Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

The current attitude of elitism being expressed here with regard to BMWs is very disappointing. I expect better from people.

I can't even tell if you're sarcastic anymore. Didn't you ask earlier about "who the gently caress buys a Golf when you can get a *premium brand* car? :smugdog:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I can't even tell if you're sarcastic anymore. Didn't you ask earlier about "who the gently caress buys a Golf when you can get a *premium brand* car? :smugdog:"
I was pretty certain my last post was obviously taking the piss blatantly enough for almost anyone to work it out.

The Golf GTi vs M135i thing is serious, though not for :smugdog: reasons. Discussing for the only market I have good knowledge of, and the one I would purchase a car in, I don't see why anyone would spend about £28k on a GTi when you can have a similarly-specced M135i for £2k more.

I don't think of BMW as a premium brand in the sense of "poors will be jealous of you" sense (and frankly I loving hate people who buy BMWs for that reason), but in the sense that I've sat in both, and the BMW feels better quality. I only mentioned image as a factor because I was referencing the discussion about Lincoln being able to compete in a sector where image is important, not because the image matters to me personally.

If I have a sense of elitism about it, it's drivetrain layout snobbery rather than badge snobbery.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 8, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

InitialDave posted:

I was pretty certain my last post was obviously taking the piss blatantly enough for almost anyone to work it out.

Well, you *are* InitialDave, grumpy young man extraordinaire.

And I do agree on just letting "Mini" as we know it today just die.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
So..what's up guys? Don't know what we're discussing now (How lovely the 1 series is or something) but how about that Fiesta ST? I keep checking them out and I like. Think I might wait for the to start popping up used for a price that isn't basically MSRP.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well, you *are* InitialDave, grumpy young man extraordinaire.
Yeah, I really do need to keep an eye on that. :sigh:

travisray2004 posted:

So..what's up guys? Don't know what we're discussing now (How lovely the 1 series is or something) but how about that Fiesta ST? I keep checking them out and I like. Think I might wait for the to start popping up used for a price that isn't basically MSRP.
They always strike me as being very good value, especially as Ford dealers here will do you a warranty-approved tuning pack to kick them up to over 200bhp for a few hundred pounds.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are 3 new fiesta STs in alberta, and they're all listed at over $29k. That doesn't bode well for a lot of used ones being available.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

There are 3 new fiesta STs in alberta, and they're all listed at over $29k. That doesn't bode well for a lot of used ones being available.

Granted it's slightly more practical than a V6 Mustang, but... what the gently caress?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

Granted it's slightly more practical than a V6 Mustang, but... what the gently caress?

Artificial scarcity. Same thing with the tremor. Either ford or the dealers decided there would only be 100 ford tremors sold in canada. So what is a $18,000 truck with $15,000 in options and a $40,000 sticker they want $50,000 for.

Dealers are scumbags, moreso when they work so closely together so as not to compete with eachother.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Goddamn, that kind of makes me appreciate my local dealer. There's an ST there for I THINK 23k. Although I did see one in the exact same color driving around earlier today so it might have already sold.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

Artificial scarcity. Same thing with the tremor. Either ford or the dealers decided there would only be 100 ford tremors sold in canada. So what is a $18,000 truck with $15,000 in options and a $40,000 sticker they want $50,000 for.

Dealers are scumbags, moreso when they work so closely together so as not to compete with eachother.

The dealers will only sell vehicles for what people will pay for them, otherwise they'll go out of business. Who supposes they need a Fiesta ST so badly that they'd pay more for it than a well-equipped Mustang V6? The consumer is part of the problem, too (same with high-end makers like Land Rover selling "scarce" cars above MSRP -- as long as they are selling them, why would they accept less?).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I went from a 5 series BMW to a VW Golf* because I am my own man :smug:

travisray2004 posted:

Pretty sure the Fiesta ST (along with the Focus ST) is one of the best cars a typical AI type can buy new, especially taking in performance vs. cost vs. practicality.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I found the Fiesta ST to be a good car to drive, but it has no character. I'd have a 500 Abarth every time, power deficit and sloppy shifter be damned. Add the big price difference between them here in Canada and it's a no brainer for me.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

InitialDave posted:

The current attitude of elitism being expressed here with regard to BMWs is very disappointing. I expect better from people.

Everyone who goes to a BMW dealer should be asked if they have owned an E30, if they really liked it, and if they would honestly prefer BMW to still make them. Lifetime ban unless you can answer "yes" to all three questions. X1, X3 and X5 production should be scaled back to the point where only enough are built so that every dealership can have one of each, as bait for people who may be interested in buying one. If they express such interest, you shoot them.

Also, nothing available that isn't RWD only and with a straight six (unless you specifically ask for an S14, at which point they press a button under the sales desk which causes balloons and streamers to fall from the ceiling, and you are crowned king/queen of the dealership for the day), and the entire Mini division shut down permanently.

There we go, that's how you do it.

This, but unironically. Same for Mercedes and Volvo.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

That thread title only exists because i was taking the piss out of hotcanadianchick, don't use it against me.

Does it really count if you were making me laugh my rear end off? :D

InitialDave posted:

If I have a sense of elitism about it, it's drivetrain layout snobbery rather than badge snobbery.

I feel the same way. Badge snobs/brand fanboys bug the gently caress outta me. Before I bought my current car (BMW), I was cross shopping MR2s and Miatas. The BMW didnt win my purchase because of the badge, it won because it was just as fun to drive, but had four seats. Stick, RWD, enough power to get out of it's own way, decent handling, pretty much all I really care about.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 9, 2014

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Open source electric cars?

Elon Musk says he might release a few of Teslas inventions to the market and help competition vs petrol cars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27741041

quote:

Tesla boss Elon Musk has given the strongest hint yet that the firm is considering "freeing" its patents to help speed up electric car development.

When asked by the BBC's Theo Leggett if he was considering giving technology away, Mr Musk said "you're on the right track".

Mr Musk said he hoped to break down technological barriers to help speed up electric car adoption.

The firm will deliver the first five of its Model S cars to the UK on Saturday.

Mr Musk told the BBC: "We don't want to cut a path through the jungle and then lay a bunch of landmines behind us."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, the new Fit is near to or best in class in every single measurable metric, and despite being a little softer than the last one, is still considered one of the best driver's cars in the class.

if you're shopping in that class for the best driver's car you should be executed

I'd smack anyone who touted its sporty capabilities

e- also Honda is currently leading the "interior made of the cheapest plastics" category

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Apparently, the new S-class coupe will lean into corners for "increasing pleasure for the driver and passengers".

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1092532_mercedes-details-2015-s-class-coupes-curve-tilting-function

Soon, cars will no longer lean the wrong way under cornering.

E: As the resident frankautophile, it behooves me to point out that Citroën had a similar system in the early 90s. The Xantia Activa was capable of cornering completely flat, and was faster through the infamous moose test than a Porsche 911 GT2 (996). They originally made the system lean into corners like the above-mentioned Mercedes system, but scrapped it again and stuck with flat cornering because drivers reported that it felt disconcerting.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 9, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

VikingSkull posted:

if you're shopping in that class for the best driver's car you should be executed

e- also Honda is currently leading the "interior made of the cheapest plastics" category

Heh, loving poors thinking they have any right to enjoy what they drive.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

KozmoNaut posted:

Apparently, the new S-class coupe will lean into corners for "increasing pleasure for the driver and passengers".

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1092532_mercedes-details-2015-s-class-coupes-curve-tilting-function

Soon, cars will no longer lean the wrong way under cornering.

E: As the resident frankautophile, it behooves me to point out that Citroën had a similar system in the early 90s. The Xantia Activa was capable of cornering completely flat, and was faster through the infamous moose test than a Porsche 911 GT2 (996). They originally made the system lean into corners like the above-mentioned Mercedes system, but scrapped it again and stuck with flat cornering because drivers reported that it felt disconcerting.
I thought the optional S-class active suspension has had a version of this since the W140 S600? I know Land Rover has been using something similar on various Range Rovers and Discoveries since 99 or so.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EnergizerFellow posted:

I thought the optional S-class active suspension has had a version of this since the W140 S600? I know Land Rover has been using something similar on various Range Rovers and Discoveries since 99 or so.

I think the W140 had hydropneumatic rear suspension only. The W220 got air suspension on all four wheels, but it only gave level cornering and didn't actively lean into corners.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

VikingSkull posted:

What's wrong with wanting your shitbox to be a decent driver?

And Honda has been turning it around on the cheap plastics front. They bottomed out with the last Fit and Civic, and the newer cars have gotten significantly nicer. Also, the cheap hard plastic in my '08 Si still look like new after 6 years in the Texas sun, while the nice soft touch stuff in my garage-kept 2000 GTI looked like poo poo in just 2 years.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PeterWeller posted:

Also, I kind of view it as showing inherently good design. If they can make the cooking models broadly right, it bodes well for the performance versions, rather than it meaning the quick ones are either completely re-engineered or a "lipstick on a pig" situation.

The old Mk4/5 Fiestas, for instance ('96 to early 2000s). Completely underpowered, but a very nice chassis you can drive like a complete tit constantly.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I think the 1st gen Infiniti Q45 did something similar with its suspension. The left front and right rear (and vice versa) shocks were linked to allow the car to remain flat during cornering.

Here's a link to an ad for it: http://books.google.ca/books?id=SPw...ved=0CCMQ6AEwAQ

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 9, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PeterWeller posted:

Nothing.

Point is I don't think the Fit is close to bring top of class there - I know a lot of the better small cars don't make it to the States but you get the 2 and the Fiesta both of which are much better to drive.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

I think the 1st gen Infiniti Q45 did something similar with its suspension. The left front and right rear (and vice versa) shocks were linked to allow the car to remain flat during cornering.

Here's a link to an ad for it: http://books.google.ca/books?id=SPw...ved=0CCMQ6AEwAQ

BMW has had the same thing for years, Electronic adjustable Dampers (shocks) aka DDC and Electronic adjustable sway bars aka ARS and if you get them both it's called Adaptive Drive or Dynamic Handling or whatever their buzzword generator created for that model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Y4SIlDSIM

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

All I can see when I watch that video is a grim future full of really expensive repair bills.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Guinness posted:

All I can see when I watch that video is a grim future full of really expensive repair bills.

This is my car xenophobia coming out but when I see something like that my reaction is if the Japanese didn't make that I don't want it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Just wait, twenty years from now Japanese cars will be relative shitheaps coasting along on a reputation for engineering excellence built decades in the past and everyone but Toyota fanboys in denial will recognize the Koreans as the global leaders in automotive engineering excellence.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Just wait, two years from now Japanese cars will be relative shitheaps coasting along on a reputation for engineering excellence built decades in the past and everyone but Toyota fanboys in denial will recognize the Koreans as the global leaders in automotive engineering excellence.

Better.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Except Mazda, because Mazda supremacy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Wheeee posted:

Just wait, twenty years from now Japanese cars will be relative shitheaps coasting along on a reputation for engineering excellence built decades in the past and everyone but Toyota fanboys in denial will recognize the Koreans as the global leaders in automotive engineering excellence.

I think everyone (Koreans included) will start do de-contented, cheaper to produce versions of their cars for the US domestic market.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

and, at that point, we will recognize Chery and Geely as promising upstarts

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Guinness posted:

That's why most people that buy them new have a 3-year turn and burn lease while maintenance/warranty basically cover anything. The second owner assumes increased risk and the 3rd/4th owners get their asses handed to them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Alfa released their initial dealer points today. I hope this works.

Somehow, zero are in Massachusetts, Maine or NH, but there is one in Williston, VT :wtc:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm surprised they're skipping alberta. seems like a big moneyed up market to ignore.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Powershift posted:

I'm surprised they're skipping alberta. seems like a big moneyed up market to ignore.

When I was there four years ago, the money seemed to go to the most expensive BOF truck that one could find.

It's just an initial list, anyway - FCA suggests they'll open about 300 total points once they have a full lineup Which will never loving happen RIP Alfa 2.0

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

no bro trucks in the lineup, no point.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Linedance posted:

no bro trucks in the lineup, no point.

I didn't realize all those GT-Rs, corvettes, and high end bmws driving around are bro trucks.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

I didn't realize all those GT-Rs, corvettes, and high end bmws driving around are bro trucks.

Bro truck's in the shop, suspension broke again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Alfa released their initial dealer points today. I hope this works.

Somehow, zero are in Massachusetts, Maine or NH, but there is one in Williston, VT :wtc:

Mass didn't get one on RT1 Norwood where the Fiat dealer complex is? Or even down the road at the Maserati/Ferrari place? They have a ton of land! But bumfuck Vermont gets one. More than plenty of jerks with money in the Boston area, what gives Alfa?