Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Waffleman_ posted:

Also he is a bad mafia boss who makes his mafia do bad things like drugs. Giorno wants to be a good mafia leader and have the mafia do good things like make pizza.

The mafia slowly losing their edge and becoming a colorful local group that throws pancake breakfasts would be a pretty good premise for a comedy story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Really wonder how they are going to splice in that Rolling Stones episode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Maybe they'll show it in between Giorno's debut and his meeting with Bucciarati.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's gonna be at the end of the show like it was in the manga.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'm enjoying this season, but I'm asking: Do part 3 stands ever get more interesting? The Ripple not only had more utility, it looked way cooler. It seemed to come from within, while stand-battles feel like pokemon fights.

I read part 7, and the stands there are much better. Instead of megaman-esque Punchman/Fireman/Swordman duders, the powers are ridiculous and the fights play out like bizarre superhero battles where superpowers were drawn from a hat.

So I know it gets better. But does it happen sooner rather than later?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
What, aren't mummy dudes that stab people through mirrors, possessed voodoo dolls and a goddamn living tanker not weird enough for you? If so, then yes, poo poo gets even more bizarre down the line starting from about where the anime currently is.

Also that the hell are you doing reading parts out of order?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

HellCopter posted:

I'm enjoying this season, but I'm asking: Do part 3 stands ever get more interesting? The Ripple not only had more utility, it looked way cooler. It seemed to come from within, while stand-battles feel like pokemon fights.

I read part 7, and the stands there are much better. Instead of megaman-esque Punchman/Fireman/Swordman duders, the powers are ridiculous and the fights play out like bizarre superhero battles where superpowers were drawn from a hat.

I'll say that they do, yes. The latter half is really fun.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

HellCopter posted:

The biggest improvement comes when Stands switch from the Major Arcana + Color naming scheme to a different one. We're a large handful of Stand users away from that, but there are some really good/interesting battles on the way.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

HellCopter posted:

The Ripple not only had more utility, it looked way cooler. It seemed to come from within, while stand-battles feel like pokemon fights.

Did it though? All anyone ever did was "I make my fist/this weapon glowy and do more damage", "I made this organic, normally harmless thing a deadly projectile" and a bunch of stuff involving magnetism that was mostly only used once and never again.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I always find the pokemon comparisons weird since SC started before pokémon existed. Main characters get cooler powers over time but at first they were pretty simple, that's a logical progression.

Villains had weird stands from the beginning though.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 9, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Ripple was basically "Here's a thing that lets you punch vampires" and little else.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Also make people barf doves.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A pre-order page for a Viz release of Phantom Blood has appeared on Amazon for February 2015.

This could mean nothing or it could mean a lot.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

I always find the pokemon comparisons weird since SC started before pokémon existed. Main characters get cooler powers over time but at first they were pretty simple, that's a logical progression.

Villains had weird stands from the beginning though.

The pokemon comparison is also weird because Stands are nothing like pokemon.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Cerebral Bore posted:

Also that the hell are you doing reading parts out of order?

You might as well skip to the good parts and read the boring ones later. I don't feel like reading part 5 after 6 really made me miss out on anything.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Momomo posted:

You might as well skip to the good parts and read the boring ones later. I don't feel like reading part 5 after 6 really made me miss out on anything.

Or you could be a normal person and read stuff in its intended order, whats the fuckin' rush all of jojo is great.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Even the worst jojo is still good stuff.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Uznare posted:

Or you could be a normal person and read stuff in its intended order, whats the fuckin' rush all of jojo is great.

Or you could just have fun with it and read whatever you want.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Cerebral Bore posted:

The pokemon comparison is also weird because Stands are nothing like pokemon.

The point is, the characters are fighting with something that is visually separate from themselves. It doesn't matter that Star Platinum somehow represents Jotaro and is just a projection of his psyche or whatever. It's effectively a buff dude that follows him around.

And I skipped to part 7 because it shares no continuity with the rest, while I don't want to start part 4 until part 3 is over.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Part 3 has been over for 22 years.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

THIS MEANS EVERYTHING

oh my god, the anime actually getting on adult swim is getting realer and realer every second. Between this and the Monster Omnibus announcements I don't know if I'll actually be able to survive.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sorry for the double post but between Monster omnibuses, Platinum's Xbone game, and JoJo finally getting English releases starting from the top this has been an emotional day.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
SBR is the one part where stands are only powers that people have and never actually do the fighting for the user.

I think the only stands like that are D4C, Tusk, and Ball Breaker.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

SBR is the one part where stands are only powers that people have and never actually do the fighting for the user.

I think the only stands like that are D4C, Tusk, and Ball Breaker.

Don't forget The World

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I dunno about having to read everything in order, when I started reading 6 had just started and 4 was either Duwang or non-existant. So, I ended up finishing 3, 1, 2, 5 and then followed 6, and dropped 7 a couple of chapters in because I wasn't really feeling it. Recently I caught up on 8 and went back to finish 4 and 7.

Read what you think will be entertaining. A lot of people love Steel Ball Run, but for me I wasn't really into it at the beginning and when I did go back I felt it really fell apart around Civil War.

Waffleman_ posted:

Don't forget The World

This was the worst. The big bad guy wad already beat, so this antagonist with a Part 3 power gets thrown in to fill the ending out with some sort of tension I guess. The way it gets beat was pretty satisfying, though. Kira and Diego being defeated by non-stand users was pretty cool. Spoilers for parts 4 and 7.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 9, 2014

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Waffleman_ posted:

Don't forget The World

Or Hey Ya!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I was gonna say Heya, but he doesn't much more than tell Pocoloco stuff.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm still disappointed that Hey Ya wasn't named Get Lucky.

Edit: I'm also disappointed that Pocoloco's stand has the same name as his horse. It feels uncharacteristically lazy.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 9, 2014

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Broseph Brostar posted:

I was gonna say Heya, but he doesn't much more than tell Pocoloco stuff.

Yeah, but it's still one of few "classic" stands in SBR.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
All this being said, Tomb of the Boom will probably be the best stand name ever.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Beef Waifu posted:

All this being said, Tomb of the Boom will probably be the best stand name ever.

Not Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm still disappointed that Hey Ya wasn't named Get Lucky.

Edit: I'm also disappointed that Pocoloco's stand has the same name as his horse. It feels uncharacteristically lazy.

Human after all wasn't even out when hey ya first appeared

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

1. Get Lucky was from Random Access Memories.

2. Hey Ya was only named in Jojoveller, which came out a few months after Random Access Memories. I know it might still have been too late, but I was half-serious anyway.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Potsticker posted:

Not Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap?

I believe you mean Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price.

(He should've been called the United States of Whatever though)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Momomo posted:

I believe you mean Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price.

(He should've been called the United States of Whatever though)

I almost went with the Filthy Acts translation. If SBR ever comes out here I really hope they keep that localization.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Stand was named D4C in the game. Filthy Acts was just the name of one of his specials.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Waffleman_ posted:

1. Get Lucky was from Random Access Memories.

2. Hey Ya was only named in Jojoveller, which came out a few months after Random Access Memories. I know it might still have been too late, but I was half-serious anyway.

Yes but I meant that get lucky came out in 2013, and daft punks 2005 album was not out when the stand first appeared. Of course I forgot it was named in the extras book

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am honestly shocked Araki has still not done a Daft Punk stand yet.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Beef Waifu posted:

"Harder Better Faster Stronger" is Anubis in a nutshell anyway. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Beef Waifu posted:

(Around) The World

• Locked thread