posted:

Does the Sacred Chime Hammer make the same amazing bell sound that it does when Velstadt uses it?

Someone in the thread said nah, bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

teh_Broseph posted:

Someone in the thread said nah, bummer.

From seriously what the gently caress :saddowns: