Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah, I'm just gonna wait to fool with it until I get a more capable cooler for sure. The Intel one doesn't inspire much confidence, although it's inaudible in pretty much any situation so that's nice :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Yeah, I'm just gonna wait to fool with it until I get a more capable cooler for sure. The Intel one doesn't inspire much confidence, although it's inaudible in pretty much any situation so that's nice :v:

"My new air-conditioning solution doesn't cool the house very well, but it's so quiet!" :downs:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KillHour posted:

"My new air-conditioning solution doesn't cool the house very well, but it's so quiet!" :downs:

Hey, I recognized that it's not very effective, get off my case :bahgawd:

Should I bother delidding for the Noctua or is that more of an XTREEEEEEEEEEEEM overclocking thing?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Hey, I recognized that it's not very effective, get off my case :bahgawd:

Should I bother delidding for the Noctua or is that more of an XTREEEEEEEEEEEEM overclocking thing?

Try it without delidding first. If you're happy with the performance/temps (I think you will be), then why bother?

Like I said, 3.8-4Ghz on stock voltage is very likely with a decent cooler.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KillHour posted:

Try it without delidding first. If you're happy with the performance/temps (I think you will be), then why bother?

Sounds like a solidly lazy approach to me :v: I just hate re-doing things if I don't have to.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Delidding should be mandatory for overclocking :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Delidding should be mandatory for overclocking :colbert:

Do you delid before or after you overclock the BSB?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I googled delidding looking for guides and whatnot and found a far, far braver man than I could ever hope to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwv_EsY07Wg

:ohdear:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

I googled delidding looking for guides and whatnot and found a far, far braver man than I could ever hope to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwv_EsY07Wg

:ohdear:

That's the safe way to do it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

KillHour posted:

Do you delid before or after you overclock the BSB?

Right after taking it out of the box. And always use your sharpest butter knife or pocket knife if you have one.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Devil's Canyon CPUs now support VT-d and TSX-NI, the new CPU features that were previously disabled on K-edition processors. This should debunk the idea that there were any reasons other than market segmentation that these features were previously disabled.

Intel ARK page for Core i7 4790K
Intel ARK page for Core i5 4690K

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
No link here, no sirree.

I'm almost tempted to delid a 4790K, strap on one of these

onto an ASUS Z97 motherboard (since CPU sockets are identical that die guard should be transferable between motherboards from different manufacturers) and bolt on a waterblock attached to a custom loop.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 9, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Here's a random question in regards to CPU lids: What material are they made from and is there a reason why they aren't made out of copper to transfer heat better?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Copper is very conductive and you could zap one of the resistors on the PCB I guess...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Combat Pretzel posted:

Here's a random question in regards to CPU lids: What material are they made from and is there a reason why they aren't made out of copper to transfer heat better?

Made of plated copper, not sure what the plating is.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh after all, so it's just coated.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That's a delidded 4770K the guy has for sale.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh after all, so it's just coated.

It's coated because there are oxidation issues with leaving it bare copper (shipping, storing, etc). Although aftermarket coolers seem to have no issue doing it but still.

It's one of the appeals of lapping, the copper underneath is better than the coating for heat transfer.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MisterAlex posted:

I'm sure all of you gurus are going to laugh at me, but is the 4790K a pointless purchase if I don't really plan to overclock it? Or would it still be a good chip to get for running stock?

You know what, I think the 4790K is great at stock. They've pulled out such large clock increases over the normal models, that if you can use the power, and don't care about overclocking, it's still giving you a huge boost compared to the closest locked CPU (4970). 400MHz on the base and boost.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Count me in. Is that thing out yet?

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Shaocaholica posted:

Count me in. Is that thing out yet?

Yup. $399.99, unsure if sold separately.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Welmu posted:

Yup. $399.99, unsure if sold separately.

Well I'm sure there's some pussies out there who are going to not use it and hopefully sell it. Also copycats.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Shaocaholica posted:

Also copycats.
Odd someone else hasn't sold this before since it mounts in place of the standard CPU retention mechanism. Kinda reminds me of AMD shimms of yore.

Intel could probably make their own version boxed with a tray Devil's Canyon chip lacking the IHS. No delidding required! At the very least they could offer tray versions of 4*90Ks. I wonder why they don't as I suspect the majority of people who buy one will use a better heatsink anyway.

Shaocaholica posted:

Made of plated copper, not sure what the plating is.
Nickel.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 10, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
That thing is nice, but it isn't $400 nice (to me). The water cooled VRM's seem neater to me honestly but ... still

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

If you are going to be using customer water, why not buy an EK Supremacy (The Best Waterblock™) and then use the Precisemount Naked Ivy addon to mount directly? Saves buying a motherboard you don't want just for the guard, and easier than trying to buy a resold one.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BurritoJustice posted:

If you are going to be using customer water, why not buy an EK Supremacy (The Best Waterblock™) and then use the Precisemount Naked Ivy addon to mount directly? Saves buying a motherboard you don't want just for the guard, and easier than trying to buy a resold one.

That's not really the same thing.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
1st results are up for the unlocked G3258 Devil's Canyon Pentium chip. The other submissions so far aren't impressive as a hypothetical unlocked Haswell i3 could be, but ~6.862ghz is pretty neat for a dual-core on liquid nitrogen, and for being an early result it's already higher than the record e8400.

edit: Kinda wish it was possible to search ES and retail CPUs separately in HWBot results.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 9, 2014

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

That's not really the same thing.

To be fair if he is using custom water it serves the same purpose and is only 4 dollars for the mounting kit. Won't work for aircoolers or whatever, but who uses aircoolers with 400 dollar motherboards and delidded CPUs anyway.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

BurritoJustice posted:

To be fair if he is using custom water it serves the same purpose and is only 4 dollars for the mounting kit. Won't work for aircoolers or whatever, but who uses aircoolers with 400 dollar motherboards and delidded CPUs anyway.

Just having something hold the CPU there and also prevent crushing the core is worth it air or water. I'd gladly pay up to $50 for something like that if it where machined. $25 if it were plastic and I think plastic might even be better.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Shaocaholica posted:

Just having something hold the CPU there and also prevent crushing the core is worth it air or water. I'd gladly pay up to $50 for something like that if it where machined. $25 if it were plastic and I think plastic might even be better.
If only these could be 3D printed...

BurritoJustice posted:

If you are going to be using customer water, why not buy an EK Supremacy (The Best Waterblock™) and then use the Precisemount Naked Ivy addon to mount directly?
I have to buy those anyway since the PreciseMount comes with slightly lower standoffs than the ones included with an EK Supremacy waterblock.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 10, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Alereon posted:

Devil's Canyon CPUs now support VT-d and TSX-NI, the new CPU features that were previously disabled on K-edition processors. This should debunk the idea that there were any reasons other than market segmentation that these features were previously disabled.

OK this is some loving bullshit. Not much else to say about it, except god drat it thanks for the loving, Intel!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Welmu posted:

If only these could be 3D printed

They could but you'd need to spend some time hand finishing to get the tolerances. Even if I had a printer I'd still rather just pay for a mass made one. Now if I had a milling machine...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Agreed posted:

OK this is some loving bullshit. Not much else to say about it, except god drat it thanks for the loving, Intel!

How many generations did Intel cripple?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Toms and hardocp both seem to be hitting walls around 4.7 on devils canyon. So much for 5.5ghz air.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Toms and hardocp both seem to be hitting walls around 4.7 on devils canyon. So much for 5.5ghz air.

Pfft yeah. Despite a sweet offer I've gotten for my mobo and cpu I kind of doubt I'll be going for it. I mean it still seems like a great processor and all (and really what I thought the 4770k should have been at to start with) but drat... And honestly the Tom's numbers seemed pretty good, I mean they stuck with 1.31v. Still, slightly above average at best, and looks like I'd want to delid anyways.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Alereon posted:

Re: the angry/annoyed remarks...

It's quite possible previous chips did not pass validation and those things were disabled. That happens all the time. Intel's manufacturing process is always improving; they may have decided that "Okay, we can now reliably produce i7 chips that pass these feature tests."
Or it could very well be a marketing trick. But I wouldn't jump to either conclusion too readily without more information.

And have y'all really been simultaneously virtualizing a bunch of systems on an i7 rather than a Xeon? That's not exactly the right tool for the job.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Don Lapre posted:

Thats without delidding right? I'm stuck on haswell at 4.4 delidded and water. I really really want to do 5ghz delidded. Thats all I want. A nice round number like five point oh.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Shaocaholica posted:

Thats without delidding right? I'm stuck on haswell at 4.4 delidded and water. I really really want to do 5ghz delidded. Thats all I want. A nice round number like five point oh.

Yep.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess reviewers aren't allowed to delid their samples? They gotta send them back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Or they just havn't tried yet. They probably just got these samples in a few days ago.